Sign in to follow this  
Apocrypha8

How do you deal with playing lone-wolf?

I feel like I'm getting cabin fever! lolol I don't necessarily play only lone wolf, but it always turns out that way. I take breaks and try to find someone to talk to to give me ideas on what to do in game. Not that it gets boring per say, its just that I am void of human interaction for the most part. Especially when I play on low pop servers to gear up. 

What are y'alls opinion on the matter.

I feel like I'm getting cabin fever! lolol I don't necessarily play only lone wolf, but it always turns out that way. I take breaks and try to find someone to talk to to give me ideas on what to do in game. Not that it gets boring per say, its just that I am void of human interaction for the most part. Especially when I play on low pop servers to gear up. 

What are y'alls opinion on the matter.

Roleplay.

And be super serious about it.

No matter what role you put your character in, or what personality you give it... take it SUPER SERIOUS!

Best way to play lonewolf, for real.

• Like 4

Alone?  I'm NEVER alone.  I have Mr. Compass to talk to, as well as Sir Reginald Fireax and Canny McOpener.  I must say while I don't agree with Sgt. Ammobox's views on Abortion, he does make for some lively debates.  he..heheh..EHHEHEHAHHEA!

• Like 32

Roleplay.

And be super serious about it.

No matter what role you put your character in, or what personality you give it... take it SUPER SERIOUS!

Best way to play lonewolf, for real.

Nuff said^

I've been playing in a true apocalyptic style recently. High populated servers with little chance of loot (unless you find the secret spots), scruffy civilian clothing and improvised backpack. Carrying a machete and an fnx loaded with one round, used in the style of the Road as a means of threatening someone rather than an offensive weapon. Sadly other players KOS me before I get to play for any serious length of time.

APLHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR DURRPPP

• Like 3

If there's one thing this game has teached me is that other people are worse then zombies. 

Head up north and hide in the bushes.

• Like 2

Alone?  I'm NEVER alone.  I have Mr. Compass to talk to, as well as Sir Reginald Fireax and Canny McOpener.  I must say while I don't agree with Sgt. Ammobox's views on Abortion, he does make for some lively debates.  he..heheh..EHHEHEHAHHEA!

I think I just died xD

---

I've been playing for about a week on a bunch of different servers, some where there was only one other person on and some that were full, and I have (surprisingly) only come across two people. That's the beauty of a massive map I guess. The first encounter was me seeing some dude in a rain coat and soiling my pants until he said he was friendly, and went on his way. The second I saved some dude from a zombie and we teamed up and looted a couple small towns before we got separated while searching a town and he abandoned me (douche...).

Other than that, I always play lone-wolf style. Personally, I like being alone; I get more loot, I don't have to worry about keeping the other person alive, and also I generally don't trust anyone with a lethal weapon. When I come across a player, I usually try to hide and just watch them (creepy, I know), or even follow them for a while, and depending on what kind of gear they have, I'll approach them. If you have something I really want, I may consider robbing you. Don't worry, though, I'm not an unimaginative bandit, I can get pretty creative. But if I can tell you're just starting off, I'll usually come up and give you a weapon (I usually carry a spare melee weapon) and, if I have enough to spare, some food, and exchange a few words and be on my way.

EDIT: Just remembered a couple encounters that were rather short-lived. One of them was just today. I was in one of those huge apartment buildings to the NW of Cherno, and I was looking out one of the windows, when all of a sudden someone started shooting at me. I couldn't hear their gun, but I heard four bullets tear right by my head. I must've sat at the top of teh stairs with my m4a1 for like 10 minutes after that waiting for the person to come up the stairs thinking he killed me. Never saw hide nor hair of him.... Anyways, the other was somewhere along the shoreline. Again I never actually saw this person, but I was running towards some houses when all of a sudden someone opened fire on me and killed me (rather wasteful for whoever it was, as I had just spawned and had literally nothing)

Edited by forceofthegrim
  • Like 2

Make my f*$%&ing day!

i like playing lonewolf, it makes DayZ a whole lot more scary then outnumbering people 5-1 whilst on teamspeak. when im lonely, i run thru a town and insta flashmob :D

I am never alone. I have

Lucy, my M4

Leana, my FNx45

Lola, my Colt

Luan, my Sawed off

And of course, my fire axe, Brutus.

