Sign in to follow this  
helcol

Spawned at three valleys...

I decided to play Dayz on a high pop. server to have a good time with player interaction, As I spawn on the coast, I attempt to run inland to get some supplies. Before I can even reach the barn, a fully kitted man told me to get on the ground.

"Any last words" he told me. 

"Have fun wasting all your ammo" I replied knowing he was telling me to get on the ground to get a good shot.

After a mosin report, before I respawned, he said, "Nah, I have enough ammo to start WW3" 

This is a problem in my eyes, I knew he was telling the truth, he probably did have enough ammo to kill, theoretically, 50 other fresh spawns like me.

Right now, on my current life, I have way too much stock piled ammo, I am almost fully kitted out, and I have no food/water problem whatsoever. If I suddenly wanted to go kill fresh spawns on the coast (which I would not do), I would definitely have enough ammo to kill, theoretically, at least 50 too (2 bullets for 1 player). The abundance of ammo in Dayz doesn't show the supposed "scarcity" that results from a zombie apocalypse.

I think the influx of 7.62 ammo in the game is due to the fact that the SKS has been added, but the amount of ammo I find for 7.62 is absolutely ridiculous! It is way to common.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

There is a lot of ammo in the game and you rarely have the chance to use it I find.

Can you imagine a zombie apocalypse in the US? There would be enough weaponry and ammunition to last each person twenty years lol.

• Like 2

LOL, I axe murdered a sniper in elektro last night, as a freshie with just that axe...when me and my buddy looted him, he had a full military kit- TTSkO tops and bottom, vest, hunting backpack...and almost every slot had a 20-stack of mosin ammo. no food, no water, just ammo out the ass.

honestly, it aint hard to amass that much ammo, if you spend the time to travel and loot. just takes time. spend a couple of hours running and its quite easy to get hundreds of rounds, even in a high pop server.

i have tons of ammo...

killing fresh spawns feels bad tough.... 

I just think that their is way to much 7.62, I would propose to remove the box and make it in piles of 5 ammo rather than boxes of 20...or is there a better idea out there?

Also, I believe finding a cartridge, gunpowder, primer, and an ammo making kit should allow the player to create ammo (but only when, or if, the ammo becomes as scarce as food in an already looted town.

Just remember that we still haven't gotten to the stages where fully kitted players actually have something to do, like fixing cars or choppers, and setting up bases. I think there will be more geared on geared combat once those things come about.

Edited by Hells High

Boxes could have a random amount rather than 20 rounds constantly?

Open box to find 1 round of ammo .. like piles but at least we get to admire the pretty art work xD

• Like 2

LOL, I axe murdered a sniper in elektro last night, as a freshie with just that axe...when me and my buddy looted him, he had a full military kit- TTSkO tops and bottom, vest, hunting backpack...and almost every slot had a 20-stack of mosin ammo. no food, no water, just ammo out the ass.

honestly, it aint hard to amass that much ammo, if you spend the time to travel, loot and server hop.  spend a couple of hours server hopping and its quite easy to get hundreds of rounds, even in a high pop server.

Fixed

Edited by Caboose187

My character has been alive for 4 days now, and I have roughly 80 rounds of Mosin ammunition, partly found laying about and partly taken off of wanna-be LEET SNIPAHS that I countersnipe when they miss me by 15 feet. I enjoy having "insurance", if you will. If there was the option of making stashes, I would bury roughly 2/3 of that in a heartbeat.

Fixed

You changed the original context of his quote, destroying the value of quoting, and you are implying that I, and others like myself, server hop to find guns/ammo, I play Dayz legitimately and I still find way to much 7.62 ammo.

People who server hop are like reckless drivers, they think they are saving a minute when they preform their actions, but end up leaving everyone waiting because of their actions...

They need to add more zombies. If there is thousands of zombies in military bases or big cities, you will be forced to use more ammo on zombies. Right now you can save your ammo for people and just axe the zombies,

• Like 1

honestly, it aint hard to amass that much ammo, if you spend the time to travel, loot and server hop.  spend a couple of hours server hopping and its quite easy to get hundreds of rounds, even in a high pop server.

