dgeesio

Mouse acceleration = NO!

You either didn't read the article, didn't understand it, or are trying to defend your earlier comment in vain. Any game on the market except turn-based games like Final Fantasy are twitch. Twitch encompasses many genres, predominantly that of FPS and RTS. Like I've already mentioned, there are varying degrees of twitch. Obviously games like Quake require faster reaction time than games like DayZ (usually), but that doesn't mean the latter isn't twitch.

TL;DR:

Twitch gameplay == any game that requires sudden reaction/movement. There are varying degrees of twitch.

Or maybe you look at things in black and white instead of with shades of grey. So every first person game the requires some degree of reaction, from the slightest to the most extreme, is exactly the same and should be classified as such? Yeah okay, you win, I'll look at things in 0,1 values and completely disregard variation. Portal = Call of Duty = DayZ. Discussion over.

Edited by Hells High

so it was worth the thread being done . thanks for listening. B)

Don't get ahead of yourself (despite your RO2 story).

-> It's probably not because of the thread. ;)

Still no fix to the invisible mouse cursor caused by mouse acceleration on high windows dpi settings.

I bought this game last year, was hoping that if I give it some time they would fix it!! I use a 4k monitor, so can't lower the dpi setting with-out lowering the resolution or else I can't read text, it's not realistic for me to do this everytime I want to play one game.

Please fix before release, else I won't be playing and will look for a refund.

Thanks

thanks for the fix. Some people are still moaning because the in-game sensitivety scale is a bit high. I have changed my mouse setting in the config to 1.1 but the in-game option probaly starts at about 5 or 10 (too fast)

Just needs scaling down accordingly so noobs can choose a lower option

However the gun movement, aiming, and acceleration removal feels amazing, a great balance, well done development team. Puts the game ahead of the mods now in my opinion., Aiming and control is such a game-breaker for me.

afc.jpg

they fixed the acceleration, so this thread succeeded. Go into My Documents/ Day Z/ yourname.dayzprofile   and change Sensitivey X and Y to a number about 1.5 or similar

they fixed the acceleration, so this thread succeeded. Go into My Documents/ Day Z/ yourname.dayzprofile   and change Sensitivey X and Y to a number about 1.5 or similar

alright, thanks

alright, thanks

if you put them both to the exact same number it will feel better,, if you check what number theyr on now, then try perhaps half of that number, or how much u feel less. Then back into game to test it. I cant say the exact number as I,m on my work PC< but i use 1100 d.p.i. mouse and i think Day Z sensitivety in my config is 1.1 or 1.4 , something like that

New mouse controls were really weird for me at first. I was doing 360's and more with a small flick of the mouse. So I turned down the sensitivity by about half of what it was, and now it feels great! 

Remove mouse acceleration, devs, immediately. There are no excuses.

You are doing the opposite of what players want.

They are working on it. Do some reading. Its not as simple as 'remove it' because of how it is tied into the games architecture. 

You seem to not understand what is going on. I recommend watching Deans road map interview and reading the dev blog.

Fuck man, you misuse the term "twitch" in every post you make on the subject. This is a twitch shooter. ARMA is a twitch shooter. Unreal Tournament is a twitch shooter. Just because they're not played at the same speed doesn't mean the former isn't twitch. You're saying you don't need fast/"twitch" reaction time in DayZ? If that's the case, you must die a lot.

Read this, and learn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_gameplay

Actually, you're kind of wrong.

There are two different kinds of reflexes that come into play when playing an FPS

1. Target acquisition -> Putting the crosshair on your target.

2. Accuracy -> Hitting the intended target.

Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament required you to "twitch" your crosshair around rapidly in order to acquire fast moving targets, and then accurately shoot them the moment your crosshair landed on them. THAT is a "Twitch shooter".

Tactical shooters on a whole do not require the "target acquisition" aspect to nearly the degree that true twitch shooters do..

For example, in Counter-Strike, you basically line your crosshair up at approximately head level, and then either come around a corner firing at your target, or sit and wait until the target crosses in front of your crosshair, then reflexively fire. 

