alleycat

Is there anything being planned that incentivizes not shooting on sight?

Something to help against KoS? Everything gets instantly ruined simple as that. If no one can pick anything off of you, they'd have to waste resources to kill you. So since they cannot make anything off of you, they'd have to consider if using the shot(s) are worth it.

You just dont get it.

You could make it where one single bullet will make every single piece of loot on the server explode and despawn AND kill me at the same time... I WILL STILL DO IT!!!

Edit: Infact... your suggestion, and even my over-the-top scenario... MAKES ME WANNA DO IT EVEN MORE!!!

Edited by Wheunis
  • Like 1

This.

A billion times over.

You need to get this into your heads.

The sooner you do, and learn to live with it, the better your play is going to be.

I really mean it when I say, that as long as a weapon or method exists that can kill you - WE WILL USE IT. ENDLESSLY.

Even if you make my character explode into a billion pieces every time I do a single point of damage to another character... I WILL STILL DO IT!!!

Oh agreed, but that doesn't mean that the game doesn't need some balance in this regard.  Currently its a PvP game, what it needs to transition into is a zombie apocalypse survival game with PvP elements.

Something to help against KoS? Everything gets instantly ruined simple as that. If no one can pick anything off of you, they'd have to waste resources to kill you. So since they cannot make anything off of you, they'd have to consider if using the shot(s) are worth it.

So if someone wings you, you don't mind all of your gear being ruined.

Hmm, interesting.

I dont bother looting dead bodies, just hide em or leave them there as bait. I dont need your loot I know where to get my own.

• Like 1

I think social dynamics will get better when the game is closer to completion and there are more risks to manage, as well as more benefits associated with playing as a group. If the environment becomes a real threat with multiplicative risks and dangers that you are always at odds against? At some point, when the game world is out to devour you, the KoSing will likely get a little better. It will always be around though, and it always should. The spirit of the game is human interaction and never knowing who to trust.

For now there is no environment to speak of. DayZ, in it's current state? It demands blood. There is nothing to turn our guns on but each other. If you don't wish to be killed on sight then don't put yourself at risk. If you want to survive other players and have any sort of meaningful communication then you have to do it on your own terms. Set yourself some personalized rules of engagement and follow them. Never make contact unless you have the advantage or an escape route.

Safe zones? Nametags? Things like this are ridiculous notions that are simply too direct and not particularly immersive at all.

Edited by Rudette
  • Like 1

Personally, if I catch someone off guard, I tell them to put their weapon away and hands up. If they comply, it's fine, I keep my sights on them and back off. If they fail to comply, I gun'em. Banditary? Not at all, I'd have given clear commands and if they wish to try and pull a fast one, well, I won't let them.

Also, while a bit of a 'grey area' if I find people camping at the top of buildings with guns in the middle of a city, I run a few bullets by them. Did it to two folks in Elektro a few days ago, they ran off and combat-logged inside. Which was actually the best thing, so now they won't kill others out of anger or loot and they knew that going there may lead to a lesser-kind soul actually nailing them.

Still wont help. People with one bullet and no way of getting another bullet will still shoot at other players.. Lets me honest.. the people who kos dont normally loot the body anyways.

*edit* Just noticed this in the thread and it explains what I was saying.

I dont bother looting dead bodies, just hide em or leave them there as bait. I dont need your loot I know where to get my own.

The game will never be a simulation of a zombie situation as it is a game and has no real consequence. It is pretty much a pvp rage game. F*** I only play because I like to make bandits rage when i kill them.
Edited by Mopa

Everything gets instantly ruined simple as that. If no one can pick anything off of you, they'd have to waste resources to kill you. So since they cannot make anything off of you, they'd have to consider if using the shot(s) are worth it.

I hate you. I... Just hate you. Currently they're fixing so that if you shoot a bag, ALL of the contents won't be set to ruined. You DO know that ruined stuff such as food and equipment can't be used as of the current build right?

