Sign in to follow this  
Karmaterror

Is a backpack a necessary?

So I finally got my all black loadout, but the hunter pack was ruining it a bit. So I thought, how hard would it be without one. After some inv tetris I got all my essentials into the combo of tac shirt,cargo pants, and assault vest. Im hoping it pushes me into towns much more often for food and water, had enough in that pack to survive in the hills till beta lol.

So what you think...is a backpack really needed?

• Like 6

I would say so as a 'just in case' option.

If for some reason you're lost, get lost, injure yourself...I carry my pack around for all of my 'just in case' scenarios. All my essentials stay on my person...preferrably up top.

• Like 8

Needed nope at current loot levels very possible to survive without one..

But then arent most of us loot whores i just cant go past some interesting loot even if i dont need it so the game of inventory tetris is a big time sink for me.... Or is this just me LOL

• Like 5

Only an improvised one. I use them as rhodes said, and the improvised packs look awesome.

• Like 5

We'll my friend let me teach you the lunch box method. The most suitable weapon that you can have is an m4, but a Mosin is acceptable too but it will leave you vulnerable at close range because you can't carry a gun.

Anyway the lunchbox method.

1. Find a protector case (preferably pristine or worn)

2. Put all the food you can fit in the protector case plus one can opener

3. Dump all excess magazines except for 2 mags (preferably 60 coupled stanags) but remove all ammo from mags first

4. Find an ammo box (preferably pristine or worn) dump all your ammo in that

5. Find a med kit and dump all the things you don't need and try to fill it up with bandages and such

You have one or two slots there for whatever you want

That my friend is the lunchbox method. I have my friend Ghyst to thank for this amazing idea

• Like 5

Not really.

I prefered to put the axe in my backpack, so I was somehow forced to use a hunter backpack. But as the hitbox expands around the backpack and a hit can kill you, I prefer using the small courier backpack due to its smaller profile.

And I wouldn't need that courier backpack if I weren't carrying a Mosin, an FNX and a sawn off. I could drop the handcuffs, keys and the sewing kit as well and I'd be fine. Actually I just gave the sawn off to a friend, so I could go without the courier pack. Don't need to do that though as it fits into my color scheme.

w40Dnp7l.jpg

The backpack is currently empty as you can see. As I said I could drop a bit of the other stuff, but I am a bit short on 7.62 currently, only one spare box, one or to packs extra would be nice.

We'll my friend let me teach you the lunch box method. The most suitable weapon that you can have is an m4, but a Mosin is acceptable too but it will leave you vulnerable at close range because you can't carry a gun.
3. Dump all excess magazines except for 2 mags (preferably 60 coupled stanags) but remove all ammo from mags first
5. Find a med kit and dump all the things you don't need and try to fill it up with bandages and such
That my friend is the lunchbox method. I have my friend Ghyst to thank for this amazing idea

1. It does not make any difference besides the looks

2. You don't carry food in your inventory, except you are just looting a town. Eat it right away.

4. You only need an ammo box if you have an M4A1, otherwise you'll probably never need that much ammo.

5. Rags have more uses (6 compared to 4), currently there is no drawback using rags. I'd carry rags and morphine. Epi-pens, blood bags and saline bags are only useful when playing with another person, and even then it is unlikely they will really help you. I am currently thinking of dropping the medkit. as it has the same amount of slots as a protector case, but restricts the items you can put into it.

Edited by Baarn
  • Like 3

Not sure why you guys say get rid of the hunter pack, fits perfectly in with the TTkSO stuff I wear and camo baseball cap. I guess that's because I'm always in the trees, but that's just me.

Edited by Samuri_Bake_Pie
  • Like 3

I would say so as a 'just in case' option.

If for some reason you're lost, get lost, injure yourself...I carry my pack around for all of my 'just in case' scenarios. All my essentials stay on my person...preferrably up top.

Yeah i can see myself dying at some point because of this choice, and with my last breath going "why....why...you fool!" :)

Needed nope at current loot levels very possible to survive without one..

But then arent most of us loot whores i just cant go past some interesting loot even if i dont need it so the game of inventory tetris is a big time sink for me.... Or is this just me LOL

Nope your not the only one...surprised I haven't been shot playing inv tetris....its probs how iv spent the majority of my SA time lol

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 2

I like that....but dang...I left my protector case in the pack forgot about the space it could of saved me :(....least i kept the first aid kit though :)

• Like 1

You never know when your leg is going to break, so my backpack is always full of sticks and bandages. Sticks, food, waterbottles, and bandages.

• Like 2

If you are wearing all of the clothing with lots of slots you definitely do not need a backpack.  I am wearing basic stuff on my hardcore cowboy so I had to make an improvised backpack to carry a few extra items.

