Johnny Depth

Anyone use Shadowplay to record their dayz action?

Hey guys.

I was thinking about using shadowplay to start recording my adventures on DayZ so you guys can see all the fun things we get into.  

My question(s) to you are:

1) Anyone out there use Shadowplay before?

2) Is it hard to use?

3) Is DayZ compatible with it?

and yes I have a compatible graphics card.

Thank!

Edited by Johnny Depth

Yes i do and although its not officially supported ( well it wasnt last time i checked) it works perfectly for Dayz ..

Its bloody good to be honest recording and not losing frames eat your heart out fraps lol..

PS thanks for the video setting you told me between that and sweetfx my game looks epic.

PPS i still trip to berez now and then in hope but i never find your squad > :(

Edit hard to use nope set up once ( very simple settings) and hit alt f9

Edited by SoulFirez

Anyone compare it to bandicam?  Thats the only program Ive tried thus far.

How did you get it to work with DayZ if it is not technically supported yet?

Also, thanks for the feedback! Going to download it today.

Also also, my team and I moved to the NEAF so you won't find us in Berezino very often anymore lol. Come to the airfield and we can work something out! :)

ShadowPlay is probably the best program I've used so far when it comes to recording. If you want absolute perfect un-compressed quality when recording then you're probably better off with FRAPS. If you are okay with slightly compressed quality and want to play with practically no performance loss then ShadowPlay is the way to go. It's pretty simple. Want to record something that just happened that you forgot to record? Hit Alt+F10 (default key) to save it and it will automatically save the last pre-defined amount of minutes configured (default is 5). It also has the ability to manual record for as long as you see fit, also without a performance loss.

And those saying it's not technically supported, actually it is. ShadowPlay is designed to work on any DX9+ game.

Edited by CS14

I used to have problem with shadowplay and dayz working together, but the newest driver fixed the problem. Now shadowplay runs ever so smooth with dayz.

Mine works, sometimes...I have to run the game fullscreen windowed mode to do it. However, it does eat up a lot of hdd space, so I tend to not use it at all- I stream, so if anything notable happens, I edit a highlight from my stream, and then upload it to youtube.

Thanks guys.

I guess we're all kinda friends on here now and you guys can stop hating me a lot!

I will post videos as they come out! 

I use bandicam as the files once saved are far smaller in space for the same recording in fraps

It can take 10 mins to even load files saved by fraps in my movie maker, bandicam takes 10 secs

It's the same for my movie projects too, I've not tried shadow play but bandicam works good enough for me

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior

ShadowPlay is probably the best program I've used so far when it comes to recording. If you want absolute perfect un-compressed quality when recording then you're probably better off with FRAPS. If you are okay with slightly compressed quality and want to play with practically no performance loss then ShadowPlay is the way to go. It's pretty simple. Want to record something that just happened that you forgot to record? Hit Alt+F10 (default key) to save it and it will automatically save the last pre-defined amount of minutes configured (default is 5). It also has the ability to manual record for as long as you see fit, also without a performance loss.

And those saying it's not technically supported, actually it is. ShadowPlay is designed to work on any DX9+ game.

They have a list of officially supported games on there web page dayz aint listed (arma is) when you get the program itself to search for games on your drive it doesnt detect Dayz ( well it didnt on mine) so the statement not officially supported is infact correct( well was of about 3 weeks ago) but yes it supports directx 9 .... It works with many games not on there list but not all.

Facts there not hard to check when your going to dispute something...

Edited by SoulFirez

They have a list of officially supported games on there web page dayz aint listed (arma is) when you get the program itself to search for games on your drive it doesnt detect Dayz ( well it didnt on mine) so the statement not officially supported is infact correct( well was of about 3 weeks ago) but yes it supports directx 9 ....

Figured since it stated on the page where you downloaded it that it supports DirectX9+ it should theoretically work with any game. Have not had any issues with it running in the background and have played some old games.

Edited by CS14

Figured since it stated on the page where you downloaded it that it supports DirectX9+ it should theoretically work with any game. Have not had any issues with it running in the background and have played some old games.

yeah mate it does work with probably 99% ( not actual stat mere expresion of damn near all of them) but its not on there official list which i checked when first getting it.. But everything else you said i AGREE 100% ( statement of actual agreement)

Just make sure that if you're using shadowplay with an SSD to set the temp files to a standard HD or you're gonna kill your solid-state drive.  

I use MSI afterburner 3 beta as it has an awesome pre-record feature (so it caches x minutes of play in ram and records those on demand, so you never miss the action).  It has caused some crashes and minimal performance loss, but the dev for that is an asshole, so don't ask for support on the official support forums (crazy eh?) or you'll be chewed out. 

Once Shadowplay offers PTT on a custom keybind, then I'll likely go back to using it for recording.  

