hannibaldaplaya

Concerned about the Sawn Off

we died to a random mosin dude!   will look for a shotgun the next days ....

edit:

me and my buddy feel, that the perfect distance for shooting with the shotties is 5m with the sawn off and aaround 10m with the normal one! also couldnt load those green shotgun pellets....    darn it.  i want to see people flying around when hit by shotties^^  

they have those physics right ?

Edited by brumey

we died to a random mosin dude!   will look for a shotgun the next days ....

edit:

me and my buddy feel, that the perfect distance for shooting with the shotties is 5m with the sawn off and aaround 10m with the normal one! also couldnt load those green shotgun pellets....    darn it.  i want to see people flying around when hit by shotties^^  

they have those physics right ?

The force of impact is never higher than the force of recoil.

So if someone would fly back from impact the shooter would do the same.

With high powered rifles people might fall in the direction of the shooter when the bullet exits the body and creates a jet of blood and tissue that can push a lifeless body over.

(sorry to burst your bubble ;) )

Edited by Rauchsauger

The force of impact is never higher than the force of recoil.

So if someone would fly back from impact the shooter would do the same.

With high powered rifles people might fall in the direction of the shooter when the bullet exits the body and creates a jet of blood and tissue that can push a lifeless body over.

(sorry to burst your bubble ;) )

yeah  BUT

u can counterforce the force of recoil!    People not always see shotgun shots coming, therefore not always able to Position their feet (mass centre)so they can counterforce the force of Impact!.   seen ?

yeah  BUT

u can counterforce the force of recoil!    People not always see shotgun shots coming, therefore not always able to Position their feet (mass centre)so they can counterforce the force of Impact!.   seen ?

Sure that would push 'em over or kick their legs out from under them depending where they are hit.

(Given that they are not running and  are dead on impact since then there would be a lot of momentum that has to be overcome/changed in direction)

Don't get me wrong: For all I care they could somersault back on being hit 'cause that would add spectacle. But I doubt the Devs will add it in because of "reasons" (*realism*)

whats up with those green shotgun pellets?!?

i got some from a dude that had an old character......    couldnt load them into the shotty!

whats up with those green shotgun pellets?!?

i got some from a dude that had an old character......    couldnt load them into the shotty!

They're 12G Slug shots. Don't think they've been coded in yet?

I use a shotgun almost exclusively.  Not a sawed off because their spread is pretty horrendous, but a regular one.  I've noticed recently the spread on the regular shotgun seems higher as well, and I'm routinely shooting guys at reasonable ranges and having the large majority of my pellets miss.

I think both versions could use a little bit of love.  I still find the long version deadly enough, but the spread should be tightened slightly again.  The sawed off obviously needs quite a bit more love.

Brumey, those are slugs and they were removed from the game.  I'd like to see them re-implemented and actually working.

I use a shotgun almost exclusively.  Not a sawed off because their spread is pretty horrendous, but a regular one.  I've noticed recently the spread on the regular shotgun seems higher as well, and I'm routinely shooting guys at reasonable ranges and having the large majority of my pellets miss.

I think both versions could use a little bit of love.  I still find the long version deadly enough, but the spread should be tightened slightly again.  The sawed off obviously needs quite a bit more love.

Brumey, those are slugs and they were removed from the game.  I'd like to see them re-implemented and actually working.

Exclusive user of the shotgun? That's a mighty respectable stance you took up for a challenge there. Just how effective is the shotgun? I shy away from it unless as a last resort when a fresh spawn or 'till I get a pistol as a sawn-off. I'd like to think that a shotgun has an effective range of about 50~100 meters with harsh injury potential going to about 150~ish meters if (un)lucky depending on how tight the pellets are. 

is this some kind of rubber bullets not killing the target only making him unconscious ??!!?

Edited by brumey

is this some kind of rubber bullets not killing the target only making him unconscious ??!!?

The entire opposite. A shotgun Slug is a literal lump of lead in the shape of a shotgun shell, which may or maynot be saboted for accuracy. 

so its basically a bullet and not shrapnel ?

