Sign in to follow this  
BlueBlighty

Are OHKO from fists realistic?

So, getting knocked out in one punch from a freshspawn really isn't the most realistic take. I mean, I'm no bandit, but in the latest experimental (0.42), I realised you (rightfully) need a stripper magazine for an SKS. I  discovered this after firing at a zombie. So, after reloading, I ran along the road a bit more and found a dead player, obviously killed by a zombie. I know this because a zombie was just hanging out by the body. So, I try to do a good deed and take out the zombie. and I see a freshspawn come from further down the road.

Now this is the part that's important. I say, "hey, I'm not going to shoot, you saw me kill this zombie, etc, etc" then he pulls his fists out, I naturally strafe to the left, but he still hits me. And then, you are unconscious, my gears taken, and I'm shot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching about losing my gear, but rather the means in which I lost it. It just feels that if this isn't tweaked, then it can fester into a bigger problem when players have a little more to live for.

I think a decent tweak would be to tie the chance of being KO'ed to the shock level. I don't know the exact numbers here, but when it reaches dangerous levels, your chances of being KO'ed by any weapon (not just fists) increases. Anyway, what do you guys think? 

It makes up for the lack of some kind of knock out move/disarm move, not only when attacked from behind. Its OK, not perfect though.

Wear a motorcycle helmet or a Hard helmet. Both prevent you from getting knocked out by bare fists...

And on the other hand...

Vitali-Klitschko-Shannon-Briggs-box-boxi

And

I think a decent tweak would be to tie the chance of being KO'ed to the shock level. I don't know the exact numbers here, but when it reaches dangerous levels, your chances of being KO'ed by any weapon (not just fists) increases. Anyway, what do you guys think? 

Yers.

Maybe a randomized shock value for head hits with bare fists, where OHKO are possible but not the standard?

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 1

I presume you were not at full health. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have never experienced or suffered myself the 'one punch knock out', unless it's something that has been added to the new experimental patch.

Edit: Oh, and what Jack said, helmet. I tend to only wear helmets in the game anyway.

Edited by ricp

It is fine the way it is, giving unarmed people a chance to defend themselves/go on the offensive. As for it being realistic I have seen a many one hit knockouts and not just in sports, if you hit the right spot (somewhere around the jaw line) there is a high chance you can knockout someone with one punch.

Edited by weedmasta

Not only the jaw line. Also behind the ear, the temple, even the cheekbone/eye if you hit it right....i think the only impossible way to land a knockout punch is hitting straight against the forehead...that will only hurt your fists.

Oh, idea...ArmPainAche (yep, that's how a broken arm is called if you didn't know^^) could result in such a bare-hand-hit....well not the armPainAche but maybe FingerPainAche?^^

Imagine a situation like this:"He is coming for us, pull the trigger!" "I CANT! I have FingerPainAche!"

With that being said, it's strange and only a bug I assume) that you can't knockout someone wearing a hard helmet, but OHKO someone that wears a ballistic helmet...

Edited by LaughingJack

As far as realism goes I think it needs tweaked.

If you get into a fight with someone and you have your fists up as well it's only natural to try and block or dodge punches that are coming toward you. However, currently the game doesn't account for that. I think that if you're going toe to toe with someone, you ought to be able to take a couple of hits before going down, or add a sort of blocking mechanic for hand to hand.

As far as say...a fast sucker punch...I could see that being a one hit KO. However going toe to toe should allow you to take a couple hits in order to account for the blocking or dodging one would normally do.

No they need to leave punching as it is, bambies should have the capability to be dangerous and fists can easily knock someone out in real life anyway. Its would be annoying as a bambi to be just played with by geared players and not be able to do anything about it. Equally if a bambi pulls his fists out then shoot him or run away.

