spikes525

ultra rare katana

Nothing wrong with an ultra-rare one, as the OP suggests. It's plausible, that in your hundreds of hours of roving the wasteland you meet someone who decided he'd take a katana (prop or otherwise real) as a weapon, as useless as it can be.

Of course, they'd have to deteriorate quickly (but let them be super-effective, just 'cause!). You couldn't kill a hundred zombies with one. It'd be an item to be cherished, collected, worn for show. A katana would become quickly ruined if used as a regular zombie-killing weapon. A ruined katana could look like it's missing half the blade, caked with blood, mud and rust.

Remember people, just because they implement an ultra-rare katana, doesn't mean it'll replace a more ''fitting'' item. They'll still make hoes, scythes, knives, tazers, kalashnikovs, helicopters, armor and cleavers for us to enjoy. 

With the new melee system, you guys know how good it'd look! 

Ehhh... Having a weapon being that "ultra-rare" seems to make it look like it wouldn't be worth the devs' time anyway.

Kudos to some brony or some shit for the photo, this is the kind of people who live in Chernarus: 011-Kosovo-Old-serb-man-Farmer-Cow-Cart-

Do these bad dudes look affluent enough to be purchasing themselves a katana? Remember, buying katanas is a hobby almost exclusively done in the West by weapon collectors and neckbeards. Chernarus doesn't even have computers with LCD screens, it's too poor to afford weapon collectors and/or neckbeards. There just would not be a katana around to have. Save it for modding.

Ehhh... Having a weapon being that "ultra-rare" seems to make it look like it wouldn't be worth the devs' time anyway.

Kudos to some brony or some shit for the photo, this is the kind of people who live in Chernarus: 011-Kosovo-Old-serb-man-Farmer-Cow-Cart-

Do these bad dudes look affluent enough to be purchasing themselves a katana? Remember, buying katanas is a hobby almost exclusively done in the West by weapon collectors and neckbeards. Chernarus doesn't even have computers with LCD screens, it's too poor to afford weapon collectors and/or neckbeards. There just would not be a katana around to have. Save it for modding.

Are they really too poor? The game is being developped in the Czech Republic that it's partially based on.

I won't speak for the developpers, but a katana is just another melee weapon. I would imagine it being not too hard to implement (although not something to put in at this stage in development), and I don't see why the game shouldn't have as many items as humanly possible, as rare as they may be. It really gives life to the world, never really knowing for sure just what the hell you'll find. 

Hell, even the useless junk makes this game better. So far, everyone I play with always stops to marvel at the books they've found. They're always pleased to find one of their liking and will gladly carry it around. 

Edited by Very Ape
  • Like 1

I want kukris! And a razor sharp boomerang (with a retrieving glove) mad max style! And crossbows!

What, not found in east european countries?

How about AKs then, meat cleavers and riot shields? Anybody think those are too exotic?

I own a forged carbon steel katana as well, but to be honest, I'd like a proper medieval broadsword. I just feel wonky trying to swing mine around with two hands, but I'm fairly uncoordinated. Sword collecting is a hobby of nerds everywhere, and most people I know own at least 1 sword. Maybe it's my circle eh? I'll get myself a broadsword one day. I mean, seriously, who doesn't know that 1 guy that collects swords? Even the gun stores here sell swords, sometimes nice ones. Of course, the cheap crap from head shops is more common, the stainless steel nonsense that is unbalanced and too heavy (5 lbs for a short sword? lolwat), but hey, there exists good quality hand forged swords too. I mean, when does this Day Z happen, today? In the internet age, in a now democratic post soviet state? Swords should be as common as custom built PCs. Look at the big bang theory even!

Note: I'm just suggesting just katanas, but a broad range of longsword, broadswords, shortswords, and other things that are the staple of nerds.

A medieval broadsword would be rubbish- and I have 4 katanas a hand and a half sword theodens sword from LOTR and various others I think everyone needs to be real- combat knife machete the Russian sword maybe but NOT a katana there good for unreal zombie games bit dayz is pretty sick with the few weapons you've got at the start cuz there realistic like you find the weapons in barracks and shit Edited by PaulyB_1994

Nothing wrong with an ultra-rare one, as the OP suggests. It's plausible, that in your hundreds of hours of roving the wasteland you meet someone who decided he'd take a katana (prop or otherwise real) as a weapon, as useless as it can be.

