oregonized

Ruining items

Will we be able to use a firearm or melee weapon to destroy gear that is lying on the ground?  I would very much love to use my axe or pistol to ruin items I find but do not need so other players cannot use them. 

Stay on topic and don't troll.  This is a serious thread.

But then you'd have those few douchebags who camp at airfields and ruin all the gear.

• Like 1

But then you'd have those few douchebags who camp at airfields and ruin all the gear.

What is wrong with that?

I can go either way

I can go either way

That's what she said.

Seriously though, it would be nice to destroy Mosin's and M4's when you come across them and just leave them there to not respawn.  It would just ensure your survival just a little bit more.

Hello there

Give it a day or so before you try again.

Rgds

LoK

Actually, ill give it a clean and lets see how it goes.

L

Ps Original closing mod may decide to close. FYI.

Edited by orlok

Seriously I can see that in a way your idea is creative and tactical. It shows you're thinking about how to be original and run an interesting game for yourself. It's like the things I said about barter or bounties or the stuff that other people posted about making ammo, millwrights in Chenarus, etc. There are many ways in which we can make DayZ an imaginative game world. But your idea is just a bit mean-spirited. Don't you want to see other people make it? I mean that in a nice way--I'm not being critical. And, yes, it is all about survival. Cool. Consider this... what if the gear or loot you destroyed might have been found by the very player who just might have saved your life? And may you never break your legs and find yourself without a morphine injector. You: Hey, dude, help! I busted my ankle... The Other Guy: Oh? Aren't you the guy who ruined everything not in your immediate possession? Hear what I'm saying?

Maybe you can be hyper-vigilant and are successful in ruining all the loot and gear (past and future... let's forget about respawning stuff for the sake of my argument). You'd be the only person in Chenarus equipped to survive. What then? You can always set yourself up as a warlord, I suppose. I just hope you can keep all of your subjects alive.

Again, you're trying to solve what you see as a problem for your survival. And it is creative... OK? Your idea is one way to go about weeding out any competition but, man, you are going to end up friendless and soooo alone in a world full of zombies.

• Like 1

They may well implement this when the physics is working properly. i.e. dropping or throwing a weapon may damage it. However, doing so really would be pointless. Part of the whole respawning of fresh items would be the despawning of ruined/discarded ones, otherwise every server everywhere will just be full of ruined items and empty cans of beans. Ruining something would just mark it for despawn at a set time interval and it'll only inconvenience a couple of people at most before it despawns and is replaced.

Don't forget, there are plenty of loot spawns and plenty of servers to go around, so, by all means, ruin a weapon if you have the facility to do so, but don't think for a moment that it will actually make a difference in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Monkfish
  • Like 1

Buncha wasted effort to be a troll once item respawns start working if ya ask me, but feel free to do whatever makes ya squirt.

As a general idea, I'd say "decommissioning" firearms should be possible, yes. But maybe not until we also have the ability to mend things?

And as I think I said in your previous thread, you shouldn't be able to ruin ammo by hitting it with a melee weapon, unless you're also able to, in so doing, inadvertently blow your own feet off.

• Like 1

Well, it all depends on how loot spawning works in the end, but for now if I can ruin a long range scope or anything else that is highly sought after or useful, it would bring me joy.

It's a dog eat dog world in DayZ as many bandits have demonstrated and caused many butt-hurt posts on the forums.  

This is just one more thing to add to the fire and at the same time screw over those bandits who ruin the game for nice(hero) players.

Stay on topic please ladies and gentlemen. 

You already can.. Just pick up the items and jump out off a crane.  :P

Good idea though, at least until the items respawn, you can optimize your chance of survival.

• Like 1

why is this pinned? and didn't dean say that this will be (most likely) unlikely to happen. maybe we can focus our hope on the upcoming bullet engine..

well i would like to destroy/ruin the guns or ammunition of outher players that i robbed... so i can set them free again without having to fear the kill me right away, sometimes you dont have the time or space to get all their dangerous stuff or hide it nearby. maybe just add this as function of the hammer :)

About the stuff lying arround, well why not, it will respawn anyway in the future. atm im sometimes grab guns and take them with me and dispose of them in the woods. im just a bit paranoid sometimes that a player could shoot me in the back with a weapon i kept lying arround :D

Of all the useful threads...this is what we need pinned? psshhh

Yeah I know right,

Damage it, fix it, damage it, fix it

got my mechanics skillz in the collage of the far north! didn't even have to interact with anyone!!

10/10

yes-no1.jpg

It would be cool and realistic.

But there are enough douchebags, who, like already said, would camp at XY and ruin Z..

yes-no1.jpg

It would be cool and realistic.

But there are enough douchebags, who, like already said, would camp at XY and ruin Z..

I think it would just add another dynamic to the game that could help or screw people.

That's what she said.

Seriously though, it would be nice to destroy Mosin's and M4's when you come across them and just leave them there to not respawn.  It would just ensure your survival just a little bit more.

I just take them with me and dump them in the woods :). 

I just take them with me and dump them in the woods :). 

I usually take them and dump them somewhere nearby where nobody would even imagine looking for loot.

But then you'd have those few douchebags who camp at airfields and ruin all the gear.

I already take all the parts off of m4s I find and drop them randomly in the grass outside. Does it make them unusable? No idea but it can't be optimal

depending on my mood and how RP-ey i'm feeling ill sometimes hide ammo, particularly in places like elektro and krasnastov due to their close proximity to airfields and military loot