Demoth

Personal feelings of military weapons (and future weapons) in this game

yeah i can roll with this once we start finding guns that are not pristine the ability to fix them to a working state. Id still use a bow for range until yes i could get my broken or even makeshift gun going ( probably still use bow for hunting animals as arrows are easier than bullets to make. But i am all for any add ons to the game that are realistic/authentic and fit a survival game thats not at heart a straight war game...

No, arrows are most decidedly not easier than bullets to make. Get that out of your head right now. Bullets are so much easier to make than arrows, it isn't even funny.

Just my opinion and it's just that....I believe that kill on site isn't ever going to go away. Instead of being killed with a firearm you'll be killed with a bow and arrow, or a slingshot, or a fireman's axe....somebody's fist. Once someone does find a gun or makes one, whatever the case may be, they will still be killing on site. Yep, a bow and arrow is much quieter than a firearm...but we are talking about a zombie apocalypse, and I don't care what world you live in, you will want a firearm, and you will want one that is already at least together. As it stands now, you may think it's easy to get a firearm. An M4 or a shotgun, whatever. Log in to a server that has some people or has had some people and it's not all that easy. It can in fact take several days, I know from personal experience. Once you find an M4 it may take several more days to find undamaged attachments for it, like a pristine buttstock or a handguard. In my experience it's generally not easy. It's time consuming unless your server hopping and even then...who wants to wait that long to log in to a server because you've hopped 5 or 6 times? It's just not worth it to me. The problem isn't the guns, the problem is the infection, isn't 'real' if that makes any sense. Everyone is running around shooting other players because they are bored. They get geared up and then what? Fight off the zombie horde that isn't there? Yeah. There is no reason to team up with anyone other than your friends that already play. You don't need a large number of survivors and if you play the game cautiously you don't need anyone with you at all. As it stands now, there is no real reason to band together. You want less guns, but once the zombies start getting harder, and there start being more of them, you may be saying, "WE NEED MORE GUNS!!!" Which is probably what will happen. Be careful with what you want. We will probably get a whole host of ways to make makeshift weapons none of which are going to be as effective against a zombie horde as a good old auto-loader with lots of ammo and a village behind you with the same. As an aside, in the country where this game is placed, in reality you would see a lot of Ak's. A lot of Ak's. It's the region where they come from, and in most third world countries they are very, very plentiful. They are easy to make, and easy to maintain. It's why people use them in those countries. It's why the militias and militaries in that part of the world use them. In America we have a lot of AR's, WHY? Because our country uses that weapon platform. All the M16 is, is an AR that either has full auto functionality or three round burst as well as semi-auto capabilities. Whereas the civilian model has semi only. I think that instead of less guns, you should be seeing more area specific guns. Should an m4 be rare? That's not for me to say, but you probably wouldn't have as many available to you in  Chernarous as you would in say....Chicago. IF you really had a zombie outbreak would the civilians that didn't get infected have been drafted into the military and thus issued battle rifles and side arms? If it got so bad that it basically was wiping out an entire country probably. So weapons would be plentiful, especially if you were able to find a site where a large battle took place. To me the crafting shouldn't be about making things, but more keeping the things you have maintained and running. More about crafting that campfire, crafting that base where you CAN band together and defend your lives and friends lives. It should be about finding a good place to make a cache so that you can stock pile it, in case you die. Then you could go to your cache and resupply, or make cache's for those longer trips. Perhaps in the future they will have large zombie scale battles and the event calls for people from one base to make a large movement across the map to help their neighbors, having to stop at there caches to resupply. It's a survival game, but it's also a Zombie Apocalypse game. Keep that in mind. DOn't short change yourself effective weapons that you may desperately need in the future, and not have access too or very rare access too. I don't know about you, but taking on several hundred zombies with a few guys and some baseball bats, just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Demoth you clever duck you. Nice thinly disguised, "I don't want more guns but I want more guns" post. I'm on to you

Major concerns yes, but Dean did also say the modding is a major priority now. 

So once people have control over loot spawns, additional content, restricting content.. all of us should get exactly what we want one way or another 

The devs are planning on adding craftable bows? Ugh. I don't think they quite understand just how difficult it is to make a serviceable bow and arrows. In medieval Britain, it was an art, done by certified practitioners. You don't just take a stick and attach some string, it takes a lot of effort to make a bow...well, a bow and arrows that will last and shoot with accuracy and power.

I made a pvc bow in 15 minutes. 3/4 inch pvc pipe, fiberglass rods, tape, nylon cord. Here lemme give you a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krN8iEBRhS0

Just ignore neckbeard.

No, arrows are most decidedly not easier than bullets to make. Get that out of your head right now. Bullets are so much easier to make than arrows, it isn't even funny.

Uh... what?

You mean smelting copper, brass and lead, and making smokeless powder? Then molding them precisely to fit the bore and to the casing of the shell? Then fitting a primer?

Because making any moderm cartridge from scratch would not be easier than an arrow.

• Like 1

Uh... what?

You mean smelting copper, brass and lead, and making smokeless powder? Then molding them precisely to fit the bore and to the casing of the shell? Then fitting a primer?

Because making any moderm cartridge from scratch would not be easier than an arrow.

Nope, making lead balls for a musket, something that can be done with a crucible, ball mold, and cast-off tire weights. I am against making modern cartridges in-game, just for that reason.

Uh... what?

whyherro has his own special brand of logic.. I never said making a good arrow would be easy but making bullets in this situation would be well impossible...

Edit oh musket ball why didnt you say so not sure but how hard is gun powder to make doesnt seem like something average joe knows how to do though ..

Making an arrow he might make some real bad ones but would improve at it how does one make gun powder when they dont know the ingrediants to start with ???