Of course, they'd have to deteriorate quickly (but let them be super-effective, just 'cause!). You couldn't kill a hundred zombies with one. It'd be an item to be cherished, collected, worn for show. A katana would become quickly ruined if used as a regular zombie-killing weapon. A ruined katana could look like it's missing half the blade, caked with blood, mud and rust.

Remember people, just because they implement an ultra-rare katana, doesn't mean it'll replace a more ''fitting'' item. They'll still make hoes, scythes, knives, tazers, kalashnikovs, helicopters, armor and cleavers for us to enjoy.

With the new melee system, you guys know how good it'd look!

Have any of you ever heard of an Easter egg!! I mean are you kidding me? Anything that is the least bit exotic is immediately rejected, you people don't have the imagination to ever think of what could happen! In real life, of course there will be at least one katana, a trophy from an American, found in a museum, a Russian sword could even be dug up in the dirt of one of the many castles. Of course, it is very rare, perhaps one per server to find, until he leaves or dies. Or, could be one per 20 servers.

Just a refresher, for those who don't look at comments and don't advance the conversation!

Edited by smrtrthanavgbear
  • Like 1

Again, I don't want lasers, or Lambo's.

But fuck your setting. If it's true that the devs support this narrow minded, game limiting mindset, well that just blows.

When's the last time you heard a little, whining child, scream and cry things like "Fuck you", "Fucking die", and "Go fuck yourself". Badass kid, that one.

Dude shut the hell up no one wants your shitty 10 year old imagination in dayz we want to keep it as Russian and set so it's not a stupidly unreal game you want a katana tough shit- find a Russian equivalent and put that in you shouldn't even be playing dayz go and play dead rising or something like that it would suit you more

Fuck you.

Go fuck yourself. Fucking die you game limiters.

Hello there

This is not an attitude we tolerate. FYI

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

Hello there

This is not an attitude we tolerate. FYI

Rgds

LoK

Yeah lok not aqua is an angry little kid shouldn't be allowed to post his childish suggestions and keyboard warrior threats here I'm gunna dayz him so bad if I see him can't wait to hear him scream and rage >:D

1. I'm not 10 years old :3 such criticism for the youngsters, what's wrong with their ignorant sense of opportunity?

2. Get yoself some imagination, Easter eggs have made games!

3. Just because a suggestion is said with grammer in such a way does not mean that they are young, or that the idea itself is not of quality to be added to the game!

4. Back to topic!

In real life, of course there will be at least one katana, a trophy from an American, found in a museum, a Russian sword could even be dug up in the dirt of one of the many castles. Of course, it is very rare, perhaps one per server to find, until he leaves or dies. Or, could be one per 20 servers.

Just a refresher, for those who don't look at comments and don't advance the conversation!

I would post a pic of imagination of spongebob, but my iPad will not allow me for some reason

As someone already mentioned, there could be historical remains from cossacks era 1700-1900year. They wore swords similar to this:

osman-damasc2.JPG

If there was museum building, perhaps.. Perhaps.. :)

• Like 1

As someone already mentioned, there could be historical remains from cossacks era 1700-1900year. They wore swords similar to this:

osman-damasc2.JPG

If there was museum building, perhaps.. Perhaps.. :)

Or even ceremonial swords in military bases for parades?
  • Like 1

You know, I tolerate the idea of military weapons being as common as they are, but I will shit bricks if they add god damned katanas to this game.

You know, I tolerate the idea of military weapons being as common as they are, but I will shit bricks if they add god damned katanas to this game.

I agree there's enough zombie games with katanas need something Russian!
  • Like 1

Oh come on, ´´big hobby´´...

Why not give me model railways too?

I am sure I can beat zeds to death with a good quality metal HO Train! They are priced collectibles!

Don't worry about the H.O, go the 0 gauge brass ;) 

If you have a look at a few sites, you will find that there is a lot of Mideivel reinactment, knife and armour makers through out many of the ex Russian states. Russia and Japan also had a bit of a war in the early 1900s before ww1, and there are plenty of "crappy" sharp replica's out there, in better shape than machettes. Respawned players should have access to a melee weapon pretty much right off the bat, and a hacksaw or can opener doesnt really cut it ...

Don't worry about the H.O, go the 0 gauge brass ;)

If you have a look at a few sites, you will find that there is a lot of Mideivel reinactment, knife and armour makers through out many of the ex Russian states. Russia and Japan also had a bit of a war in the early 1900s before ww1, and there are plenty of "crappy" sharp replica's out there, in better shape than machettes. Respawned players should have access to a melee weapon pretty much right off the bat, and a hacksaw or can opener doesnt really cut it ...

