entspeak

Don't respawn loot.

This will undoubtedly not be a popular idea, but here it is: don't respawn loot except on server restarts - or, at least, make it this way for hardcore servers. People talk about wanting things to be rare and, even with no loot respawn, it's possible to gear up incredibly fast. And, with persistent objects coming in, "rare" won't mean much if loot respawns. We saw this in the mod.

Yes, it's hard to survive when all the prepared foods have been looted from an area. But, the ability to hunt will alleviate that somewhat.

This will also force people to look for camps and not simply stay in the cities to farm them for respawning loot.

Loot farming breaks immersion and was one of the downsides of the mod. Even if only in the hardcore environment, it should be prevented in the best way possible... don't let loot respawn.

• Like 3

Totally agree. No loot respawns for hardcore please!

Even now, without loot respawning it's easy to gear up and no problem at all to survive. Only threat is other players.

Things like food and water, little bags and such stuff, should respawn in my opinion.

Edited by Rancor

Totally agree. No loot respawns for hardcore please!

Even now, without loot respawning it's easy to gear up and no problem at all to survive. Only threat is other players.

If so you also need no server hopping on hardcore for that to work. Otherwise hopping will be even worse.

Things like food and water, little bags and such stuff, should respawn in my opinion.

Players should be more dependant on what nature can offer instead of a supermarket. What gets ruined is gone, that's how scarcity works otherwise we would just be a vacation in the woods where you can just get some beans when you are hungry. Maybe that makes players take care of their stuff more and value lives and equipment instead of risking it because they got bored.

Edited by Enforcer

I dont see any point of this... so people who log in after restart can get all the stuff and the others get nothing? Why not a good respawn system so there is only little loot after the restart and it only spawns little amount of loot over time? It would make loot allways rare and not only 1 hour after restart.

• Like 4

correct me if I am wrong but isn't the point to loot respawn and zed respawn to prevent having to restart the servers??

• Like 1

If so you also need no server hopping on hardcore for that to work. Otherwise hopping will be even worse.

They will never be able to totally stop server hopping on public servers... the only way to do that is to get rid of the public hive completely. And, I don't think they're going to do that. The current means of limiting server hopping will suffice. Especially in comparison to the relative ease of loot farming. Having to wait outside the game - and leaving your character vulnerable for 30 seconds each time you leave to server hop - will dissuade many from loot farming by server hopping. People want to spend as much time in game as possible. At least then you can do something in the game while you wait for the loot to respawn. Take away loot respawns and they'll be forced to leave their characters vulnerable every time they choose to leave and then they have to go through the boring process of waiting to login to a new server. I think that'll work fine.

I dont see any point of this... so people who log in after restart can get all the stuff and the others get nothing?

No, there will still be camps to raid that will have items that remain after restarts. There will be people to rob; there will be animals that respawn; there will still be water. It's inaccurate to say that there will be nothing if you aren't there for a restart - the argument is specious.

correct me if I am wrong but isn't the point to loot respawn and zed respawn to prevent having to restart the servers??

Where did you read that? Most servers will likely restart every three to four hours anyway. In the mod, people would begin to lag pretty badly if the server was up for a very long time without a restart.

Edited by entspeak

Agreed. I would propose some kind of initial control, though. Like enough food for X days (like man hours. You'd have 1000 play hours on the server). Then of course restriction on weapons and so forth.

But I think the idea goes a little against the 'hive' concept. It would be fun to see it more as a 'real' survival where it's kind of a resource fight. You can steal food stashes and so forth but no new food spawns...

But I think the idea goes a little against the 'hive' concept.

i don't understand. The hive concept only meant that your character and the stuff on your character would go with you from server to server.

Where did you read that?

good question - I don't know if I read it somewhere or if that's what makes the most sense to having zeds and items respawn because having the server reset all the time seems to discourage any long term commitment to a particular server. if I am on a populated server that's been up for a couple of hours where is my incentive to remain on the server knowing that everything is already in the hands of someone else, I'll just hop to a server that I think might have what I am looking for and hope I have a good 2 or 3 hours of play before a reset. having said all that - if loots and zeds respawn the game continues uninterrupted on the same server, so long as there is no reset, and I can maybe find what I am looking for and kill some more zeds on the way.

good question - I don't know if I read it somewhere or if that's what makes the most sense to having zeds and items respawn because having the server reset all the time seems to discourage any long term commitment to a particular server. if I am on a populated server that's been up for a couple of hours where is my incentive to remain on the server knowing that everything is already in the hands of someone else, I'll just hop to a server that I think might have what I am looking for and hope I have a good 2 or 3 hours of play before a reset. having said all that - if loots and zeds respawn the game continues uninterrupted on the same server, so long as there is no reset, and I can maybe find what I am looking for and kill some more zeds on the way.

