Sign in to follow this  
Duenan

Make DayZ more intense/more thoughtful

Give us guns....All types

but make ammo rare

If you want to solve all of the KOS and community problems, camping and everything in one fell swoop

Get rid of the ammo.

It should be incredibly rare and precious

In lieu of gun we should be able to use spears, throw rocks, and bows and arrows from the self craftable to modern bows that are in peoples houses but we need to craft the arrows.

Bows should behave like bow's meaning no sniper shots and the don't necessarily kill instantly but are more likely to cause broken bones or bleeding effects.

This will give people a chance to talk even if someone shoots on site while you're lying there bleeding the other person can choose to cuff you, leave you for dead, or heal you

This would DYNAMICALLY change the nature of DayZ to a true survival game if ammo was scarce and it would get rid of kiddie campers that get bored once they have the best rifle with 100 rounds and nothing to do.

Please bump this topic if you agree so Rocket and the devs can see it

Edited by Duenan
  • Like 15

I've thought about this myself. I was thinking that maybe there are too many guns (at least in the mod) and that maybe we should have more of a melee weapon focus. With guns that aren't too extreme, like pistols. Idk though, I'm not an expert. It was just an idea floating around in my head and I have no idea how it would balance out.

I don't know if I want the game to be entirely bow-dominated content, but having craftable and compound bows would be awesome (compound ones you find are obviously better quality). The hunting crossbow is confirmed, to say the least, but I'm not sure it will replace guns.

• Like 1

I should say not just bows, but single shot weapons. Or by default a pistol or rifle becomes single shot with only one bullet

The game should be more melee focused because 1st of all it takes place in Russia. Not america. Rural russia isnt armed to the teeth.

2nd of all the Zombie apocalypse already happened meaning most of the ammo would have been expended by civies, military and police. There are no more factories producing anything so what's there is there

There should be all sorts of melee usuable objects. Bows for ranged. The ability to throw things from lawn darts to spears to a baseball.

There should be weapons like a hockey stick, tennis racket, broom handle and a mop that you can use to what people over the head. Including golf clubs etc.

This focus would dramatically change the game in terms of the way it plays if we all did not have the latest m4 with tons of attachments and a backup pistol with 3 mags full. Zombies and other players would become a bigger threat and would need more planning to take down if you come across a group of people armed with hockey sticks, pool cues and a sword or something and 1 pistol with 2 rounds.

You could even up the damage rate for guns to make them a near surefire kill because in the course of scavenging for an hour you only found 2 bullets

I hope the devs see this

This won't work to end KOS, they'll just use bows so they can salvage the arrows, or they'll switch to melee <_<

Not if the bow is not an insta kill and has bow physics. remember bows do not fly straight. Further more the arma engine can add in things for wind resistance and direction so what seems like a perfect shot ends up missing slightly. Not to mention you could add in the fatigue of your character if he had been running all day then pulls a bowstring or perhaps he is starving and he can't pull the bow all the way back.

You could also add in different poundage bows so you could have 100lb bow but add in windspeed and direction along with a weak character that has no strength because he didnt eat/ is sick and you could hardly hit the broad side of a barn

• Like 1

Getting a bit ahead of ourselves aren't we?

I believe it's a cliche to say but this is only the alpha. What you suggest is quite sensible and I don't intend to criticise, but in all honesty it sounds like a balancing issue - which would be dealt with much, much further down the line. The game currently has (I think) 7 guns altogether and most use their own size of ammo, meaning that when spawn rate balancing is done near release (which could be as late as 2017, we don't know!) it should be easy enough to make scarcity a real problem. On the flipside there are already a swathe of genuine and makeshift melee weapons and I'm sure there are plans to add many, many more.

As for the single shot, given that you will need to find three elements to make your gun truly effective - magazines, guns and ammunition - I really don't see it as a problem once the loot issue is solves. Again, the problem lies with the current loot spawn mechanics and I'm certain that is somewhere on Bohemia's list.

• Like 1

Its a big dream but it does give the devs something to think about and work on.

I don't think its that unfeasable as the game is in alpha and this suggestion forum is for this purpose.

It's something they can think about or springboard off of in order to come up with other ideas. Obviously the game has core mechanics that need to be taken care of before they start thinking about this thing but I think Bow mechanics (as the physics are not at all like bullets) are a core mechanic that could/should be implemented.

That mechanic could then be used for all non bullet objects. i.e throwing knives, spears, rocks etc.

Won't fix KoS. 

People will KoS you with their last bullet because this is a game and there are no consequences except loss of time for losing and some people genuinely enjoy playing that way. They'll bite your throat out like a zombie if that's the only option available.

KoS will always and should always exist.

• Like 3

Scarce ammo wont reduce KOS in the slightest - It will just make them have to take a little bit more time to prep a firearm and encourages more brutal methods like beating people over the head with a wrench or lacerating their arteries with a hacksaw. I can tell you one thing, If I have to spend an hour scavenging an entire town for three rounds the only place they are going is into another player, and I'd happily spend another hour of my time scavenging up three more rounds to do the same thing while employing more gruesome tactics in the meantime.

