MyPassword is Chickens20

Impossible to be "Friendly" in this game. Resorted to Banditry.

It's possible to be friendly. It's also possible to run into friendlies.

Granted it's not incredibly common, but it is still possible.

It's easy to get pissed off and want to rage when someone gets the drop on you. I've been there also. This game is pretty notorious for that kind of reaction, but it's those of us that can keep a cool head that stay friendly.

Being friendly doesn't mean never shooting and always approaching people. I know I've had to take out my fair share of aggressors. It's about being careful and standing your ground.

Sometimes it doesn't always work out that way. There have been other times where myself and someone else have randomly come across one another. I'll try to talk my way out of a situation, and sometimes it ends up working out. We'll exchange food and such and go about our ways. Other times it devolves into a firefight.

To me the 'friendly' playstyle is all about playing smart. It can be challenging and downright frustrating at times, but other times it can be fruitful and rewarding. Some of my best mates in-game are people I randomly encountered. We still play together to this day.

In the end it's up to you how you want to play. For me, I enjoy the 'friendly' route.

My few encounters have been generally friendly, aside from that one guy I picked off for funsies.  One guy I encountered outside of Elektro.  We had a brief close quarters standoff, both armed, and came to the conclusion that we were both friendly.  Guns out but lowered we made contact.  He asked if I needed any supplies, I told him I was good (he was very well geared, and I was relatively fresh with a magnum and 5 bullets).  He did, however, need directions.  I told him how to get there, and we parted ways with no shots fired.  Either of us could have easily offed the other one.  I had more to gain, but I don't like being cold blooded.

• Like 1

I already disagree with the thread title.

Anyone giving up being friendly is perhaps doing something wrong or could do something better? At least don't become part of the supposed problem, guys. As lone guy you'll always be at a disadvantage, KOS or friendly.

I roll with a group and being friendly / neutral was apparently never easier (for me / most of us).

Don't fret! There's still those friendly players out there! I can assure you that if you ever meet me, I won't attack unless you attack me.

I'd like to reference a couple of my own videos that show how I play friendly.

I won't clutter the post with giant videos, so I'll add a couple links that you can view at your own discretion.

The first one is a random encounter I had with someone in berezino. An example of myself being friendly.

The second one is a short collection of clips I recorded over this past weekend. Many 'friendly' players here.

[EDIT: whoops...it's posting the large videos anyway. I'll try to fix that.]

Edited by Rhodes

Looking inconspicious and dodging the hotspots helps a lot.  I was just on and some new guy decided to tak along with me, we picked up some bags and helmets along with gloves etc. and I gave him my spare knife.  Talking over comms we (foolishly) decided to head down into a more urban area (Berezino) as he was desperate for food etc, and all I had was a single can of beans. 

So, we reached the outskirts and met a guy with a gun (with me dressed like a construction worker with an axe and dayglo backpack and new buddy baseball cap and knife), so we hollered "Friendly..  We'll be going now.." whilst backing off and keeping weapons stashed only for his friend to turn up and demand our surrender. 

Descretion being the better part of valour, I yelled "Leg it!" and we hoofed it down hill, only for them to give chase and surround my buddy when i ducked behind some trees and hit the deck behind a wall. 

As they were both focussing on the newbie, I crawled back, then stood up and legged it non-stop to the shipwreck, as the crackle of gunfire rang out...

The old cyberpunk phrase came to mind, "Do unto others, then split..." ;)

A friend in this game is only someone who hasn't dicked you over yet or outlived their usefulness.  :lol: .  As the game develops then we'll see more and more social stratification and action, and hopefully if we can get bigger player numbers on each server (128 maybe?) then societies can build...

K.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of being a sociable friendly in this game, but the mechanics here are like EvE-Online Low-sec on steroids :);

K.

I've been shot, stabbed with the combat knife, bayonetted, axed, forced off a cliff and left with broken legs with a morphine auto-injector at the TOP of the cliff, Starved (perticularly unpleasent.) been fed disinfectant, had transfusions of found blood, even fed rotten food, shot, bandaged, shoveled, and then beaten to death with fists all in one go. Still friendly. Only ever shot one person and that was after he shot my partner and ran right up to loot his body not knowing i was there (talk about intese) It's a choice. and i do still hand out beans and water bottle to bambis in Kamyshovo 

To quote Kennedy "We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win."

EDIT: Looking back on it I did machete two people when one of them pointed an unloaded M4 at me the other day. Mea Culpa.

Edited by Snake_Doc

Like Franky would say. To get shoot on side you have to be in side

Edited by Fflint

Looking inconspicious and dodging the hotspots helps a lot.  I was just on and some new guy decided to tak along with me, we picked up some bags and helmets along with gloves etc. and I gave him my spare knife.  Talking over comms we (foolishly) decided to head down into a more urban area (Berezino) as he was desperate for food etc, and all I had was a single can of beans. 