• Like 3

I love playing lone wolf and it was stated above already, roleplaying can provide an excellent basis for wanting to play this game again and again and even again. So to date in DayZ SA, I have had three main characters in which I attempted to play differently. The first was an Asian man called Gary who wore all camo and rocked the M4. He liked the NWAF so much that he frequented it daily looking for loot and or trouble. Soon after, Gary found a Mosin and a LRS and about 180 rounds of 7.62. Gary got complacent one morning when standing out on the air strip. He starting shooting and attempting to range the Mosin across at some sheds when out of no where - SKS rounds began to hit all around him. Gary shat his pants and ran into a tiny shed. A minute later, Gary popped his head out and got it shot off. RIP dude.

My next character was a dark man called Stanley. He was a Militant. Stan liked wearing all black clothes and complained that there were no black back packs to be found anywhere. Stan wore a black beret with a red star and was a proud man. Stan was more careful than Gary and ran alone for most of his days out in no mans land. The bad lands. All was going good for Stan who had shot at least two armed survivors days before somewhere near Vybor. Stan watched these men run with rifles on their backs about 200metres in front of him when he decided to open fire. The first guy dropped in one shot but Stan threw another round into him to make sure. The second guy tried to hide in the grass and immediately was preyed upon by Stan and his hard fought Camo Mosin. A third guy who was running behind the two deceased males, observed the ambush and promptly combat logged behind a hay bale. Stan did not approach the bodies and watched them disappear. So one day soon after, Stan decided to trot over to the NEAF. Stan was now brandishing a burlap sack and rope as his main carry-all and was proud as punch. So Stan entered the eastern Jail and did not find much of worth. He had observed on the players list, a player called Bonecrusher. Bonecrusher was the only other player in the land and so Stan thought chances of running into him at the location would be slim. Nope! As Stan walked around the corner en-route to the Control Tower, he came face to face with Bonecrusher who wore a bright green mountain pack and a gasmask. Bonecrusher had a SKS in his hand and was already facing him. Stanely had a pistol in his hand. Both men began to panic shoot immediately and Stan came off second best.  Stan died where he stood and Bonecrusher looted his body. RIP. (Stan was not server hopping)

My current character is into olive clothing  and loves collecting maps.

Edited by Attackm0de

I have been playing about a week now. I run with a friend but many times we can't hook up so I go it solo. What I've observed so far:

At respawn, no real sense of fear from players since if they kos, you got nothing to lose.

High sense of paranoia from zeds until you get an axe or firearm, then they become a non issue.

It's when you get some decent gear where the real fear of people takes over. When I have gear I'm scared to solo due to everyone kos' ing everything that moves.

So for me, playing and wether or not I go solo depends on what stage I'm in as described above.

• Like 1

"How do you deal with playing lone-wolf?"

Rum/Coke and lots of it. Relieves the paranoia every time and stops me talking to the wabbits.

You gotta be careful who you talk to when RPing and who you run from. Most fully equipped players will KOS as soon as they realize you are there. When you are close to an airfield or military base: kill them or run. I was going lone wolf with both my hardcore and my regular character yesterday. I tried to RP my ass off. 5 people tried to kill me on sight. One sniper finally got my regular char in Elektro whilst I was talking to two badly equipped guys that were afraid of me. I switched to hardcore, left a house, got shot in my backback instantly, killed the guy. Ran to the ship wreck, saw a player running in after me, confronted him, told him to drop the weapon and that I wouldnt harm him. Got shot in the back of my head by his mate.

