synystr

I've heard troubling rumours...(no helis)

No Helis...............ALL DAY SON!!!

Helis make the map super small and makes having a base next to worthless. I really hope helis never make it in the game.

With much respect, I still don't see the hoarding as a problem. Yeah, servers go dry with vehicles from the hiding. People like me and mine enjoy hunting those bases down. We spent about a month on a server hunting down a base against a much larger rival group, used their flight patterns and areas of activity to eventually single them out. At first we found they were flying way out of their way and then moving to the target to misdirect, but as we got closer we found the base through proper tracking.

Eventually three of us made a coordinated plan to infiltrate their base. One came in from the east, another the west, and I from the south. I'm pretty sure I crawled for at least an hour before getting in visual range of the base. One of my buddies lost his cool and opened fire on one of them (around 5 enemies there), which not only alterted them (obviously) but got him shot down immediatly. At that point the plan was sprung, so I ran in, jumped in a chopper to steal it, they broke something on the heli with their gunfire and I lost control crashing it into a few of their cars. My last buddy was position near the "exit" of the base and took out a couple of them leaving in cars until he too was gunned down.

In the end all died on both sides except 2 (enemy) but about 90% of their stash of vehics was destroyed or heavily damaged.

Was fun times.

(was going to link screens, but steam is being slow, so this is just the ARMA II gallery. They're somewhere in there.)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Airfell/screenshots/?appid=33930&sort=newestfirst&browsefilter=myfiles&view=imagewall

The moral here is that this is DayZ, people will horde anything they can, but people will find anything that is hidden... eventually. Its the most epic version of hide and go seek.

Perfect example of the experienced, real life DayZ community.

This thread has officially inspired me to go fly around in ARMA II in chernarus.

• Like 1

...that Dean was saying helicopters shouldn't be in DayZ. I mean, it is his game (at least until the end of the year) and he can push it in any particular direction, but what would DayZ be with out helicopters? They are the end game. They create perilous parts runs around the map in vehicles, which have cause some of the most awesome DayZ moments I have ever experienced. And, when you do get it up in the air, that feeling of power is pretty damn addicting haha.

Conclusion: I really hope that this is just a rumour and not the truth.

Who cares? Mods will be here soon. /thread

• Like 1

People, for the most part it seems, don't want helis because it ruins their opportunity to base build like it's a nicer looking version of Minecraft.

People are also against armed helis because they don't like any form of action, but like to play the game and use their imagination and pretend there are threats out there, when in reality there's not a zombie or player for 2000 meters.

The only thing more satisfying than finding and getting a armed heli up and running is stealing one when they land or shooting it down. But the community is going more towards wanting to get nice clothes and spend the end game beans hunting.

I would actually like to see hand-built gyrocopters in the game. It's very viable for all those crying about 'realism'.

• Like 2

Unarmed heli, could take it or leave it personally. Map is small once you can rise above, travel by land makes it more taxing. Armed heli's...just no. Trollfest down the coast waiting to happen, bad idea.

Agreed.

The last thing this game needs is people being able to fly around pegging random players off.

Agreed.

The last thing this game needs is people being able to fly around pegging random players off.

HAHAHA That is funny. :D Welcome to DayZ, Friend !

• Like 1

Presumably fuel is going to be your biggest problem with running a vehicle? If fuel is scarce - as I think it should be - then presumably this is going to be a big factor in curtailing helicopter use? Can you even run a helicopter on normal retail-standard petrol that you'd be able to scavenge from roadside petrol stations or jerry cans in people's garages? Perhaps the airbases would have some stocks, but it strikes me that it'd be fairly easy for someone to come along and blow it up.

But the biggest factor for me is that I don't think that our survivor characters would have the first clue how to repair and maintain an aircraft, let alone fly one.

My first instinct is that helicopters would utterly break the survival-led gameplay I'm looking for in DayZ - but on reading this thread, I guess they would be a lot of fun in potential. And it does fit the scenario that there might be a salvageable helicopter or two lying about...

I'm not convinced. If they are included, I just hope they're extremely difficult to actually use.

HAHAHA That is funny. :D Welcome to DayZ, Friend !

:D

I'm serious, though!

You think people complain about KOS now? Introduce helicopters in-game.

Having helicopters (and vehicles as a whole) were a major part of the mod. Having spent a long time getting parts for a vehicle, the satisfaction of fixing a huey was incredible for me and my squad.

If there are aircraft, make their maintenance realistic. I also think fueling should be considered more -  maybe the petrol stations could have a random amount of fuel, or some with none at all. It would make players ration how they use vehicles.

People, for the most part it seems, don't want helis because it ruins their opportunity to base build like it's a nicer looking version of Minecraft.

People are also against armed helis because they don't like any form of action, but like to play the game and use their imagination and pretend there are threats out there, when in reality there's not a zombie or player for 2000 meters.

