SirStriped

Show names or no?

If you want to know my name. You must ask.

For me it would be enough to recognice the bandit, killer, ghoster, hopper, asshole, troller, wall glitch sitter, nice guy, whoever from like 20 minutes ago even without knowing the name.

It´s up to the developers to show some creativity :-)

Edited by lauda

What about those people who have a negative interaction with? Would you not what to know who they are?

No, I wouldn't. I like not knowing who I am dealing with during every interaction. It forces to you converse, or at the very least engage, on some level.

I would like to see a name when I point my crosshair(dot) on someone.  I don't want their name to always be above their heads or anything but I do want to know who the hell I am interacting with.

I think this would detract from the immersion of the game. The only thing I personally would be cool with, is if when you were close to someone and pressed "P" to bring up the player-list, their name(s) would be highlighted in a different color. This should only be used if someone is being supremely offensive and needs to be reported.

If we want realism but not a bubble with a name on it maybe a name tag? Okay still not very real in a Zombie World but you could only read it face to face and up close. That way you can make allies still but also the bandits could stay secret if they wanted as they always kill you at a distance and in the back anyway.

A name tag is almost as silly as floating text over our heads.

World of warcraft has nothing to do with what I was talking about. WoW you can see it from a mile away. KoSers wouldnt matter, same with ghosters and server hoppers. You have to be in a arms distance to know their name. Same as seeing their face however DayZ has a random respawn as _____ person. One day white, one day, asian, one day white again, one day black, one day black again. etc... etc... et.c...

That's why we have a friends list. A zombie apocalypse wouldn't be an overly friendly community, in my opinion.

And this thread was brought to you by the main sponsor of the DayZ Forum: "I can't use the freakin' search function and post in one of the 500 other threads that exist to this topic" Inc.

This discussion has been made...I think 20 times at least, maybe more...quick search and just copy/paste the results....

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/169482-players-name

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/168804-other-players-names

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/172954-is-there-going-to-be-a-feature-to-tagg-people-as-friendly/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/173179-id-study-body

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/169537-should-player-names-be-added

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/167810-items-my-dayz-standalone-ideas/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/166664-list-of-features-that-would-be-nice-to-have/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/166533-dean-you-like-detailshere-they-are/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/164943-player-badges/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/164044-reconize

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/156669-the-game-needs-nametags

...i stopped there, not because there were no more results, but I wasn't caring to click on page 3 of the search results...

Seriously i'm not gonna bother again,making wall of texts stating why Dayz should not have name system.

It has been discussed sooooo many times in the past that it gets repetative.Botomline is that...

it takes away from the realism.

No to dogtags also,if you want your killer to find about your name,write a note.

Problem is, you would be talking about long range name tags, as you aren't likely to get up close and personal to a hacker, but if that were implemented it would put the gameplay off for the rest of the users. And 99% of so called 'hackers' are people with desync issues, which is an issue because of the sole reason processing is being moved to server side in order to limit what hackers can do in the first place. I think Dean Hall once said that all the client is basically doing is 'rendering the environment and inputting keystrokes.'

I am entirely against any long rang tags, even with a mouse over. It negates hiding in bushes, and allows for easy spotting.

But close range tags, say within a meter or two, where you couldn't fail to see someone, would be nice.

I don't buy the "realism" argument, simply because everyone is essentially an anonymous clone. In "real life," since that's the argument being used, people are distinctive and recognizable. If we're going for "realism," we need a way to make people distinctive, and clothing options simply don't do enough.

why not interact with players?. you find out the name when you ask,force feed, give salin,handcuff and bandage.

whats the problem?...and why is it important to get the name?

I don't buy the "realism" argument, simply because everyone is essentially an anonymous clone. In "real life," since that's the argument being used, people are distinctive and recognizable. If we're going for "realism," we need a way to make people distinctive, and clothing options simply don't do enough.

Maybe more customization options should be in order.You are right about the clone thing,there are limited ingame models to choose from.

Back in the day i was a harcore APB player,in the game you can customize the player choosing from a wide variety of symbols,so noone

was exactly the same,every one was individual and unique.If Dayz mod team introduces a similar system,that would solve our problems....i think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jOY2t2aHB0

Seriously i'm not gonna bother again,making wall of texts stating why Dayz should not have name system.

It has been discussed sooooo many times in the past that it gets repetative.Botomline is that...

it takes away from the realism.

No to dogtags also,if you want your killer to find about your name,write a note.

Seriously also! If a person kills me, trolls me or does other evil things from a reasonable distance, i want to recognice that person again a few minutes or an hour later. I maybe want to take revenge or keep my distance from that player. And i want to share food or ammo with the nice guy i once met or the knight in shiny armour who was searching sticks or morphin for me when i had broken legs. This is realistic interaction and not to be anonymous and unrecogniceable under any circumstances. And once more, it´s not necessarily the name i want to know at first place. Would be nice to report cheaters and maybe notorious exploiters, but you can´t have all. Just a way to know that this person is the same like before.

In my opinion we shouldn´t listen too much at persons which keep writing "no" in threads like this. Very obviously most of them want to be anonym because of the way they want to play, which is maybe not the way it´s meant to be played.

