Sign in to follow this  
infiltrator

Will there ever be a way to walk (more) silently?

While I agree that footsteps of running and sprinting should defninitely be audible, I am not sure if walking should have a wide audible radius. There needs to be a way to move silently, even if its be snail-mode.. 

• Like 7

*Shrug*

I do know that sounds in general is being worked on by an external studio (Benefits of MASSIVE sales on alpha).

So... Maybe?

Man i hope so. You can be crawling through town and a zombie can see you a mile a way sometimes lol.

the only way to move in complete silence is barrel rolling while prone, and this even is a bug I belive.

PS.

In the mod there was a way to cheat your way to walk silently.

You had to gently tap W and your character would move, without making sound. You just had to push it quick in right moment before sound step played and you moved silently. Will test it later in the standalone.

Edited by Frosti

*Shrug*

I do know that sounds in general is being worked on by an external studio (Benefits of MASSIVE sales on alpha).

So... Maybe?

Well they are taking their fucking time with it too, damn.

I believe it will be altered, as will a shit ton of other sounds in the game. I doubt it will be done for a while though considering their still adding a lot of new items and gear that will affect how much noise you make. 

Im pretty sure I heard in an interview or dev blog somewhere, that the sound you make and it's volume will depend on the shoes your wearing, what condition they're in, how heavy your gear is, what surface your travelling over, and how quickly. I imagine the best movement for being quite and sneaky is crouched with weapon raised.

I believe it will be altered, as will a shit ton of other sounds in the game. I doubt it will be done for a while though considering their still adding a lot of new items and gear that will affect how much noise you make. 

Im pretty sure I heard in an interview or dev blog somewhere, that the sound you make and it's volume will depend on the shoes your wearing, what condition they're in, how heavy your gear is, what surface your travelling over, and how quickly. I imagine the best movement for being quite and sneaky is crouched with weapon raised.

Then the most silently you should be barefoot eh?

Everyone gonna take off their shoes for sneaking time.

• Like 1

Then the most silently you should be barefoot eh?

Everyone gonna take off their shoes for sneaking time.

It would be yeh. But then again when the stamina and health system with the full range of diseases gets implemented, there would be a whole load of negatives to going barefoot. 

Crouch and walk in forest underbrush makes quite a impressive *crunchy* approach. Grass no so much.

Rolling over with mountain backbacks... hell, anything other than a courier bag... makes me chuckle.

Hope the sound to be ultra good to match the visuals ( on max settings that is ! ).

• Like 2

Silent walk "cheat" from mod do not work in standalone :(

Unless the latest patches just fixed it you can.

It's just alot harder to do.

Doing it while strafing (using "A" or "D" instead of "W") works a lot easier IMO.

well, there are more important things to work out.

• Like 1

well, there are more important things to work out.

How big of an attention span do you have? It's outsourced, genius.

I've got no scientific proof of this, but I have slow walked around buildings and guys on other floors haven't heard me in comparison to walking normally.

The one that really freaks me out is the tiled floor in one of the town buildings that will tend to have shelves and washing machines in it, the footsteps sound ridiculously loud in comparison even when slow walking.

In general I always thought the intention was to have the sound generated based on the surface, the speed but also the footwear however I think that only really comes into play once they have redone the sound system, which I think is some way off yet. It would leave it open to the nice idea of taking off your shoes in order to creep around inside buildings but then needing to put them back on in order to run about on the road (if not then a detrimental effect of either pain/stamina or speed).

Huh? 

I was crouched behind zombies last night, sneaking within a few feet of them without being discovered? My footsteps were still loud, but they didn't even notice me? I just figured they were still working on the sounds. 

Huh? 

I was crouched behind zombies last night, sneaking within a few feet of them without being discovered? My footsteps were still loud, but they didn't even notice me? I just figured they were still working on the sounds.

Sorry for stating the obvious here but if it was the night time they won't be able to see you. I walked past zombies at night with needing to sneak at all.

use the jump button (v)  there is no sound from that.

• Like 2

Wow. The impatience of all the kids here. The games in fucking alpha. Give them some fucking time. You've only been playing for like 2 months... THE GAME WILL BE READY WHEN IT'S READY.

I guess it all depends on the terrain and footwear.  We're not ninja's and some of the buildings echo really loud because they are all concrete.

Currently the ambient sounds tend to drown out all but the loudest running on concrete. Unless they change that Im not sure the footsteps need to be softer. I would just wait and see what kind of foot gear gets added.

The one that really freaks me out is the tiled floor in one of the town buildings that will tend to have shelves and washing machines in it, the footsteps sound ridiculously loud in comparison even when slow walking.

This.

First time I had this happen (Though I think it was in a different building, I'd gone upstairs)

Resulted in me freaking out, watching the stairs calling out " Who's there? I'm friendly! Come on Guys I know your there!" For a few minutes lol

• Like 1

...I wear my boots all the time, am just as sneaky in them as I am in shoes, or barefoot for that matter. The condition and style matter almost null, it's all about speed. For gameplay sake I could see style, but condition not so much...beat up worn in foorwear is always less squeaky.

Edited by xRann

Wow. The impatience of all the kids here. The games in fucking alpha. Give them some fucking time. You've only been playing for like 2 months... THE GAME WILL BE READY WHEN IT'S READY.

Wow. The inability to read of all the kids here. It has been said several times by now that the sound is outsourced. BETTER READ NEXT TIME.

• Like 1