gibonez

Let's talk about heavy weapons

We all very well know that every small arm in the world has eventually been suggested in the forum everything from the practical to the impractical.

However one area has been poorly ignored and that is heavy weapons and crew served weapons. Nobody seems to be talking about these weapons even though they would be far more prevalent than say a fancy western sniper rifle or a 5k dollar hunting rifle like the Blaser 95.

So lets talk about these heavy weapons and discuss on how if they would fit at all.

You can't very well talk about heavy weapons in a russian setting without mentioning the most prolific rocket launcher in the world.

RPG 7

rpg7a6dm.jpg

The good ol RPG7 is extremely abundant throughout the world and would easily be found in chenarus.

SPG 9

Afghan_spg_9_1.jpg

This recoiless rifle is a soviet era relic that has found its way into every soviet bloc country and nearly half of the world.

The sheer versatility of this weapon has led to it being adopted by dedicated armys and resistance groups all over the globe.

60 mm mortar

m224-60mm-mortar.jpg

The 60mm mortar is perhaps one of the oldest and most effective indirect fire weapons in the world.

The weapon is complicated enough to allow for extremely precise shots but simple enough that an untrained farmer in Afghanistan can use it to pester a Coalition base.

If this weapon were to be adopted into dayz it would need a far more complicated method of use and not the point and click artillery system seen in Arma.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y84kW-rN61o

That system would be adequate. The sheer versatility of mortars in the game would be amazing. They could be used for base assaults, perimeter defense of a base by having the weapon pointed at previous enemy firing positions and more importantly its ammo would be invaluable with the upcoming crafting system.

60mm_Mortar_Solid_OTA-M60M.jpg

The mortars themselves would prove to be a valuable tool for crafting IED's that would be triggered using tripwires, other explosives or electronic detonators.

large.jpg

Now these IEds would open up a whole new dimension of gameplay options.

- Lay an IEd on a road to ambush cars

- Lay tripwired IEDS all over your built base to alert you of zombies or enemy bandits entering your base.

- Booby trap bodies with ieds to kill or pester nosy people.

So lets talk what other realistic and likely heavy weapons could you see coexisting in the dayz universe and would add to the gameplay.

• Like 12

I can't see the way it may help at zombie apocalypse but Im surely waiting for LMGs, hand grenades (F1 grenade) and MAYBE some stationary HMGs that may be found at military bases, carefully detached and replaced anywhere you want to making you unable to shoot, extremely slow on moving and just an easy target while you're moving it somewhere.

Edited by Gorgeous Richie

sigh.

is this arma 2 or a zombie apocalypse?

vote for ..most retarded post so far.

These weapons would not magically disappear.

While a lone wolf would not be bothered with these things an organized group of survivors or bandits would absolutely utilize them.

One just has to look at parts of the world where there is no rule of law and see that the groups in power have these heavy , or crew served weapons.

8171d1185048679-pictures-technicals-soma

technicals.jpg

c270978a00.jpg

• Like 5

Wow, this is fucking DAYZ, not zombie survival dress up. This is a break away from the mod, and needs this sort of thing. There needs to be explosives and heavy machine guns. This game could use some claymores and IEDs, especially when vehicles are implemented. If there is the possibility of armed or armored vehicles, there needs to be a way to destroy/disable them, and you arent going to be able to do that with sticks and duct tape. Dayz's is rooted in heavily militarized zone, and after the zombie appocalypse, there are going to be armor units and heavy weapons around

I don't really get it guys. I guess it's zombie survior shooter game. And damn I am right. But you demand weapons for increasing PvP abilities.

As I've written at other topics: PlanetSide2, BF and CoD series, TeamFortress2 and others. You got it.

Let's talk about heavy weapons

Let's not. No no no no no, please no heavy weapons.

Improvised explosives maybe...

• Like 1

OK.. Chernaurus is FICTIONAL.

All you fucktards screaming realism, in a made up, fictional thing, such as a zombie apocalypse need to go back to cod.

why not go play some wasteland if you want this type of game play?

A fictional apocalypse is whatever rocket deems it to be..HIS vision..not yours, not mine.

although this community can sway rockets idea's somewhat... this one just plain sucks.....sorry OP.