So, we reached the outskirts and met a guy with a gun (with me dressed like a construction worker with an axe and dayglo backpack and new buddy baseball cap and knife), so we hollered "Friendly..  We'll be going now.." whilst backing off and keeping weapons stashed only for his friend to turn up and demand our surrender. 

Descretion being the better part of valour, I yelled "Leg it!" and we hoofed it down hill, only for them to give chase and surround my buddy when i ducked behind some trees and hit the deck behind a wall. 

As they were both focussing on the newbie, I crawled back, then stood up and legged it non-stop to the shipwreck, as the crackle of gunfire rang out...

The old cyberpunk phrase came to mind, "Do unto others, then split..." ;)

A friend in this game is only someone who hasn't dicked you over yet or outlived their usefulness.  :lol: .  As the game develops then we'll see more and more social stratification and action, and hopefully if we can get bigger player numbers on each server (128 maybe?) then societies can build...

K.

Wouldn't happen to have been on the Angels of death server would you? we had a bloke running around dressed like the contruction worker from the village people robbing guys on the coast.

Being friendly doesnt mean being stupid. You are most likely not taking appropriate precautions when dealing with players. You first assume they want to kill you, and have them prove otherwise. Not the other way around.

Wouldn't happen to have been on the Angels of death server would you? we had a bloke running around dressed like the contruction worker from the village people robbing guys on the coast.

Nope, fraid not, I have been held up at gunpoint a few times but not robbed anyone. 

Mind you, with my newly found m4, who knows....  Meh, I'm a crap shot so it'll make no odds.. :)

K.

I don't have no problem find friendly guys in dayz :)

for sure I find also unfriendly ones :|

but if I decide in my head to try to be friendly most times other guys doing same way

I meet one guy full gear I have SKS, he shoot on me but I say him 'hey man you want to stop violence one minute and maybe we talk, I know where is sniper we can do attack and share loots'

he say me 'sorry I was nervous, sure where is sniper bitch?' :thumbsup:  :)

and we make team, is many times similar happen for me, my dad say people react to you is depend on what you saying and more important HOW YOU SAYING. ;)

be confident be calm be funny and 90% of good guys react in positive ways

10% is dick guys so don't worry this, prepare to kill this bastards :thumbsup:  :D

• Like 2

When I first brought this game I had hopes of becoming a Friendly, Bandit killing machine much like youtubers such as FrankieOnPC. Soon after I came to the realization that unless your a recognized/famous Youtuber, Nobody is friendly. This game is just a slow paced, agitating Team death match.

I've come across and tried to help so many people and have been backstabbed/Set up near enough every time. Now I see myself becoming one of the very people ruining this game by shooting others on site for out of fear they're going to be the first to pull the trigger if I don't.

Heres a little story about what happened to me and my friend yesterday. - 

We was on a full server, and went up to the NE Airfield. As I approached the Traffic Control tower, I saw a guy coming down the stairs, Only being armed with a Mosin I pulled back to the Green building (Jail). He saw us and tried flanking around the back of the jail, I shouted friendly but saw him come round the corner with his M4 pulled. I quickly shot him with the mosin.

He spoke down the Mic and said "I wasnt going to shoot you, Can you revive me" I didnt believe him one bit but being the good guy I removed the ammo from his weapon, Injected him with Saline and Defibbed him. Also give him Morphine to fix his broken leg he somehow broke. Risking my own life being in the middle of the airfield helping a total stranger. I told him to run away and that he did.

Me and my friend got what we needed, Ran to the first houses across from the airfield to be fired upon, a few seconds later was laughed at down the headset by him and his friends as they looted our body.

This is why Im turning into a Bandit, Not helping anybody, Killing them on sight instead. 

Anybody had similar experiences?

Oh so many mistakes you made...

1. Scout out any and every area you plan on looting/checking for loot.  This means finding a nice spot to watch from cover.  You should watch for several minutes.

2. Your friend should have stayed in that spot on overwatch for you.  If you are in a group, atleast one of you NEEDS to be on overwatch.

This I would guess is what got you killed.  The other guy had a friend when he killed you!  Where do you think that friend was when you first saw him. 

3. Exfil away from other nearby settlements.  Take the time to circle around to the next place and repeat step 1

I live by these 3 rules and tend to have nice long lifes.

Even if no one in you group has a rifle, you still want someone in overwatch.  You just need to figure out a warning sign so s/he can let you know if others are approching.

Seriously dont turn koser just cus things didnt go your way. If you realy wanted to be friendly in the first place you would have stuck with it. You say you watch frankie. Ok well this time "realy" watch his vids.

Watch how he aproaches people and how he talks. You will see he alwasys comes from behind (they are not pointing a gun at him). This means they cant insta shoot cus if they turn around or run they die.

