rickyriot

Should NV/IR be implemented?

Night Vision and Infra Red (heat source) implementation?  

153 members have voted

1. 1. Should any form of NV/IR be implemented, either through goggles or gun sights?

• Yes. These things are in real life, so they should be.
    • No. They provide too great an advantage.

Didnt read the WoT but we already know they will be in, albeit a rare item it should be.

Nightvision is one reason why I never played at night. Give it a .001 spawn rate and I would be fine. I just find it so ridiculous, you cannot see them EVER if you dont have nightvision, but they can see you. I am tired of everyone being a seal team 6 leader right now, but that will change as the game evolves. 

More civilian weapons, more common,

Very rare mili gear, will solve everything.

Military gear of ANY kind should be rare.

How much of the mod did you play? I am not trying to give the "I'm more experienced than you, so my opinion counts more" argument, not at all, merely just wondering how many times you played the mod which had NV/IR implemented and if so did you frequent servers running a full day/night cycle. The reason I ask is that from my experience, and that goes back almost 2 years, people don't frequent night cycle servers specifically because it is populated by those who are equipped with NV/IR. It's from that viewpoint that I make my argument that adding them will have a detrimental effect and in fact reduce the likeliness of people playing night cycle servers, creating mini fiefdoms ruled by those with NV/IR.

With that in mind I feel your argument is incorrect.

Hi.

I played the mod, and mods of the mod quite a bit. RV engine games have basically been the only action games I spent much time playing since late 2001/early 2002, so yes, I have some experience here.

I have always liked playing in the night, even while I don't have NVG's. It just makes you that much more excited when you finally find a set. I understand they are OP, but imho that doesn't cause a problem in a game like DayZ, where there is no sense of balance.

In my experience the people who say they won't play in the dark because of NVG's wouldn't play in the dark anyhow. If you don't believe me just take a look at the server list. The majority are crappy 24/7 daytime servers, and generally the only ones that have ANY kind of population are most definitely not at night.

Though to be honest, my server assessment is on lower ping close to home servers, For me to play on a hardcore night server I usually have to play higher ping servers. It kind of saddens me really, as I have always preferred the night.

Regards.

I agree with Eddy the Eagle !

But would add fix gamma exploit first

Edited by BL1P

In my opinion, and in fact in my experience, NV/IR has the opposite affect. On mod servers if you were to join a server at night the majority of people on there are already equipped with them and if you don't find them in daytime you don't bother going on at night.

In fact I feel the only way to genuinely get people playing the game at night, is to balance the gameplay and for me having them implemented doesn't do that in the slightest.

That is easily solved by only allowing NVG to spawn during night time(and perhaps disappearing again during day). In order to encourage night time play, we need incentives specifically catered to that time of day. Of course they need to implement some kind of persistent daytime system to facilitate servers that like to restart before it can become night time. As far as I know, regular servers will be able to set irregular daytime cycles where the night is drastically shorter than day. Where as hardcore servers will remain using the normal 24 hour cycle.

If everyone is equiped with them, then it is obvious they were too easy to find in the mod. Something that can be easily changed, especially considering the way the standalone is going to work versus the mod in terms of a globalized loot system. Let's not forget that this is a new game now, and is going to branch off quite a bit from the mod in the future.

Edited by Ghostflux

i say yes, add both, but just like RL..

IRNV goggles dont have have super high resolution, or at least last time i wore one IRL..

same goes for the thermal optics, since bodies radiate heat, the thing you see is a bit blurred out.. Also giving zombies heat signatures would be nice, so its hard to see if its a player or a zombie (slightly blurry player or zombie)

about being OP/balance... i cant imagine how many fresh spawns with an axe/wrench have been KOS sniped by a mosin with long range optics..

Edited by mosibfu

I voted yes to NVGs, but it has little to do with realism and everything to do with wanting NVGs in the game..

Zombie apocalypse or or military sim?  Are people really having a hard time figuring out what type of game this is? No for my vote

I don't want to be stating the obvious but the level of light at night is based on cloud cover and the moon. In the mod you ended up having the darkest times between sunset and moonrise at night and moonset and sunrise in the morning. In the middle of the night and with no cloud cover and a moon high in the sky you had a pretty decent level of visibility - not IR/NV of course, but definitely enough to deal with localised navigation and combat.

I do agree that the gamma issue needs looked at though. I'm not going to call it a "cheat" as it's too emotive a term, but I do think the levels of gamma available should be reduced. Especially as we now have torches.

When you reply me this, I had to read back your post. There is this "shouldn't be implemented" and not "should" as I thought. If that the case than I guess we could use the night environment to navigate the darkness. I just remember that the last night server I was in, it was raining heavily and there was a cloud cover. If people want realism than this is as good as you can get.

p/s: there is a moon? I haven't seen one yet.

yes it should be implemented.

because for the same reason you could remove firearms from the game.

guy with nvg + firearm > guy with firearm > guy without firearm

but also a guy with nvg and only a melee weapon may be able to kill a guy who has a firearm during nighttime more easily.

that is actually some balancing...

