Wayze

Do we want a reward for surviving?

Do we want a reward for surviving?  

346 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a reward for surviving?

• Yes
    • No

Oh wow! >.>

I'm pretty amazed that "yes" got so many votes.

I think the end goal is to create a gritty hardcore risk management survival game that doesn't lend you free handouts.

I do see a problem with your poll tho.

It is so vague...

I can take a wild guess that you will get a Yes vote, given that greed is human nature.

The question could be anything, with the poll being do you want reward or no, you would still get a yes vote in most cases.

not bragging, just to say that I made this prediction, right after the poll was made.

If beards will be the reward for male characters - what will happen to the ladies? Overgrowth of armpits and legs?

If kit (stuff) is the only objective, then DayZ will never be a survival game. If you are robbed down to your underwear and it's more beneficial to suicide and start again, then it makes a mockery of "survival at all costs".

Therefore, there needs to be some kind of longer term development of your character's ability or fitness, in order to give them value and promote survival over kit accumulation. Survival may be its own reward, but a character that has survived for tens, scores or hundreds of game-hours should be better able to achieve further survival - even when left naked in the woods - than a freshly arrived new-spawn with jeans and flashlight.

Edited by Pillock

Since when was kit(stuff) the only objective?

Kit(stuff) would be useless on its own.

Kit(stuff) is to aid in the games objective, survival.

Edited by Skyline-GTR

Well, it's the most obvious objective: it's the only way to "develop" your character at the moment.

Physical attributes would give the game more diversity and depth; it would make people value their "life" more; it forces players to engage with the well-being of their character more; it discourages reckless combat (and thereby should reduce senseless killing); it reduces the incentive to server-hop; importantly, it's intuitive and it makes sense to the scenario!

Yes, but.

You can spawn, having died, and get back to full kit (to help your survival) within an hour - as if you hadn't died. And I think that's wrong.

I think there needs to be a more tangible benefit to keeping your character alive for a long time, beyond mere bragging rights. And long-term development of physical attributes is the most obvious way, for me, that the game could achieve this. That is the "reward" for surviving that I'd like to see - no "skill points" or XP grinding, but just a big fleshing out of the character health mechanics to give noticeable benefits to a long-lived and well-maintained character. That's the way I'd like to see the game go as development continues.

I would love to bring a character progression / reward system that gives slight rewards for many hours play.

Survivalist gear could be similar to breaking point ~ Survive for 5+ in game days, and neutral humanity,

Hero / Bandit outfits would be awesome too. Give us something to work towards, and some basic starting items if you level up, very basic, im talking, no gun or melee, just a different hat or pants

NO

Your reward for surviving is being alive... be thankful you have that.

God you guys want to be handed as much stuff as you can get your damn greedy hands on!!

Stop trying to be spoon fed and play the damn game!!

Edited by nvrsbr

beards and braids. and braided beards.

gqVnQVy.jpg

Edited by e47
  • Like 1

serious, it would be something if we can get away from the whole Call of faggot deathmatch master l33t haxx0r gameplay and think about how to turn this zombie genocide up!

Iam pretty damn sure the basic idea behind DAYZ wasnt to have a friggin Deathmatch in a very very big arena

I have never experienced the rampant deathmatch that some folks claim. Pure and simple it comes down to 1 of 2 playstyles.

Either you seek the deathmatch or you make yourself available to be a victim of the deathmatch.  Either way it is a choice

The potential for deathmatch will always be there. It is a part of the nature of the game, the nature of open world PvP.  It does not have to be the major focus of anyone's game.

That is an unfair and rather xenophobic remark.

My priority's are as they would be in real life. Food, Clothing, Shelter, protection. When my basic needs are met I expand to help those around me as best I can.

Food is STUFF. Without it I will starve.

Clothing is STUFF. Without it I will freeze, and not be able to carry food.

Shelter is ... well its a thing but it falls under STUFF, to make sure I dont die in the woods alone at night.

Protection can be best achieved by weapons, STUFF. I can defend my food, shelter, and those who can not defend them-self.

Its convenient that you seem to bash Americans, but you offer no alternatives to 'stuff'. But Ill do you one better. By gaining the ability to defend myself, and finding extra ... stuff... I can choose to interact with people in such a way to offer real help, or defend myself if needed. Non of which is possible without stuff. Therefore, stuff enables people to have meaningful interaction, because the people who have stuff have an advantage over people who dont. This creates a dynamic situation that is at the core of this game.

Well, as I am an American I have first-hand experience how much we consume, so I feel it's fair I pointed that out, especially for those claiming "We don't want any reward!'.

I offer not an alternative to stuff but an inclusion, one I'm too aware of and one that adds value to the individual life; A timescale on skillsets. If you repair items, the speed at which you repair shortens. Apply medical aid, same thing. Gutting animals, building fires, etc. I have offered these before in previous posts, that you missed them. And that really isn't a big deal because there are so many posts to go through...

NO

Your reward for surviving is being alive... be thankful you have that.

God you guys want to be handed as much stuff as you can get your damn greedy hands on!!

Stop trying to be spoon fed and play the damn game!!

SKILLS

Not stuff. If you've not noticed most of the other threads are about KoS or the desired inclusion of a plethora of military guns. I could care less about stuff. I care about making a life worth crawling around with broken legs trying to save it because I have skills.

If kit (stuff) is the only objective, then DayZ will never be a survival game. If you are robbed down to your underwear and it's more beneficial to suicide and start again, then it makes a mockery of "survival at all costs".