Respawned, ran to Berezino. Moved around a corner without weapons. Saw a guy with an M4. told him: hey there. Answer was a full magazine emptied into my tummy.
RP with fresh spawns or people low on ammo/inferior weapons. Never try to talk to guys with m4s or mosins with long range scope. They hate talking. They are looking for kills and are afraid you might steal their stuff. Unless its me, I really didnt want to harm you. But be creative about your characters. Each death means a new life.

The classics are:

Charnarussian Tourist Office

Military patrol of the defense forces

Big bad mofo cowboy

Black dude telling everyone they are racist

Desparate survivor

Selfless hero

Friendly rapist

Morgan Freeman: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCy5OkG7_WR07nbgkDLDXZYQ

If there's one thing this game has teached me is that other people are worse then zombies. 

Head up north and hide in the bushes.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I've played this game with practically all my friends - being alone is most effective, simply put. I've wiped squads of 4 single handedly at NWAF by sitting in bushes. Rarely do groups get the element of surprise - they mostly just get ambushed.

I always play alone with 3 rules:

1. Always kill when you have the upper hand/element of surprise - Better to neutralize a potential threat ASAP.

2. Always run if there's even a slight risk that you can be killed - Never risk your life, unless the very presence of another player nearby (aware of you or not) is a bigger risk.

3. Never try to talk - 9/10 people with weapons will shoot in return, and I simply HATE dying.

Generally, I treat everyone I meet as a liability. Another player eats your food, drinks your water, takes your bullets, draws more attention - liability.

This attitude keeps me alive for great lengths, and I don't stray from high-pop servers.

I don't care about any interaction with other players, how fun it can be to administer a saline bag or whatnot. My goal is to just stay alive for as long as I can.

From time to time I enjoy camping in some of my unpredictable spots and snipe an oblivious guy or two. :) Yeah, I'm an ass. :)

Edited by retro19
  • Like 1

I always play alone with 3 rules:

1. Always kill when you have the upper hand/element of surprise - Better to neutralize a potential threat ASAP.

2. Always run if there's even a slight risk that you can be killed - Never risk your life, unless the very presence of another player nearby (aware of you or not) is a bigger risk.

3. Never try to talk - 9/10 people with weapons will shoot in return, and I simply HATE dying.

Generally, I treat everyone I meet as a liability. Another player eats your food, drinks your water, takes your bullets, draws more attention - liability.

This attitude keeps me alive for great lengths, and I don't stray from high-pop servers.

I don't care about any interaction with other players, how fun it can be to administer a saline bag or whatnot. My goal is to just stay alive for as long as I can.

From time to time I enjoy camping in some of my unpredictable spots and snipe an oblivious guy or two. :) Yeah, I'm an ass. :)

You remind me of Bill from The Last of Us. "There's only one thing a partner is good for: Getting you killed." 'nuff said.

Mr. FNX always yells when I try to approach other players.  :)

Edited by Sutinen

It's almost impossible to trust anyone you meet in DayZ, you need some friends you know to start playing and go around in a group.

It enhances the whole game.

For you, sure. I'm in my second week, and have started turning into Retro19. I enjoy being alone and the challenge of it. You really have to stay sharp- I let my guard down the other day for 3 seconds while I opened a beer and got killed. I'm learning to take control of encounters quickly- sometimes through words (mostly with fresh spawns) but usually with bullets (everyone else). I've learned to be very stealthy and patient. Lone Wolf really teaches patience. It takes me 3-4x as long to work my way through a city or airfield, but I get out alive. To me, that's an enhanced game experience.
  • Like 2

I always lonewolf. I tend to avoid cities except for when I'm a newspawn. I normally travel up the zelenegorsk route and hit the military north of pavlolo? However Out of the 7 players I've met: 4 have ignored me or said hello then left, one I killed in panick and the other two shot me. Plus one of those deaths was on release day.

I do find it gets boring that's why that now my last fully geared died, I'm going to not scavenge of the deserted towns and move to full population servers.