• Like 1

So, getting knocked out in one punch from a freshspawn really isn't the most realistic take. I mean, I'm no bandit, but in the latest experimental (0.42), I realised you (rightfully) need a stripper magazine for an SKS. I  discovered this after firing at a zombie. So, after reloading, I ran along the road a bit more and found a dead player, obviously killed by a zombie. I know this because a zombie was just hanging out by the body. So, I try to do a good deed and take out the zombie. and I see a freshspawn come from further down the road.

Now this is the part that's important. I say, "hey, I'm not going to shoot, you saw me kill this zombie, etc, etc" then he pulls his fists out, I naturally strafe to the left, but he still hits me. And then, you are unconscious, my gears taken, and I'm shot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bitching about losing my gear, but rather the means in which I lost it. It just feels that if this isn't tweaked, then it can fester into a bigger problem when players have a little more to live for.

every single living human being on planet earth can be knocked out with one punch to the head. you dont even have to punch someone in the head very hard to knock them out if you know the right places to hit them.

Edited by hellcat420

Not only the jaw line. Also behind the ear, the temple, even the cheekbone/eye if you hit it right....i think the only impossible way to land a knockout punch is hitting straight against the forehead...that will only hurt your fists.

Oh, idea...ArmPainAche (yep, that's how a broken arm is called if you didn't know^^) could result in such a bare-hand-hit....well not the armPainAche but maybe FingerPainAche?^^

Imagine a situation like this:"He is coming for us, pull the trigger!" "I CANT! I have FingerPainAche!"

With that being said, it's strange and only a bug I assume) that you can't knockout someone wearing a hard helmet, but OHKO someone that wears a ballistic helmet...

you can actually knock someone out by hitting them in the forehead, you just have to hit them hard enough to bounce their brain off the inside of their skull.

• Like 1

True. But that's not very common...

But maybe there will be a "defense" action coming some time? Haven't heard anything about that, but would be interesting having something like that in melee...

No

/discussion

• Like 2

Honestly, the damage from melee is something I chalked up to Alpha in the first place. With the limited items in the game, Since they intend to implement crafted weapons, it would seem they'd intend for the need to craft them, but until then fists are super weapons. Hell they still make you bleed like crazy on stable.

I believe they are going to add some unique qualities to weapons down the road.

For instance, melee should do "shock" damage to an exposed player, but a guy wearing full TTSKO will beans all over his pockets shouldn't have 10 cans of ruined beans in his clothes after being punched 4 times.

If you get hit in the head by a full grown man full on swinging a giant wrench, you should immediately be knocked unconscious if not killed if wearing no headgear, etc.

I am built like a linebacker IRL. 6-4, 240, and still pretty solid. In my 20s I did my share of scrapping- won enough, and lost enough as well. As a Marine, with little to do on deployment, we spent a bit of our downtime beating the shit out of each other, just because.

Trust me when I tell you that a one hit KO is not impossible.

I am built like a linebacker IRL. 6-4, 240, and still pretty solid. In my 20s I did my share of scrapping- won enough, and lost enough as well. As a Marine, with little to do on deployment, we spent a bit of our downtime beating the shit out of each other, just because.

Trust me when I tell you that a one hit KO is not impossible.

i have seen one hit ko plenty of times. in fights ranging from professional fights to bar brawls.

I am built like a linebacker IRL. 6-4, 240.... As a Marine, with little to do on deployment,

Suggestion: Learn the metric system in your spare time. It's not that hard because it's logical. I mean...really...feet? 20000 bc called, they want their measuring units back.

ah...sry. I just hate imperial system, had to work with it once (as a programmer) for a customer from america and that guy argfued with me that the imperial system is so much better, and it freaked me out how anyone can use a system that's based of...nothing in fact. Not based on 2 or 10 or 16, but just...well like someone would say: "meh, if i extend my arm to the side and put the thumb downwards, the distance from my thumb to my big toe is called from now on "the Jack" and is the new measuring unit, for smaller distances we take the length of my thumb as new unit and call it thumbjack..."...ah it got me again...