This argument is specious. With persistent objects coming in, everything won't be in the hands of everyone else. It will be in their camps; it will be barricaded in an apartment; it will be in a backpack tucked under a tree. Animals will respawn and water doesn't run out. It won't be easy, sure, but that's the point of hardcore, no? It just means you'd have to be more creative with your looting or take to robbing people - all a part of the survival element - respawning loot diminishes that.

In the over 100 hours I've played this game, I have only very rarely had a problem ultimately finding what I need... and this is without loot respawns.

Edited by entspeak

No, there will still be camps to raid that will have items that remain after restarts. There will be people to rob; there will be animals that respawn; there will still be water. It's inaccurate to say that there will be nothing if you aren't there for a restart - the argument is specious.

Did you even read my whole reply? And if you dont understand hyperbole... Ill rewrite the sentence for you:

I dont see any point of this... so people who log in after restart can acces to loot more easily and the others need to search harder and use their enviroment more?

Edit:

This argument is specious. With persistent objects coming in, everything won't be in the hands of everyone else. It will be in their camps, it will be barricaded in an apartment, it will be in a backpack tucked under a tree. Animals will respawn and water doesn't run out. It won't be easy, sure, but that's the point of hardcore, no? It just means you'd have to be more creative with your looting or take to robbing people - all a part of the survival element - respawning loot diminishes that.

But some servers will restart every 4 hours for smooth gameplay... So every 4 hours you know there will be all the loot and you will go for the big loot spots. To achive the thing you want there shouldnt be any loot respawn at all just all loot placed when the server starts running and then never ever new loot until a complete server reset.

Edited by Symon
  • Like 1

I think they should make special "modes" for the servers not only hardcore and regular. It would be better if they add some more server options (private hive only!). For example white listed servers which start at the first day of a month and then have 1 hive for this month (or week or 10 days or whatever). If you die you can't respawn. Also the loot doesn't spawn. This would create a very realistic apocalypse situation cause everyone has the same possibilities and nothing respawns (not even zombies nor animals).

For the normal servers I want respawn cause you can't play when the server comes online. I'd prefer less food and water in the buildings. If you're away from the coast you are drowning in food and drinks

Did you even read my whole reply? And if you dont understand hyperbole... Ill rewrite the sentence for you:

I dont see any point of this... so people who log in after restart can acces to loot more easily and the others need to search harder and use their enviroment more?

I understand hyperbole... that's why I said the argument was specious. And to answer your question, yes... welcome to the zombie apocalypse where life is harder for some people than it is for others. But, as anyone who has ever played DayZ long enough can tell you: while the early bird certainly gets the worm, it's the keeping of it that is the hard part. Edited by entspeak

This argument is specious. With persistent objects coming in, everything won't be in the hands of everyone else. It will be in their camps; it will be barricaded in an apartment; it will be in a backpack tucked under a tree. Animals will respawn and water doesn't run out. It won't be easy, sure, but that's the point of hardcore, no? It just means you'd have to be more creative with your looting or take to robbing people - all a part of the survival element - respawning loot diminishes that.

In the over 100 hours I've played this game, I have only very rarely had a problem ultimately finding what I need... and this is without loot respawns.

well I have to say that after almost 370 hours now even the most common and simple items can get very rare on a full server - I traded a bag of rice for a hacksaw one morning after searching for 2 days and finding not a one - this was on experimental however. personally I am not too concerned with how difficult they make the hardcore servers as I am not too attached to my gear but if the regular servers get too difficult people won't play the game. some people just like it easy and I don't have any problem with that either. I really hate server restarts as they seem to happen at the worst possible time.

it just needs to be an intelligent spawn system.

if there is a lot of high value loot in the inventory of the players/arround the map those items wont spawn as much as before.

But if those items get ruined or disappear with a dying player they should get back into the spawn list.

with this system items stay rare and wont respawn again again... but there is still a chance to get them for new players.

having servers were a few players have all the good loot would be a bad idea.

i hope they add more influences that can harm loot (weather, damage from pve/pvp) so you cant walk arround with the same stuff all the time and you have to get new stuff/repair it from time to time.

but well this is only possible on a one server one hive system, but those will come as far as i know.