The only thing more satisfying than finding and getting a armed heli up and running is stealing one when they land or shooting it down. But the community is going more towards wanting to get nice clothes and spend the end game beans hunting.

I would actually like to see hand-built gyrocopters in the game. It's very viable for all those crying about 'realism'.

I agree. The kiddies here buy a knowingly difficult game, and then fight tooth and nail to make it easier every step of the way. IMO its not about "whats good for the player", its "whats good for the game."

During the mod we saw DayZ rise to power on the hive, then all these Start with assault rifle, 1500 cars, 58 heli, ect... servers come up, thus removing DayZ from the game. 1 chopper per server, w/side guns is good. Yes, it should be hard to maintain. Yes it should be hard to find fuel. Yes it should be hard to find ammo for the guns. Yes it should be succeptible to small arms fire.

During the mod days, we had appointed pilots in my group. If they weren't logged in, we didn't fly. This isn't BattleField, flying isn't hard... but it isn't easy either.

I really hope if he does add in Helis there can only be 1-2 per server. Anymore then that and ill go play Arma 3. I remember the early days in the mod...helis were so rare they were awesome!

I'd prefer it if there' wasn't a fixed number of anything - vehicles especially.

If you know there's only one per server, and then you see it being used by someone else, you aren't going to keep looking for your own one. It'd be better if there was some random element to it (within some limitations).

I hope they do get added in but are hard to maintain, (like needing other vehicles and a squad just to fix it) would also like to see the Mi 2 or Ka 26 be the helicopters added. Though ultralight/light fix wing aircraft should be more common then the helicopters. I just want a quicksilver ;) 

quicksilver-sport2S.JPGgt500_02.jpg

Edited by kingrex

This is the apocalypse. No planes. Helicopters, period.

If your lucky cars,

I'd prefer it if there' wasn't a fixed number of anything - vehicles especially.

If you know there's only one per server, and then you see it being used by someone else, you aren't going to keep looking for your own one. It'd be better if there was some random element to it (within some limitations).

Thats when you go hunt them down. If you've seen someone with it at least you have a vague idea of where it may be. Mission accepted!

If your lucky cars,

Sure, lots of cars. Just not gas :(

zombies-highway.jpg

If your lucky cars,

I would disagree but that's my opinion. Just because its the "apocalypse" does not mean everything vehicle disappears, though it should be harder to get thing working due to lack of supplies.  

I don't really mind helis, if they were in the game. You know that on any given server, they would be the target of heavy fire and be instantly dunked. They've been proven to be a greater threat in the mod. I've personally either downed a heli or taken out the pilot on more than a few occasions in the mod. It's not impossible. People whine too fucking much. If you want minecraft, go play your easy game elsewhere.

If you knew how to react, you wouldn't typically get gunned down like you were just caught screwing your best friend's girlfriend.

Edited by Gekkonidae

There was no flaw in my logic. 

A single helicopter provides a single group the ability to horde, locate, or destroy all the vehicles and camps on the map in a very short period of time.

Know what happens when a new player joins a server, and they spend 8 hours with friends gathering all the necessary resources to repair a vehicle and set up a few camps out in the woods, just to have it all destroyed that very same night by an established group on the server that has access to a helicopter?

That happens to people who die from sniper fire, getting run over and simply being shot from someone hiding. Helicopters are a lot noisier and chances are the possible standalone helicopters won't be Apaches that can shoot you from miles away; i.e. you'll know its' coming and you can hide or at least prepare.

I would like the ability to shoot small arms from helicopters if mounted ones are not added.

Yes, there should be helicopters: 

• Very few
  • Very complex mechanics to fix up
  • Parts should be extremely rare
  • Fuel should be extremely hard to come by
  • Controls should be ridiculously hard, so proper flight will be near impossible for somebody who hasn't flown/been taught. 
  • Unarmed

Basically, once you spend DAYS, not hours, DAYS scrounging for parts, providing another crew hasn't killed you and stolen the parts, or fixed the helicopter up themselves, then you will get into the helicopter and takeoff only to discover that you have no idea what (x) amount of controls do and all your hard work goes in to the side of a mountain if you don't have a pilot in the group who knows what he (or she) is doing. 

When I fly helicopters in the mod, I barely pay attention, I fly with one hand and text with the other. But in Standalone, you should have to be concentrating 100% on flying to not crash.

Edited by LigerRider

^ Take on Helicopters controls, its where its at. (if we cant have DCS type)  B)

• Like 1

fix wing aircraft and civilian helis should be the way to go. In saying that they should be very complex and they should be something that is basically end game just like cars.

If it's a sandbox, then there isn't an 'end game'.

I really hope DayZ doesn't turn into a game of "capture the helicopter". Because what's that got to do with surviving a zombie apocalypse?

• Like 1