...so....calm again...I'm pretty average: 185 cm, 90kg and played (like most europeans) soccer in a  club for 15+ years, so, as said, pretty normal physique. But I also KO'd one guy when I was younger (normally I'm a pacifist...but well, if he punches me, i'll punch back), I think it was quite lucky, because some years later I went for some years to Thai-boxing lessons and I never managed a OHKO in a training fight there..

As a rugby player, and someone who has been hit in the head A LOT. I can tell you that it's very unlikely to be knocked out with one or two punches. Try taking a knee to the head at a sprinting pace and you'll more than likely get back up.

• Like 1

As a rugby player, and someone who has been hit in the head A LOT. I can tell you that it's very unlikely to be knocked out with one or two punches. Try taking a knee to the head at a sprinting pace and you'll more than likely get back up.

hahahaha go to youtube and look up one hit knock out. you will find hundreds of vids of people getting knocked out in one punch. no offense but your personal experiences dont mean jack shit and cant be used to judge how common/uncommon something like this is. now if we were talking about ko's in rugby that would be a different story.

Edited by hellcat420

Force continuum OP. You were justified in using deadly force and should have done so.

it freaked me out how anyone can use a system that's based of...nothing in fact. Not based on 2 or 10 or 16, but just...well like someone would say: "meh, if i extend my arm to the side and put the thumb downwards, the distance from my thumb to my big toe is called from now on "the Jack" and is the new measuring unit, for smaller distances we take the length of my thumb as new unit and call it thumbjack..."...ah it got me again...

It's based on common every-day measurements. A foot is obviously based on the length of a human foot. That made more sense to people in centuries past than a meter, which doesn't correspond to anything they could see. Same stories for other measurements. A mile:

"The Romans, when marching their armies through Europe, were the first to use the unit of long distance mille passuum, where each pace or stride was two steps). When marching through uncharted territory, they would often push a carved stick in the ground after each 1000 paces."

In addition metric is also guilty of arbitrary measures:

Metres are made up too. Completely arbitrary. From 1889 until 1983 the metre was defined as the length of this bar:

Measurements_3.gif

The length of some random bar. Seriously?

And before that? They had another bar.

dgG4m0x.jpg?1

In addition they STILL don't have a proper definition for the kilogram. They're still looking for one. You guessed it...

"Since 1889 the magnitude of the kilogram has been defined as the mass of an object called the international prototype kilogram"

c1YaiPt.jpg?1

So no need to be an ass because another person's measurement system doesn't use base 10.

• Like 1

Suggestion: Learn the metric system in your spare time. It's not that hard because it's logical. I mean...really...feet? 20000 bc called, they want their measuring units back.

Seeing as how I have been around nearly that long, I think I have earned the right to use the barbaric system of measurement.

I agree metric makes more sense but am too old to change. But for the sake of being "trendy"...I am approx. 109kg, 193cm.

hahahaha go to youtube and look up one hit knock out. you will find hundreds of vids of people getting knocked out in one punch. no offense but your personal experiences dont mean jack shit and cant be used to judge how common/uncommon something like this is. now if we were talking about ko's in rugby that would be a different story.

Black people hitting unsuspecting white passerby's don't exactly count.

"in centuries past"...thats the sentence^^ like I said, 2000 years ago, that was ok....^^

The metric system that is based on the decimal system: 10mm = 1 cm; 10 cm=1dm; 10dm=1m etc. which makes sense for all kind of measurements. Same goes for the weight.

for sure it's also not a perfect system because it starts somewhere in the middle and not at at the maximum (because unlimited) and not at the minimum (because unknown, especially at the time of creation.) but it's logical. Whiloe the imperial system has no numeric base on which it works...

And I didn't wanted to be "an ass"...

@Meatshield: Sorry ;) Didn't want to step on your feets. Sometimes the rant gets me^^

Black people hitting unsuspecting white passerby's don't exactly count.

lol try again smartass.