Edited by Sonic-NKT

I understand hyperbole... that's why I said the argument was specious. And to answer your question, yes... welcome to the zombie apocalypse where life is harder for some people than it is for others. But, as anyone who has ever played DayZ long enough can tell you: while the early bird certainly gets the worm, it's the keeping of it that is the hard part.

Dude Ive been playing DayZ for years. I know every single s**t of the DayZ game. But the point is its just stupid that the people get loot more easy when they join after arestart. Its not like you need much effort to join after a server restart so you need to get rewarded for it. A good loot spawn system would handle this much better.

• Like 1

Loot respawn is not a problem here. Probability is. We can have dynamic respawns, but will lower chances.

• Like 1

well I have to say that after almost 370 hours now even the most common and simple items can get very rare on a full server - I traded a bag of rice for a hacksaw one morning after searching for 2 days and finding not a one - this was on experimental however. personally I am not too concerned with how difficult they make the hardcore servers as I am not too attached to my gear but if the regular servers get too difficult people won't play the game. some people just like it easy and I don't have any problem with that either. I really hate server restarts as they seem to happen at the worst possible time.

And rice should be rare, it's the quickest energy giver in the game at the moment. It should come down to trading a hacksaw for a bag of rice... that's what the game is about! I've also spent days hoping to find a bag of rice and I love that. If loot respawns, people will farm for rice and everyone will have tons of it. Any loot respawn system can be farmed. Even without a loot respawn, you will have farming in the form of server hopping - but the impact there would be negligible for the reasons I stated above. Loot respawn negatively impacts the apocalyptic economy... things in the world that should be rare will become not so rare very quickly with loot farming and persistent storage.

As I said in the original post, maybe limit it to hardcore servers. I think loot farming will negatively impact the game in either mode, but maybe limit this to hardcore and have loot respawn in the easier version.

Dude Ive been playing DayZ for years. I know every single s**t of the DayZ game. But the point is its just stupid that the people get loot more easy when they join after arestart. Its not like you need much effort to join after a server restart so you need to get rewarded for it. A good loot spawn system would handle this much better.

Ah... more hyperbole. Yes, and it's just stupid that some people win the lottery while the rest of us have to slave away at our jobs. It's not like you have to take much effort to play the lottery. And in all your "years" of playing DayZ, have you seen a good loot spawning system? One better at preventing loot farming than not having one?

Loot respawn is not a problem here. Probability is. We can have dynamic respawns, but will lower chances.

Loot farming diminishes the effectiveness of a probability system for dynamic loot respawn. Having a loot system with lower spawn chances is not going to stop a guy from camping near a supermarket and getting enough food to survive without having to move anywhere else on the map.

Loot respawns will lead to more KoS because people will no longer have to rob or barter for a bag of rice. Social interaction will go down. Why bother with that guy who may kill me when I can just farm the supermarket for a bag of rice? Why steal that guy's gun when I can farm the police station in some small village for a weapon?

One of the huge upsides of the lack of loot respawn in the Standalone and the fact that you can't eat ruined food or use ruined gear has been that you have to be careful when you interact with people. All that effort to create a damage system that will change how people interact begins to be pointless when you simply have to loot farm in order to get working gear and food you can eat without hunting or gathering.

Edited by entspeak

Server restarts are necessary for other reasons as well. You get issues like memory leaks in the code that can gradually eat your RAM and slow the servers down. And eventually, once enough crap is spawned on the map, you get the same result. Server restarts have to happen sooner or later, and somewhat regularly, to keep your game running smoothly.

Loot isn't rare. I've been making a series of youtube videos where I gather just food and attempt to trade for more gear, but I can't find anyone who needs food or anything else for that matter. I ended up getting geared because the people I approached would just give me stuff.

And all after I'd read so many times on the internet that loot was too scarce, not enough food, etc. What a load of shit.

If you think basic survival should be easy, then why even have those mechanics in the first place? DayZ was originally going to be a survival game and zombies were added as an afterthought. There is no survival challenge here whatsoever.

Even if loot respawns without restart, it should do so in a way that creates scarcity. Someone just mentioned that they had to trade for a hacksaw because they couldn't find one - that's exactly how it should work. It forced interaction with another player, the risk of approaching someone to see if they have what you need.

To solve server hopping, all you need is private hives.

• Like 1