Yes ok, but this is in RL... In DayZ nobody would use such a truck for killing zombies... They drove over the zombies and shoot on the players from a far distance. And if there is a group of 4-6 player who defend the truck, you cant easily take it out.

I know that many survivors would like to see armed vehicles, helis and maybe planes, but I think thats not the style of the game. It shouldnt be "Man vs. Machine", DayZ should be "Man vs. Man" because only then everybody have the same chance.

But I think if the Team implement vehicles, they balance them the right way.

I would love to see only a "few" dirtbikes, atvs, cars (like we have now as "destroyed models"), maybe UAZs and rubber rafts (with engine and/or panels). Maybe 10 working vehicles per server (40slots), but you have to search many many parts to use them. And of course they should add a technique to refuel the vehicles - like in the mod but more difficult.

I dont know yet, lets see whats coming and how it works - then we will go on talking:-)

On the roadmap something was said about vehicle weapons - idk if that means guns or sharpened logs on the front.

Most likely though, it means guns.

How about such crafting recipe instead? :)

NewImage57-300x197.png

Or even :)

390574_576423415731157_1417918339_n.jpg

This has received way too much hate, lets think about it, there would be heavy weapons like dshks and mortars etc at cherno military facilities, so its not unrealistic, but they could make them like ACE2 support weapons, very heavy, have to be broken down, so no good to lone players, and replace backpacks

A realistically implemented mortar would self-balance in the sense that the gunner would need to know how to drop the rounds accurately, adjust the sights, and have a teammate to walk the shots in for them. If you used the open sights you'd be in rifle firing range anyway...

I see mortars as more something implemented if fortresses became a thing and clipping issues were solved. But, they seem something entirely applicable to already powerful, well armed and organized groups of players and not really applicable to lone survivors - the bulk of the playerbase I'd think.

You linked this very thread, knucklehead.

actually it got merged with Dale Gribble's who posted just above him
  • Like 1

actually it got merged with Dale Gribble's who posted just above him

Thanks for setting him straight. I nearly shat myself when I read his comment, thinking to myself, am I really that dumb... haha.

• Like 1

Thanks for setting him straight. I nearly shat myself when I read his comment, thinking to myself, am I really that dumb... haha.

Hah, I would never have known a merge had taken place.

Hah, I would never have known a merge had taken place.

Yeah these forum admins are pretty slick. A little too good if you ask me. Kinda spooky.

A small 60 or even 81 mms mortar would be fine in dayz so long as some things are done.

No stupid artillery computer like in arma

Copy ace mods artillery aka real life artillery

Weight and stamina system

Problem solved with ace mortars there will be only a handful of people who know how to use them.

In ace mod the most hardcore of the hardcore played and even then most servers had maybe 1 person who knew how to the the mortars.

Ace mod mortars would be great in dayz mostly for defensive reasons with stamina and weight you won't be lugging it around unless you have a truck.

• Like 1

Welll...... Yes its possible one was carried some were in a military and was dropped by soldiers in an attempt to help cherneaus or flee from it and when doing either one they were beaten my zombies and there a mother was left on a camp when they were attempting to escape of gear up to help there country or flee, really any thing can happen to see a morter to be left behind. It would be extremly rare as well as artilliry.

No because it would be come a target for server hoppers and hackers to kill random people and would annoy the hell out of people. And another thing people complain that its to cod or too much military like. I can agree with that but still if an apocolypse really does happen you'll have to use any thing you find to survive. I think molotovs and attachable grenade launchers are better to start of but until dayz becomes more advanced like on how zombies glitch or realistic bleeding then we should think about this.

No because it would be come a target for server hoppers and hackers to kill random people and would annoy the hell out of people. And another thing people complain that its to cod or too much military like.

Anything useful is a target for server hoppers and hackers. This argument is invalid.

CoD does not have useable mortars.

Too military like? Welcome to a game based on location littered with military involvement.

Ace mod mortars would be great in dayz mostly for defensive reasons with stamina and weight you won't be lugging it around unless you have a truck.

So plant a tent on low pop server, fill it with mortar rounds and car nearby. When called to action drive the armaments to the location and ghost to where the action is and trolololu.