Edited by SoulFirez

Nope, making lead balls for a musket, something that can be done with a crucible, ball mold, and cast-off tire weights. I am against making modern cartridges in-game, just for that reason.

Yeah, but then you'd have to make a musket.

LOL id quit now he has the ability to argue the absurd to the point you give up and move on...

whyherro has his own special brand of logic.. I never said making a good arrow would be easy but making bullets in this situation would be well impossible...

You do know there is a difference between a bullet and a cartridge, right? The bullet is the part that zooms out to getcha, while the cartridge is the brass that holds the propellant and primer (in the case of modern rounds)

The .75 caliber lead ball fired by my musket is a "bullet". The paper tube containing the black powder to fire the bullet is the "cartridge". Important difference.

yeah, true. I've seen video's on people making muskets using nothing more than a pipe welded shut at one end, however. I wouldn't use the thing though, unless I made it and knew the pressures involved. I like my hands a little too much : P

Uh... what?

You aren't going to be making brass without modern equipment, but you don't have to, as you can re-use it a lot. You don't need copper, just lead. You do need smokeless powder, but again, won't be making it. You can make primers, but not easily.

You'd have to find the parts, which depending on where you are, could be very easy or very difficult.

However, making a good arrow from scratch is also hard as hell. You'll need some machining equipment to make good metal arrow heads. You can make them out of flint, but I would be surprised if anyone here could do it after a few months of practice (not just make an arrow head, but make one that actually flies straight).

Quite bluntly, unless you are driving nails through base-ball bats or sharpening a metal plate, you aren't going to be realistically crafting weapons.

You do know there is a difference between a bullet and a cartridge, right? The bullet is the part that zooms out to getcha, while the cartridge is the brass that holds the propellant and primer (in the case of modern rounds)

The .75 caliber lead ball fired by my musket is a "bullet". The paper tube containing the black powder to fire the bullet is the "cartridge". Important difference.

Dude, that's such an argument of semantics, I can't really continue this. There is a difference, but it's so ingrained in our vernacular, it's like spazzing out when someone calls a magazine a clip. Yes, it's incorrect but you know what the person is saying.

You aren't going to be making brass without modern equipment, but you don't have to, as you can re-use it a lot. You don't need copper, just lead. You do need smokeless powder, but again, won't be making it. You can make primers, but not easily.

You'd have to find the parts, which depending on where you are, could be very easy or very difficult.

However, making a good arrow from scratch is also hard as hell. You'll need some machining equipment to make good metal arrow heads. You can make them out of flint, but I would be surprised if anyone here could do it after a few months of practice (not just make an arrow head, but make one that actually flies straight).

Quite bluntly, unless you are driving nails through base-ball bats or sharpening a metal plate, you aren't going to be realistically crafting weapons.

I agree. Making weapons beyond a simple spear or club is realistically beyond the scope of 90% of the population. There was a reason societies had specialized weapon-makers. Making something that would not only work, but stand up to repeated usage is actually rather difficult if you don't know what you are doing.

I know how to make percussion caps, but I am unsure if they would work in place of primers on a modern brass cartridge. The principles are the same, but I still don't know if it would work...

Dude, that's such an argument of semantics, I can't really continue this. There is a difference, but it's so ingrained in our vernacular, it's like spazzing out when someone calls a magazine a clip. Yes, it's incorrect but you know what the person is saying.

I just was gently reminding him that bullets are eminently producible with a little know-how, it would be the other shooty-bits that are the problem. : P

Good move he will argue day is night and refrence solar flares as smoke screens.. He has watched videos on making a musket ( hey i have actually made a home made cannon but before i started i knew the pressure rating of the pipe in a scavenge situation you wouldnt so you are very likely to blow the pipe apart hurting yourself but trust me he will argue in circles till you just submit...

He still didnt provide a recipe for gun powder or how easy it would be to make find in eastern europe for average joe but it will come trust me it will come..

Edited by SoulFirez

Good move he will argue day is night and refrence solar flares as smoke screens.. He has watched videos on making a musket ( hey i have actually made a home made cannon but before i started i knew the pressure rating of the pipe in a scavenge situation you wouldnt so you are very likely to blow the pipe apart hurting yourself but trust me he will argue in circles till you just submit...

He still didnt provide a recipe for gun powder or how easy it would be to make find in eastern europe for average joe but it will come trust me it will come.

Realistic really doesn't matter anyway. It wouldn't be fun and fun does need to be taken into consideration in a game. I would quickly uninstall this game if it turned to musket warfare. Ugh.

Realistic really doesn't matter anyway. It wouldn't be fun and fun does need to be taken into consideration in a game. I would quickly uninstall this game if it turned to musket warfare. Ugh.

Muskets are fun! They can fire bullets and shot with equal measure.......I just really like muzzloaders

Muskets are fun! They can fire bullets and shot with equal measure.......I just really like muzzloaders

For you.

Oh it doesnt matter in a game only when one says doing a musket in real life would be easier than a bow and arrows.. With no knoledge of bow an arrows average joe could make one a shit one but with that experience get better at it ( sure might take years to be trully effective) but avergae joe with no knoledge of gun powder will spend a life time trying to figure it..

They could honestly put both in and id happily play lol just answering whyherro and his magical logic...

Edited by SoulFirez

Oh it doesnt matter in a game only when one says doing a musket in real life would be easier than a bow and arrows.. With no knoledge of bow an arrows average joe could make one a shit one but with that experience get better at it ( sure might take years to be trully effective) but avergae joe with no knoledge of gun powder will spend a life time trying to figure it..

They could honestly put both in and id happily play lol just answering whyherro and his magical logic...

Wait, don't we just need a wood workbench and some scrap metal just to make an M4.  I mean, we don't need any machinery to bore with or an engine lathe......

• Like 1