Sign in to follow this  
hannibaldaplaya

Does feeling bad about killing players in DayZ make me a pussy or a morally sound individual?

THE POLL  

87 members have voted

1. 1. Does feeling bad about killing people in DayZ make me a...

• pussy
    • morally sound individual
    • a person who understands i may be ruining someone's day
    • its just a game so it don't matter
    • a mix of all of the above

Do you feel bad when you shoot someone in Battlefield? Do you feel bad when you kill someone in Dota 2? Do you feel bad when you kill someone in any other game, no, and you should not feel bad about it in this game either. It's a game.

Edited by Covent

So, yeah. Sometimes I feel bad about killing players when they're not doing anything wrong. Other times, I get a nice rush and some tense excitement from killing those who are being assholes (i.e sniping bandits at Kamyshovo who are murdering / mugging freshspawns.)

Do I need to grow some balls and realize this is a game or just not do anything about it? Is the fact the game giving me such a reaction a good thing? I think so, at least.

Why do you care about what anyone think of you?

I don't get why everyone assumes if you're wearing a helmet or decked in military gear you must be a bandit. I just don't get it. 

Why would I sacrifice my own safety FROM bandits, by not wearing the best protection available? Masks and stuff, sure, that looks a bit bandity, but a guy just running around in military kit with a ballistic helmet on? C'mon, he could be anyone. He could be a medic! (We need a lootable red cross armband. :P )

I think it is because military clothing gives good camouflage, bandits tend to use those. But watching streams it seems that everyone who plays in some sort of squad uses military clothing.

Personally I don't use military clothing cause I don't want to associated with bandits or anti-bandit squads.

On topic though. @OP. Now don't take this an accurate or in-depth psychological profile of you, if that's how it sounds. Just my instinctive thoughts when I read your post.

Well, since you're feeling bad about shooting people that haven't done anything wrong (at least from what you know) but you get a rush from shooting people that you think are assholes, I would say that you're feeling bad about killing those other people because it goes against some of your values - whatever they might be or rather perhaps that you don't know for sure that they're bandits. If you think that discarding your own set of rules and values or morals if you will - is the same as 'growing a pair' then I'm quite glad I wasn't born with the problem of having to try and act like a man. But at the end of the day, yes it's only a game - but it seems to me that you think that people in-game should be judged by their actions (since you don't feel bad about killing bandits) and treat other people the way you want to be treated.

Do you feel bad when you shoot someone in Battlefield? Do you feel bad when you kill someone in Dota 2? Do you feel bad when you kill someone in any other game, no, and you should not feel bad about it in this game either. It's a game.

Straw-man argument. Neither of those games have permadeath, so your comparison is invalid. DayZ is a roguelike game which means you do not just respawn with your pre-death loadout in 5 seconds (BF4).

• Like 1

I feel bad at times...

I'm normally inland so allot of the players I come across are well to fully geared, and while I don't shoot everyone I see. When I do pull the trigger I know I'm sending them back to the shore losing all their hard earned things(well unless they are sever hoppers), but yeah. Sometimes I do... >.>

Don't tell the other bandits though, They'll toss me from the club =(

Edited by Kaw

It doesn't say anything except that you care about another player's experience, and that you'd hate being killed the same way yourself. Its a video game and morality as nothing to do with it.

Is it a bad thing to feel bad? No, it just means you view another player's experience as something tangible. It doesn't make you a "pussy" either because, like above, its a video game. Anyone that says otherwise is probably a dumb ass that never grew up and carries that kind of schoolyard nonsense in their mental baggage as a defense mechanism. (Or they are indeed still going through that phase. Then we can only hope they outgrow it and the world will be a better place for it.)

I have never killed anyone that hasn't tried to kill me first. In the mindset of the world of DayZ, it was self defense and my character would have died otherwise so I feel no guilt.

Edited by Hells High

Depends who you kill and where, I've killed on the airfields, some didn't know it was coming, they didn't do anything to deserve it (except the server hoppers) I did question if I'd made the right choice, but the fact of the matter is it's done I can't take it back.  I did feel bad about doing it, but then with the amount that I've been KoS'd in the area I knew there was a good chance they'd do the same.