• Like 1

You can do just fine without a backpack, as long as you take advantage of other inventory increasing equipment/clothing and eat everything you see. All you really need is a slot for your bullets, a slot for a clean bandage, a slot for your can opener (you can get by with an axe), and one free slot to make inventory work easier. I usually manage to get by if a find a hoodie  :thumbsup:

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 2

I usually go blacked out so the backpack does ruin it but maybe there is a dark shoulder school bag that would at least fit the color scheme, but I don't know

• Like 3

I usually go blacked out so the backpack does ruin it but maybe there is a dark shoulder school bag that would at least fit the color scheme, but I don't know

Yeah im waiting on a black mountain pack or some sort of black acu pack.....even if its small, as long as its black lol :)

• Like 2

You guys know that black makes piss-poor camo, right? I mean, it looks cool, and I see how the backpack might screw that part up, but I wouldn't worry about the green backpack giving away your position.

Your all black, human-shaped outline does that quite nicely. Might as well be wearing the yellow raincoat, depending on where you're standing.

• Like 3

You guys know that black makes piss-poor camo, right? I mean, it looks cool, and I see how the backpack might screw that part up, but I wouldn't worry about the green backpack giving away your position.

Your all black, human-shaped outline does that quite nicely. Might as well be wearing the yellow raincoat, depending on where you're standing.

I think its better than camo at distance....not in open fields, but under the canopy its great. The floor textures are like a dark brown, so black acctually blends better than green. That ttsko whatever stuff is so easy to spot because its so light against the floor. Plus I mainly play at night, daytime feels exposed lol, so the black should work out good :)

PS although tonight when the server should have been dark it was light :(

• Like 1

tbh there is no reason to carry a backpack atm, unless you gonna ape rambo and need like 500+ ammo etc. pp., playin a medic or somone who picks stuff for others.

imho its totally useless to carry food and water. get hydrated and energized asap to gain healthstatus - travel from east to west, south to north and back, sippin on a lake/river and you'r still healthy/energized/hydrated. whats the reason to carry like 10 baked beans and 4 packages of rice? :rolleyes:

sure, if u camp like 20h on one spot u probably need some supply...

sometimes i loot bodies they got stuff in pockets/backpack wich last for 3 players. most ppl just hoard loot (for unknown reasons) they could never use in there whole lifetime, especially because they die after 2-3 gaming hours.

have a nice

Edited by Guest

I think its better than camo at distance....not in open fields, but under the canopy its great. The floor textures are like a dark brown, so black acctually blends better than green. That ttsko whatever stuff is so easy to spot because its so light against the floor. Plus I mainly play at night, daytime feels exposed lol, so the black should work out good :)

PS although tonight when the server should have been dark it was light :(

I agree about the TTsko camo. If a game's fatigues or hunting clothes make me think "I wish I had some ACUs, instead," that's a pretty good sign that your camo sucks and isn't breaking up the profile.

And again, I don't expect any of it to hide me in plain sight, because that's not what camo does. It just breaks up your "man-shape," and really works best when you're partially concealed. The TTsko stuff doesn't even do that. It's too clean when "pristine," and I don't think a single shade on it matches any of the plants or dirt in Chernarus.

It really stands out in a game where the guns textures are so pretty they literally turn people on, or that actually models earth's gravitational pull on bullets.

• Like 1

I just dumped my backpack on regular,my gear now includes,3 coupled magazines as well as 240 spare bullets,a 'silenced' fnx with a single magazine inside it,a can opener,compass,saline IV,bandage and a sewing kit. Oh and a canteen. I'm now a simple soldier with my beret and M4 prowling Chernarus.

• Like 2

My opinion? Sure you could survive without a backpack, but ultimately you are allowing vanity to affect your chances in game.

Now that said, if I have a choice between a hunter backpack or a mountain one, I'll choose the hunter purely because it blends in better. This isn't about looking good but more blending into the terrain better. I do hope that somewhere down the line there will be the ability to use the spray cans on the backpacks as the orange mountain backpack is a serious camouflage killer.

• Like 3

I like this thread... i like these ideas to make the game more challenging.  Being forced to raid for supplies more often is good.  With a big pack & vets etc go can gather enough supplies to very rarely require trips to town.

• Like 1

to me?

the more crap you got the better......just in case.

never know when a friend may need something.

• Like 1

My opinion? Sure you could survive without a backpack, but ultimately you are allowing vanity to affect your chances in game.

Now that said, if I have a choice between a hunter backpack or a mountain one, I'll choose the hunter purely because it blends in better. This isn't about looking good but more blending into the terrain better. I do hope that somewhere down the line there will be the ability to use the spray cans on the backpacks as the orange mountain backpack is a serious camouflage killer.

very well said

• Like 1