Sign in to follow this  
Sunslayer

Give civilian clothes some bonus?

Hey guys,

While I am relatively new to the game, I have noticed most players I encountered or seen are wearing military camouflage or tactical shirts. I understand where this is coming from as it gives them an advantage in concealment against other players. However, that makes civilian clothing mere stepping stones until you can make yourself look like a commando. As of now, everyone simply dumps their jeans, shoes and jacket as soon as they find TTsKO stuff. I'm wondering whether it is possible to give bonuses to civilian clothing in the future expanded PVE contents, such as being lighter, weather resistant, stay pristine longer or keep your warmer in cold weather. That will provide reasons for players to actually utilize them.

Edited by Sunslayer
  • Like 2

All of the things you listed at the end will be given to civie clothes, don't worry. :)

• Like 1

I actually prefer not to use TTsKO, I think the patterning is too busy and doesn't really offer that much of a boon to camouflage, I prefer green cargoes and a tactical shirt/green hoodie, still blends well but it also looks less militant.

wish I didn't have to wear a vest to be able to carry a sawn-off though, damn thing won't fit in my courier bag because I can't rotate it.

Hey guys,

, such as being lighter, weather resistant, stay pristine longer or keep your warmer in cold weather. That will provide reasons for players to actually utilize them.

So you want civ clothing to have all the advantages mil gear is designed around?  Light weight weather proof and durable with great utility and cargo space. LMAO

• Like 2

If you're in a city the TTsKO doesn't really conceal anything. From my own experience.

If you're out in the woods, there's brown hunter pants, green cargo pants, brown hoodie, the green hoodie and probably more to come plus the green raincoat.

I'm actually not using military clothing. I'm currently wearing a green motorcycle helmet, a green raincoat and green cargo pants. I'm camouflaged, and it looks cool.

If you're in a city the TTsKO doesn't really conceal anything. From my own experience.

If you're out in the woods, there's brown hunter pants, green cargo pants, brown hoodie, the green hoodie and probably more to come plus the green raincoat.

TTsKO is the best for woodland areas at the moment. Single colors will make you stand out more in a woodland area. There is a reason armed forces use camouflaged clothing, it works better, just as it does in the game. However if you are the more "I will run in the middle of an open field like a headless chicken" type you'll want to stick to green clothing.

Edited by weedmasta
  • Like 1

I wear nothing and lay prone on rocks blending in with my white skivvies and black mosin. I'm too OP for clothes.

• Like 1

TTsKO is the best for woodland areas at the moment. Single colors will make you stand out more in a woodland area. There is a reason armed forces use camouflaged clothing, it works better, just as it does in the game. However if you are the more "I will run in the middle of an open field like a headless chicken" type you'll want to stick to green clothing.

Well I said it doesn't conceal shit if you're in the city and I was giving suggestions what to wear if you're in the woods - since the op didn't want to wear camouflage clothes. I'm concealed enough with the clothes I use when I'm crouching underneath trees or in bushes. I wouldn't be if I was sprinting across a field, but neither would someone in TTsKO. I'm not if I go prone in a field, though someone wearing a tactical shirt on the other hand would be. It's all about adjusting to your surroundings - and I guess my hat really does make me stand out from it though.

The suggestions that civilian clothes should be lighter, not deteriorate as quickly and so on is just plain stupid (except that a pair of canvas trousers are lighter than a pair of sturdy hunter's trousers). Clothes used for outdoors activities are going to endure more than a pair of retail denims, they're usually more water resistant and hunter clothing are, as far as I'm concerned, civilian clothes - just that they're made for outdoors activities. I guess the down jacket is quite warm though or will keep body heat longer than say just the TTsKO jacket and since we can't use layer upon layer - you've got the trade off right there.

• Like 1

I don't see why civilian clothes would outperform military uniforms in a number of the ways the OP listed. They do not tend to be more resilient, weather-proof, etc, than their military counterparts.

I also don't see a reason to balance them. Not all things are equal, and this is very much he case in DayZ. Balance for balance's sake is silly.

• Like 2

Buffing civilian clothes is stupid.

However when they lower the spawns for the military clothing and make it harder to find, civilian wear will be much more prominent.

I don't see why civilian clothes would outperform military uniforms in a number of the ways the OP listed. They do not tend to be more resilient, weather-proof, etc, than their military counterparts.

I also don't see a reason to balance them. Not all things are equal, and this is very much he case in DayZ. Balance for balance's sake is silly.

This. World of Warcraft is that way. →

/thread

Why should civilian clothes get a bonus?  What is the real life bonus?

People wear military clothes for the inventory space and camoflage.  Why introduce some artificial reason to wear civilian gear?

This is like the military argument.