Essentially, yes the slug is just like a bullet. A big, big bullet. A typical 12 Gauge buckshot has pellets, tiny-ass metal balls that get fired out of the shotgun. Shrapnel is typically the result of fragmentation from an explosion (be it a fragmentation grenade or something blowing up after an explosion and sending off shards all around the place) 

#themoaryouknow

Edited by ManBearus

Essentially, yes the slug is just like a bullet. A big, big bullet. A typical 12 Gauge buckshot has pellets, tiny-ass metal balls that get fired out of the shotgun. Shrapnel is typically the result of fragmentation from an explosion (be it a fragmentation grenade or something blowing up after an explosion and sending off shards all around the place) 

#themoaryouknow

yeah..  thats what i meant with shrapnel....   all those tiny bullets together. i m not a native Speaker!

yeah..  thats what i meant with shrapnel....   all those tiny bullets together. i m not a native Speaker!

No worries! I'm just adding clarification and showing you the proper words c: please don't take anything I've said as negative feedback or anything of the sort :c

Shotgun in DayZ at the moment is horseshit. Nobody is living through a 20 foot away shotgun blast to the back without a lot of chest'n'back body armor. 12 gauge buckshot will put a hole in you + several tiny holes around that hole.

A 12 gauge blast to the chest with body armor on will throw you into some serious shock and will knock you unconscious from 10 feet away.

Now the situation you shot that guy in, that's horseshit right there. You wouldn't have had a face, a front torso,  most of your pelvis, or most of your frontal skin. Your nose would be gone, so would all other facial features, pellets would have traveled into and through your eye sockets if he had gone for spreadshot, and not direct.

IF he had gone for direct, you would just have half a ruler's worth of hole wide and most of a ruler deep hole through your chest. Either way, you die.

They need to buff the shotgun considerably. Anything with that kind of upfront power is of no use after 30 feet, but anywhere below that, there's nearly a guaranteed kill if you know what you're doing, and even if you don't there's a considerable chance the person who has been shot is dead.

I'd post pictures of 12 gauge wounds, but I'm afraid it's inappropriate..

• Like 3

Shotgun in DayZ at the moment is horseshit. Nobody is living through a 20 foot away shotgun blast to the back without a lot of chest'n'back body armor. 12 gauge buckshot will put a hole in you + several tiny holes around that hole.

A 12 gauge blast to the chest with body armor on will throw you into some serious shock and will knock you unconscious from 10 feet away.

Now the situation you shot that guy in, that's horseshit right there. You wouldn't have had a face, a front torso,  most of your pelvis, or most of your frontal skin. Your nose would be gone, so would all other facial features, pellets would have traveled into and through your eye sockets if he had gone for spreadshot, and not direct.

IF he had gone for direct, you would just have half a ruler's worth of hole wide and most of a ruler deep hole through your chest. Either way, you die.

They need to buff the shotgun considerably. Anything with that kind of upfront power is of no use after 30 feet, but anywhere below that, there's nearly a guaranteed kill if you know what you're doing, and even if you don't there's a considerable chance the person who has been shot is dead.

I'd post pictures of 12 gauge wounds, but I'm afraid it's inappropriate..

I like the heart and detail you put to your post <3 though yes, others have reconsidered putting up 12gauge wound images. At best, just tell them to look it up and leave a link to google images. If they decide to look it up then, that's their thing, not yours c:

Is this still valid ? I remember the snaploader bug in previous itterations but havent found the shotty to be underperforming since.

All my Z and Player kills this week , i used the sawed-off ( albeit from rather close range ) and it drops them every time.

maybe this is related to another speedloader bug ?

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel

No worries! I'm just adding clarification and showing you the proper words c: please don't take anything I've said as negative feedback or anything of the sort :c

sure Thing. THANKS

maybe this is related to another speedloader bug ?

I don't think so. The gamefiles say the same velocity as without snaploaders

• Like 2

I don't think so. The gamefiles say the same velocity as without snaploaders

Ah okay, was just trying to figure out what a possible issue could've been. Thanks for the update!

Sawn off and normal shotgun should kill instantly within a certain range, the normal having more range, less damage.

Dchil once said, that the pellets are "linked" together.

So when pellet #1 doesn't do any, or little dmg, the other pellets will do the same/or no damage.

This could be true.

When pellet #5 hits the chest, but the enemy has an assault vest with 2 boxes, which contain 6 books, and a jacket full of, dunno, soda-cans, pellet #5 doesn't do a lot dmg to the health/blood.

=> all pellets don't to any/do little damage.

I just don't know, why firing using the sawn off feels much more like gambling and probably rising your life....

Edited by irishroy