Therefore, there needs to be some kind of longer term development of your character's ability or fitness, in order to give them value and promote survival over kit accumulation. Survival may be its own reward, but a character that has survived for tens, scores or hundreds of game-hours should be better able to achieve further survival - even when left naked in the woods - than a freshly arrived new-spawn with jeans and flashlight.

The people who want to leave the game alone and not change a thing are really trying to undercut the potential that day z could achieve. 

Having achievements as rewards doesn't work, I personally have never cared about getting achievements. I want something IN GAME as a driving principal.

NO surviving isn't it's own reward. That doesn't make any sense. It's a cop out.  I can stack up on cans of beans all damn day and just sit there in the forest, surviving. That's my reward? You gotta be kidding.

"No, Just be glad yer alive!", If that was Rocket's response to whether or not this game have anything more in terms of progression I'd throw this game in the trash. 

The point you made about being robbed is excellent and I think it's how alot of players feel.

• Like 2

This is game from apocalypse, what means in my opinion that it is countdown to your death. If character survives long time it means that you have been lucky or coward. Thats why I play this game. If I want rewards I go and play Civilization and build statue of my own or if I want medals I go and play medal of honor, if I want to progress my character I play elder scrolls. I play this game cause it is zombie apocalypse where everything is going to shit even my own character. So no rewards, no skills nothing. Btw I have noticed that Im happy for my character if he finds fresh kiwi.

Btw I have noticed that Im happy for my character if he finds fresh kiwi.

And you've been rewarded with a nice fresh fruit!!!  B)

This is a sandbox, not hello kitty theme park;)

You get rewarded by your own achievements, not some fake shit.

Edited by StayAlive

This is a sandbox, not hello kitty themepark;)

Wrong again, actually I think I have to create a new thread for this one. DayZ is NO sandbox game. There is a goal: Surviving.

This is supposed to be the main goal of the game, if it has a goal, it's no sandbox game. If it is a sandbox game, it is no survival game. But at this point the game is nothing more than a "gear up" and "kill other people" game, which may change in the future. But it is definitely no sandbox game.

And hwat has hello kitty to do with any of this? xD

Edited by Wayze

Wrong again, actually I think I have to create a new thread for this one. DayZ is NO sandbox game. There is a goal: Surviving.

This is supposed to be the main goal of the game, if it has a goal, it's no sandbox game. If it is a sandbox game, it is no survival game. But at this point the game is nothing more than a "gear up" and "kill other people" game, which may change in the future. But it is definitely no sandbox game.

And hwat has hello kitty to do with any of this? xD

Surviving is a goal in any game, sandbox or not. You make your own goals in DayZ. There are no linear storyline, nothing that tells you what to do or not.

Here, if you even need some proof:

http://cloud-4.steampowered.com/ugc/450656977144408739/866F0F82AF65E127E21B62CE9A03346FA43C2786/

Edited by StayAlive
  • Like 1

Hello again, well after your other thread sort of won me over for skills. I had a good think about it and maybe came up with a way they could fit into dayz nicely.It got some good feedback and theres a little twist to it ;)

Anyway il say no more here, check it out if ya interested...

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/172631-degrading-skills-and-books/

Seriously what servers are people playing on?  I play on UK servers and rarely have any problem with KoSers, most of the time people wave, wiggle and then jog on.  Then again I rarely go to known PvP hotspots and run around without a care in the world...

What is needed is more content in the world.  Once we have things like base building and vehicles, only then can we begin to see if things such as skills and traits are needed. 

Surviving is a goal in any game, sandbox or not. You make your own goals in DayZ. There are no linear storyline, nothing that tells you what to do or not.

No it's not at all a goal in any game. A sandbox game is designed to have no goal. DayZ is designed as a survival game. Just because you have the freedom to do anything you want, does not mean it is a sandbox game. I can do whatever I want in Skyrim, because it's open world, not because there is no goal in the game. Sure, you can take the goal of the game and do something different, but the game as itself was designed for a specific playstyle.

And wait a second. If DayZ was a sandbox game, why the hell would a reward for surviving stop that? I mean, there is a reward for searching stupid items. There is a reward for killing everyone on sight. The only thing there is no reward for is simple survival.

Guys, I am not sure if you get it. There are people out there who want to have another purpuse in the game other than "finding a good gun and shooting people", because this is the only thing you can do in DayZ. Add content and it will be "finding a gun, a helicopter and kill people with that" and further "finding a gun, building a house to save up gear and go kill people without losing your gear". I cannot blame anyone that they set themselves these goals, because there is nothing else to do in end game.

Edited by Wayze

No it's not at all a goal in any game. A sandbox game is designed to have no goal. DayZ is designed as a survival game. Just because you have the freedom to do anything you want, does not mean it is a sandbox game. I can do whatever I want in Skyrim, because it's open world, not because there is no goal in the game. Sure, you can take the goal of the game and do something different, but the game as itself was designed for a specific playstyle.

And wait a second. If DayZ was a sandbox game, why the hell would a reward for surviving stop that? I mean, there is a reward for searching stupid items. There is a reward for killing everyone on sight. The only thing there is no reward for is simple survival.

Guys, I am not sure if you get it. There are people out there who want to have another purpuse in the game other than "finding a good gun and shooting people", because this is the only thing you can do in DayZ. Add content and it will be "finding a gun, a helicopter and kill people with that" and further "finding a gun, building a house to save up gear and go kill people without losing your gear". I cannot blame anyone that they set themselves these goals, because there is nothing else to do in end game.

No you don't get it.  You want a goal?  Go play WoW or CoD where it's designed for people like you.  The goal in DayZ is to survive and you do it by any means necessary.