I like that you feel bad about it, I think it's a good thing, but don't let that cause you to hesitate when a situation demands action, or you'll be on the coast again.

I feel every death of a player i KNOW has either low gear or a lesser player. Now on bandit sweeps i have no pity or sympathy. But those bambis and noobs that assume everyone is KOS'r every time i have to put one down i feel like i failed. Why i purposefully don't wear masks or helmts (just a black berret and sun glasses) and always attempt to communicate first. Spend most of my time on east coast giving out food/water and advice to those i run into. So those deaths always feel to me like i failed to communicate correctly or i made some random threatening move to them. SO if you see {CQF} FTA on the server you are on and run into a guy with a military gear except a black berret and raybans... If i hail you im just trying to help you out. But played much longer then you and will probably will end you if you try anything. Also im rarely alone so just be aware shooting me leads to about 6 other players around you now consider you hostile and will drop you.

Firstly I'll be on the lookout for you, I play on your server from time to time and ran into you guys before without an casualties on eiether side, traded a bit and went out own ways

Besides even if I were a bandit, I'd know better than to mess with the CQF

On topic

No it doesn't make you a pussy, I've been playing almost 2 years since the mod came out and there been times where we've shot people and I felt bad

Like when we come across someone and they don't respond or keep hanging around we warn them off and they just refuse to listen when we tell them to stop following us

We can't tell if they don't understand English or they are hoping to knock one of us out and take our stuff so I still feel guilt for killing these people as they could have just been a newbie that couldn't work out how to talk

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

I feel every death of a player i KNOW has either low gear or a lesser player. Now on bandit sweeps i have no pity or sympathy. But those bambis and noobs that assume everyone is KOS'r every time i have to put one down i feel like i failed. Why i purposefully don't wear masks or helmts (just a black berret and sun glasses) and always attempt to communicate first. Spend most of my time on east coast giving out food/water and advice to those i run into. So those deaths always feel to me like i failed to communicate correctly or i made some random threatening move to them.

SO if you see {CQF} FTA on the server you are on and run into a guy with a military gear except a black berret and raybans... If i hail you im just trying to help you out. But played much longer then you and will probably will end you if you try anything. Also im rarely alone so just be aware shooting me leads to about 6 other players around you now consider you hostile and will drop you.

Still waitin for you sissies to come play hardcore, but your clan knows their tactics won't work there because they can't corner peek round every turn :D

Edited by DeatHTaX

I got this feeling too because i experimented many times and feels bad because at some point you think you loose a complete hour or hours. this could be a "game" but a lot of people dont think in the fact that killing someone in this specific "game" makes the other person feel bad and loose like 3 2 whatever hours of playing, in dota you kill someone but both sides of the game are getting a good time when its a great match, i love this game because makes me feel a lot of different kind of feels like fear most of the time, or happy when found amazing things like weapons  but i feel KoS its broken because isnt really the point of the game, maybe because the game its in alpha but i think they need to make the PVE stronger so you need to think about killing someone that could help you to "survive" against zombies, other groups, diseases, weather etc. At this moment you can survive alone very easy, zombies arent a thread, you can find food very easy and water too and if you cant find food doesnt matter because dying for starving takes a long time. so you stop and think, what the hell im supposed to do?? i have everything to "survive" zombies are super dumb and easy, the only easy way to get fun its hunting people or something like that because the game its very easy to survive vs the enviroment and there is no other  "special things" to do like build a base or repair a car or gather resources to eat. in the game im just like collecting things and spying other players because i dont like to KoS and i really feel the games need a PVE really more hardcore.  sorry for bad english 

Still waitin for you sissies to come play hardcore, but your clan knows their tactics won't work there because they can't corner peek round every turn :D

Don't think I didn't see you on the regular server at the Cherno journo peace walk

My group were the ones that put you down

We were running the security for the friendlies with some other guys

From where you were in the building you would have had to have looked in 3rd person

If I remember from my recording your words were "the name is death tax , die mother fuckers woooo"

Followed by spray and pray m4 shots

How do I know it was you? Because the aww full laughing shut up after we killed everyone in that house

You came back to your body pretty quick and one of the guys axed you on the stairs

And yes there will be a video up but I'm waiting for the Cherno journo to upload his version first as it's his walk

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

So, yeah. Sometimes I feel bad about killing players when they're not doing anything wrong. Other times, I get a nice rush and some tense excitement from killing those who are being assholes (i.e sniping bandits at Kamyshovo who are murdering / mugging freshspawns.)