Twitch shooters require frequent and often rapid movement of the mouse. Tactical shooters only require that you can press "fire" at the appropriate time, and control your recoil/sway/etc.

• Like 1

i cant describe how gutted i was when i logged on with the latest build. many of us have been asking for you to give a option to turn off mouse acceleration and what do the Devs do ? make it even worse ! :o

You may be able to do that in the CFG file? Aside from that  I got used to it in few hours.

1:1 is awesome.

Your just so used to what you have been playing for months.

Take some time with it and you will realize that it is much better after all.

You may be able to do that in the CFG file? Aside from that  I got used to it in few hours.

no when i posted that comment the build they had upped was broken.

basically it was too sensitive not like it is now.

• Like 1

Actually, you're kind of wrong.

There are two different kinds of reflexes that come into play when playing an FPS

1. Target acquisition -> Putting the crosshair on your target.

2. Accuracy -> Hitting the intended target.

Quake III Arena and Unreal Tournament required you to "twitch" your crosshair around rapidly in order to acquire fast moving targets, and then accurately shoot them the moment your crosshair landed on them. THAT is a "Twitch shooter".

Tactical shooters on a whole do not require the "target acquisition" aspect to nearly the degree that true twitch shooters do..

For example, in Counter-Strike, you basically line your crosshair up at approximately head level, and then either come around a corner firing at your target, or sit and wait until the target crosses in front of your crosshair, then reflexively fire. 

Twitch shooters require frequent and often rapid movement of the mouse. Tactical shooters only require that you can press "fire" at the appropriate time, and control your recoil/sway/etc.

Wow, this again?

Any game that isn't turn-based is twitch. There are varying degrees of twitch, which I've said umpteen times in this thread.

Quake and Unreal Tournament are extremely twitch-based. Counter-Strike is very much twitch-based, as well. StarCraft and League of Legends are twitch-based games. Even TETRIS is a twitch-based game. Any game that requires any amount of quick reaction is classified as twitch, even if it's once every ten minutes when you finally flank your opponent in a tactical shooter. There are times when people slowly move their reticle over a camping opponent, but just as many encounters take place in close-quarters combat where every movement of the mouse and button pressed on the keyboard is crucial.

Final Fantasy VII is not twitch. Hearthstone is not twitch. DayZ is still twitch-based, whether or not it's to the same level as other games.

Even rock bottom on the slider was way too high, but I could make it lower in the dayzprofile config. The sensitivity options are near the bottom.

Wow, this again?

Any game that isn't turn-based is twitch. There are varying degrees of twitch, which I've said umpteen times in this thread.

Quake and Unreal Tournament are extremely twitch-based. Counter-Strike is very much twitch-based, as well. StarCraft and League of Legends are twitch-based games. Even TETRIS is a twitch-based game. Any game that requires any amount of quick reaction is classified as twitch, even if it's once every ten minutes when you finally flank your opponent in a tactical shooter. There are times when people slowly move their reticle over a camping opponent, but just as many encounters take place in close-quarters combat where every movement of the mouse and button pressed on the keyboard is crucial.

Final Fantasy VII is not twitch. Hearthstone is not twitch. DayZ is still twitch-based, whether or not it's to the same level as other games.

Nope. You're wrong.. There's "some" degree of twitch in CS and DayZ, but read the article you posted. 

Twitch is used to describe the movement of the mouse.

Traditionally, however, the term "twitch game" has been applied to simple arcadeconsole, and computergames that lack an element of strategy and are based solely upon a player's reaction time.

---

The overall tactics and strategies remained the same. Games such as Quake encouraged fast-paced destruction. Automatic weapons and rocket launchers ensured quick gameplay. It was still a "twitch game," but over time, gameplay success was determined by more than merely having the fastest reactions. As games evolved, additional layers of strategy were demanded. Over time, strategy won over twitch, especially in team- and objective-based games. It was soon required that one used skill in order to obtain victory.