Fixed

Bull crap. You can cross the map and back in two hours, once you start remembering specific woods and hills, and there are plenty of weapon and ammo spawning buildings scattered across the interior. They're called barns. They're called construction sites. Even the handful of nice houses spawn ammo.

I love how "server-hopper" and "combat-logger" are just basically synonyms for "jerk I disagree with," instead of describing actually behavior. Maybe you can't go from fresh spawn to badass in two or three hours, but that doesn't mean other people haven't figured out the system, WITHOUT having to hop servers. Or is anyone that doesn't join the nearest 39/40 server, and stay on it all day, a server hopper?

• Like 4

I recon ammo should be ultra rare. I think it would cut down banditry a bit and may even encourage more friendly interaction and even trading between characters.

• Like 1

Bull crap. You can cross the map and back in two hours, once you start remembering specific woods and hills, and there are plenty of weapon and ammo spawning buildings scattered across the interior. They're called barns. They're called construction sites. Even the handful of nice houses spawn ammo.

I love how "server-hopper" and "combat-logger" are just basically synonyms for "jerk I disagree with," instead of describing actually behavior. Maybe you can't go from fresh spawn to badass in two or three hours, but that doesn't mean other people haven't figured out the system, WITHOUT having to hop servers. Or is anyone that doesn't join the nearest 39/40 server, and stay on it all day, a server hopper?

Elektrozavodsk → Chernogorsk → Chapaevsk → south-western airstrip → Balota → military base north of Kamenka → Zelenogorsk → Green Mountain → military base south-east of Vybor → Vybor → north-western airfield

I generally do that when I'm bored and none of my friends are on. When I get to NWAF, I generally log out for an hour or so to clear my head and do something else. When I get back on, I repeat the same thing in reverse. I don't consider it server-hopping as it takes me much longer than the thirty minute cooldown to complete, and like I said, I generally take 45-60 minutes to stretch and clear my head.

• Like 2

I recon ammo should be ultra rare. I think it would cut down banditry a bit and may even encourage more friendly interaction and even trading between characters.

it would just increase the amount of axe murderers.

Fixed

Coming from a guy who has probably never done  what grimey says below.

Elektrozavodsk → Chernogorsk → Chapaevsk → south-western airstrip → Balota → military base north of Kamenka → Zelenogorsk → Green Mountain → military base south-east of Vybor → Vybor → north-western airfield

I generally do that when I'm bored and none of my friends are on. When I get to NWAF, I generally log out for an hour or so to clear my head and do something else. When I get back on, I repeat the same thing in reverse. I don't consider it server-hopping as it takes me much longer than the thirty minute cooldown to complete, and like I said, I generally take 45-60 minutes to stretch and clear my head.

This is pretty much what I do, if I get the south shore spawn. Of course I do it in a low pop server, I have no intent to play suicidal pantless assclown running through the southern cities- but I stay in that server until it resets, or until I get to NWAF when I decide whether or not I want to trek to NEAF.

After I am geared, will I hop? Maybe, maybe not. If its my own server I just geared up on, and I get the crew in, we will populate the server and hunt. If I am soloing, of course I will hop- what the hell am I gonna do on a 3/30 server? And when I hop, I don't have to wait for a timeout.

None of this changes the fact that even on a 40/40, if you can stay alive long enough to make the trip, you can get fully geared if you take the time to travel.

Just remember that we still haven't gotten to the stages where fully kitted players actually have something to do, like fixing cars or choppers, and setting up bases. I think there will be more geared on geared combat once those things come about.

Or being 'fully kitted in choice gear' is actually a thing that you can do in less than an hour and a half.

Yes, there is too much ammo atm.

But that's perfectly normal for this stage, because how should we be able to test weapons/damage/health system/medic system if ammo was rare?

And that's what we do atm: Testing to find bugs, glitches, exploits, make suggestions etc. (and yes, this was an eloquent way to say :"Alpha." I'll just explain it from now on instead of one-wording it.) As the OP stated: This tiem 7.62 is so common because the SKS got introduced. I don't say have patience or wait or something like that, just remember why you play (=test) the game now.

