BiGoDeViN (DayZ)

Why kill someone and not loot them?

Poor game design leading to a inadequate outcome of what the game designers wanted the game to "really" be. 

• Like 1

I would argue that if one was to shoot another for no reason then yes that is griefing.

If it is for loot or they were a threat then I would say no it is not.

That's just the silver lining.

I agree however, killing others is fun. A player can be trying to obtain what is the underlining reason we play games "fun" by killing someone without the intention to grief. Unless that fun is obtained by the thought of making someone mad with said kill and not the action it self. 

Edited by Mopa

He saw you as a threat.

He had everything he needed.

He wanted to destroy something beautiful.

Pick one?

I would argue that if one was to shoot another for no reason then yes that is griefing.

He said he was geared. That = threat for me.

Moving through an area is dangerous when it has a few unknowns toting rifles running about.

Even if they are friendly, I don't know the army guy is any different from every other army guy. Calling out is a good way to reveal my position and get ganked because 95% of elektro army dudes are there for the slaughter.

He said he was geared. That = threat for me.

Moving through an area is dangerous when it has a few unknowns toting rifles running about.

Even if they are friendly, I don't know the army guy is any different from every other army guy. Calling out is a good way to reveal my position and get ganked because 95% of elektro army dudes are there for the slaughter.

However, why would anyone who is geared be in elek or a busy town? The reason is to have fun in their own style. As a bandit, hero, random or what ever who knows. Either way if a geared player is in elek and shooting on sight they are kos. If thats kos to grief (do it for the pleasure of knowing someone will be mad or upset) or a method to obtain fun (just for the thrill of the kill and no pleasure from making them mad etc)... well thats up to interpretation. 

Edited by Mopa

However, why would anyone who is geared be in elek or a busy town? The reason is to have fun in their own style. As a bandit, hero, random or what ever who knows. Either way if a geared player is in elek and shooting on sight they are kos. If thats kos to grief (do it for the pleasure of knowing someone will be mad or upset) or a method to obtain fun (just for the thrill of the kill and no pleasure from making them mad etc)... well thats up to interpretation. 

I was in elektro today geared up, trying to pull a friend out and trying to find him saline. Yes we could have just switched to a low pop server but that ruins the game for me.

I had to take out 3 players in my rescue attempt but let far more than that live.

I was in elektro today geared up, trying to pull a friend out and trying to find him saline. Yes we could have just switched to a low pop server but that ruins the game for me.

I had to take out 3 players in my rescue attempt but let far more than that live.

Thats awesome and exactly why I added the part about how sometimes people are just doing what ever they find fun in game. I'm sure you didn't kill people to grief and even if you did, whats to stop you? 

If a kos is done as a grief it is 100% based on the driving force behind why that player done the kos in the first place. Fun, to make someone mad, to play the game in a certain style to help a friend, who knows. 

I think it is safe to say most kills are "fun" and or "grief" related though. 

Edited by Mopa

I personally Kill for the feeling of gratification after you successfully live longer than someone else by ending their life.
dr_phil.jpg

• Like 2

Thats awesome and exactly why I added the part about how sometimes people are just doing what ever they find fun in game. I'm sure you didn't kill people to grief and even if you did, whats to stop you? 

If a kos is a grief is 100% based on the driving force behind why that player done the kos in the first place. Fun, to make someone mad, to play the game in a certain style to help a friend, who knows. 

I think it is safe to say most kills are "fun" and "grief" related though. 

Only one of them was unarmed, but I was pinned in the hospital after taking one out on the stairs and a sniper off the roof, he climbed the ladder and ran for the snipers body that had a pristine mosin and a lot of ammo on it. Snap decision was to put him out of my misery so I wouldn't have to worry about him. I could have scared him off but would have been wondering if he was waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs when we eventually made our escape.

Shootin somebody is now griefing? carebear much?

