Sign in to follow this  
amazingmazer

Looting on low population servers

Is it a good idea/tactic to get loot on a really low population server with like 4 or 5 people on it so you are not killed and the loot is not taken? So when you go to play on a high population server, you will have all of the loot and be in the same spot because loot and location carry over from server to server.

If you are reffering to server hopping at Military spawn locations, I would say no. I look at it as a cheap way to get gear. All the noobs server Hop balota airfield for gear. I see it happen almost EVERY time i go there. Be original and run to NWAF where the real action and loot is at.

• Like 1

But to get to the NWAF without any good loot (weapon, ammo, food and water) is suicide by KoS....Word of the wise  B)

For me Balota and Cherno are radioactive zones.... :murder:  :murder:  :murder:

It should be fine, just as long as you don't hop from server to server to get more loot. Choose one server, and stick with it.

Dont you lose your character if you switch servers?

i thought your character was bound to the server now? i remember it was not like that on the mod but now?

can anyone clear that up? as i broke my legs, so i found a zombie to kill me but as i laid unresponsively waiting for my death i got kicked from the server. now i joined a new server and started from scratch got good loot and was on my way, then the next day i click a server where i had good ping, and bam, i was back with my broken legged character.. turns out i had joined the server where my character had broken hes legs. 

so now, i want my character back, the one ave spent a day on, i log out and back into the next to last server i was on, and bam, i got my character back... so does this mean? characters are locked to servers now?

You don lose you char if you change servers, you only get a new one on the hardcore servers.

1 char in regular and one char in hardcore.

Sometimes due to missed comunication with hives your char is reset......sucks i know ;) But hey, its an alpha :D

Hope this replied to your question ;)

Edited by El Perrito PT

I wish they'd remove the player list in-game and the counter in the server browser and replace it with a full - yes/no column. This is more or less cheating IMO.

Edited by Mos1ey
  • Like 6

I personally think that if you want to play on low pop. servers, go for it. 
Something that I don't like, is people gearing on low populated servers, only to hop to high pop. servers because that's how they want to play (with a lot of people (targets) in the world). Doing this just shows how weak you are, it's just a cheap way of quickly gearing up imo...

Maybe it would be good if there were different hives for different pop. servers... Like having a hive for 0 - 20 players, 20 - 40 and so on... Although I can imagine this bringing more problems then solutions to the table..

I wish they'd remove the player list in-game and the counter in the server browser and replace it with a full - yes/no column. This is more or less cheating IMO.

OMFG, god forbid that we could chose a server according to our own playstyle. Thanks but no thanks, prefer to make my own decisions.

• Like 3

You don lose you char if you change servers, you only get a new one on the hardcore servers.

1 char in regular and one char in hardcore.

Sometimes due to missed comunication with hives your char is reset......sucks i know ;) But hey, its an alpha :D

Hope this replied to your question ;)

That is good to know,thanks

I had tried a hardcore server,and when I seen I was respawning from scratch I was so shocked as too losing my Character and all my loot lol

After though,I had played again one of my favorite servers in Regular and noticed I had all my old gear etc.

Was funny how empty I had felt,when I had first thought I lost all my gear ;)

I work nights in RL,so on weekends even after sleeping in it is still very early when I get up

My favorite server is a Low Pop server in my early mornings so it is a fun time to loot ;)

Getting to be a busier server as people wake up on Saturday morning

The Southern airfield is a hotspot,

twice now I have been KoSon that airfield

yesterday,I was only one on the server for sometime,checked Pop just before entering the airfield

just started to loot the Barracks,and a Guy logged on,came into the Barraks and killed me

I redpawned on the Beach and started over....he then logged out and he had spent less than 5 minutes on that server

and got my 3 hours worth of loot

Something needs to be adressed for server hopping,and logging into hotspots such as airfields and military bases,hospitals,supermarkets etc.

Game should atomatically not allow people to log in and out of these places somehow

It's a spoiled fast food generation we live in,everyone wants it NOW!

I prefer to hang out up North...takes more effort to get up there so there is a lot less population up there ;)

I have 50 hours played.  I only play on low population servers because I enjoy the survival aspects in the game.  On low population servers airfields and barracks aren't safe. Even with 2 other players on there's a pretty good chance there going to a airfield.  I have been sniped and ambushed with 4-6 players on multiply times mostly in the beginning of my learning.  With so so many KoS player's I really don't see an issue with changing servers.  I would like the see Dayz developers focus on shelters/crafting and adding more survival aspects in the game.  Once you get more skilled at surviving in Dayz KoS players become your main problem.  To me this is a bigger problem then server hopping.  KoS players are scaring away to many players like me.  It's very frustrating to play 8 hours and get killed plus never even fire a shot or see the shooter.  But I have learned that getting loot notable an axe isn't to hard.  But I have to say the first 2 times I was killed was pretty upsetting. :) The only thing I would personally ask of the developer's would be to hold off adding another sniper rifle till beta. I like the direction they have gone with handling both hopping/ghosting and KoS players.     

OMFG, god forbid that we could chose a server according to our own playstyle. Thanks but no thanks, prefer to make my own decisions.

Player count does not dictate your play style. If you enjoy the survival aspect of the game then just stay out of the big cities and military hotspots as that's where other players go.

