Slyguy65

Question for headphone users (game audio through headphones)

Does it help wearing headphones when trying to determine where sound is coming from direction wise?

Cause honestly its getting annoying hearing a shot like its right next to me but end up being a jack ass hiding behind a building 50 meters ahead or behind or next to me.

Just wondering if headphones give a directional aid.

Does it help wearing headphones when trying to determine where sound is coming from direction wise?

Cause honestly its getting annoying hearing a shot like its right next to me but end up being a jack ass hiding behind a building 50 meters ahead or behind or next to me.

My personal experience says no.

Game sounds at the moment are a little buggy and weird.

Sometimes you wont even hear that gunshot at all; Meanwhile your friend swears that he just heard a 4 round M4 burst quite nearby...

• Like 1

Um.. ignore his stating No.

YES, they do.

If you have surround sound headphones, all sound is directional. Proxy, gunshots, etc.. Meaning you dont just know there is a sound, you know where. All sound is also limited by a set distance. So when you hear a M4 round, you can be certain that is is within X distance of you. Also why some may hear a sound, and others may not along with needing to face the direction of the sound itself at great distances.

Edited by lrish
  • Like 2

I would have to say yes. I have incredible audio positioning when I use my headset, and my headset was a cheapy stereo one.

Edit: Though, while my headset is a cheapy, I am using 8-channel output on my Xonar DG.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

The only sounds that seem directional and distance correct is talking in direct and even that might not be right but i seem to be able to pick it perfect where gun shots i dont have a clue ( thats trying with headphones and through my 7.2 sound system...

EDIT strange such varied answers may i ask what sound card everyone is using or if its built in what mother board???

Edited by SoulFirez
  • Like 1

With my 7.1 headphones, I definitely get a direction to sounds like voices, bullets, etc, but I cant say Ive been able to always use that alone to pinpoint the location of someone.  Maybe its me, maybe its the limited capability of ingame sounds right now...I cant really say.

• Like 2

Headphones is definitely a big advantage. They have saved my life more than once, as they enable me to hear not only the footsteps of people sneaking up on me, but also the general direction. I have been killed a couple of times where I hadn't bothered with headphones, where I know using headphones could have saved me, or at least provided me with a chance of fighting back.

It is true there is some problems with gun sounds, on longer distances you need to face the direction of the shooter in order to hear the shot, but on medium to close encounters I haven't had this problem.

So that is a big YES.

• Like 1

The only sounds that seem directional and distance correct is talking in direct and even that might not be right but i seem to be able to pick it perfect where gun shots i dont have a clue ( thats trying with headphones and through my 7.2 sound system...

its your headset then man... I use Astro A40's with the razor surround sound app installed (free app) and its crazy accurate with directionality. 

• Like 1

If you have surround sound headphones, all sound is directional. Proxy, gunshots, etc..

Even with a cheap stereoheadset it's possible determine where sounds coming from.

its your headset then man... I use Astro A40's with the razor surround sound app installed (free app) and its crazy accurate with directionality. 

Hmm ok ill have to source another set then (they are 3 years old) but the sound through a sound system is not correct?? or do i need to replace my sound card???? (works perfect with other games and damn it sounds good when i play my movies using my pc as i have it hooked to my 65 inch 3d tv and 7.2 onkyo sound system...

I have some basic turtle beach over the ear headphones and it definitely helps when determining which direction sound is coming from.  If you can get some, GET SOME.

• Like 1

Hmm ok ill have to source another set then (they are 3 years old) but the sound through a sound system is not correct?? or do i need to replace my sound card???? (works perfect with other games and damn it sounds good when i play my movies using my pc as i have it hooked to my 65 inch 3d tv and 7.2 onkyo sound system...

it may be interfering with the signal in DayZ?...

I just use 2 audio cables. When I dayz its hook it up to the one end, when I watch movies its to the surround speakers in my living room. All I do is take 3 seconds to swap connections first. So maybe that is a good option? Use direct to PC when on dayz, and route through the receiver when not. 

EDIT strange such varied answers may i ask what sound card everyone is using or if its built in what mother board???

i am also surprised by the mixed statements. i know distance is bugged for sound and sound is buggy in general but for some saying yes it works for sure and others saying no...it worries me how many people have certain advantages over others in certain areas

I'm using a cheap Plantronics Gamecom stereo headset and an Asus Xonar DG sound card in 8 channel mode. I can usually track the origin of gunfire and other sounds very well up to at least 400m and beyond, but sometimes I have not heard gunfire at all so I suspect it's buggy sometimes.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

There is big difference between real surround headphones and virtual surround sound.

Personally i'm using a x-fi soundcard with true 5.1 headphones, and seem to be able to tell the direction of audio pretty well.

Yes.  I'm usually able to determine the direction the sound is coming from.  It's saved my butt several times.  Using Turtle Beach x12 headset.

I've got a cheap headset and it helps with sound. Its not like I hear a shot and I know exactly where the shooter is but I know the general direction. I have had some weird issues with sounds coming through the wrong side a couple of times though.

depends of headphones, if u have good gaming headphones (5.1 or 7.1) its helps alot, evn good stereo will do a work

I have 7.1 headphones I use for every game, on here I am pretty damn good at hearing where I am being shot at from. I have never played through my 5.1 speakers so I dunno the difference. 

Also I don't know if this has been said since I skipped over some of these responses, is that setting your sounds in game to 128 (the max) from the default, helps incredibly, as you will not hear some things that you should and from not as far away if you don't change this option. (i found this out by personal experience) 

My personal experience says no.

Game sounds at the moment are a little buggy and weird.

Sometimes you wont even hear that gunshot at all; Meanwhile your friend swears that he just heard a 4 round M4 burst quite nearby...

Exactly this. There was also a test done earlier where you could only hear a mosen if you were facing it :(

You can differentiate sounds easier, and notice quieter sounds, but the positional audio doesn't appear to be working at this time.