Cap'n (DayZ)

SKS vs M4

M4

The m4 default is not the best gun since most of the attachments quality relays in its accuracy.

Mag pull part seem to be a gread pick.

CQB butstock is a bit iffy at the moment having a lot of flyers in my shots when i try them and pistol is better in cqb.(+ dayz alpha gun play is not really super for in your face cqb its a bit cluncky)

Quad rail seems to be fine for me though some ppl say it gives accuracy prob, and since only weapon flashlight needs quad rail wel its not to bad to leave it on the floor.

But at the moment you can have a magpull grip +light, just find a quad rail put the light on next paint the quad rail and finaly drag magpull grip to the m4 and select ''attach to weapon''

So in the end is the question is it worth the trouble scavenging?

I say yes the mags are the factor, VERY eazy to find ammo in all those mags.

Also you have 10 diffrent mags to be found wats makes them very very eazy to find(black 10,20,30,40, green10,20,30,40,standard 30,double stack 30 )

Personaly i think those double stacks need to be looked at.

They give 60 round mag though is just 2 30 mags + duck tape.

But since dayz is in alpha i say leave it.

But also remove it from spawning and let ppl craft them from 2 standard 30 round mags + duck tape.(yes i know they need space in between but game play wishe it's a fix)

SKS

As for or sks the 7.62x39 steel case is eazy to find.

But the 10 round clips however are like pistol mags just way to hard to find.

Love to see the 20 round ammo boxes empty in 2 10 round clips if you want to set it close to the m4.

Pu scope is nice to but you cant use irons sight while its on the gun.

Russian have the costum to set the sights high over the barrel so thad the irons are still useble while its on the gun.

Cud be a nice touch to the sks and mosin-nagant and akm maby?

---------------------------------------------------------------

To put it simple the m4 is still better in my opinion.

sks is nice to use but the m4 just has a bit more in finding ammo and mags.

But the AKM is prob a better contender for a battle i think. (I hope)

P.S.

The 5.56 is a smaller projectile but that's because the us made thad round from scrach to be ther intermediate.

The russians just took a 7.62x54r for ther intermediate and trimmed it to 39.

Germans did the same for there stg44 where they took ther full rifle charge(7.92x57) and just made it bit smaller(7.92x33).

Thouh ironic thad the us where the last to use a intermediate and actually planned the full rifle cartridge for the m14.

So yes 5.56 is smaller but it's also made for it's own charge where the projectile from the 7.62x39 was made for a full rifle charge(7.62x39) giving it more power on inpact.

Kina like putting a new smaller engine in a big car, more enegry wasted to move the bigger wieght since thad body was made knowing it was for a car with a big engine giving more room to play with.

Edited by (DD)DutchB4k

I don't get into too many fights, I try not to anyway. However my most recent usage of the M4 in combat was a stock (albeit, pristine parts) M4. I was zeroed to 200m, shot a guy at about 150-200m right in the gut with a single round (he had a vest and decent clothes on) - instantly unconscious. I line up another shot while he is on the ground, one round to the dome and he plays the little death animation.

I haven't had any real combat experience with the SKS except for when it was almost completely broken a few patches ago. My friend and I were being followed by a group of geared players, so we got into position and I fired at one guy no more than 200m away. Nothing. No hits. No indication of where my bullets could have possibly gone; didn't even hit the trees immediately to his right or left, or even behind.

Maybe the SKS is much better now but I tend to carry my M4 nowadays.

Edited by Hells High

The 5.56 fragments and the 7.62x39 does not. Second you need to place your shots properly regardless of caliber.

ie7SKft.png

I thought the speed of the 5.56 made it just drill right through the target in CQ, but okay no point arguing with Gews about ballistics.

I thought the speed of the 5.56 made it just drill right through the target in CQ, but okay no point arguing with Gews about ballistics.

The speed makes it more likely to fragment. Less speed = less fragmentation. However angle-of-attack variations can lead to failure in which case it would "drill through". Basically the bullet is wobbling in circles as it comes out of the barrel, if it hits at an unfortunate angle it can fail to fragment and this varies from bullet to bullet and rifle to rifle.