A primary example of this would be the game Counter-Strike – originally a modification of the popular game Half-Life that quickly became one of the most popular competitive first-person shooters to date. The base game included objective-based game types that limited the player to a single life per round. Players obtained in-game cash to purchase better weapons and armor. Twitch became a scenario-based event as players wanted to retain the weapons they had worked hard to purchase, knowing a death resulted in losing all the equipment they had obtained 

Many players realized that teamwork and strategy would win over the "run and gun" tactic. Twitching became something that happened in moments of need versus all the time; for example, a player might have walked around a corner and found an enemy there, in which one would have to react immediately to kill the opponent.

Edited by Etherimp

Wow, this again?

Nope. You're wrong.. There's "some" degree of twitch in CS and DayZ, but read the article you posted. 

Twitch is used to describe the movement of the mouse.

So you agree with me... great!

Twitch gameplay is a type of video gameplay scenario that tests a player's reaction time. Action games such as first-person shooters often contain elements of twitch gameplay. For example, Quake III Arena requires quick reaction times for the players to shoot enemies. Other video game genres may also involve twitch gameplay. For example, the puzzle video game Tetris gradually speeds up as the player makes progress.

Twitch gameplay keeps players actively engaged with quick feedback to their actions, as opposed to turn-based gaming that involves waiting for the outcome of a chosen course of action. Twitch can be used to expand tactical options and play by testing the skill of the player in various areas (usually reflexive responses) and generally add difficulty (relating to the intensity of "twitching" required).

Fast chess, chess played with short time limits between moves, is an example of adding a twitch gameplay element to a turn-based game. Conversely, checkpoints and extra lives are common game mechanics in twitch gaming that attempt to reduce the penalty for errors in play, adding an element of turn-based gameplay. Traditionally, however, the term "twitch game" has been applied to simple arcade, console, and computer games that lack an element of strategy and are based solely upon a player's reaction time.

- - -

Games have become more complex as technology has improved. Today, nearly every genre of video game contains some level of "twitch," though turn-based strategy games have remained roughly untouched by the phenomenon. First-person shooters remain the predominant genre to emphasize twitch gameplay.

Some games include elements that take players back in nostalgic gameplay in the form of quick time events or QTEs. These events decide the fate of the player by displaying a keystroke or keystrokes that the player must input quickly.[1] While the concept is not new, the term is often attributed to Yu Suzuki, director of the game Shenmue. Shenmue was an adventure game at its core and it introduced QTEs as a way to keep players interested during extended cut scenes. Other games have since adopted this method (e.g.Resident Evil 4).

I've been saying that throughout the entirety of this thread. DayZ contains elements of twitch, as does almost every other game ever made. To quote myself:

Fuck man, you misuse the term "twitch" in every post you make on the subject. This is a twitch shooter. ARMA is a twitch shooter. Unreal Tournament is a twitch shooter. Just because they're not played at the same speed doesn't mean the former isn't twitch. You're saying you don't need fast/"twitch" reaction time in DayZ? If that's the case, you must die a lot.

Read this, and learn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_gameplay

All twitch refers to is a situation that forces you to quickly react. That's it. QTEs, being caught in an unfavorable position in a FPS (tactical or not), or any other game that incorporates elements of you using your mouse/keyboard/controller as fast as you bloody can in order to survive is twitch. The only games that aren't/dont are turn-based games in which you can perform your move, walk away from your computer, grab a coffee, come back, and then react to your opponent's move.

Am I claiming DayZ is a twitch shooter? No. It just has elements of twitch. The people in this thread claiming that you don't have to quickly react in order to survive in a close quarters situation are either really stubborn, or really stupid. Do I run into a building with my AWP and Deagle, hear an enemy behind me, jump and do a 180º turn whole no-scoping him in the face? No. But if I'm flanked by someone who got the drop on me I'm reacting just as quickly in order to kill him and survive, perhaps even more so.

Anyway, this topic has been beaten to death and I was happy that it died already. If you can't decipher from this post (let alone my previous posts) what exactly I'm trying to communicate here, then I don't know what else to say. =)

/tapping out

Not played much recently but I've been in a few firefights and I have to say both myself and my opponents were shooting like total absolute noobs all since the update

I thought I was just having a couple of really bad moments but if it's due to this I can relax a bit and put it down to game mechanics and not my own ability to shoot

Maybe I have to just get used to the new system more

I suspected something was wrong

They are working on it. Do some reading. Its not as simple as 'remove it' because of how it is tied into the games architecture. 

