theswedishcathead

AKM Sneak peak close to being implemented

They do exist but what would be the chances of finding these parts in chenarus.

I always assumed the lrs and bipod working on the mosin was a placeholder since no modular hunting or precision rifles such as the remington 700 were in the game yet.

Even the lrs itself screams place holder it has a simple duplex reticles and not a range finding reticle such as a mildot

The chances of finding these parts in Chernarus are just as good as anywhere else, not to mention that Chernarus is fictional (with a fictional history as well, hence the presence of NATO weaponry and gear). One can order a UTG Mosin Rail and barrel-clamp bipod off of Amazon, so, it's not like they're hyper-rare in the real world (not that the real world should be used as an unquestionable ruler to measure plausibility anyway, as Chernarus is a fictional location).

Even if they are placeholders, it doesn't necessarily mean that the weapon attachments are implausible.

Point-being, the attachments that DO work in DayZ are (for the most part) plausible. The issue I have is that, in some cases (like the LRS and M4) there are attachments which SHOULD be able to be fitted to a certain weapon, but it's not possible for some reason. Could be balance, could be that they just forgot to do it. Who knows?

Edited by Katana67

Yea hopefully they look into it in the future. Would be nice to be able to make an make shift mk12 with a m4

Yea hopefully they look into it in the future. Would be nice to be able to make an make shift mk12 with a m4

That's possible? I thought you'd need to exchange the barrel at the least

Rather than making a reach-around PSO optic for it, I'd rather they just give it a RIS attachment for the current (and future) crop of optics to use.

Could serve to differentiate the AKM from the M4A1 by disallowing it from mounting optics as standard. But then, having the RIS system encompass both optics mounts and flashlight/bipod (and potential foregrip) mounts once installed.

See this...

http://www.fab-defense.com/en/category-rail-systems-and-mounting-solutions/id-180/ak-47-aluminum-rail-system.html

I'm still on the fence about whether or not I want optics to be weapon-specific. It's kind of silly not being able to mount a LRS on an M4, or being stuck with the SKS and PU scope being readily available (and the arguably worse set-up of the M4 w/ ACOG being relatively rare).

Maybe we'll see a hand guard with a rail system on it, much like the M4 has. That being said, real men use ironsights anyway, and rails are ugly.

That's why I said makeshift. Changing out the barrel for an appropriate 18 in barrel with the right 1:8 twist allows for stabilizing heavier bullets but thst shouldn't be a factor in this since there is only one type of bullet at the moment.

Or they could just have an M16A4 available. /shrug

All of the attachments are there to make it an SPR (i.e. LRS, Bipod, 10-20 round magazines).

But, assuming that they wouldn't do that, all it would really take would be an 18 inch barrel and rail assembly, and you'd pretty much be there.

Edited by Katana67

not at all, the accuracy doesnt change THAT much with a longer barrel, you just get higher muzzle velocity and longer range, consequently.

But for the range that the 556 is effective (500~600 meters), the m4 barrel would do just fine.

no doubts that a m16 would do its job much better as a SPR, tho.

Edited by lipemr

And when they kill you with that silly plastic weapon its not going to be a matter of "its made in Russia therefore i win" bullshit mentality.

I hope its very inaccurate and needs ALLOT of good attachments to be even worth it period.

Hahaha! You are a funny one. "it's made in USA therefore i win" is the only bullshit mentality being overrused. Never heard anybody else brag so much about anything.

There was no conspiracy behind the M16, they adopted it because they thought it would be effective. The number one problem in Vietnam was reliability.

Between the M14 and M16, since no weapons in ARMA ever malfunctioned, reliability was a moot point for players. Accuracy was a wash. Recoil was the exact same. So that left the damage.

The M14 would knock people out in one solid hit, kill them in two. The M16 would take three or four hits, or more, and would never knock people out.

So based on the DayZ mod the 5.56 will ALMOST ALWAYS require an extra 2-3 hits to eliminate an enemy, which is absurd.

If the mod (or ARMA) had introduced, say, an M1 Garand, it would have also been IMO a superior combat rifle to M16s or AK-74s, again because it would be a one-shot kill in ARMA and a one-shot knockout in DayZ. The Garand is not a superior combat rifle so this would be a misrepresentation due to exaggerated differences in damage.

You're so wrong it's not funny. The M1 Garand has an effective range of 5 miles, and the clip, if your Jackie Chan kung fu is strong enough, can be drop kicked if you time it correctly after the last round is fired.

Also, little known fact: M1's were chambered in .50 BMG.

Edited by Demoth

Answer is simple regarding damage. 

7.62x39 - More damage up front, more common, more recoil, more noise.

5.45x39 - Slightly less up front damage, but more bleeding, (Due to internal wounds), greater chance of infection, higher pain to targets, more accurate, less recoil, less noise. Internal bleeding?

So, if your going inti a building, you want an AKM to take down your target faster. But the AK-74 is more of what you want if you only have time to get one shot into the target, as after they're in cover, they will be forced to bandage, take painkillers, ect, and if they don't, then they'll probably die after half an hour. If something like internal bleeding is added, then that should be a major factor with this gun.

In Afghanistan, the Mujahadeen nicknamed the 5.45 as "The poison bullet" becuase few who were hit by it survived more than a few days. That should certainly be something to worry about in SA.