I'm pretty sure, ammo will be very rare in some months...at least as rocket stated that all military weapons will be super-rare when the "improvised weapons" (throwing, bows, etc.) get introduced...

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 3

See, and this honestly doesn't even look anything like my route, which is based more on convenience and familiarity than efficiency. I don't even hit most of what's on your list, and I find just about everything that I'm aware of as being in the game, and with little "hopping." I'd hardly even switch servers if they didn't restart every couple of hours, with no warning whatsoever.

If someone is so bad at the game that they just stay in one spot and hop from server to server, they're probably not much of a threat to a player that knows how to stalk and wait, or not silhouette themselves on ridges, or knows that a ditch is better concealment than a forest with no overgrowth, and understands the difference between cover and concealment.

It kinda reminds me of the videos on YouTube of hackers from the mod spawning choppers, and then immediately crashing them because they hadn't learned how to fly. This game punishes cheaters on its own, and will do a better job of it as it reaches completion. A noob with an M4 and an ACOG is still a noob. If anything, they should be looked at as mobile ammo depots or elusive, shy curiosities.

This is no long-term problem because of 2 things.

1) There will be more endgame content, aka geared or any players will have more to do in the future and

2) Certain gear (and ammo I presume) might be more rare in the future

It might be annoying now, but will change one way or the other.

I decided to play Dayz on a high pop. server to have a good time with player interaction, As I spawn on the coast, I attempt to run inland to get some supplies. Before I can even reach the barn, a fully kitted man told me to get on the ground.

"Any last words" he told me. 

"Have fun wasting all your ammo" I replied knowing he was telling me to get on the ground to get a good shot.

After a mosin report, before I respawned, he said, "Nah, I have enough ammo to start WW3" 

This is a problem in my eyes, I knew he was telling the truth, he probably did have enough ammo to kill, theoretically, 50 other fresh spawns like me.

Right now, on my current life, I have way too much stock piled ammo, I am almost fully kitted out, and I have no food/water problem whatsoever. If I suddenly wanted to go kill fresh spawns on the coast (which I would not do), I would definitely have enough ammo to kill, theoretically, at least 50 too (2 bullets for 1 player). The abundance of ammo in Dayz doesn't show the supposed "scarcity" that results from a zombie apocalypse.

I think the influx of 7.62 ammo in the game is due to the fact that the SKS has been added, but the amount of ammo I find for 7.62 is absolutely ridiculous! It is way to common.

What do you guys think?

I think you should have tried knocking him out instead of complying with his orders. Since he was wielding a Mosin and his behaviour suggests lack of skills, you basically had the upper hand.

Regarding your thoughts on ammo, there is definitely more ammo spawning than should be for a survival game. But I'm rather confident that that is solely for testing purposes. They've added the SKS and thus the 7.62x39mm ammo for that has been added (which is partly why you may see so much 7.62, not all of it is for the Mosin). For some reason it seems the .45 rounds are the most abundant (while mags for that has grown even more scarce than they already were), at least it has been with my last couple of characters, closely followed by the .357 rounds.

Aynway, I am sure the current amount of ammo spawning will eventually, perhaps gradually be lowered and lowered, and combined with the introduction of more and more guns and more types of ammo, it will grow more and more difficult to find the correct type of ammo for the gun you have found. The current situation of course does have the unfortunate side effects of the noobs going to the coast killing newspawns, but again, that is also part of the testing process and it will pass with the changed circumstances.

• Like 2

I think you should have tried knocking him out instead of complying with his orders. Since he was wielding a Mosin and his behaviour suggests lack of skills, you basically had the upper hand.

Exactly, He's down killing new spawns and your compliance just makes it easier, do the zig zag, try punching him out he's gonna kill you anyway what do you have to lose?

I think you're probably seeing an influx of the 7.62x51 ammo because it's no longer just the Mosin that fires it. Now the B95 uses the same ammo, so they most likely upped the spawn rate a bit to account for that

I think you're probably seeing an influx of the 7.62x51 ammo because it's no longer just the Mosin that fires it. Now the B95 uses the same ammo, so they most likely upped the spawn rate a bit to account for that