• Like 1

SKS needs a damage buff imo..I'll put 3-4 rounds in a guy's chest and he still runs around..

It already got one. Your problems are due to the damage system and not that the weapon is weak. It could still use a buff. The M4 needs a huge buff.

It already got one. Your problems are due to the damage system and not that the weapon is weak. It could still use a buff. The M4 needs a huge buff.

The M4 needs an accuracy buff big time, however damage wise I think it's fine..people drop me in just a few shots sometimes.

The M4 needs an accuracy buff big time, however damage wise I think it's fine..people drop me in just a few shots sometimes.

In "just a few shots"? But taking "just a few shots" is what you were complaining about with the SKS. ^_^

In "just a few shots"? But taking "just a few shots" is what you were complaining about with the SKS. ^_^

They need to buff the M4 a lot but also make it much rarer.

Not sure what the hell an M4 is doing in an office.

SKS should be reasonably powerful like it is now, but continue to spawn ammo and guns in non military places reliably.

Yes, you can.. Turn your FOV down.

I love how that's generally regarded as an exploit in the game.

They need to buff the M4 a lot but also make it much rarer.

Not sure what the hell an M4 is doing in an office.

I think the tricked-out M4s should be end-game kinda gear... instead of being common peashooters.

Only in a video game could weapons like this...

ArHhzsX.jpg?1

be considered wholly inferior to weapons like this...

RpyuEbs.jpg?1

NfkNPTy.jpg?1

• Like 1

I think the tricked-out M4s should be end-game kinda gear... instead of being common peashooters.

ArHhzsX.jpg?1

RpyuEbs.jpg?1

NfkNPTy.jpg?1

QFT

I love how that's generally regarded as an exploit in the game.

Not sure if you're serious or if you're trying to say it IS an exploit..

The only EXPLOIT is that it shouldn't be necessary. The Devs should give the ACOG the proper magnification, and lock the FOV to the scopes.

Not sure if you're serious or if you're trying to say it IS an exploit..

The only EXPLOIT is that it shouldn't be necessary. The Devs should give the ACOG the proper magnification, and lock the FOV to the scopes.

Yup.

Even WITH the FoV slider all the way left, the ACOG still doesn't "magnify" as much as it should. Last time I checked it was 1.56x by default, using the slider that doubles to 3.12x, still much less than the 4x it should be at. Take a screenshot of 4x scopes ARMA 2 or 3 and compare to the ACOG and the difference is huge.

In a GAME where body armour is not really something you have to contend with in a realistic way, the M4 should be a fairly decent killing machine.
A short 5.56mm Carbine or rifle is NEVER going to have the effective range or mid to Long range accuracy of an SKS or similar.

The M4 is a popular choice worldwide in its many guises,and used by a tonne of armed forces, as it is extremely modular and can be adapted to a lot of different situations. It is lightweight, ammo is lightweight and compact and a lot can be carried, 5.56mm causes less Colatteral damage as it is less likely than 7.62mm to pass through a Human body and continue on and hit another one.
It is also less likely to penetrate cover and armor, but a hit on the human body causes a lot of damage as the round will expand and tumble inside, lacking the mass and energy to pass right through. As a result a single shot within the effective range (usually 300m for a 5.56mm rifle) is likely to cause significant damage but is not a guaranteed to kill even to vital areas, it will mess you up but not necessarily kill you,luckily most 5.56mm weapons have a good rate of fire and less recoil which makes them easier to control when landing the multiple shots necessary to kill someone. This is why M4's excel at short range, and they are easier to manipulate in tight environments.

On the other hand you have an SKS, used in real life as a battle rifle and designated marksman rifle.
it will inherently be more accurate than a 5.56mm weapon, and accurate over greater ranges, an SKS should be effective to 800m and able to harass outside that range, a 5.56mm rifle to 300m or 400m and able to harass outside that.