If you read what Rocket has said, he never intended this game to be solely a PvP death match. They are actively working on features to encourage (key word - not force) more cooperation. 

Personally, I think it should be very difficult (not impossible) to survive completely on your own once there are more zombies and the AI is improved. 

We just need to be patient. I can guarantee you the game as it now exists does not represent Rocket's vision and the final game will be much different. 

• Like 1

You just dont get it.

You could make it where one single bullet will make every single piece of loot on the server explode and despawn AND kill me at the same time... I WILL STILL DO IT!!!

Edit: Infact... your suggestion, and even my over-the-top scenario... MAKES ME WANNA DO IT EVEN MORE!!!

So you're a toxic thing to the community that just gains satisfaction from the loss of others? You're the type that ought to be publicly hung with boat rope and the tree branch as your gravestone. But at least it does make me all the more happy when I do kill off a few bandits here and there that one day, it could be you.

Still wont help. People with one bullet and no way of getting another bullet will still shoot at other players.. Lets me honest.. the people who kos dont normally loot the body anyways.

*edit* Just noticed this in the thread and it explains what I was saying.

The game will never be a simulation of a zombie situation as it is a game and has no real consequence. It is pretty much a pvp rage game. F*** I only play because I like to make bandits rage when i kill them.

Then I can't quite get around to thinking why, is there satisfaction in just making someone re-gear in about 2-3~hours depending on what they want?

I hate you. I... Just hate you. Currently they're fixing so that if you shoot a bag, ALL of the contents won't be set to ruined. You DO know that ruined stuff such as food and equipment can't be used as of the current build right?

This is different, I'm not saying that upon being shot your stuff gets ruined but upon death big difference bud.

I kinda think this game will be a sandbox style game, with many options for stuff to do. When there is no law, the lawless will do as they please. The tension right now and the fight or flee feelings i get during player encounters gives me a huge boner. The fact I can die at ANY time is priceless. Kids never like permadeath anyway, so they will bail eventually, and the adults can play.

• Like 2

So you're a toxic thing to the community that just gains satisfaction from the loss of others? You're the type that ought to be publicly hung with boat rope and the tree branch as your gravestone. But at least it does make me all the more happy when I do kill off a few bandits here and there that one day, it could be you.

Then I can't quite get around to thinking why, is there satisfaction in just making someone re-gear in about 2-3~hours depending on what they want?

This is different, I'm not saying that upon being shot your stuff gets ruined but upon death big difference bud.

Apparently you missed the post earlier where I said I am only advocating the mindset.

That said... my playstyle?

I avoid playercontact at all costs.

ALL COSTS.

I do not go to airfields if i see that there are no Zeds (LRS i love you).

I stay away from places where I know players gravitate to.

But beware your soul.

If you EVER come into my crosshairs... your life is over, or mine is.

Pick one...

Hey, Yea sadly there is to most players.. I think it is boring and douchey to kos for no reason. Bandits in this game are NEVER bandits. They kos for fun and rarely loot. 

I just understand that it will never ever leave the game and because of all this it has created what I personally find fun in this game.

I sit back and make contact with friendly's and (the best part of the game for me) I also wait for someone to do a bandit behavior like kill a innocent or rob someone  and then I hunt that player and try and make them loose all there stuff. 

Its bad and good and stupid. 

If you read what Rocket has said, he never intended this game to be solely a PvP death match. They are actively working on features to encourage (key word - not force) more cooperation. 

Personally, I think it should be very difficult (not impossible) to survive completely on your own once there are more zombies and the AI is improved. 

We just need to be patient. I can guarantee you the game as it now exists does not represent Rocket's vision and the final game will be much different. 

Exactly. We don't need silly karma systems, whimsical name-tags, or absurd safe-zones or the plethora of other ridiculous nonsensical ideas people keep coming up with to force us to get along. What we need is a brutal environment that wants to kill us at every turn, that stacks so many risks against us that starting fights with others players might not necessarily be a risk we'd want to stack on top of all that.