Here is a thought. Instead of making NVG's. Make a camcorder or digital camera have a NV option, it must be in hands, and a little screen to the side of it shows what you're looking at lit up in NV.

This way we can still have NV, but it's of very limited use, and can't be really used in a fire-fight.

Alla the horror game outlast.

No.

In case of NV, it requires anyone that wishes to play at night (without even more of a death wish than usual) to have this item.

IR is even worse as it also "ruins" (by that i mean you might as well make me carry a red 100m tall pole with a nice flag which states; Shoot Me Now Please, Im A Noob Cause I Haz No IR And Start Every Word In This Motto With A Capital Letter.)  daytime play for anyone not in possession of this item.

Edited by mgc

When you reply me this, I had to read back your post. There is this "shouldn't be implemented" and not "should" as I thought. If that the case than I guess we could use the night environment to navigate the darkness. I just remember that the last night server I was in, it was raining heavily and there was a cloud cover. If people want realism than this is as good as you can get.

p/s: there is a moon? I haven't seen one yet.

Yeah there is a moon, and not only a moon but stars too. In fact it's actually easier to navigate around Chernarus at night than it is during the day as you can use the stars just like sailors used to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqelc7x70vQ

I am not sure whether the latitude of the star layout is based on the geographical location of the server (in the same way the timezone can) but I believe it's always based on the Northern hemisphere. Sorry Aussies, Newzies and South Africans, no Southern Cross only a Pole Star.

• Like 4

Here is a thought. Instead of making NVG's. Make a camcorder or digital camera have a NV option, it must be in hands, and a little screen to the side of it shows what you're looking at lit up in NV.

This way we can still have NV, but it's of very limited use, and can't be really used in a fire-fight.

Alla the horror game outlast.

Decent enough idea as it stops players just running about in the dark with NV on permanently.

As a perennial (ab)user of NVGs in the mod, I do not think they should make a return.

I've got a feeling you were one of those who did run around in the dark with NV on permanently.. ;)

To address both points quoted, I like the idea of NV and IR in the game. It's realistic and with modern technology you don't need to be military or have a lot of money in order to own both of these things. However that doesn't stop me feeling they provide just too great an advantage over those who don't have it and this comes from experience playing the mod where they were not difficult to get hold of.

I have no problem with an extremely rare set of NVG. In the mod the NVG were unrealistic(ly) bright. Most modern NVG's of the single optic variety limit your peripherals (Not a problem with 3PP -_-)

Like the ace mod, NVG should have a tog-gable brightness. But limit how bright it can go. The way normal night vision works if it's to bright, you won't see shit in the dark, and if it's not bright enough you'll see very little.

(I want NVG's for the day time.... at the right brightness it allows the user to greatly enhance their ability to see muzzle flash.) 

They need more tradeoffs for the benefits it provides.

Edited by Daemonkid

Make it only possible to see with the NV in First person view ? that could be a beginning.. 

Edited by SuperMarco
  • Like 2

I don't think NVG's should be as rare as everyone thinks. More people would play on night time if NVG's weren't so rare. Of course they do need to be rare. But not SUPER rare like everyone is saying. Night time still has some optimization anyway. I reckon there should be a 1 or 2 hour cycle between night and day anyway. That way people would HAVE to play in the night.

• Like 1

I need the flares back.. easier to play by night and so much cooler to scare the shit out of other players ^^

• Like 1

More people would play on night time if NVG's weren't so rare. 

Couldn't disagree more. All that does is pander to people who actually don't want to play night but will because they can use NV to make it more like daytime.

• Like 1

I don't think NVG's should be as rare as everyone thinks. More people would play on night time if NVG's weren't so rare. Of course they do need to be rare. But not SUPER rare like everyone is saying. Night time still has some optimization anyway. I reckon there should be a 1 or 2 hour cycle between night and day anyway. That way people would HAVE to play in the night.

Should be other more limited choices. Like the Camcorder idea I posted earlier. But once we get flares and chem lights again, it won't be so bad.

The best way to counter people in the mod with NVG was regular old flares.

I need the flares back.. easier to play by night and so much cooler to scare the shit out of other players ^^

Flares were brilliant. Let's be honest when we all first played the mod at night and made our way into a town which has a flare burning away in one the streets it was spooky as fuck. You know someone is there as the flare is there, but are they still there? Are they using the flare because they want to see something? Is it a honey trap? Then you add in the zombies which are drawn to them like magnets.

I can't wait to see what flares will look like with the new light rendering.

• Like 1