Do I need to grow some balls and realize this is a game or just not do anything about it? Is the fact the game giving me such a reaction a good thing? I think so, at least.

Almost everyone in this game is a KOS player.  There's no way to reduce it short of having a visible humanity system.

Welcome to the KOS Deathmatch Permadeath Standalone.

Shoot everyone you see until something changes.

Almost everyone in this game is a KOS player.  There's no way to reduce it short of having a visible humanity system.

Welcome to the KOS Deathmatch Permadeath Standalone.

Shoot everyone you see until something changes.

Did everyone go round holding hands in the mod?

it's been well established in your god awful thread that a humanity system is not wanted, needed and flawed beyond believe.

• Like 1

Please ignore every sociopath who has called you derogatory names. They have their own path to travel.

Don't be simple.

Little twatty-squeak teens who seek instant gratification and a fleeting rush of masculinity are hardly, if at all, sociopaths.

Not all sociopaths are so uncouth. The most dangerous among us blend in perfectly.

• Like 1

Mope, I try to avoid killing people because I understand I may be ruining someones day, so I shoot people unconscious then take their gear because I dont feel bad about it afterwards.

Actually got a large group that plays Hardcore and i do also.... Most of our group OPS are on Regular because thats were the true newplayers are, and saving them is our objective.

Also killing me does nothing i can usually get re-geared in 15-20 minutes and regearing is the funnest part of the game for me.

Edited by Fear The Amish

Let's be honest here, if you still feel sorry for shooting people. Then you simply haven't been playing enough shooters. Over the years any gamer that partakes in violent games slowely gets complacent with the fact that people die in games. The emotionally responsiveness towards those actions slowely gets numbed down, until you're a stonecold killer.

It's the acceptance that while it is an unbearable act in real life, games are simply not real.

Let's be honest here, if you still feel sorry for shooting people. Then you simply haven't been playing enough shooters. Over the years any gamer that partakes in violent games slowely gets complacent with the fact that people die in games. The emotionally responsiveness towards those actions slowely gets numbed down, until you're a stonecold killer.

It's the acceptance that while it is an unbearable act in real life, games are simply not real.

Been playing shooters since wolfenstien 3d and yet to play a perma death FPS. So if you know of any let me know and ill have something to compare too. Also played Haven and Hearth and Salem and felt the same way about those (perma death games).

Well I kill on sights, at that goes for everyone with as much as baseball bat if you get to close. I might spare a newbie if he does not do something stupid. 

Two days ago I was looting balota, near the barracks I ran into a guy, seemed to be nicely geared but no gun. I had my SKS ready to fire. We both stopped he moved bit to the side, and we stared at each other for few seconds, than I saw him reaching for weapon, at first I though he's going for his axe, but no he had an M4 which I couldn't see because of big backpack. Long story short, I fired one shot before he got his gun out and he was knocked down, than he started to get up. Next shot and he's dead. 

So if I ran into you and you have any sort of fire arm I will kill you the second I see you. I'm not taking any chances I died to many times because I hesitated. 

If you have a melee weapon I might not shoot you straight up but one wrong move and you're full of lead. If you're a newbie and I'm not on a sniping mission, you keep your distance and you'll live.  

Edited by General Zod

In real life, you wouldn't be able to callously murder people more than a few times before going insane, unless you're a sociopath or something. The only time I've ever killed someone was out of fear mainly, not to take his stuff. 

In real life, you wouldn't be able to callously murder people more than a few times before going insane, unless you're a sociopath or something. The only time I've ever killed someone was out of fear mainly, not to take his stuff. 

***Above murder was in dayz, not real life***

Edited by Burnham113