Always put yourself in the position to command the situation. Make sure they do not have a gun aimed at you. If they dont have a gun then keep your distance so they cant insta ko you. I have had many successful friendly situations because of this aproach.

You cant be friends with everyone, watch out and dont give up.

You've got a lot of positive response and good advices, keep trying everything aint lost yet.

Don't give up...being friendly is hard but the most interesting adventures are from meeting like minded people.

Sure it can get you killed a lot more but resorting to Easy mode isn't the solution.

• Like 2

man i've said this so many times on here, it's about the approach.  This game is like chess, your goal is to have the upper hand, if you don't have the upperhand then retreat and avoid contact.  It's constant damage control and error correcting.  Your first mistake is to want to help people, this is the wasteland people must help themselves.  Not shooting at them is all the help they need.  Secondly if someone who is armed knows you are there you only approach them as a last resort, the element of suprise is the biggest advantage in this game.  Even when unarmed talking to someone from an unknown vantage point is a huge psycological advantage.

Thirdly you must assume that everyone wants to kill you.  Incase of your story you patched that guy up and forgot about him, that is a fatal error.  You must assume that you are always a target, you should have kept eyes on him and not given him the advatage of suprise.  In terms of chess he kept your eyes focused on the left of the board while moving his queen up the right.

To sum up, don't help people unless they ask for help, always strive to have the upper hand when interacting with people if you don't have the upper hand then gtfo, and don't loose focus or control of the situation.  If you do this you can be friendly without dying.  Being 'friendly' (by this i mean not KOS'ing) is the hard path, it's like playing the game on insane difficulty.  If this is too much for you, then change to easy (be a crappy KOS'er).  But that means you lost and the 'bad guys' won.

Edited by GungZA
  • Like 3

Not impossible, more like 99.9% chance of being non-friendly. My 2 buddies and I were having a hardcore shootout with some other randos on sniper hill above Elektro and this random dude full decked out sneaks up behind my buddy and asks him what's going on/and if my friend is friendly. He could have easily taken my buddy out with one shot but he didn't. Too bad for him though, I came up behind him when he was voice chatting my buddy and I shot him in the head. We needed his mosin and long range scope.

People that KoS are just noobs to me. They don't know how to play the game in any other way and opt for the easy path.

People that KoS are just noobs to me. They don't know how to play the game in any other way and opt for the easy path.

No matter how much we despise them, KoS'ers do add an extra element to the game. They are there for our entertainment, when we plant a bullet in their skulls... Heheheh...

Please, explain to me, who made a decision that KoS = noobish? I think It's just a way of playing survival game, especially when zombies are dumb and harmless at all, you want to survive from what? I think that facing all kind of possible danger is a way how to play this game. Hunt > being hunted. Even the met guy doesn't shoot on sight, maybe he is charming you and your friend to the trap and maybe your whole group will die because you didn't KoS when you had a chance.

I don't always KoS freshsapawns, but they are sometimes pretty tricky and/or they have a fullgeared mate and in this case, you are walking equip for this guy :-) .I don't think that KoS Is noobish. Hovewer, I do not seek for freshspawns to kill somebody, I prefer to have a fair gunfight somewhere on airfield.

In my opinion, you're going to miss a lot of fun experiences then. I wrote about a month ago:

I’d like to make one thing clear: killing people isn’t satisfying. Walking up behind a player, who you don’t know is friendly or not, and shooting him in cold blood is not satisfying.

What gets your heart pumping (like, really, it’s an adrenaline rush) is being shot on. When you hear that first shot hit the grass by your feet your heart goes crazy, immediately. You’re wondering where they are, if they still can see you while you’re prone or running away. You take cover, but you have little or no idea whether they have a visual on you still. When you, even though they had the advantage, outsmart them and kill them, this is when a kill is satisfying.

If you kill people on sight, you will never experience this.

• Like 1

My opinion.......kos is the easy way. Doing good is always harder than not. U have to take the risk. Ive got about 100 hours on sa, and most people that ive been friendly twords have been friendly back. I had two guys hold me up when i was a freshy. I got shot and they healed me up and i spent the next two hours runing and looting w them. Another time i met four strangers, all fresh except one who was fully geared. One by one they tried to backstab him and he killed them all. Once it was just he and i, he gave me a loaded pistol and we rolled out all night. When u friend up, keep watching ure ass and ull b alright. U may die, but its just more fun to take a risk and possibly not be solo all night. Imo.

Its possible be friendly. In last 3 days my team met around 10 weak/non geared players. None of them attack us, we had quick chit-chat, eventually we give them food/drink. I know in team is a lot eaiser, less single players risking suprise attack but i don't think its impossbile. Mostly better skilled players stay friendly, KOS is just too easy. I am not saying alway you must be friendly, if someone is behaving suspiciously, just shot him/her.

Edited by TokumeiSennin