A hit from a 7.62mm round will devestate a human target, but if they are lucky it can pass right though a fleshy area without losing much velocity or expanding which will result in less damage. This will typically occur at closer range, the upside being it will still wreck people at longer ranges, and defeat armor at short AND long range vs a 5.56mm.
Ammo is bigger and heavier and less can be carried, an SKS is unwieldy in close quarters and not modular so cannot be adapted to different body types or tactical situations. It has a lower rate of fire and a smaller magazine as well.

At the end of the day, in real life, there is no ultimate weapon or ammo types, hence why armed forces equip their soldiers with a variety of each, which changes to suit any given tactical situation if planning allows it.

IN DAYZ, for me it is the SKS all day, it seems more accurate and seems to do more damage, though I have little experience with the M4, I have successfully repelled attacks and defeated enemies at range with the SKS, and killed snipers from 300-400m with one shot using a PU2.

Ideally all the weapons will one day accurately reflect their RL counterparts with regards to damage and accuracy, then we will be able to perfectly select which weapons we want/need as they will all be better suited to a particular more than others.
The M4 has somehow (I blame ovies and video games) developed a reputation as the ultimate weapon which sadly isn't the case, although it is amazing, there is no one ultimate weapon. In this case, with Day Z, the SKS is a better all round weapon in my honest opinion.

PS. I am no weapon or science expert, but I have some pretty extensive firearms experience using a lot of different weapons, as I am an infantryman in the army. The 5.56 vs 7.62mm debate is ENDLESS, so is the 'Why don't we use epic M4's" debate.

Edited by EndOfDayZ

A short 5.56mm Carbine or rifle is NEVER going to have the effective range or mid to Long range accuracy of an SKS or similar.

it will inherently be mire accurate than a 5.56mm weapon

an SKS should be effective to 800m

An SKS... riiiight... maybe you meant "SVD".

• Like 1

In a game where body armor is not really something you have to contend with in a realistic way, the M4 should be a fairly decent killing machine.

Wut ?

ArHhzsX.jpg?1

RpyuEbs.jpg?1

NfkNPTy.jpg?1

They need to drop all their balancing, DayZ shouldn't be about artificial damage and accuracy.

It should be about realism and rarity.

If they want the players to be terrible shooters they can add weapon sway, extra recoil, and slower reloading.

An SKS... riiiight... maybe you meant "SVD".

Thankyou Gews, I meant 600m maximum effective range. I typed that reply on my phone and edited 2 or 3 times trying to fix everything.

The restricting factor between the two is the optic Attachments for both weapons.I know when we got Acogs at work our "effective range" increased by 100m.

I am not sure if this is what is trying to be reflected in DayZ but the M4 does seem a lot worse than it really is without all the fruit hanging off it.

I don't feel M4 is a particularly decent item in game, other than looking super bad ass.

The .22 rifle taking 15 shots to kill someone at 50m is another good example of broken weapons.

Both are different guns, it's like comparing a strawberry to a potato. Both food, but one is a vegetable, one is a fruit.

One is an assault rifle, one is a carbine.

However, in my opinion I prefer the SKS, although it is a little louder, it is more accurate.

j7gjds.jpg

My Little Pony M4A1

Edited by pilgrim

Tell me you guys don't have names for your (Dayz) guns yet?

Big fan of the SKS. Accurate, fast firing and hard hitting.

At a disadvantage indoors against aware M4 users who can just riddle you with rounds but I am that jerk who waits until the enemy has safely left the building with my loot.

I noticed a pretty steep decline in the effectiveness of the M4 about three weeks ago. Since then I've pretty much converted all my mates over to the SKS as well. Which is good too so now we have ammunition commonality amongst us for our primaries.

At the moment I'm playing with the 22 Sporter for shits and gigs.

ArHhzsX.jpg?1

RpyuEbs.jpg?1

NfkNPTy.jpg?1

EDIT: Is actually a G3, sorry... The AK range does suck however  :P It's advantages (being tough, reliable, and easy to maintain/repair) aren't factored in the game so yeah, at the moment the M4A1 is better. Although I reckon a 7.62mm round does more damage.

Edited by falcon1439

^the last one down is a G3...

^the last one down is a G3...

Opps, my bad  :blush: Thought it was a SLR. Anyhow, my point still stands