Maybe more examples from this type of player:

"noooooo logout timer"

"noooooo login timer"

"noooooo clicking sounds when joining"

"iiiiinstant zero delay ability to fire when loging in"

"noooooo spawn in the eastern region"

"moooore precise long range weapons"

"wheeere is the long range scope (and of course more of it)"

"moooooore weapons"

"moooooore ammo"

"moooooore Bambis in Elektro" :-)

"weeeeee want our charakter duplication bug back"

"Battle Eye is uuuuuuuuuuuseless shit and bans innocent players"

Not all of this applys to every "no-person" but several of it to most of this people.

But i´m sure Dean knows about this and is trying hard to do the right things.

Some edits above!

Edited by lauda

How is this needed when you can exchange names manually and so easily ? if the person is fine with saying their name well then you have it ? 

Do not see how its needed. Sounds like you forgot to ask his name in all the excitement ^_^

Seriously also! If a person kills me, trolls me or does other evil things from a reasonable distance, i want to recognice that person again a few minutes or an hour later. I maybe want to take revenge or keep my distance from that player. And i want to share food or ammo with the nice guy i once met or the knight in shiny armour who was searching sticks or morphin for me when i had broken legs. This is realistic interaction and not to be anonymous and unrecogniceable under all circusmstances. And once more, it´s not necessarily the name i want to know at first place. Would be nice to report cheaters and maybe notorious exploiters, but you can´t have all. Just a way to know that this person is the same like before.

In my opinion we shouldn´t listen too much at persons which keep writing "no" in threads like this. Very obviously most of them want to be anonym because of the way they want to play, which is maybe not the way it´s meant to be played.

Maybe more examples from this type of player:

"noooooo logout timer"

"noooooo login timer"

"noooooo clicking sounds when joining"

"iiiiinstant zero delay ability to fire when loging in"

"noooooo spawn in the eastern region"

"moooore precise long range weapons"

"wheeere is the long range scope (and of course more of it)"

"moooooore weapons"

"moooooore ammo"

"moooooore Bambis in Elektro" :-)

"weeeeee want our charakter duplication bug back"

"Battle Eye is uuuuuuuuuuuseless shit and bans innocent players"

Not all of this applys to every "no-person" but several of it to most of this people.

But i´m sure Dean knows about this and is trying hard to do the right things.

Some edits above!

So like i said on my last post above (and on countless other posts),more charachter in deabth customization should be in order.

To be able to tell your "knight in shining armor" you have to recognise him from his armor,not by a floating name above his head

and when you get close you have a text that reads "knight in shining armor".Give the server owners the ability for a real time monitoring maybe,or make the system harder for the hackers.By all means,you are not obliged to agree with my opinion,i want to make a constructive discussion,so i don't just moan no all the time.I think my above posts fully explain why the "floating name idea" is not gonna work.By all means correct me if i'm wrong,I enjoy critisism.

I also don´t want floating names. Char customization also is not what i´m thinking of, as long no one is forced to wear certain colors or something. For now you can look different every few minutes and i guess that will not change in the future. And the games style is not to implement various alien races or different pokemon faces for each player.

I don´t have a recipe how this can be solved. I´m fully trusting the creators to find a good solution for everybody.

Only thing i have is my opinion that we need limited anonymity.

Edited by lauda

In real life, you just don't walk up to a person and instantly know their name. You interact with that person, so you should be doing the same in the game. That's why there's a chat + voip feature.

Answer NO

Reason That little piece of data running around will earn his name by what he does and who he becomes.

Maybe an investigate option when ure close. Tells u name and obvious gear/or sick status. When looting a body maybe give a name.

Maybe an investigate option when ure close. Tells u name and obvious gear/or sick status. When looting a body maybe give a name.

Visual cues could be given but not identities.

For example you have a configuration file that contains information that is used by the game to give qualities to the events. Being sick leads to stumbling, slow movement, shaking... so you run into someone who is sick these cues could be translated to you as thoughts just as when you are hungry, thirsty or sick you see this on the side in text. With enough visual cues you could guess many things about a person and if you had run into them before you may even get an idea in text that tells you 'This person looks familiar.' and if you have been told their name you might even get that.

NO!

That was my least favorite thing about the mod. That and when you saw someone in the distance it said (PERSON: soandso meters) ruined the experience. if it comes back I'll be very disappointed.

and a HELL NO to death messages

Edited by MagneticToast

I feel the same way. The "realism" argument just doesnt work for me. Earlier today I met a bunch of dudes and we ended working together for a while. It was still very confusing telling which avatar was speaking and who was who. Where as in real life I could easily tell which person was talking and who was who.  Sometimes you need something to be an abstraction for a real life idea or function. The game already tells us if we are thirsty,hungry, or bleeding with a HUD because we cant feel our character, where as in real life I could tell if I was hungry, thirsty, or bleeding without a little popup in the corner.

I am not saying everyone should have nametags right away but once you all exchange names and add each other as friends their name should pop up above their head. That way you still have to know the person and you cant just tell who someone is if you havent met them before. It should still be short range and basically it would fade at the same rate the direct voice does. This way you still have to be cautious of travellers in the distance until they are close enough for you to recognize them visually as you would in real life. The nametag would simulated that as a replacement for an ability we have in the real world but we lack in DayZ as people are too similar in appearance in game. I would also make it an option you could turn off if you didnt want it.