• Like 3

Exactly. We don't need silly karma systems, whimsical name-tags, or absurd safe-zones or the plethora of other ridiculous nonsensical ideas people keep coming up with to force us to get along. What we need is a brutal environment that wants to kill us at every turn, that stacks so many risks against us that starting fights with others players might not necessarily be a risk we'd want to stack on top of all that.

Will still kill you on sight, even if it means the game instantly spawns 5 trillion mega fast, oneshot player zombies within 2mm from my face everytime I do so.

I will, even then, still do it without even flinching or thinking twice.

Still, if there's a shootout, chances are, either one of them is going to die. Why not loot the dead body then? Oh no, all of the contents are set to ruined, so all of his stuff now is worthless. <-- This right here might drive people MAD, maybe to the point that survivors will just ignore each other even though they just passed themselves by. People that are getting shot at by a guy that has more better quality gear than him/her won't have a chance to loot the guy because they can't even use it. I like it as it is, shoot a guy on the chest, only the contents on the chest will get ruined.

Edited by AntonioAJC

Will still kill you on sight, even if it means the game instantly spawns 5 trillion mega fast, oneshot player zombies within 2mm from my face everytime I do so.

If that's what you choose to do, then that's your right! You shouldn't be forced to place nice.

Edited by Rudette

You sir, are an ass and the definition of a troll. Recent research suggests that online trolls are often actually sadists. You may want to consider a psychological evaluation.

Hopefully, you won't even be able to obtain firearms without cooperating. Entering a city, town or base without a team using coordinated tactics should result in player death 99.9% of the time. Those areas should be swarming with hundreds of aggressive zombies. Players should still be able to kill each other but you shouldn't be able to sprint to a loot spawn, gear up and start trolling the way some players do now.

Edited by Inception.
No personal insults; read the rules.
  • Like 1

No. Nothing is being planned.

Congratulations on being hired as a developer. You should probably add a forum title so we will know you work with Rocket now. 

• Like 1

Entering a city, town or base without a team using coordinated tactics should result in player death 99.9% of the time. Those areas should be swarming with hundreds of aggressive zombies.

Do you honestly believe that zombies will make those 99.9% kills?

Nope!

That's MY JOB!

I am that inevitable death that awaits you at every turn. Me and fellow players like me.

WE are those voices in the back of your head, saying "Oh, don't go there, you will surely die!"

The KoS players is the exact force that creates that intangible feeling of stress and excitement and sheer dread whenever you go into a building.

Take that away and you might as well be playing Barbie: Dream House 4.

Edited by Wheunis
  • Like 8

Know what we need? A way to track players across servers. That way if some KoS troll leaves a server and hops to another, we can follow him across servers, hunt him down, and constantly kill him or her, and force them to leave the game for good, learn the error of their ways (*Snicker*) or find out if they really are sick sick sick sadists and masochists.

Soon as I see a damn deer I'm shooting it...

To hell with dem dang deer, I say!

How dare they come into OUR territory without permission!

;)

• Like 1

Do you honestly believe that zombies will make those 99.9% kills?

Nope!

That's MY JOB!

I am that inevitable death that awaits you at every turn. Me and fellow players like me.

WE are those voices in the back of your head, saying "Oh, don't go there, you will surely die!"

The KoS players is the exact force that creates that intangible feeling of stress and excitement and sheer dread whenever you go into a building.

Take that away and you might as well be playing Barbie: Dream House 4.

Oh no big scary man. I'm shaking. I can be fully geared in a couple of hours at most. You may get your rocks off by shooting my pixels but it means next to nothing when I can have the same gear again in no time. 

I don't care about getting killed but it should be a lot harder to gear up.

Edited by worst2first

Congratulations on being hired as a developer. You should probably add a forum title so we will know you work with Rocket now. 

I've been here long enough to know nothing they do will work.