Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy McNulty

Too many military spawns?

Hey. Anyone else thinks there's WAY too many military spawns in dayZ standalone? Barracks here, barracks there, barracks everywhere! Even the coast is full of military spawns. Is it rocket's goal to have everyone running around with assault rifles? Seems kinda weird to me. I don't like it this way. Imo military grade weapons should be rare and pretty much almost everyone should be running around with civilian weapons, not the other way around.

Military spawns are so common because not many civilian grade weapons have been made, but I get where your coming from. The amount of potential military spawns (Barracks, AF's, Etc.) seem to be a little too high, but then again, it's a zombie apocalypse, so think of the story behind it. Zombies pop up, military roles in to clear it out, they utterly fail just like ever Zombie Game/Movie that has ever existed, and then we have the people looting the bases. Gotta think from all perspectives.

Given the small weapon pool we got at the moment.. I don't know what you'd expect. I am 100% sure drop rates, and drop locations will get tweaked ten-fold before release anyway. Finding an M4 in a school? Yeah..

To the contrary, not enough military loot spawns and what currently spawns what needs to be changed.

Hangers shouldn't spawn ammo and weapons, barracks should have really really low chances at weapons should mostly be soldier clothing and gear.

The jails should have a decent chance at both weapons and ammo. While the control tower should have a low chance at a weapon.

The weapons that do spawn should have a high chance of spawning in damaged or broken. (We need a deeper weapon maintenance system)

I should see barricades and roadblocks/checkpoints that are dotted around the map that have the highest chance of spawning both weapons and ammo, but also in a damaged state. (After all, the checkpoint has fallen to the infected.)

Yeah why would there be weapons in a country that has just fought a civil war and had a UN intervention force.... oh.... wait......

As rocket stated (and whichw as discussed here ~10 times) : As soon as improvised weapons are available (throwing weapons, bows, etc.) military weapons will be super-rare.

But yes, you're right, there are a lot of military buildings/places around....too many, but well, on the other hand, there was a zombie apocalypse going on, so it makes sense if you look it at that way...

i think Military weapons should be mostly found on Soldier Zombies.... and locked! places. Ive remember seeing a vid from the mod where they had to find the correct code for the Bunker.

there was a zombie apocalypse going on, so it makes sense if you look it at that way...

thats why i think it makes NO sense at all that we find assault rifles in barracks :D

Its like: Oh war is over and Zombies coming......lets put our guns away and welcome our new undead overlords :huh:

zombies should be the MAINTARGET to get some good loot. Atm we have Zeds with full Gear running around.....but no pistols?Rifles? empty backpacks? Not even a friggin Map? :huh:

ive remember from my time that i had tons of crap in my pockets.....from cigarettes to small tool bags

oh and before someone says: that would increase the gun spawn! Nope it wouldnt, since we damage/broke items when we kill someone. So it would be pretty bad if we pump a Zed full of lead and find out that we fubared all the mags or the gun that he had

Edited by BattleFairy

Yes, too many. Far too many. This needs to be lowered to a point where it takes days or weeks to find all the military grade loot. As of now, everyone and their mother is running around with hundreds of bullets, pristine M4s with all pristine attachements in pristine military clothes. And that's ok for as long as there are just a few zombies, no tents and no hunting, it gives people something to do.

But once these things are added, I hope the devs focus on making the survival aspect more about struggeling to survive in this zombie-infested world with almost no food and barely any good gear than surviving a military simulation. 

Well, since it's an alpha, our main purpose as tester (and in an alpha you are a tester and not a "player"), it is our purpose to test everything - and that's why (especially new) weapons spawn very often and are easy to find...guns, damage, handling, medic system etc. - easier if everybody can find a gun with ease.

But at least when it hits Beta things will change :)

Well, since it's an alpha, our main purpose as tester (and in an alpha you are a tester and not a "player"), it is our purpose to test everything - and that's why (especially new) weapons spawn very often and are easy to find...guns, damage, handling, medic system etc. - easier if everybody can find a gun with ease.

But at least when it hits Beta things will change :)

thats nonsense and a lame excuse

cause we test dayz and not the new amazing military gun simulator ......with zombies

ive found with my last character 5 guns! but not a single can of food :facepalm:

i want test things...but yet i cant even go in a city without getting shot. how many "testers" care about bugs when they just can kill everyone on the beach?

how many players find out that water do the same falling damage like concrete?

or that drinking from a pond is very difficult?

but hey the M4 isnt accurate enough......the mosin do too much/less damage yeah we really need those infos

Edited by BattleFairy

Dean has said many times that once improvised weapons are introduced,

military equipment and guns in general with become "extremely rare"

I'm really looking forward to this and it shows how much the game will change until th alpha phase is over. 

Don't quote me on this but there's like a total of 9 barracks on the entire map. 3 at balota 3 at kameanka m.b and 3 at nwaf I fail to see how they are everywhere.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion and I totally disagree with everything you've mentioned.

Don't quote me on this but there's like a total of 9 barracks on the entire map. 3 at balota 3 at kameanka m.b and 3 at nwaf I fail to see how they are everywhere.

Everyone is entitled to there opinion and I totally disagree with everything you've mentioned.

There's another military base with like 2 or 3. I was just there yesterday. But yeah you're mostly right. There aren't many.

Hell I was geared up before I hit the military base. I was just looking for a hunter backpack at the time and hoping for a black tactical shirt and vest. Getting sick of all the green clothes

I'm really looking forward to this and it shows how much the game will change until th alpha phase is over. 

thats nonsense and a lame excuse

cause we test dayz and not the new amazing military gun simulator ......with zombies

First, I didn't make an excuse - I just told you from my point of view and my actual knowledge why the loot-tables are, the way the are at the moment.

Second, I think it's not nonsense, because this applys to all new items (spraycans, weapon cleaning kits etc. etc.). But Food? When was the last time a food item added? And apart from that, if you don't find food you either are on the coast or don't search good enough or have the wrong search pattern - you know, buildings that don't spawn guns also spawn food...because I have so much food, that I don't even care to pick it up most of the time...and no, I don't hop. And no, I don't play 24/7. And no, I don't play only on low pop servers.

And guns ARE a part of DayZ (it's in its heritage ;)), and at the moment the items, and from it snature the items that can cause the most problems in a program (apart from players & Zombies)

My problem is that military spawns are too concentrated along the west side. There's the NWAF, NW base, Zelenogorsk, SW base, then Balota a bit east, all on the left side of the map.

My problem is that military spawns are too concentrated along the west side. There's the NWAF, NW base, Zelenogorsk, SW base, then Balota a bit east, all on the left side of the map.

Yeah and we mostly spawn on the east coast kinda makes you think he wants us to travel across the map and explore it ...

Oh wait thats a good thing explore the map there is 225square km not just the 25 or so of coastline.... Hey he is adding alot of cities towns in the north east though so willl still be plenty to do ...

Just a word of caution though on this. Be careful what you ask for. Just because we don't want scenarios like Rust where makeshift weapons suck and pretty much everyone that finds a military grade weapon capitalizes off of it leaving everyone else screwed. Iv seen it happen quite a bit in that game to. New players are practically screwed on survival as well.

Makeshift weapons better be good or i can see lots of balance issues.

20 weapons - 4 attachments each - 5 possible conditions = 500 items

20 military type clothings - 4 colours each - 5 possible conditions = 400 items

20 military type food/beverages  - 5 possible conditions = 100 items

----

1.000 military items to spawn in the military places

Edited by bonsai