Sign in to follow this  
SuPaFuNk

Wildlife vs Zombies

So I posted this in another thread slightly off topic. I am really interested in what others think of this idea/scenario. Let your imagination run free on this one.

I am also reminded of this awesome conversation I had with this good friend of mine about wildlife vs zombies. We started talking about hordes of zombies in the cities and how close the devs are to implementing wildlife mainly the predator/prey groups. I had 1 really awesome scenario play out in my mind that lead to a really interesting question. If a mass human extinction were to occur I believe the large predator groups would thrive i.e Bears, Large cats, Wolves.

So say a mature black bear is driven into an urban area (insert your logical reasoning here). In said city there is a mass of zombies in the area that the bear's nose leads him to and a bear vs zombie battle thus ensues. I think this would be something really immersive to witness. How cool would it be to "friend" a black bear because you helped him fight off the horde. My final thought on this was ...How many zombies would it take to kill a fully grown black bear?

fcvvDDt.jpg

• Like 2

Friend a Blackbear? 

Im scared to do that.  :|

And the answer to how many zeds is 1. Only 1 would be needed to infect it.. thus killing it essentially. As far as actually killing it, that would be impossible.. a blackbear could kill more zeds than Chuck Norris with a chainsaw. 

Edited by lrish

Not saying that you could actually "friend" the bear. I'm pretty sure I did hear about a companion group of animals though (horses, dogs). I think it would be badass to have a bear for a companion. He would be like a watch dog but WAY fucking bigger. :D

Not saying that you could actually "friend" the bear. I'm pretty sure I did hear about a companion group of animals though (horses, dogs). I think it would be badass to have a bear for a companion. He would be like a watch dog but WAY fucking bigger. :D

GrizzlyAdams.jpg

• Like 1

Except if you do not feed him he mauls you.

• Like 1

GrizzlyAdams.jpg

Look at those claws. Your throat meat would be like 70 degree butter to those things.

I hope my DayZ toon looks just like that one day.

Edited by SuPaFuNk
  • Like 1

Except if you do not feed him he mauls you.

I actually like this idea alot. You would have to gather extra food or maybe he could hunt on his own.

And the answer to how many zeds is 1. Only 1 would be needed to infect it.. thus killing it essentially. As far as actually killing it, that would be impossible.. a blackbear could kill more zeds than Chuck Norris with a chainsaw. 

But bears have ridiculously thick fur, skin and subcutaneous layers. Not sure how they could infect him if they can't break his skin.

• Like 1

Friend a Blackbear? 

My body is not ready for infected bears

Chapter-28-The-Garden.jpg610210905.jpg

Edited by naraga

Ummm black bears are pretty passive, I think it would be better to say Grizzly bears? :3 Although of course grown black bears wouldn't be that passive....

Ummm black bears are pretty passive, I think it would be better to say Grizzly bears? :3 Although of course grown black bears wouldn't be that passive....

And I'm also kind of thinking of a bear that is being pressured. Kind of like we are being pressured and maybe doing things we wouldn't in normal circumstances.

Edit: Maybe black bear wasn't the right choice for this ( I just randomly picked a bear i thought might be common in this part of the world). After a little research it seems that a much larger and more aggressive bear is more common.....the brown bear.

Edited by SuPaFuNk

What if you found a Black Bear Cub who was abandoned by it's now rotting mother (you totally didn't shoot it) then take it in and raise it as your own. Eventually being able to put a saddle on it and ride it!

Hooah.

• Like 1

What if you found a Black Bear Cub who was abandoned by it's now rotting mother (you totally didn't shoot it) then take it in and raise it as your own. Eventually being able to put a saddle on it and ride it!

Hooah.

Now that's using your imagination.

I picture it like this.

oedGHOR.jpg

Or maybe this.....

zSeYHpj.jpg

^^^ I could totally craft that saddle.

Bears are not the only option here. Let it floooooow.

Edited by SuPaFuNk

we need some wolves and coyotes and deer and elk and moose maybe (if moose are even in Europe.. I'm not sure). Then we can shoot them and eat their guts. Or zombies could zombify them and they could chase us around.

I like your thinkin' sir!!
That would be a fantastic thing to witness. Maybe even just leading a bear into a horde of zombies just to distract them as you loot the area would be a fun tactic.

i'm excited to see the wildlife come into play in this game.

I can see it now,

Animals unite! No zombies are takin this town!

rex-zombie-killer-cover-no-logo.jpg

• Like 1

Hooah.

We NEED Buffalo in this game !

/thread

• Like 1

Friend a Blackbear? 

Bears are not humans, infection does not apply.

I don't think this game will ever get that far. I don't see wolves hunting rabbits, or a bear vs zombie confrontation. People have good ideas, unfortunately all these extras would be a massive strain on gameplay, not to mention server crashings

Tbh why would the predators thrive without humans, when the world is full of zombies and dead bodies, infecting the environment?

They would only thrive if the prey animals thrive, and it would take many many years for this to happen.

I doubt we will ever be able to "make friends" with predators, it just doesnt seem viable that they all of a sudden think humans are they're best friends, when they would have killed you a year ago tbh.

This is abit "out there" for me :)

We NEED Buffalo in this game ! 

/thread

Yes we do.

Btw. in WWII there was a tame bear in some polish infantry unit that was fighting for the allys. As far as I know it even smoked :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wojtek_%28soldier_bear%29

And yea, interactions between wildlife and zombies could be interesting.

Infected animals may also be a good way to mix up the zombie variety, I don't see why there couldn't be infected dogs for example.

I think their lower height, high speed and fangs would make them quite fearsome.

• Like 1

I'd like to see stray dog packs in and near towns.  Highly mobile, too fast to outrun and very, very bitey, they can be aggro'd like zeds (LOS, movement etc.), and will occasionally visit locations known for carrion, e.g. sniper overwatch haunts.