PoppinHeads

WTF are with the Books?

I've searched, and cannot find a meaningful answer.  Can someone tell me, wtf are the books for in the game?  Is it really so you're game character has something to do when nothing else is going on?  Is it a way to pass the time when it's dark outside?  I don't get it.  I'm not an avid reader to begin with.  And I'm sure as hell not going to page thru Red Badge of Courage while I am trying to play a VIDEO GAME.  So was just curious:

1) what exactly is the design or creative intent behind having these books everywhere?

2) in a post apocalyptic survival situation, should I really be tying my inventory slots up with BOOKS that I can't eat, bandage myself with, or use to kill an enemy?

3) do any of you actually sit in the game and read these books?

• Like 2

The nice thing about the books is that you don't have to pick them up or deal with them if you don't want to.

They are just there as a neat little addition. I think it's great that they are all readable.

It's a nice touch. Adds detail, and is a cool easter egg sorta thing.

• Like 12

At this time they have no purpose in the game.  This was true with paper and pens as well, until the note functionality was implemented.  

My point is that we do not know the purpose books will have in the future.  Maybe they will be needed to light logs on fire for a camp fire (kindling for the logs).  Maybe the will have other uses in future versions of the crafting system.  We have no idea.  

Just ignore them for now.  

I've searched, and cannot find a meaningful answer.  Can someone tell me, wtf are the books for in the game?  Is it really so you're game character has something to do when nothing else is going on?  Is it a way to pass the time when it's dark outside?  I don't get it.  I'm not an avid reader to begin with.  And I'm sure as hell not going to page thru Red Badge of Courage while I am trying to play a VIDEO GAME.  So was just curious:

1) what exactly is the design or creative intent behind having these books everywhere?

2) in a post apocalyptic survival situation, should I really be tying my inventory slots up with BOOKS that I can't eat, bandage myself with, or use to kill an enemy?

Proper usage:

• Like 8

Might be able to start fires with them at a later date... artist tribute to Fahrenheit 451 perhaps.

Reality = the books within the game are classics. Classics are free for everyone. Therefore it doesn't cost to have them within the game. My guess is they were easy to implement, hence their existence within the game.

That and simple fact that books are fucking awesome.

• Like 2

Educating players to the point where they don't feel the need to KoS anymore.

• Like 4

When making fires is added, you can probably use them as logs :D

• Like 1

Hello there

I read em.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 6

Books will have a use in the future.

Edited by So Sexy

They cant spawn enough equitment in the game cause of performance issues, why they dont remove the books unitl all works

• Like 1

It's sad that people find no use for books. I feel sad for the OP. I'm sad now.

• Like 4

It's sad that people find no use for books. I feel sad for the OP. I'm sad now.

There there, here have some of these  :beans:  :beans:  :beans: .  Beans make all pain go away.  True story man.

• Like 1

you can lead a fool to knowledge

but you cant make him think ;)

Edited by KoS
  • Like 1

The only issue I have with the books, is that there is way to many of them and take up spots that other items could spawn at.

There is no need for the amount of books that are in DayZ atm.

I would honestly like them to be somewhat rare, but thats just me.

In project zomboid (Rocket refers to them quite often), you aquire skill levels by reading books.   You have to read a basic farming book to be able plant plants, basic carpentry to build simple structures,etc.   More advanced levels of skills unlock more actions.   Advanced carpentry is required to build a structure.

If the assumption is you're a civilian in Dayz, then it should for example require a basic guide to military weapons to be able to identify/load a gun, medium skill to clean it properly, advanced skill to repair it. 

The answer is: yes, there are people who sit and read books in this game. Although I haven't really done it yet myself, I'm tempted to next time none of my friends are online to play with just for something to do. I just need an interesting book to read.

Is it completely ridiculous that such a thing (in its entirety) is in a PC game? Yes, absolutely. Some people will still embrace it, though.

Keep them occupied and you'll have all the carefree loot you can handle!

zombie-reading-in-library.jpg

In project zomboid (Rocket refers to them quite often), you aquire skill levels by reading books.   You have to read a basic farming book to be able plant plants, basic carpentry to build simple structures,etc.   More advanced levels of skills unlock more actions.   Advanced carpentry is required to build a structure.

If the assumption is you're a civilian in Dayz, then it should for example require a basic guide to military weapons to be able to identify/load a gun, medium skill to clean it properly, advanced skill to repair it. 

Oh, so after I read Moby Dick I can become a professional whale hunter :rolleyes:

• Like 1

wtf are with the doublepost?

besides this, there's a lot of interesting books in DayZ. i recommend 'call of cthulhu' if you're in for some classic horror novel..

wtf are with the doublepost?

besides this, there's a lot of interesting books in DayZ. i recommend 'call of cthulhu' if you're in for some classic horror novel..

Going to reread "Alice" found a pristine copy the other day and hopped in my chair a bit.

1) Atmosphere and fun

2) Why not? Plenty of space for novelty items

3) Yes, something to do between kills

Reason 1: Realism. Wherever (modern) humans live (or used to live) you'll find books. Is it necessary that you can read them in a game? Sure it's not. But is it a problem? No. If you do not want to read them, just don't do it and ignore them. The devs had to add books anyways, so why not use existing literature? Reason 2: Try to bring "classic" literature closer to the people. In my opinion it is a nice idea to implement them in a computer game.

From a psychological point of view, in an apocalyptic situation (being a lone survivor) you would propably carry many books with you and read them in a desperate try to satisfy your human need of communication and socialization. If you don't have anyone to talk to, you'll use storys and fantasy to create something like a "social life". Also, just keep in mind how many people carry for example a bible wherever they go. "Reading" and "Literature" is an important part of many peoples lives and has a significant impact on psyche. 

Apart from that, at a later point in time books will have practical use. For example use the paper to write on or make fire.

Yes! Being a student of economics, I tak great pleasure in reading Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations"...

• Like 1