tamingatche91

Do you leave your morality at the door?

The only true friendlies in DayZ are the ones that, whent hey know you are there, attempt to go around or avoid you. Especially if htey have a gun. This means they dont want trouble and that's the only time someone could be friendly.

I think you're right about that. I'd like to trust anyone who says they're friendly but I've seen a lot of betrayals on some of the game uploads on YouTube.

Btw, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKujZ55zvzk&list=UUy5OkG7_WR07nbgkDLDXZYQ&feature=c4-overview

See? Ultimate betrayal. :D

PS. I'm not that sensitive or paranoid but I just want to add that, in case the above posts are remotely referring to what I posted about RL vs virtual behavior, I have no problem at all with KOS against geared players. I do have issues with in-game torturing; too much of that happens in our world today. And I think it's valid to point out that some RL players may well be disturbed individuals.* Just wanted to add this proviso. :)

*Of course, no one on this forum is disturbed. It's the Other folks who aren't social enough to join a forum. LOL.

Edited by tarascon

Honestly i knew the world, or the more importantly the "west" has gone soft, but seriously morality in a fucking game now?

Come on lads, were going to start applying rules and regulations to games as well now?

Can we not just have some dam fun and remember its a game.

This forum would MAKE me KOS everything i see for as long as i play just to annoy all these pathetic posts.

Edited by 6The6Count6

You children can harp that this is a game all day long, but it's people who play it. 

You children can harp that this is a game all day long, but it's people who play it. 

It is a game. Thats a fact.

^ What Alogos and Ozar said.

I know that this post may piss some people off. That's not my intention... and I intend no judgements. I tend to approach most things ethically and philosophically. And DayZ is a great game for a number of reasons. For me, the game has deep sociological implications as well. It's part of what makes it an important and innovative gaming milestone. Just for the record, I am 58 years old and have been playing some sort of computer game since text-based games like Zork.

Regarding "torture play" and morality in DayZ: When I play there is stress, anxiety, and sometimes panic when I get jumped. These feelings are real emotions and have real world repercussions on my physiology. That's how we're wired and it doesn't matter that what we experience is virtual. I haven't actually shot or killed another person in the game but I'd like to think that when I do, I too will have some sort of a neurobiological response. I may feel remorse. But I think not because that's partly what the immersion is all about. It's about survival. If I have a problem with another survivor and I see no way to escape, I will shoot to kill. This torturing business is, frankly, beyond me and I don't see the purpose. It's certainly not fun and it certainly isn't needed to simply survive. Knock the person out, handcuff them, or kill them if you need/want their loot. Would you be willing to, say, water-board a human being in RL? Probably not. Why would torture in a game be morally any different? I'm not talking about the scene in GTA5. The developers wanted to make a point, I think, about where our civilization seems to be heading. It's not fun to watch but I get it. I believe the consequences of torturing in an MMO like this does have real, damaging effects on a player's psyche. Maybe not immediately (and done repetitively) but within a given span of time it surely will. That is, unless the person playing is already callous about suffering in general.

When I was 19 I served in Vietnam and I saw a person tortured. It's really not a fun thing to witness.

End of lecture. ;)

Edited by tarascon
  • Like 1

For those who play DayZ: Standalone do you play it while acting how you would act in real life. What I mean is does your real life sense of morality affect how you choose to interact with players or do you just play it and not get hung up about shooting that fresh spawn for his can of beans?

Given that we have the choice to be a good guy or a psychopath, I choose to be the good guy.  I know how hard (and time consuming) it is to legitimately "gear up" in this game, so to KOS because I get a giggle out of it isn't my idea of fun,  I enjoy interacting with others just as I would in my day to day life.  If the intention of the game was to get point by killing others, then I'd play differently. I hope it never comes to that... 

It is a game. Thats a fact.

I agree, it is a game. It's a game where when you die, you may have just flushed an entire afternoon down the toilet.

I don't know how old you are, but I have come to realize (like most adults) that time is one thing you can't afford to waste and replace at your leisure. Adult gamers don't always have a lot of spare time to spend playing video games which is something that a lot of young people don't understand when they experiment and fool around. That's why most clans in MOST games separate the age groups, but that's another discussion.

The problem here is that you have a game concept that draws in all types, but game mechanics that, to this point, favor one type of player, the predatory one. Eventually though, when the stakes of dying are a bit higher, when the items you carry are harder to find and more important than the product of a fifteen minute sprint across the map directly to the closest airfield.

As adults though, we have patients. We will wait. Our time will come. :P

• Like 1

Everyone claims their in game actions are completely different than in real life.

Game or not there is still a “real person” controlling that pretend player.

If you have no respect for that person in game, how can you have respect for that person in real life?