You seem to not understand what is going on. I recommend watching Deans road map interview and reading the dev blog.

its already fixed and working guys

You just need to lower your overall sensitivetys in your config files as the scale is a bit high

But confirmed, aim acceleration has been removed for about a week. mouse movement is smooth and intuitive, every gun reacts slightly different. Its smoother and on a par- actually better- than Arma 3 aiming now.

• Like 1

So you agree with me... great!

I've been saying that throughout the entirety of this thread. DayZ contains elements of twitch, as does almost every other game ever made. To quote myself:

All twitch refers to is a situation that forces you to quickly react. That's it. QTEs, being caught in an unfavorable position in a FPS (tactical or not), or any other game that incorporates elements of you using your mouse/keyboard/controller as fast as you bloody can in order to survive is twitch. The only games that aren't/dont are turn-based games in which you can perform your move, walk away from your computer, grab a coffee, come back, and then react to your opponent's move.

Am I claiming DayZ is a twitch shooter? No. It just has elements of twitch. The people in this thread claiming that you don't have to quickly react in order to survive in a close quarters situation are either really stubborn, or really stupid. Do I run into a building with my AWP and Deagle, hear an enemy behind me, jump and do a 180º turn whole no-scoping him in the face? No. But if I'm flanked by someone who got the drop on me I'm reacting just as quickly in order to kill him and survive, perhaps even more so.

Anyway, this topic has been beaten to death and I was happy that it died already. If you can't decipher from this post (let alone my previous posts) what exactly I'm trying to communicate here, then I don't know what else to say. =)

/tapping out

The distinction I am making is between "TWITCH SHOOTERS"  and "TACTICAL FPS"...

DayZ is a tactical FPS... There's a difference between "twitch gameplay elements" and "twitch shooters".. Usually when people refer to "twitch shooters" they are referring to arena FPS's like Quake, UT, etc.

I agree that dayz has twitch elements, but I feel like 1:1 encourages players to play less tacticly and more "twitch" style. Mouse accel used to actively discourage twitch style play, biting you in the ass if you tried it. You could still do very fast mouse motions, but cross the line of "controlled motion" to "twitch", and get punished.

That's where I make the distinction. Controlled motion - you have to think about what you are doing every time you do it, being carefull not to move too fast. Twitch - no thought just snap mouse off muscle memory and fire hoping it got there.

In a way it used to be anti-twitch. Activley dicouroging that common style of fps play, making us favour a tactical approach that gives us the drop on the enemy. That's how it should be, not teaching us...."hey....don't worry if you get snuck up on......you can just spin round and pwn him in 0.1 secs."  :(

• Like 1

I agree, I simply can't play with this mouse acceleration, every turn makes me want to bash my face into my keyboard, it is ridiculous. I also agree on you with this, if they're not going to fix this in the very near future, I would very much like a refund so I can spend it on a game I can actually play. A game with mouse acceleration is unplayable for any PC gamer.  

I agree, I simply can't play with this mouse acceleration, every turn makes me want to bash my face into my keyboard, it is ridiculous. I also agree on you with this, if they're not going to fix this in the very near future, I would very much like a refund so I can spend it on a game I can actually play. A game with mouse acceleration is unplayable for any PC gamer.  

Mouse acceleration has been removed.  :huh:

I know nothing about programming, but I feel like the system they have in place is a lot more complex than if they had raw input. I don't really get it either.. then again I don't get bloom, rotation blur, god rays, the eating sounds, walking up hills et cetera....

the thing is, the engine was made for simulation originally, and in real life, you can't spin around yourself 50 times in a half second and then headshot someone

now that dayZ has way more people drawn to it from games like CoD or Planetside 2, which are in no way even remotely related to real life, which the engine was made to simulate, people get upset that it is hard to turn around and shoot someone in an instant when laying flat on the floor

i was against the completely unrestricted movement the first time i heard they planned to do it