Sign in to follow this  
DemonGroover

The Fun of Clans?

Large groups would be sick, so many possibilities. Vehicluar convoys, landmines, minesweepers and the like. Although we do have to remember this is a zombie apocalypse, so of course larger groups would have to attract more zombies. Seeing as players can spot a large group of players better from farther away, why doesn't the same apply to zombies? They just have a set "range" to sight.

That is an interesting point. I think understanding the way sight works would help this issue.

Now the point that people are making about large groups being easier to see, is related to noticing movement.

One person moving stealthy from cover to cover is difficult to see because you would need to focus your attention on one area.

A large group of people cannot use the cover system as well, this makes it a lot easier to notice them with just a glance in the direction.

The key word is focus.

Now the way Zombies work in the game is by sight and sound maybe. They have a set range as you put it. They would not have varying degrees of focus.

So, Im not agreeing or disagreeing, just trying to aid in understanding.

But it seems that there are 3 things here. Human biology and psycology(sp), Zombie biology and psycoloy(sp), and Programming code.

I am not an expert in any of those fields, and it seems I have confused myself trying to explain this stuff lol

Well i guess a group of 10-12 men does not need to be stealthy ;)

(but i have never seen such a large group)

because everyone who attacks them commits suicide.

Not true, we've been around with about 8-13 ppl and everyone needs to be stealthy. Losing one person ist changing alot. Ok Ok, you got a group of ppl running into Town or looting the dead bodies but in general ppl are same carefully as they would been solo.

Have fun =)

We usually have 3-4 and it's because they're my mates. I'm guessing this is the same, however 10 is too much as youll constantly get the "WHOSE THAT!!!"

That is an interesting point. I think understanding the way sight works would help this issue.

Now the point that people are making about large groups being easier to see, is related to noticing movement.

One person moving stealthy from cover to cover is difficult to see because you would need to focus your attention on one area.

A large group of people cannot use the cover system as well, this makes it a lot easier to notice them with just a glance in the direction.

The key word is focus.

Now the way Zombies work in the game is by sight and sound maybe. They have a set range as you put it. They would not have varying degrees of focus.

Dude, that's exactly what I'm saying. I think that [in the far future] zombies should be able to "notice" a bigger group of moving around humans who are together as a distinctly bigger target from further away, like humans have the ability to do. They should have a greater set range for seeing bigger moving things.

Dude, that's exactly what I'm saying. I think that [in the far future] zombies should be able to "notice" a bigger group of moving around humans who are together as a distinctly bigger target from further away, like humans have the ability to do. They should have a greater set range for seeing bigger moving things.

The difference between Ingame Zombies and humans in this scenario, is the interpretation of input, and also ability to focus.

Zombies interpretation of input, is coded. This means that, for any given input there is a defined output.

Humans interpretation of input, is variable. This means that, for any given input, there is a thought process that determines what that input is, there is not neccessarily an output. Any output would have to go through another thought process to determine the course of action. This as I said is variable because there are occasions that training and muscle memory comes into play. In this case, it is similar to the Zombie.

Zombies do not have focus. They have a set range.

Humans have focus, their current focus determines how difficult or easy it is to see something at a certain distance.

Edited by Skyline-GTR

The difference between Ingame Zombies and humans in this scenario, is the interpretation of input, and also ability to focus.

Zombies interpretation of input, is coded. This means that, for any given input there is a defined output.

Humans interpretation of input, is variable. This means that, for any given input, there is a thought process that determines what that input is, there is not neccessarily an output. Any output would have to go through another thought process to determine the course of action. This as I said is variable because there are occasions that training and muscle memory comes into play. In this case, it is similar to the Zombie.

Zombies do not have focus. They have a set range.

Humans have focus, their current focus determines how difficult or easy it is to see something at a certain distance.

I think other guy means the set range should vary. It could vary on a number of factors, player proximity to another player (that could stack to enable large groups to be seen more easily by zeds) also player proximity to concealment ect ect.

I dont see the appeal of this either. The only fun that can be had in a 10 man group if you ask me is if you get in a shootout with another 10 man group. But then again, how often will this happen on the community hive? This can probably only work on a private hive where 2 or more clans are playing consistently and are trying to battle each other over resources.

I dont see the appeal of this either. The only fun that can be had in a 10 man group if you ask me is if you get in a shootout with another 10 man group. But then again, how often will this happen on the community hive? This can probably only work on a private hive where 2 or more clans are playing consistently and are trying to battle each other over resources.

That's something I really really want to see.