Maybe he thought OP was a threat, maybe he did it for the lulz, maybe he was target practising with live bambies, maybe he didnt need anything OP had on him.

I shoot people left, right and center, does that make me a griefer as wel?

according to the butthurt brigade, yes. you are a griefer dick.

which i support fully- if my actions equate to grief, then i am winning MY game, by making you mad and causing you grief.

• Like 1

I personally Kill for the feeling of gratification after you successfully live longer than someone else by ending their life.

dr_phil.jpg

First off I am a big fan of you Dr. 

Second this sounds like a mixture of both and what I reckon would be the most common reason a kos happens. Fun and "grief". It is fun to kill someone and to out play someone, it is fun to get into situations that are panic filled and its fun to know that the spoils of this is someone being alerted to the fact someone else has "bested" them. 

As long as you consider a game riddled with desync as a skill game. The amount of times I have seen players desync out of a wall and or stay still when they are obviously running and die to a single shot in a vulnerable desync is derp. Pretty much playing roulette. 

according to the butthurt brigade, yes. you are a griefer dick.

which i support fully- if my actions equate to grief, then i am winning MY game, by making you mad and causing you grief.

This is the sign of a more grief motivated player. Bet he has fun though haha. All in all the game is ill designed to not be a kos dm game. 
Edited by Mopa

Because some players are just plain stupid.

Or maybe they have everything they want. What else are you suppose to do? Kill zombies no you have more then enough ammo there would be no point in the game if you have everything you want or need then there is no point in looting. Maybe the person is leaving the body for the bambis.

Or maybe they have everything they want. What else are you suppose to do? Kill zombies no you have more then enough ammo there would be no point in the game if you have everything you want or need then there is no point in looting. Maybe the person is leaving the body for the bambis.

That's silly. There isn't much meta game in DayZ but killing on sight isn't the only thing to do once geared.

You can join the TWMs, become a Hero or be a true Bandit and try and hold people up. There's plenty of other shit to do besides "kill da carebarez lmao get rekt #FazeClan"

That's silly. There isn't much meta game in DayZ but killing on sight isn't the only thing to do once geared.

You can join the TWMs, become a Hero or be a true Bandit and try and hold people up. There's plenty of other shit to do besides "kill da carebarez lmao get rekt #FazeClan"

LOLOLOLOL! What's the fun in being a hero? I mean i get it you are a nice person but do you gain from it? nothing if anything you lose stuff. We KOS so that we aren't KOS'd It's the way to survive and i agree holding people up is fun but if it's a geared person they know they are gonna die or be tortured so they are just gonna turn around and kill you so why give them chance or hope of life???

LOLOLOLOL! What's the fun in being a hero? I mean i get it you are a nice person but do you gain from it? nothing if anything you lose stuff. We KOS so that we aren't KOS'd It's the way to survive and i agree holding people up is fun but if it's a geared person they know they are gonna die or be tortured so they are just gonna turn around and kill you so why give them chance or hope of life???

The fun? Knowing you helped someone. I don't know about you, but helping people feels nice. Giving bums money, giving a drunk guy on the streets a ride home. It's the thought of knowing you helped someone. Yeah, in DayZ you lose stuff. That's the point. Going around popping off rounds will only eventually get you killed. Then you lose everything.

And being a hero doesn't always mean just giving shit away. It means helping people. Killing Bandits who are torturing a Bambi. Or holding someone up. Once you have everything, it gets boring. But instead of just KoSing everyone, you can do something else with your character.

Not that I think KoSing is bad. But your point is that "there's not much to do but KoS" when there's plenty to do. If everyone just KoS as soon as they're geared, it becomes pointless. Unless you get people like the TWM or freelance Heroes.

So, story time.

Me and a buddy are running through Elektro. We get to the school house and someone opens fire on us. I'm thinking a .22 because my friend ate a few and was still standing. I get visual and shoot our assailant. Dsync fucks with it and he disappears. So we regroup and patch up and move out. We get to the Grocery store and we both get popped and dropped. I'm unconscious and my friend is dead.

