wejyoung

Building a house from scratch (like rust)

Hey zombie slayers,

I know in the DayZ mod that you could upgrade houses (like put barriers up, camo, etc) but if anyone has played rust, I think that this game would be so much better if you could build a house from scratch. Like placing foundation, walls, doors and all of that.

It's just a suggestion, please tell me what you think!

• Like 3

Don't get me wrong,i like rust building system.But truth is,for a game like DayZ it's a bit unrealistic.

Because,you just place wooden board on top of the other,without relying on phisics.This is just me,but what i would like to see,is a similar system to Wurm.

• Like 1

I think both should be possible.

We require a system that is flexible enough to make custom designed bases / fortifications. I want to be able to angle parts, vary shapes and sizes and use different materials with their own properties.

• Like 1

If it takes a more or less realistic amount of time ...why not.

Epoch us a bit fast and looks quite cheap. Origins seems to want some effort from the player.

Edited by Enforcer

base building will be added later, like 2 years.

base building will be added later, like 2 years.

No, because in 2 years, the game will be in full release. And that's not what he's asking. He's suggesting a form of base building, not asking when it's coming out. 

I like the idea but an issue I see is transporting the items needed for base building without a car or other vehicle. But I think this is a good idea as long as it is easy to understand. I can also see this lowering KOS rates as people want to keep items they gathered for their custom bases.

Base building will be released probably after cars. In time, this game will get a lot more exciting, very rapidly.

No, because in 2 years, the game will be in full release. And that's not what he's asking. He's suggesting a form of base building, not asking when it's coming out. 

ah, ok

Personally I don't want to see complete base customisation in the game. It's awesome, granted, but you wind up with cluttered/ugly landscapes and griefers making places inaccessible and the like, and the novelty gets old fast when the devs are actually having to implement countermeasures to hinder the creative potential the feature allows.

Set a certain number of possible extensions around a core base foundation, which you can have some of in one building but not all. Buildings come in stages; you unlock more floors/space for customisation as you go up in stages. Four or five stages, or just have a set number of buildings the player can make.

Making rust / epoch mod type constructing is ridiculous. Building structures that defy the laws of physics

are constantly being abused/exploited to create sky fortresses and frankly doesn't have a place in DayZ

• Like 2

""Building structures that defy the laws of physics are constantly being abused/exploited to create sky fortresses""

I agree with no sky fortresses. Set a max building height?

""Personally I don't want to see complete base customisation in the game.""

I will simply not settle for less. I agree TTP is prolly an issue considering the average mental age of players. Got any solutions?

My solution is limited customisation based on templates, what I did a short of in that last post. 

Basically, you have a number of template 'rooms' which can be added onto the core building; the building core has storage and sleeping space and nothing else. Additional rooms contain enhancements such as extra storage compartments, cooking utilities, basic workshop equipment and the like. External utilities such as wells could be built where no underground structures/improvements are present, within the build plot. Perhaps add in some purely decorative elements, but keep them small and limited to within the total size of a plot. The building can go up X number of levels, and down X number of levels (likely around 2-3). Underground space is limited to the total plot size, in order to prevent overlap when multiple bases are built in close proximity. The player unlocks progressively larger structures with more space to build as they complete their buildings, much like in Origins.

You still have a bit of room to screw around, basically, but you're limited to what is easy to fix. In the vanilla game, this is what I believe will be best for balance and preventing exploitation/map defacement. One look at Rust was enough to convince me it's something we don't want to see in the base game. Better it be left for the modders once the standalone's developed enough to warrant new variants.

I say you barricade a building, and add rooms and such as you go. Think epoch panthera.

My solution is limited customisation based on templates, what I did a short of in that last post. 

Basically, you have a number of template 'rooms' which can be added onto the core building; the building core has storage and sleeping space and nothing else. Additional rooms contain enhancements such as extra storage compartments, cooking utilities, basic workshop equipment and the like. External utilities such as wells could be built where no underground structures/improvements are present, within the build plot. Perhaps add in some purely decorative elements, but keep them small and limited to within the total size of a plot. The building can go up X number of levels, and down X number of levels (likely around 2-3). Underground space is limited to the total plot size, in order to prevent overlap when multiple bases are built in close proximity. The player unlocks progressively larger structures with more space to build as they complete their buildings, much like in Origins.

You still have a bit of room to screw around, basically, but you're limited to what is easy to fix. In the vanilla game, this is what I believe will be best for balance and preventing exploitation/map defacement. One look at Rust was enough to convince me it's something we don't want to see in the base game. Better it be left for the modders once the standalone's developed enough to warrant new variants.

Ok, here is what happened. I say "No cookie cutter bases". You say "Problem!". I ask "Solution?" You say "Cookie cutter bases."

I personally think that boarding windows and maybe reinforcing doors should be it. Would you honestly be renovating your house in the midst of the zombie apocalypse? I think not. Come to think of it, unless gardening (no thats not a suggestion!) is implemented building a fortress and staying there would be pretty stupid as local supplies would eventually run out. Why do you people want to change this game into minecraft?

Base building should be a core feature because it gives players something to focus effort on. It is 1 of very few useful constructive elements in a very destructive world.

"Why do you people want to change this game into minecraft?"

imo its more like ksp meets battleships forever.

Why did i read this as "Building a horse from scratch"... 

""Building structures that defy the laws of physics are constantly being abused/exploited to create sky fortresses""

I agree with no sky fortresses. Set a max building height?

""Personally I don't want to see complete base customisation in the game.""

I will simply not settle for less. I agree TTP is prolly an issue considering the average mental age of players. Got any solutions?

Why not a base build under the groudn? Like dig next to a tree for hiding it? 

But the problem is that we don't know if the engine could support that player modifiy the terrain.

But the problem is that we don't know if the engine could support that player modifiy the terrain.

Actually i think it would be the above ground bases that would be a strain on the server as underground bases dont need to be loaded unless entered.

I would be ok with building underground if necessary, but above ground has my preference. Also because id like to have a look around before i step outside.

Wurm (that game you saw the home-building videos) runs on Java.It uses practically ancient technollogy made by a small team with limited resources on the project.Do you think that Rocket and his team lack the recourses and the know-how to make it possible for the player to modify the terrain? The house building in that game was hard,the videos you saw was hours and hours of building fast-forwarded.Even if we don't get to modify the terain,the walls at least will have foundations based on that system,not just standing on air.

Ok, here is what happened. I say "No cookie cutter bases". You say "Problem!". I ask "Solution?" You say "Cookie cutter bases."

Because I see full customisation as being impossible to balance, and problematic for the future. Don't get me wrong, I love that sort of customisation as a general rule. I'd love to see it in one of the mod variants of the game. I've just seen a few similar issues to what I predict pop up from the addition of a creatively unlimited and usually unlimitable feature to a game/server, which in one case resulted in the community getting shitted off and abandoning ship. I don't want to see people flocking to mod variants of DayZ for balance. The mods are allowed to be unbalanced. The vanilla product should be as balanced as possible, even to the point of losing quality in a couple of features.

I say you barricade a building, and add rooms and such as you go. Think epoch panthera.

Yeah that's the most logical way. Kind if stupid imo to build a house from scratch in no time. It's not like we get pre made parts like of what a lot of US houses are made of..

Edited by Enforcer