boonaroony

ethics of first kill

"Ethics" are like social justice, it just does not exist in the world of DayZ.  All of us have been turned into KoSers by KoSers.

That's strange because I spawned in and there were 3 guys, heavily armed right next to me. Asked me for food or whatever, I said no. And while I was running off one of them killed me.

May of been the same 3. :O

"Ethics" are like social justice, it just does not exist in the world of DayZ. 

Nor should they.

• Like 1

After playing for a week or so on dayz now, I've turned into a heartless bastard.

Too many times have I been killed by people who acted friendly to start with.

Too many times have I been killed by people who appeared to ignore me and then turn on me and shoot when my back was turned.

Now I kill on sight.If i see someone with basic gear, still trying to get their stuff together, I still kill on sight. This person is just going to be my murderer when they find a weapon of their own.

thats just messed up i think your to trusting you dont have to kos but you can be very mean and keep them away never let them follow and help if they need it but walk away with a eye on them 

I have been impressed by the way day z makes you think about your actions. The other day I killed for the first time.

I was typing a message to a friend on stream when my character starting making noises. I got back into game and some guy was punching me for no reason so I had to shoot him (I have no issue with this kill).

10 min later, I was running down a road in a town and came across 3 guys all running towards me about 100 m away with guns out. I jumped behind a building and then poked my head around the corner to see them stood in the road about 50m away looking around. they looked threatening so I shot one of them and he died. The other two ran away. I did not go near the body because I feared a trap/reprisals.

What is everyones view on the morality of this? I probably could have run away/hid, and have pondered this since it happened. They did seem to be a significant threat however...how would you have dealt with this situation?

I played the mod for over a year, and standalone for over 200 hours, I have killed and been killed countless times, I have tried every approach I could think of towards DayZ, there was only one I really enjoyed though. Bandit. (And only surviving on beans for as long as I can)

I have met three friendly people and one survivor in Elektro(who who I later found on the police station with a .22) I suddenly started hearing shots and thought that he had opened fire on me, but then they suddenly stopped. I decided to check the police station a for a scope that I had left there (I am a hoarder, I have a bi pod, a stock, a scope and two mags for a gun that I don't have but am trying to find) and (not knowing that that was were he was shooting from) went up. There I found his body (and even though it is not supposed to be possible) a group of three zombies surrounding him. I axed the zombie and considered taking his rifle. I didn't. Most of the bandits in my server are around Barenzino so it's pretty safe to run around the coast since there are mostly hero's and newspawns. Oh, and i once held a guy up whilst my legs were broken...LOL. Luckily he was a friendly and helped me with some morphine. 

I'm off topic now...

I see posts and always here people talking about turning into a heartless bastard or just a complete jerk after a certain amount of time playing this game due to other players killing you so much.

Why? Why would you want to contribute? We need more players that don't KoS. Why would you just give into that and turn into one of them?

There are ways to not die to other players in this game. If you fine them first, then you have the power over what happens. Not them. So don't just fucking murder them because you had a couple bad experiences in your first days.

Yeah, we need people that KoS because it's part of the game, but we don't need more

I saw the first reply (or so) and the guy said that he "turned into a heartless bastard a week into the game" because of "how many times he was killed by another player" and that he killed players with little gear because "they are just going to turn into his murderer one day". WTF? 

This needs to end. If you are truly a good person, play the game like you are, imho. Amazing social interactions are possible in this game, and we are not able to experience them because of people that don't think about their actions.

Killing on sight is never going to end as long as we have weak players that decide to do it because of how many times they were killed as freshies.

Edited by angel_eyes42

In this particular case, I think you did the right thing. I still try to remain neutral or lean hero depending on the situation, but if I saw 3 guys running at me with guns and NO sign of being friendly, I would have have done the same.  Whenever I see a player at or near my equipment level, I always give a verbal warning that they are in my sights, but that I'm friendly. Judging from their reactions, I'll lower my weapon and either help or be on my way, but whenever I see a fully geared group of players, I assume they are bandits looking for kills and will avoid or kill if necessary.

To be fair you do what you do, I met a guy who was Friendly, he thought I was going to kill him once we got to the Airfield, I thought he would kill me. But he never, so I guess that was luck but when I was in the airfield after this guy I met logged out a guy met behind me, bleeding near death most likely, he had a axe out so I had to take care of what could happen, so I knocked him out with a Axe, make sure you ALWAYS hit them a few times while on the ground cause this guy got up and tried attacking me, luckly I broke his legs this time and killed him

Guilty until proven innocent, IMO!

Generally speaking, I won't KOS if I don't perceive a threat. If you start talking before I can kill you then I'll probably hear you out.

I assume everybody I don't know will shoot me for no reason. You better be good at not getting a gun pointed at you because I won't lose any sleep over ventilating a dude's head.

Possibly jaded from hackers, bandits, and other people just like myself. Pretty much over it though, been murdered by people as a new spawn/bambi so many times it doesn't even matter anymore. I love this game.

This is a survival game first and foremost. You should play the game in a manner which gives you the best chance of survival. One very viable strategy is to kill people for their supplies or to eliminate a possible threat. 

What I dislike is people who intentionally go out to kill people for no reason and it doesn't benefit them. 

If you're in Berezino sniping noobs with no gear as they spawn, you're not killing to get supplies and benefit yourself, you're killing for the sake of killing, in which case this is the wrong game for you.

Edited by GeorgieBest

Why? Why would you want to contribute? We need more players that don't KoS. Why would you just give into that and turn into one of them?

There are ways to not die to other players in this game. If you fine them first, then you have the power over what happens. Not them. So don't just fucking murder them because you had a couple bad experiences in your first days.

Yeah, we need people that KoS because it's part of the game, but we don't need more.

I saw the first reply (or so) and the guy said that he "turned into a heartless bastard a week into the game" because of "how many times he was killed by another player" and that he killed players with little gear because "they are just going to turn into his murderer one day". WTF?

This needs to end. If you are truly a good person, play the game like you are, IMHO.....

Great question! The answer is very simple.

There are no rules, and more importantly, no one gets hurt. You play dayz knowing you could die, yet you play anyway.

Great question! The answer is very simple.

There are no rules, and more importantly, no one gets hurt. You play dayz knowing you could die, yet you play anyway.

Well yeah, obviously. 

It's still douche-baggy. I don't actually get irritated over it, I am just extremely disappointed in people that turn into bandits just because they were killed so many times by others. It's weak. It's easy to play the game and KoS. It's hard, rewarding, fun, interesting, fulfilling, and simply awesome to play the game as a hero.