SirStriped

Show names or no?

Players should be able to make a mark on their characters outfit (i.e. on the back of their backpacks / helmets) that makes them easily identifyable to their friends.

I really don't feel that you should know anyones name unless they tell you what it is. I also think that the names from doing things to players should be "unknown", as you won't just know someones name if you handcuff them or force feed them.

I feel that if you get close enough to a player like hand shaking distance then you should be able to see eachothers names. I bring this up today because I was walking along the coast and ran into a new spawn and he sounded familiar. We both recognized we have met before but not where. Shortly after we were in the kamishovo (however it is spelled, next to elektro) talking in direct. Some KoSing scum came along and just shot us. I think it would help build a sense of community in DayZ. Sure some people might change their names but if you play on a server enough you would be able to tell who some others you run into are once in awhile.

no

Because it's not World of Warcraft. I don't want to know your name unless we interact in a positive manner and I decide to add you to my friends list, at which point we can either:

a. Type in chat using the "/" key

b. Trade Steam names via voice communication

The thing is sometimes server crashes or some of you get shot before that moment, And I've wanted to add so many friendly people that died before we could trade or Steam IDs, would be nice to have some sort of auto-notification, but not a name globe

I would prefer to be able to take notes, if someone is close enough and in my line of sight... "guy gave me a bandage", maybe to see existing notes on players I can see i have to open a notebook?

No,

Floating names, as seeing white above someone's head while wearing camo isn't a good thing.

Spamming my idea.

Problems

1. If you lose track of your friends, in other words "split up and go scavenging", there is no non-intrusive way of identifying them again.
  2. There is no way of identifying friendlies through multiple sessions.

Personal identification

I propose a new option. Please note, I hate status messages with a passion. They suck balls but this seems to only way that the DayZ devs want to show in-game information currently. So I propose an advanced "check pulse" feature. The F1 key.

1. Make "friends" via a "handshake" or "high five" action while your cursor is over another nearby player. Status message: "You and <friend> are now friends."
  2. Pressing the wave action (F1) while pointing at a "friend" within 150m. Status message: "You wave at <friend>."
  3. If you wave at someone that isn't your friend no status message should be shown to avoid message spam.
  4. Both the handshake and wave actions should be spammable for those times you encounter a new group in-game.
  5. I integrated another game with the Steam API and I believe Steam friends can only be added via the Steam Overlay. This is something that should probably be supported to improve the social atmosphere of the game. Steam friends should, naturally, also count as in-game friends and support any friend recognition features (e.g. SteamFriends()->HasFriend()).

Non-friendly identification

On private shards, there are people that break the rules. The only way, currently, to identify these rule-breakers is via the "Check pulse" action. If you are handcuffed or otherwise restrained it should still be possible to identify these non-friendlies. I propose that waving (F1) at another player within 10-50 meters automatically identifies that player. Status message: "You stare an <player-name>."

Group identification

For group identification they should really just bring back the Arma 3 hex markers unless they have a better plan. In Arma the hex markers are already fairly non-obtrusive and allow team coordination closer to how we are able to coordinate in real-life. Markers should fade in and out base on line-of-sight. This option should be configurable as both a server- and client-side option for people that feel it intrudes on their immersive experience.

So like i said on my last post above (and on countless other posts),more charachter in deabth customization should be in order.

To be able to tell your "knight in shining armor" you have to recognise him from his armor,not by a floating name above his head

and when you get close you have a text that reads "knight in shining armor".Give the server owners the ability for a real time monitoring maybe,or make the system harder for the hackers.By all means,you are not obliged to agree with my opinion,i want to make a constructive discussion,so i don't just moan no all the time.I think my above posts fully explain why the "floating name idea" is not gonna work.By all means correct me if i'm wrong,I enjoy critisism.

It's been a long time since February...

But my argument hasn't changed,the only thing supporting realistic indefication method,is the implementation of an advanced character customization system.

Sadly,after all this time in the forums,i came to the conclusion that the engine would probably explode if the devs were to try something like that.

Anonimity is realistic,but on the other hand,you would probably recognize someone from his facial features even if you don't know his name.

Take it from me,as an authentic scatter-minded individual i rarely remember my acquaintances names,but i still recognize them.

I can see myself in favor of a spoting mechanic like the one Planetside 2 offers.

When you spot someone,you target him and press the "spot hotkey" to reveal his name.

But unlike Planetside no floating names,just a text message appear on the chat saying: "i spotted....x...."

Let's face it,this mechanic is far from realistic,but i'm in favor of small sacrifices for gameplay's sake.

• Like 1

This seems like a potential gameplay style feature.  How about instead of making it on or off permanently, we give people the option of identifying themselves like that with a name or not.  Just put a checkbox in gameplay and if I want to show everyone who I am, then so be it.  I think this should be a feature you can turn on for people on your Steam friend's list.  I mean, who doesn't wanna see their friends?  Yeah, robbers wanna see their friends too.  So, maybe let the player have a checkbox that allows them to see everyone, let them have a checkbox to just identify themselves in that way for others to see, and/or have it on for steam friends.  

I feel that if you get close enough to a player like hand shaking distance then you should be able to see eachothers names. I bring this up today because I was walking along the coast and ran into a new spawn and he sounded familiar. We both recognized we have met before but not where. Shortly after we were in the kamishovo (however it is spelled, next to elektro) talking in direct. Some KoSing scum came along and just shot us. I think it would help build a sense of community in DayZ. Sure some people might change their names but if you play on a server enough you would be able to tell who some others you run into are once in awhile.

No. Not only would it disrupt the immersion on role-play servers, it would also be against the "simulation" in this zombie apocalypse "simulator". It would make some things easier, but for DayZ. Uhh.. No Thanks. I bet you will get some other good suggestions and topics going, though! But the majority has ruled out this suggestion a loong time ago. But there could be ways to still have this. for example give private hives the ability to enable or disable this feature, give YOU the ability to enable or disable nametags on your person, or others, etc.

But the idea of having this idea be forced upon all players no matter what, (which I realize you did not say) would be a big no, no.

This suggestion is very possible, but veryy unlikely.

~Mouse

/unofficially solved

Edited by therandomredstone