I bought DayZ in hopes of meeting people and making friends while trying to survive a post apocalyptic world with limited supplies, while scavenging the world for supplies such as food, water, weapons and medicine, while killing or avoiding both zombies and other players,

What I have found is no friendships, no opportunity to make friends just players murdering other players on sight because they can.

I have not met any players that have any morals, (must be why Dean Hall said fuck this I am out of here) this game has turned out to be just another mindless run around and shot anything that moves game.

• Like 1

^ Obviously, I agree with your post except for the last two parts.

I have found friendlies in-game (not many yet, to be honest, but the fact that I haven't run into them doesn't mean they're not there) and there are people who bring their ethical behavior into the game. I know I do, and have had PM's with fora members who do as well. And the OP's question, I think, speaks to that. You just haven't run into them yet. I'm not sure why Mr. Hall has decided to leave the dev team... it doesn't bode well. One of the problems behind some of the mindless mayhem is due to the fact that geared up players either don't know what to do next or simply lack imagination. I do not want to see this great game's potential ruined because, atm, there aren't enough zombies (or "infected") [each undead takes a massive amount of memory] or that DayZ SA is being played as a Team Deathmatch.

Do not give up hope. ;)

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/02/24/stand-alone-dean-hall-to-leave-bohemia-and-dayz

The reasoning is sensible, which is a relief. Hall hasn’t watched one too many Youtube videos of bandits committing atrocities and decided to pull the plug on the monster he created.

Nile? River? Egipt?

I under stand there are good players out there but finding that 1% is like winning the lottery.

^ You can find good folks here. I did.

You found me--and despite what some flamer-types have said about my "KOS bloodlust" on another thread--I haven't shot at or killed anything but the undead so far. I would never get aggro on a bambi or an unarmed person, unless they provoked me. And I avoid bandit-infested areas if I can.

Just to be clear, though, there are situations where KOS might be necessary. Or handcuffing and looting/disarming someone (if you are desperate for supplies). But it's a far cry from surviving and being a serial killer in-game.  And I don't even wanna repeat what I think about some of the torture crap that goes on.

As Tarascon stated, the lack of options drives many of the "distractables" let's call them, to take the easy route to some instant gratification. They're wasting valuable time as far as I'm concerned. I choose to put it to good use, gathering a group of good, intelligent and curious players, learning everything I can and sharing it with my clan mates.

I firmly believe that super aggressive player will eventually be left in the cold to live among the dead. It kind of stands to reason that it's hard to make friends when you go around shooting at everybody and unless he plays 24 hrs a day his home will never be secure. Even if he finds other bandit friends, what sort of disagreement does it take to cause someone to turn on you, when the only reason he's your friend in the first place is because you happened to be in the same TS server before you got the chance to shoot one another? 

It's a game. I treat it like a game.

If you can't separate the game and real life you should probably not play it, I don't think that's healthy.

It's not like I'm sitting screaming in agony when my dude gets shot or hit or weeping for the loss of my survivor, I hit respawn just like everybody else.

Well just kill it all. Without nametags you cannot be sure if that "Bambi" is a just a innocent bystander or some one that just wants his gear back / is spying for his squad.

More often then not when we had a firefight and had a group pinned down in a building of sorts they send some one out with just a pistol to charge madly at us so the could take potshots

said person would then (after respawn) just run up to his friends again to get his gear or to repeat the process.

So in a town I kill everyone that enters/stays in my sphere of action

Funny thing, I met somebody in a food shop and we got to talking while this other guy glitched through the floor. He seemed to be okay just phasing about so we ignored him as I helped this brand new player find his bearing. We went into the back to loot the shelves in storage and when I was about to leave the guy phasing through the floor earlier appeared out of nowhere pointing a mosen at me.

Usually at this point I'd be like, "Darn it not again," but he shot me 4 times at close range and missed every single time. I just ran before he could release a fifth shot yelling into my mic "Run dude he's a terrible shot," but then the guy got lucky and got me in the leg so I couldn't walk.

He must have thought I was dead because proceeded to gun down the new guy (D:) then came up to me and tried to loot my corpse. He couldn't and must have realised that was alive because he took aim to shoot me one last time when the gun clicked. The guy had forgot to reload before going back outside into the open, now I'm not exactly a veteren of Day Z but I always make sure I have my weapons loaded before going out into the open, especially so close to a food hot spot.

So the guys empty and I can't help myself. For the first time ever in DayZ I taunt the guy saying, "Haha your empty," then I stand up, draw my axe and split his head open. That situation reminded me that not all Bandits are good shots, if you can't hit me at close range WHILE I'M STANDING STILL with a mosen then you may as well not Bandit people. It also made me feel like a badass by actually surviving for once but sadly my leg was broken so I crawled to the nearest hospital and and got killed by a Zombie.

Sad face my friends...sad face