Oldest tactic to go on low pop to gear up. Nothing wrong with it. For me it's just not much fun running around alone.

But to get to the NWAF without any good loot (weapon, ammo, food and water) is suicide by KoS....Word of the wise  B)

For me Balota and Cherno are radioactive zones.... :murder:  :murder:  :murder:

The NWAF ain't that much of a hotzone any more. Especially on low pop servers there's probably no one except rabbits and some Zeds.

that is just silly in my opinion. it is not cheating. it is whining, in my opinion. i wonder, perhaps everyone whining about one or another thing should make there own game ^^ JUST the way they like it!

It's happened more often than not but when My friends and I finish looting an airfield server always resets, or it happens in the middle of looting. So we change server because we can never remember which server we are on, and since we're there might as well loot again...then that server resets. It's frustrating to say the least, way too much time is spent in the airfield but how can you pass up free ammo and food? We do take a bit longer to loot the place than we should but we're hoping to get into some player interaction with actual communication out on an airfield. It has happened a few times but mostly it's 1 or 2 other guys who try to KoS one of us without realizing there are 2 more of us. It never ends well for those folks.

that is just silly in my opinion. it is not cheating. it is whining, in my opinion. i wonder, perhaps everyone whining about one or another thing should make there own game ^^ JUST the way they like it!

Why is it silly? Playing on an empty server allows you to gear up freely without any kind of risk whatsoever. DayZ was never intended to be a singleplayer game, there are supposed to be a lot of people in a server.

Absolutely horrible idea and i hope it never happens. There is enough bugs in the "time out" system and this would cause even more server hopping than there already is. The issue of server hopping isnt actually solvable without locking your character to a server for a set amount of time, weather that is by making it a few hours of realtime or a complete day/night cycle or a death/suicide. Lets not forget that loot doesnt respawn at present either, so if you are late to a server reset your chances to get geared up EQUALLY are severely limited, once loot respawns are set/defined the server hopping will be reduced but in reality will never be eliminated. 

Player count does not dictate your play style. If you enjoy the survival aspect of the game then just stay out of the big cities and military hotspots as that's where other players go.

Player count MASSIVELY dictates your play style and you want to dictate playstyle even more by suggesting that if you want survival aspect stay away from military grade loot. Survival aspect enjoyment doesnt have to mean you handcuff yourself to a particular area of the map, even on low pop servers pvp is viable but at least you dont have 30 peeps trying to KoS you and military grade gear can still be a challenge to get. This is especially true for a solo player trying to survive while there are plenty of squads/fireteams out the with no other thought than KoS.

Edited by Tmar09

I do not see why there should even be a hive.  What I loved about most of the other modz over vanila was comunity.  You can not get that when alot of players just jump to a server that has a given amount of players.  Personaly, I always pick 1 server and that is the only one I play on, no matter how many players are on it.  I will admit, I do have a second server, but only in case the first is full.  I would love to see them get ride of the all encompasing hive, and do clustered servers.  Say 5, no more then 10 servers each.  This way, even if you do not group with them, you will get to know the other players on that cluster.  That plus doubling the timer for server hooping.  Ofcourse, this is alpha and I would not put it in now, but just an idea I would love to see at retail release.

i think that if you are a new player then sure go for a low pop server get your bearings and yes gear up too , ok im not meaning camp a military base obviously but yes can be hard for when you dont have much to start although it is possible to make it on a high pop if you goto right areas and stay away from the obvious hotspots as listed but this is a very slow process. However this is the fun of the game . I also feel as soon as persistent items  "ie backpacks or tents" are on servers players will stick to certain servers more rather than jumping from one high pop to another looking for kills .  

If you are reffering to server hopping at Military spawn locations, I would say no. I look at it as a cheap way to get gear. All the noobs server Hop balota airfield for gear. I see it happen almost EVERY time i go there. Be original and run to NWAF where the real action and loot is at.

There is no action at NWAF. Quit lying.

So if you run ti NWAF and its looted (which it hardly ever is) you wouldn't log out and try another server?

So we change server because we can never remember which server we are on, and since we're there might as well loot again...then that server resets.

You don't have to remember. SA saves the last server. You just have to click "Play" again. And ffor the mod DayZ-Commander has a history tab.

Server restarts are the best way to get loot on SA.

Picking a low pop server makes you a lazy player lazy players die easily ....

What do i mean well when there is no one on you feel safe comfortable so you move in the open dont watch your ass so when you eventually run into that other player you are seen your un prepared you usually die..

Playing high pop trains you by death after death to play like there is going to be someone , scope an area out before cruising in to loot .

Watch for movement stay off roads ( stay near them and on the high side when your newish gives you view of the road and eyes in the distance...

To many players gearing on low pop then throwing themselves in high pop to pvp do it all in high pop the experience is more rewarding and it teaches you better habits...

Ultimately you can do whatever you want, go ahead server hop, but you may find it's more of a head ache than it's worth. I suggest (to new players at least) to pick lower population servers in order to become acquainted, not server hop but find safety to get used to the game in order to grasp what it's all about without dying every 3 minutes.

Once you know the ropes, get familiar with the map and coastline than it's easier to survive higher pop servers, I am at the stage of dabbling with medium to full servers from fresh spawn stage for a challenge, and because I gradually worked my way into DayZ I didn't get burnt out on all the banditry KOS right of the bat.