Know why I use shotguns and rain coats with cargo pants most of the time?  Because they are good enough for me and I save an hour long trip out west and back.

camo is great for breaking up your silhouette, but it's far less efficient then your surroundings (a good bush does it better), and in some ways it limits your options as far as concealment, for example lying prone in a field of grass, you're better off with a more solid (and dull) green colour then TTsKO because the grass breaks up your silhouette, but the busier pattern of the camo creates a contrast against the relatively simple pallets of the field and can actually make the outline of your person more defined.

plus there are a tonne of people who will shoot you for wearing camo (stupid I know) so I find wearing less militant clothing helps somewhat (it still annoyes me that I need the vest for my shotgun when it should by all means fit in my courier bag).

in real life I'd definitely prefer the camo, but in this game I find simpler dull colours tend to blend more with the varied (and sometimes very simplistic) colour pallets and the foliage breaks up my outline plenty.

So you want civ clothing to have all the advantages mil gear is designed around? Light weight weather proof and durable with great utility and cargo space. LMAO

Say that shit to Bear Grylls' face. I double dog dare you. His clothing line is civilian and offers all those advantages. LMFAOPHGSJO

Say that shit to Bear Grylls' face. I double dog dare you. His clothing line is civilian and offers all those advantages. LMFAOPHGSJO

Can't tell if being serious or sarcastic...

I am guessing sarcasm!

Can't tell if being serious or sarcastic...

I am guessing sarcasm!

? Why wouldn't I be serious about this? Dicks, Cabella, Gander Mt, Bass Pro Shop... They all have civilian hiking and outdoor clothes that are way better than anything I was issued in the Marines. Haven't you ever heard the term "good enough for a government job?" Out BDUs were sewn by blind people for goodness sake. Bless them.

They do not tend to be more resilient, weather-proof, etc, than their military counterparts.

Nope, that's utterly incorrect*. Waterproofed military clothing uses the same waterproofing barriers as waterproof civilian coats do - it's often either a treatment with a solution soaked into the material (often closer to water resistant) or a membrane lining the material (such as the world famous Gore-Tex, although brands of outdoor clothing often have their own versions - Berghaus AquaFoil, Lowe Alp[ine Triplepoint Ceramic, North Face Hyvent to name three). What the membrane will do is act as a barrier preventing cold moisture and wind from penetrating through to the wearer whilst allowing warm moisture (sweat) to transfer out from within the garment - so long as the outer layer is 'beading' - this is where a solution is used to prevent immediate penetration of the outer material by rain and moisture so that there isn't a layer of cold wet material preventing the warm moisture from escaping.

Outdoor clothing, as in that intended to be used for activities such as walking, trekking, climbing, mountaineering and so on tends to be incredibly tough and hardwearing - I work currently as a builders labourer and as such my clothing takes quite a large amount of wear. The pair of trousers I use consistently are a 12-year old pair of Berghaus 'Activity Trousers' that frankly I've used constantly over the years, ever since I purchased them at my first job which was with an outdoor clothing retailer in 2002. None of the military surplus trousers I've owned have lasted a quarter of that time even when not used for work.

Military =/= Better

*EDIT: I should have put this as 'Actually they can be'. I went off on one and went back and rewrote bits and... didn't touch the first line, so my apologies for that.

Edited by rapier17
  • Like 3

Nope, that's utterly incorrect. Waterproofed military clothing uses the same waterproofing barriers as waterproof civilian coats do - it's often either a treatment with a solution soaked into the material (often closer to water resistant) or a membrane lining the material (such as the world famous Gore-Tex, although brands of outdoor clothing often have their own versions - Berghaus AquaFoil, Lowe Alp[ine Triplepoint Ceramic, North Face Hyvent to name three). What the membrane will do is act as a barrier preventing cold moisture and wind from penetrating through to the wearer whilst allowing warm moisture (sweat) to transfer out from within the garment - so long as the outer layer is 'beading' - this is where a solution is used to prevent immediate penetration of the outer material by rain and moisture so that there isn't a layer of cold wet material preventing the warm moisture from escaping.

Outdoor clothing, as in that intended to be used for activities such as walking, trekking, climbing, mountaineering and so on tends to be incredibly tough and hardwearing - I work currently as a builders labourer and as such my clothing takes quite a large amount of wear. The pair of trousers I use consistently are a 12-year old pair of Berghaus 'Activity Trousers' that frankly I've used constantly over the years, ever since I purchased them at my first job which was with an outdoor clothing retailer in 2002. None of the military surplus trousers I've owned have lasted a quarter of that time even when not used for work.

Military =/= Better

You have my canned "tactical" bacon.

Edited by Crooked Hauser
  • Like 1

What civilain clothing is more resiliant to wear and tear and the enviroment than clothing designed for the military? Just shhh and w8 for your hello kitty and be greatfull. edit, as to previous post, i could be worng but all the Berghaus and any other outdoor clothing items ive ever purchased have not stood up to much at all, but ive never owned any modern military clothing either.

I don't think that military is cool, as of now it makes you feel like a ***, something we have to deal with for getting those extra gear slots and cammo. (oh, fyi bear grylls cloths will be ****** after one week in the wilderness, its just light and doesn't itch or absorb water so he likes them)

Edited by Iowa23
  • Like 1

There is talk about a stamina system.

We may see benefits to traveling light in the near future.