I am not sure that mortars is necessary for Dayz, where engagement never have more then few people on each sides. IMHO grenades are enough firepower.

I wouldn't mind finding some Mortar rounds to use as in crafting recipes for improvised explosives, but I wouldn't mind having Mortars as static objects which can be found in world. You wouldn't be able to use them but it would add some background flavor to some of the military buildings.

As for Mortars themselves being used I'd prefer using an improvised mortar, something like this, a single barrelled shotgun, firing blanks to launch improvised grenades. Currently examples of these are seen in Syria where rebels are using them as short ranged, improvised mortars.

s_s25_RTR3DJAR.jpg

s_s26_RTR3DJ9Q.jpg

• Like 2

Anything useful is a target for server hoppers and hackers. This argument is invalid.

CoD does not have useable mortars.

Too military like? Welcome to a game based on location littered with military involvement.

Yeah... plus using mortars offensively is extremely difficult and ends up being more impractical than it's worth. The only thing mortars would really be good for is defensive scenarios and anyone server hopping would typically be on the move all the time. LIkewise, hackers would be able to kill people much more quickly and efficiently.

hackers would be able to kill people much more quickly and efficiently.

I think we can both agree that "hackers could use it" is a bad reason. Hackers isn't something we should accept in this game's long term and hopefully we can see some better anti cheating measures in game.

• Like 3

So plant a tent on low pop server, fill it with mortar rounds and car nearby. When called to action drive the armaments to the location and ghost to where the action is and trolololu.

I am not sure that mortars is necessary for Dayz, where engagement never have more then few people on each sides. IMHO grenades are enough firepower.

Hmm what makes you think you would be able to transfer mortars to another server?

If anything they would be tied to the server as static objects.

Even if what you said were possible the chances of encountering such trolling would be rare due to how hard ace mortars are to operate.

I really can't stress how hard they are to use.

http://youtu.be/5z8GE6UkhRA

That doesn't even cover the proper way to find targeting data.

It requires thinking and some simple math before you can even begin to fire.

Mortar school gives you enough math credits for to knock out an associates degree.

Amazing.

Not that the mos or the credit hours is worth the hearing loss.

I wouldn't mind finding some Mortar rounds to use as in crafting recipes for improvised explosives, but I wouldn't mind having Mortars as static objects which can be found in world. You wouldn't be able to use them but it would add some background flavor to some of the military buildings.

As for Mortars themselves being used I'd prefer using an improvised mortar, something like this, a single barrelled shotgun, firing blanks to launch improvised grenades. Currently examples of these are seen in Syria where rebels are using them as short ranged, improvised mortars.

-picture snip-

I would honestly rather see rifle grenades than mortars, for the most part you need line of sight and the range is limited compared to a mortar.

• Like 1

It requires thinking and some simple math before you can even begin to fire.

Every once in a while you got some older player, who thinks that the way to introduce overpowered weapons with huge potential for abuse is making it too hard to use, assuming that only he and few other people will be able to handle it.

However, even in arma you never see such complexity outside of mods, and Dayz isn't a military tactical shooter. Whatever complexity will be added, will be supplemented the next day with an app on steam overlay that does every calculation for you and cheat sheets with thumbnail rules and common target info.

Also once you add one heavy weapon, there will be request for many others, which are often of the common shoot and forget verity.

who thinks that the way to introduce overpowered weapons with huge potential for abuse is making it too hard to use, assuming that only he and few other people will be able to handle it.

Thing is, a mortar doesn't have a fancy artillery interface like it does in Arma. ACE for the most part makes extreme improvements. What I get from you saying that is "I don't know how to use a mortar, so I'll be at a disadvantage if I ever managed to get everything together to use one."

Truthfully, I am absolutely clueless on the formulas for mortars. I'd likely be at the same point as you, however I'd take the time to look it up and eventually I'd understand how the aiming functions. Alternatively, give me an RPG7 with a PGO7 scope and I can read that without an issue and can hit targets a few hundred meters out. All it takes is a few minutes of research and a willingness to learn.

• Like 1