How many medieval enactor organisations are there? Considering the population of Chernarus, for there to be one on average in the map area, there would need to be approximately 20 000 in Russia...

Yes this is good idea, but they also should consider adding settlements for higher class with villas and swimming pool, maybe a tennis playground or even bastetball playground. Those would be the areas to loot for ultra rare weapon such as katana, or maybe some rare gun or rifle or even clothing. 

They should also add a museum of some sort for loot place. 

I want a broadsword.

fcmwd.gif

Maybe even a dress saber or something.  Russian officers had that right?

Edited by BigMike

Yes this is good idea, but they also should consider adding settlements for higher class with villas and swimming pool, maybe a tennis playground or even bastetball playground. Those would be the areas to loot for ultra rare weapon such as katana, or maybe some rare gun or rifle or even clothing. 

They should also add a museum of some sort for loot place. 

I too want to see fenced-off penthouses belonging to ex-KGB who got their position in Chernarus's corrupt government, got the bribes that came with it, and bought themselves bourgeois pads with limousines. Preferably up to the north near Svetlo, where they then created a rich bitch resort area.

I want a broadsword.

I've seen another gif from a Mythbusters-type show where a katana couldn't even penetrate a frozen sandwich without snapping. Seriously, that shit is flimsy. Check pages 1-3 to see the Shashka you seek, BigMike.

already suggested...back in 2013 from whatsmynameagain.

A medieval broadsword would be rubbish- and I have 4 katanas a hand and a half sword theodens sword from LOTR and various others I think everyone needs to be real- combat knife machete the Russian sword maybe but NOT a katana there good for unreal zombie games bit dayz is pretty sick with the few weapons you've got at the start cuz there realistic like you find the weapons in barracks and shit

See earlier about stainless steel nonsense. Katanas are weak, as demonstrated here earlier. They exist to balance out the impurities in PIG IRON, and are primarily peace time weapons used for dueling against unarmored opponents and are not true weapons of war. Deal with it. I'd like a proper double bladed longsword. No movie props, a carbon steel hand forged beauty. Right now I settle for an MKII.

Museums smusheums, every ren-fair has a few good racks of decent swords.

See earlier about stainless steel nonsense. Katanas are weak, as demonstrated here earlier. They exist to balance out the impurities in PIG IRON, and are primarily peace time weapons used for dueling against unarmored opponents and are not true weapons of war. Deal with it. I'd like a proper double bladed longsword. No movie props, a carbon steel hand forged beauty. Right now I settle for an MKII.

Museums smusheums, every ren-fair has a few good racks of decent swords.

Do you know nothing? Not true weapons of war? The samurai katana was probably the most iconic and deadly sword ever to have graced the battlefield, maybe do some research before you say katanas are rubbish, TRUE katanas not the fake and replica there crap but a real katana (voted by deadliest warrior) was much more lethal- it had the capacity to behead someone with relative ease. I know a lot about swords and to suggest the katana was not a true weapon of war you need to go get educated.

Oh dear, the katana argument has started. No one will ever be able to claim doing good ´´research´´ again and they will never be able to claim again that the sword from their favorite culture (usually their own) is the BESTSZOR BETTAR DAN EVRYTINK. And then they will tell us all of how every distinguished gentleman clearly owns atleast five sets of them and how they should commonly spawn as loot in DayZ.

Oh dear, the katana argument has started. No one will ever be able to claim doing good ´´research´´ again and they will never be able to claim again that the sword from their favorite culture (usually their own) is the BESTSZOR BETTAR DAN EVRYTINK. And then they will tell us all of how every distinguished gentleman clearly owns atleast five sets of them and how they should commonly spawn as loot in DayZ.

I'm English, I've never been to japan but appreciate they mastered the art of sword making, I don't want a katana in the game as it's a silly idea, but the katana was the perfectly forged sword

I want a broadsword.

fcmwd.gif

Check this out. Katanas are an intricate way of trying to deal with making a weapon out of pig iron by spreading out the impurities. If you could smelt properly, this wouldn't be necessary. Also, they're not meant to stand up to metal armored opponents. They reached their high point in the edo period. The 1600s-1800s and they're still using pig iron. Just consider that.

I'd like a proper military arming sword.