You want a realistic survival game, but no heavy weapons? You are living in a dream world. You obviously have no idea of the kind of area "cherno" would be. What do you think the military would have? 

• Like 3

All you fucktards screaming realism

No one is gonna care for your opinion if you throw childish insults about.

• Like 3

I don't really get it guys. I guess it's zombie survior shooter game. And damn I am right. But you demand weapons for increasing PvP abilities.

As I've written at other topics: PlanetSide2, BF and CoD series, TeamFortress2 and others. You got it.

As stated above these weapons do not increase the potential of pvp anymore than a mosin does.

These weapons would be like trophies for organized bandit and survivor groups and they would allow them to either take on or defend their bases.

Above all they would add much needed variety to the game and add even more depth to dayz.

OK.. Chernaurus is FICTIONAL.

All you fucktards screaming realism, in a made up, fictional thing, such as a zombie apocalypse need to go back to cod.

why not go play some wasteland if you want this type of game play?

A fictional apocalypse is whatever rocket deems it to be..HIS vision..not yours, not mine.

although this community can sway rockets idea's somewhat... this one just plain sucks.....sorry OP.

Its a great idea. We know this isnt cod, but maybe you've been playing too much pony island adventure

• Like 1

You want a realistic survival game, but no heavy weapons? You are living in a dream world. You obviously have no idea of the kind of area "cherno" would be. What do you think the military would have?

errr realism could be argued either way. The map area is only 15km x 15km.. who says any heavy weapons where stationed / stored in that area when shit went down?

Do you think every patch of eastern Europe / west Russia is covered in heavy weapon stores? Sure there could be one there.. but it is no guarantee.

They would have had tanks and attack choppers also would this make for an interesting game in dayz hmmm let me think about oh they tried that in a mod of the dayz mod it sucked and basicly gave organized bandit groups control of the map..

Go back to smoking the weed dude and let the level headed guys play a gritty game of survival you want these sort of toys Arma is your best bet...

I don't see these being used as you intend them to be used.  While it would be somewhat fun to watch two clans go at it with heavy weapons from the safety of my binocs this would really only be misused, bandit buddies blowing the shit out of fresh spawns before they can even load in.  Greifers blowing up every building in a town just for the lulz.  I honestly think a PKM or RKP should be the heaviest weapons available to us.

• Like 3

To get back on topic here is another essential base and perimeter defense weapon.

The NSV machinegun. and or M2 machinegun

s-1911.jpg

These two heavy beasts would be idea for base defense especially once vehicles and helicopters are introduced.

These would make for excellent AA emplacements to stop an enemy squad from landing on top of your base .

Edited by gibonez

then people would demand destruction physics like the Frostbite engine and on and on and on it goes.

Tactical Nuke anyone?

Its a great idea. We know this isnt cod, but maybe you've been playing too much pony island adventure

your right...my bad.

Dean ....add every weapon Arma 2 has to offer...

• Like 1

You want a realistic survival game....

Lets be honest here, if its realism your on about ........ there's no such thing as zombies !

• Like 2

No one is gonna care for your opinion if you throw childish insults about.

probably not.

but, if it gets the point across that this is not a run and gun style of game and more a survival one....all the better.

• Like 1

probably not.

but, if it gets the point across that this is not a run and gun style of game and more a survival one....all the better.

How are 30+ pound weapons that require 2 people , need time to be deployed and have heavy ammunition run and gun ?

BTW I am not advocating anything such as tanks just very common crew served or stationary weapons that are already commonly found all over the world.

One merely has to look at places where there are no rule of law such as syria and see how people have adapted and used these weapons.

s_r01_RTR2N10J.jpg

s_r02_RTR2N63N.jpg

s_r03_RTR2NMIB.jpg

s_r04_09759060.jpg

s_r06_RTR2JAM9.jpg

s_r08_03311658.jpg

s_r13_RTR2LH8E.jpg

s_r22_RTR2NMIY.jpg

s_r30_19120966.jpg

s_r34_27115734.jpg

As you can see these "heavy" weapons would be common and useful if people are organized enough.

Edited by gibonez
  • Like 1