Sign in to follow this  
willhelm

Gas masks, payday masks, crash helmets

Okay I've been hearing that gas masks somehow instantly mean you're a bandit?

I was held up at balota about a couple of days ago, by about four guys, although my squad outnumbered them 3-1 we asked them why they're shooting at us, they replied "You're bandits, you're wearing gas masks" in all honesty I think they were just looking for a excuse to kill.

GAS MASKS DO NOT MEAN YOU ARE A BANDIT - I AM NOT A BANDIT - I WEAR THEM - PEOPLE REACT SCARED WHEN I WEAR IT - BUT IM STILL FRIENDLY - I JUST LOVE FALLOUT

now on the other hand, payday masks are often a sign of banditry although i do see some randoms pick them up and just think they look cool therefore they put them on. I do shoot on sight if I see someone with a payday mask (except wolf one) due to a bad experience in Elektro.

Pilot helmets?

Apparently these are a sign you are a bandit now? I really don't know, if someone'd be kind enough as to clear this up for me that'd be great, because if it is, then I'll be able to see them a mile away XD

• Like 1

Not sure about gas masks, but full camo and gear make you seem more "military" and thus more likely to shoot. And the payday masks just mean that you're a douchebag, and I'll shoot you to save time if you wear one of those :). 

But, as I'm sure you already know, there are no sure signs that you're a bandit, 

• Like 1

Personally I want to shoot anyone that wears a mask. In the mod you couldnt see a bandits face and in this game I think that side of me carried over. You just look crooked if you where one. Personally only mask you're allowed to have is a burlap sack. Unfortunately I am friendly so I end up dieing a lot to people with masks because I have a rule of trying to talk to EVERY player I see. However if 1 shot is fired I will shoot them. If they point their gun at me mid conversation or won't put it down I will shoot. Never trust a guy in a mask. Just my opinion.

Edited by SirStriped

To be honest, it's mostly "BS". It doesn't have to tell the others one bit about your personality, it's just what the people that see you assume.

I play in a giant group that has a military background in the game and also various actual military (former or present) members in the group. So you'd assume they actually aim for not just a military way of doing certain things but also a certain identical look. My point: Good / friendly people wearing military gear and even masks. Gas masks also add some slight camo to your face, dunno about the glasses on certain graphic settings though. Not to mention already existing or potential upcoming features for certain masks.

On the other hand, the guy that's totally friendly and nice looking might axe your face in. Why not? Could be a bandit that died and is just gearing up. Or someone fooling people. While the totally armed nice guy is just trying to survive with good gear.

So, depending on where and when you play and what kind of people you meet, gear doesn't have to mean everything. The only thing I'd agree to is that by chance or on average, fully geared people in general MIGHT be more scared. Some could be too attached to their loot they invested time in or are just out to kill people.

But it's not like a KOSer has a "uniform". Yet.

Whilst it might not be true that bandits wear gas masks.

I like the fact that the concept has arisen. 

It means by the powers of self-organization we have generated a method for identifying bandits. A method which is as uncertain and vague as it should be.

• Like 1

Perceptions change based on previous experiences. Every encounter I have had with someone wearing a gas mask has resulted in my death which, on all but one occasion, was facilitated by bullets without any prior verbal contact. Therefore, for me, gasmask = douchey bandit shitwipe that will be shot if they so much as flinch in my direction.

• Like 1

Gas mask does not necessarily mean bandit but quite often it does, some nice people may wear payday masks but I wouldn't trust anyone in one. Some people try to dress friendly looking and some people try to look bandity but you can't judge a book by it's cover.

I personally don't wear masks or helmets because I think they make you look more banditesque but we are all different, it's not like there is or could be a rule about it. Besides even if it was an unwritten rule bandits wear masks, Heros wear cowboy hats, you would still get some bandits in cowboy hats in disguise or some non bandits in masks because they didn't know.

When they add Anonymous mask (Guy Fawkes) I hope that wont mean that person is bandit coz I'll wear it 24/7 and I am not a bandit :D

With gasmasks...I almost shoot, with those idiotic looking klown-thingies...you're a bandit, or something  that just needs to be putt out of misery. 

Ballistic helmets protect you, Assault vests give slots, etc... those are not good bandit indicators. I always take an Ushanka over a Helmet, but I would take a Helmet over nothing.

However, I would never use masks. They look ugly, give nothing, and people will be shooting you because, you know, you cover up your face.

If you don't want to be shot, you'll have to ditch the mask or try to convince me that you are friendly before I raise my weapon...

I wear a gas mask under my motorbike helmet, it looks really awesome because the respirator part of it sticks out. Looks pretty keel.

i also wear the gas mask and im mostly friendly especially to fresh spawns, but i really like the idea behind the whole gas mask-bandit concept

I equate pants with banditry. If you're wearing pants, you're probably a bandit.

Shirts too. If you're wearing a shirt? You're probably a bandit.

And shoes? EVERY BANDIT THAT'S KILLED ME HAS BEEN WEARING SHOES. A man in shoes killed my cat and at my dog.

• Like 1

I equate pants with banditry. If you're wearing pants, you're probably a bandit.

Shirts too. If you're wearing a shirt? You're probably a bandit.

And shoes? EVERY BANDIT THAT'S KILLED ME HAS BEEN WEARING SHOES. A man in shoes killed my cat and at my dog.

... Bandits, they drink my beer

Cats and a dogs kill my shoes

All down the line

Not any of them know what it's worth

No reason to get excited

The thief he kindly spoke...

I wear the painters mask/respirator, I only wear it because of the little bit of roleplay I do, because in my mind you have to stay healthy and stay away from germs and infection. :)

I'm waiting for a purpose for the gas masks. Then this misconception will go. Right now I've been killed by gas masked people, but also helped. Wow, a mask covers your face in game. That face shows no emotion, how would it help you seeing it. How do you know I got something to hide just because I have a gas mask. I've killed people because I had to while wearing a beanie. Payday ones yes, I find them stupid, but the gas mask is okay.

Edited by DontGoToBalotaAlone