Sign in to follow this  
iBane

Why does no one use the text chat in game?

Just curious about this.  I NEVER see any conversations going on via global text chat in-game; (yes, I'm playing on busy servers).  This is the polar opposite of say RUST where the chat frequency approaches spamming. 

What the there is no global chat ...( your a huge defender of dean and the game and dont know this?????

Edit that sounded harsh i am just surprised that you didnt a try it yourself or read where dean doesnt want it , it is supposed to be a tense gritty place not get spammed by there bandits in electro being dicks followed by we got you fag(@*&!...

Edited by SoulFirez

Text chat is like voice, local to you inmediate surroundings. I think it even degrades with distance.

People don't use text direct chat because it takes too long and you have to stop moving to type.

As above - there is no global chat.

If you type in direct chat only people within about 50-100m of you can read it.

I've tested it with a buddy. It rarely works. Could be standing a meter away looking right at the person and they won't see the text.

It works 100% of the time for me. Some people do have issues with it and I'm not sure why though. :S

• Like 1

Not to mention that typing is too stop and start when you can just yell abuse or instructions over mic.

It works 100% of the time for me. Some people do have issues with it and I'm not sure why though. :S

Weird that I have had nearly 0% success with it. I wonder how many "kos" happened because one party got no chat response from the other.

it also shows your name, which some people may not like.

my mic went down for a couple days, and i felt completely lost without it

Just curious about this.  I NEVER see any conversations going on via global text chat in-game; (yes, I'm playing on busy servers).  This is the polar opposite of say RUST where the chat frequency approaches spamming. 

If you're talking about direct chat: It's too slow for me. Before i set up my microphone, i repeatedly found myself in situations, where i couldn't communicate fast enough to avoid disaster.

Edited by JackinatorLP

I use it when my mic is muted and don't ever seem to have any problems with it. When my mic has been muted, direct chat has saved my ass on numerous occasions. 

Because you have to be super close to another player and its easier (and better distance it seems) to use VOIP.

My mic broke and I just haven't been bothered to get a replacement yet, which means if I need to converse with people it's via the local chat which brings with it loads of problems. Essentially I can't chat and have my gun ready at the same time as the chat system "locks" you out of other movements. Because of this, I've basically just been ignoring people.

I will say thanks to a couple of people I met on the experimental server the other day, I swapped food for bandages (for some reason my medikit had "disappeared" from my inventory), however it was only really possible because (1) they were friendly and (2) I was massively better armed than they were so the logic goes I could have killed them for their loot rather than just asking for it.

Edited by ricp

Only NECESSITY to use type chat it for is regarding hearing impaired players, which in itself is a shame that ALL games don't have a embedded "voice to character" system. 

Rest of population can work with the voice chat alone.

I think they should let pristine walkie talkies cover the entire map, damaged 5k badly damaged 1k.. but that's just me all I know is that I have yet to speak to a single random soul on one yet..

With communication programs such as, Skype/TS/Mumble, ect. all using your Mic for communication, people prefer it, and it makes sense, you need to stop moving and type something out, and by the time you have it all typed out, whoever your typing to has already moved outside of the range where he/she would see it, voice chat is faster and more efficient especially in fire-fights where no one is going to bother reading when they can listen or talk direct.

Weird that I have had nearly 0% success with it. I wonder how many "kos" happened because one party got no chat response from the other.

Probably not many. There's no time for typing in a heated situation. If you don't have a microphone I'd recommend 1) getting one and 2) avoiding other players like the plague unless you plan on shooting them.

Probably not many. There's no time for typing in a heated situation. If you don't have a microphone I'd recommend 1) getting one and 2) avoiding other players like the plague unless you plan on shooting them.

It does have one advantage though if you stalk some one the text message is not directional like voice in direct is....