I'm sitting there waiting, I was fully geared and had lived quiet a while. But I only end up waking up. I patch myself up and run off. The part that pisses me off is all of my gear was on me. Nothing was ruined accept my chest shit. And all of my decent stuff was in my pack anyway. He KoS'd, whatever. But despite the fact he was on top of us, he made no attempt to take anything. I don't understand why? Is he just looking for a fight? Like, what's the point? Why shoot me for no gain other than killing?

Only the most douchebag gameplay styles are encouraged in the Standalone.

Welcome to the Permadeath Deathmatch KOS Standalone.  People just shoot eachother for stuff to do.  

If they had an Effective Humanity System, there would be other valid gameplay styles.  Until then, just KOS everyone you see.  You'll enjoy the game more.

• Like 1

Because some players are just plain stupid.

you are stupid. Why would he loot your pathetic beans and rags when he probably had everything he needs? I never loot people I shoot, isn't worth a risk, and actually I do not need to loot them. I can find stuff on my own.

you are stupid. Why would he loot your pathetic beans and rags when he probably had everything he needs? I never loot people I shoot, isn't worth a risk, and actually I do not need to loot them. I can find stuff on my own.

Welcome to the Permadeath Deathmatch KOS Standalone.  People just shoot eachother for stuff to do.  

Point proven...........lol

• Like 1

Bro I kill people just because they look oddly at me..

Oh wait, no I don't. I just kill people.

But griefing is something els, griefing is when you kill somebody over and over again for no apperant gain but your own satifaction derived from ruining their gaming experience.

That is griefing.

Edited by Massacre

Like, what's the point? Why shoot me for no gain other than killing?

Killing is a big gain in and of itself.  One moment you're there, the next, you're not.   Dead players don't shoot you.

Ask yourself this - what do they have to gain from making loud noises and then sticking around to see if you have anything worth taking?   The fact that you did eventually wake up should make this obvious.  What if you had woken up while they were looting your buddy?

Rummaging through someone's crap in the middle of a town or city is a bad idea.

Poor game design leading to a inadequate outcome of what the game designers wanted the game to "really" be. 

^^^pretty much this^^^

i'd bet the farm that whateva game Rocket makes next has coding/rules in regards to player interaction.

• Like 1

So, story time.

Me and a buddy are running through Elektro. We get to the school house and someone opens fire on us. I'm thinking a .22 because my friend ate a few and was still standing. I get visual and shoot our assailant. Dsync fucks with it and he disappears. So we regroup and patch up and move out. We get to the Grocery store and we both get popped and dropped. I'm unconscious and my friend is dead.

I'm sitting there waiting, I was fully geared and had lived quiet a while. But I only end up waking up. I patch myself up and run off. The part that pisses me off is all of my gear was on me. Nothing was ruined accept my chest shit. And all of my decent stuff was in my pack anyway. He KoS'd, whatever. But despite the fact he was on top of us, he made no attempt to take anything. I don't understand why? Is he just looking for a fight? Like, what's the point? Why shoot me for no gain other than killing?

because fun. this game hasn't gotten to the point where you actually need to kill others for their loot. after spawning on the shore, i can be fully geared up and healthy within an hour. what do i need other people's stuff for? the only thing i really ever loot is ammo and weapon attachments; other than that, i just kill for the lulz.

Meh the only thing that has pissed me off is the sad little runt who shot me, a freshspawn, in the leg on purpose and left me.

Seriously, that is griefing, because there is no way to suicide or start again, you have to wait and hope a zombie finds you.  I dragged myself up that damn road trying to find a zombie or anyone to kill me.

The little twat didn't even have the decency to talk to me, taunt me even, he just stood over me to make sure I was still moving, then ran off.

So, story time.

Your profile picture explains it all.