How do I set it up to where it records to the HDD and not my SSD?

Under "recordings" in your preferences.

shadowplay.jpg

does it record in-game only sound? Or would it record teamspeak chatter as well?

Look at the screen shot above.  Aaaand it looks like mic keybinding might work now on the capslocks, so I'll have to try it again.  

• Like 1

Awesome!! Thank you! Last question, how much faster would video transferring/uploading be if I keep it on SSD compared to HDD?

Just make sure that if you're using shadowplay with an SSD to set the temp files to a standard HD or you're gonna kill your solid-state drive.  

Can you explain?

I use it, catch all the action =)

It's not officially supported and sometimes it doesn't want to work.

Hope its not wildly offtopic, I bought Avermedia live gamer HD lite to record gameplay.

What is nice:

Almost zero FPS loss

Recorded stuff is in mp4 so it does not take that much of HDD space

Quality of vid is good

What is not so nice:

You are limited to Full HD only

Connecting everything when you also use USB Headset with mic, can be a problem

Btw I've read that shadowplay can cause some serious lags or performance loss, but maybe they polished it out in new drivers?

I was thinking about buying Nvidia 760 or 770, but in the end I kept my Radeon HD7870 and bought that Avermedia lite, which was kinda cheap (1/4 of the new GPU).

Can you explain?

Shadowplay is always recording, even if it's not saving, but it records to the location of the temp directory.  If this directory is on an SSD drive, then you are putting way too many write-cycles on the drive, which will shorten the life of that drive.  My primary HD is my SSD, but I record to a regular HD on my laptop.  

I mentioned previously that MSI Afterburner has a similar "shadowplay" pre-record feature, but it buffers to ram instead of the HD (you can set it for either way).  This prevents the wear on the SSD drive, but I find it more unstable. 

Shadow play uses Kepler's (GPU codename) dedicated H.264 hardware video encoder. This results in only a ~10% performance hit. The compression is very good as it records 1920x1080 at a rate of 50Mbps. Reviewing a few recorded sessions I was quite impressed with the quality (H.264 @ 50Mbps) This is overkill for streaming or Youtube. Both Twitch and Youtube will compress that 50Mbps down substantially regardless of original quality

There is no dedicated video encoding hardware on AMD graphics cards so the only option is to use Fraps or Bandi cam for recording.

Edited by SIDWULF

I use MSI afterburner 3 beta as it has an awesome pre-record feature (so it caches x minutes of play in ram and records those on demand, so you never miss the action).  It has caused some crashes and minimal performance loss, but the dev for that is an asshole, so don't ask for support on the official support forums (crazy eh?) or you'll be chewed out. 

Once Shadowplay offers PTT on a custom keybind, then I'll likely go back to using it for recording.  

That's a load of crap - Read this - http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4178/10/hardwareinfo-tests-lifespan-of-samsung-ssd-840-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion-final-update-20-6-2013

And the false info coming from this thread - is where the source is - Read the 9th reply for a break down of why that is crap.

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf4/en/forum/threadview/2979150493748182650/

- Why it's crap info you are spreading - 

"So let's calculate the lifespan. We consider the first uncorrectable error to be the end of the SSD. For the first one that was after 764 TiB of written data, and for the second one that was after 768 TiB of written data. That the two failed so close together could indicate that the lifespan of the Samsung 840 SSDs is fairly constant. However, two SSDs aren't representative of the thousands that are out there. 

If we take the 764 TiB and an average of 10 GiB of writes per day, we arrive at a lifespan of 214 years. Keep in mind that we sequentially write and fill the SSD which gives us write amplification factor of only 1.04 or 1.05. That's the difference between the write commands sent to the SSD and the writes executed by the SSD internally. The general assumption is a WAF of around 3.0 for normal consumer use with SSDs that don't employ compression tricks. That translates to a lifespan of 75 years. Even when you push an SSD to the max by downloading lots of movies everyday up to an average of 30 GiB per day, the SSD will still last you 24 years. Nomatter how you use it, it will last longer than the period you plan on using it (most people like to add more capacity after a certain time). A functional lifespan of 10 years is already unusually high for a storage medium.

With an average lifespan of 75 years for the TLC memory chips, consumers have absolutely nothing to worry about. It doesn't mean the SSD will actually last 75 years, but the number of available write cycles will not be the bottleneck. That means we will amend our conclusion from a couple months ago. A Samsung 840 SSD with TLC memory is just as reliable as SSDs with MLC memory, and the type of memory should not be a reason to choose one SSD over another."

SOURCE - 

http://us.hardware.info/reviews/4178/10/hardwareinfo-tests-lifespan-of-samsung-ssd-840-250gb-tlc-ssd-updated-with-final-conclusion-final-update-20-6-2013

Edited by Sinphaltimus