The Ultimate KOS fix

If you want to solve all of the KOS and community problems, camping and everything in one fell swoop

And please stop acting like KOS is something that needs fixing or is a problem. KOS is a result of being given the freedom and tools to do as one sees fit, and what you are asking is to limit the freedom given to players. Just because many do not like KOS does not mean it isn't an integral part of the game. The thought of getting KOS as your sneaking around the corner or observing another player from a distance unsure of their intentions and having an internal moral dilemma about if you should approach or not is what instills paranoia and makes this game really shine.

Edited by Dethsupport
  • Like 2

I think bow and arrows are a good idea. However, they should be only part of the "crafting system". I would really love to pick up an axe, go to a dense forest and start logging trees to craft a bow and arrows, kill chickens for their feathers, and hack cattles for their hide which will used to string bows. I still wonder why they haven't fixed the knife-makes-gun-sound-issue.

Here's another idea. Give us weapons, lots of weapons, give us ammo, lots of ammo...but make them spawn everywhere. Let us be able to find a empty magazine on the street, an M4 on a house, an ammo stack in the church. The trick is to give us weapon that uses the same kind of ammo

Example:

MP5 - Glock 19 - UZI

FNX - M1911

M4 - M16 - G36

AK-47 - AKS

.38 revolver - Glock 25

And so on...so most of the ammo you find won't work for your gun and you'll have to look everywhere for it. Being force to change your weapon if the situation demands it

Getting back to the Bows, I always thought itd be easy to implement.
-knife to stick to make sharpened stick, sharpened stick to bird feathers to make arrow.
-Stick to animal tendon to make bow.

Sounds easy to me. Animations would be the only hard part, but then youd only need one for all the bows out there.

Jeez personally I don't have a problem with KOS. I was looking to heighten the tension without turning DayZ into call of duty. If you had only a few bullets you would have to plan how to use them. You could still go noob sniping if you want but if you run into an armed gang later you may be screwed.

I want people to have more thought before their actions to make everything more deliberate. Survival should always be a balancing act of weighing pro's an cons.

If I eat my food now I may not find more very soon.

If I kill this guy now I may run out of ammo when I get into a fight later.

This is what i'm talking about rather than blasting away to oblivion without a care because I know i can find more food/ammo whatever right away. That totally defeats the purpose of making a survival game.

If you want to PK  and have 1000 guns go play COD or BF3

That kind of stuff doesnt even make sense.

I think having rare ammo loot mixed with bows would heighten to the survival scenario as if you miscalculated- You'd Die.

In order for this game to be really successful and great. There needs to be constant tension, constant weighing of variables and constant swords of damoclese hanging over your head.

As it stands currently, if you want to avoid players just wander into the North and you can go on a full pop server and play all day and not see a single person and survive quite well looting houses and even get top gear with hardly any effort.

• Like 1

Yeah, lots of zombies all around and removing the ability to actually kill them... I don't know that I'd stick around to play a "run from zombies" game. Personally, I like the KoS. It adds challenge to the game far beyond any AI will ever. It really isn't that hard to avoid them. Just don't head into town without sweeping the perimeter. It is actually kind of funny walking the sniper spot and seeing the feet of the oblivious snipers hanging out of the trees.

I hate KoS as much as the next guy, but i doubt it's going to be easy to stop. Adding bows etc won't help it. They'll always be that one bambi 'bandit' on the coast shooting freshies :/

• Like 1

I hate KoS as much as the next guy, but i doubt it's going to be easy to stop. Adding bows etc won't help it. They'll always be that one bambi 'bandit' on the coast shooting freshies :/

And you're  telling me nailing people with a bow from 15 feet away behind a bush wouldn't be epic as hell as you watch them wonder wtf happened as they bleed out and you go and retrieve your arrow from thier soon to be lifeless corpse....

Then you whisper softly as they die shivering in pain

"Welcome to Chernarus"

Cmon! everybody wants to be rambo with the bow

Edited by Duenan
  • Like 2

To be honest its complete BS to help bambies, spend several days with a character, and do anything that has any point just to get killed by some fag who sucks so.much at CoD and battlefield he has to quickscope the apocolypse.

To be honest its complete BS to help bambies, spend several days with a character, and do anything that has any point just to get killed by some fag who sucks so.much at CoD and battlefield he has to quickscope the apocolypse.

I just have to ask. If you've spent several days with a character and they suck so bad... Why don't you just kill them?

If you want to eliminate KoS remove everything that can be used to kill eachother...or play Tetris. But even then would players try to kill eachother by dropping the blocks on top of their heads if it was possible.

yeah as usual totally miss the point- instead of randomly replying to the title of the thread with smartass comments why don't you read what it was about

I don't see how turning this game into medieval warfare is going to make the game better.

"Get rid of the ammo.

It should be incredibly rare and precious"

Edited by Covent
  • Like 1