I think other guy means the set range should vary. It could vary on a number of factors, player proximity to another player (that could stack to enable large groups to be seen more easily by zeds) also player proximity to concealment ect ect.

He might well have been. I was simply providing information as to how the current system works, so to enable him to analyse and suggest an alternative.

I think your stacking idea is good, while the concealment thing might be hard to define.

Thats exactly what happens on private servers, and one of the reasons i carnt wait for them to arrive. In the mod we had maybe 4 groups of around 6-10 players and it was great. Some groups had pacts with others to leave there camps alone, but if you meet randomly its game on. Sometimes we would find a camp.....then spend ages trying to find out whos it was and if we should destroy it or not. Some clans formed outright alliances on the fly to battle with other clans. Thats what Dayz is to me, long term survival and interaction, way beyond just hadcuffing someone or whatever.

• Like 1

We once filled a hole server with 30 slots.

Okay, that was a bit excessive and a one-time thing for training. But average numbers for ops and such are usually 10 - 15, for any other stuff 3-7 on average. Just guessing.

Why, to get to the original question? It's fun. With the clan (CQF) being friendly, it makes your mission to assist anyone who's willing easier. In turn, strength in numbers. But bigger groups tend to become bigger / easier targets, too. So you also have a challenge of getting through with little to no casualties. Also, organization and training of a large group or organization is also part of it.

In short, it's just a very different experience compared to only playing alone or with 1 friend at best.

Edited by Combine
  • Like 2

sometimes i run solo sometimes i run with my arma clan. we usually number between 8 to 12 players the method we usually use is 2 main colums 200 yards apart(side by side) with 1 man on point( 3 to 4 hundred yards in front) and 1 rear guard.(200 yards further back)

we split coms between the 2 main groups with a third command channel that collum leads and point and rear use. with a solo point man we can maintain stealth usually as he is the most effective spotter so he feeds info to collum leads who then order accordingly there men into position to flank any possible combatants. rear guard is main medic carrying supplies and each collum man carries basics with 1 allocated imediate medic eg carry salines etc.

This way we maintain a certain level of stealth are able to respond with deadly force to almost any  ambush and can easily control small towns for easy looting. it makes the game fun as we must move with purpose as food is a constant need for a group this size yes if things run low we will resort to banditry hint if we hold you up give us your food and leave or you will die(maybe you take some with you but you will die)

Honestly I prefer playing in a group. I feel like strength in numbers makes the game less boring during your travels plus a few extra set of eyes on the landscape never hurt as well. 3 to 4 man teams sound idea but I can't wait to play with 8 to 10. Nothing is more relaxing than looting an airfield knowing you have 3 snipers watching your ass. Yay teamwork!

Honestly I prefer playing in a group. I feel like strength in numbers makes the game less boring during your travels plus a few extra set of eyes on the landscape never hurt as well. 3 to 4 man teams sound idea but I can't wait to play with 8 to 10. Nothing is more relaxing than looting an airfield knowing you have 3 snipers watching your ass. Yay teamwork!

8-10 is perfect =)

Just a quick question - Can anyone explain to me what the attraction of roaming the wastes of Chernarus in a 10 man group is?

I'm not knocking it - i am just curious.

Safety, Security, Intimidation, Domination

It seems to me that the craziest shit happens when I'm with a group or a few friends. I swear when I'm alone it's pretty quiet and boring. Always missing the action, just a pile of corpses littering the ground.

I understand but some of these groups i see are 10-12 men strong.

A group like that cannot be stealthy and can be see a mile away.

How i long for grenades and satchel charges....

I disagree with you.  A large group of players can easily be as stealthy as a solo player can.  They may have to spread out or use different formations, but it is still entirely possible.

Answer is simply fear, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I am scared if I play on my own, but I feel much safer with people around. + the more people the more fun it's gonna be to play.

I think with bases coming in the future, grouping will play a vital role to your survival when things get harder (weather effects, better zombies, less guns ect)

Just a quick question - Can anyone explain to me what the attraction of roaming the wastes of Chernarus in a 10 man group is?

if 9 are unconscious / bleeding, one can bandage / IV them, and help them back on their feet.

its also quite effective against those 4/5 people squads that played arma together for years, and are out to kill you

I think the term clan was cooked up by gamers because "club" didn't feel badass enough :D

anything more than 4 is a pain in the ass to organize and get your bearings with. You will lose someone in every engagement. 

3-4 including myself is the perfect number (at least in my opinion) once you've all gotten comfortable with each other.