Sign in to follow this  
Solopopo

Mosin vs. SKS?

I currently have both weapons, no attachments, same ammount of ammo for each. I feel torn about which to leave behind. What makes the two weapons different other than ammo capacity? So far i've noticed that the SKS wont work with bipods, but it does work with scopes. Both weapons can be set as far as 300 meters without a scope.

Edited by Solopopo

The SKS can only take the PU scope. However, being semi-automatic and fires as fast as you pull the trigger, it is the better of two worlds as it has quite a good range. If you have no pistol/revolver atm, I would choose the SKS as it is fit for both close and medium ranges ;)

Mosin - Bolt action         - Capasity: 5   - Medium/Long range
SKS   -  Semi Automatic - Capasity: 10 - Short/Medium range

Edited by Redwolf
  • Like 4

Ammo is pretty scarce for the SKS... can't install a long range scope either... I guess the SKS is good for urban environments like the apartment complexes near Balota and Chernogorsk.

SKS should be able to hit a man at 300 metres with iron sights. Putting a scope on it shouldn't increase it's range as it has AK accuracy and ballistics.

Mosin should be able to hit a man at 500 metres with iron sight. A decent scope should extend it's effective range out to 800 metres.

No idea if the game models the above correctly.

• Like 4

SKS should be able to hit a man at 300 metres with iron sights. Putting a scope on it shouldn't increase it's range as it has AK accuracy and ballistics.

Mosin should be able to hit a man at 500 metres with iron sight. A decent scope should extend it's effective range out to 800 metres.

No idea if the game models the above correctly.

A scope doesn't extend the gun's range at all. What it does is extend the shooter's range.

And I doubt someone can reliably hit a man sized target at 500m with iron sights, IRL or ingame. At least without very significant training, practice and a good gun rest.

Drop the Mosin, I know that you can carry 2 weapons but I never understood why people do it, it's really annoying to interact with anything. Back to the point... SKS is way more versatile than the Mosin, even though it lacks accuracy at extreme ranges and doesn't have a long range scope it's still better, just get a little closer to your target. I also feel much safer with SKS than Mosin because I can spray at close range if I have to. Here is a list of pros and cons IMO.

SKS

Pros:

- Can load 10 ammo inside

- Semi-auto

- Great damage

- Very good accuracy

- No need for a secondary weapon which takes 4 inventory space

- Fast reload

- Speedloader (it's bugged currently, if you load it while you have ammo in the gun the ammo will disappear)

- Spray & pray

- Fast fire rate

Cons:

- Can't attach long range scope

- Doesn't deal as much damage as Mosin(?)

- Can't attach bipod

- Can't be painted (for now)

- You go trough ammo pretty quickly

Mosin

Pros: 

- Only "sniper" in the game

- Good damage

- Best long range weapon

- Can be painted

- Ammo is easy to find

- A good amount of attachments

Cons:

- Slow bolt action

- Only 5 rounds can be loaded

- Don't miss at close range...

Edited by Zjasuu

It depends on what type of player you're going for.

If you're gonna be walking up and down the coast hunting bandits, definitely go SKS

If you're gonna be sneaking around and engaging targets from long range, then definitely mosin

A scope doesn't extend the gun's range at all. What it does is extend the shooter's range.

And I doubt someone can reliably hit a man sized target at 500m with iron sights, IRL or ingame. At least without very significant training, practice and a good gun rest.

Note the use of the word "effective" in my post. 

I never said that Joe Blow The Cable Guy could make such a shot, but the Mosin is capable of it and until the wholesale introduction of carbine-length assault rifles with magnifying optics; there were a bunch of people trained to be able to do this.

In the UK, they were called Infantrymen.

Mosin = 7.62x54R, bolt action, 28 inch barrel, 5 round magazine

SKS = 7.62x39, semi-auto, 20 inch barrel, 10 round magazine (with stripper clips)

Still prefer Mosin.

If you are on the ground constantly running around looting obviously the SKS. However I snipe all the time so I use the Mosin and carry around a shotty backup

Note the use of the word "effective" in my post. 

I never said that Joe Blow The Cable Guy could make such a shot, but the Mosin is capable of it and until the wholesale introduction of carbine-length assault rifles with magnifying optics; there were a bunch of people trained to be able to do this.

In the UK, they were called Infantrymen.

Point taken. Still, you are talking about well trained professional infantry. Most infantry in the time mosins and SKS were frontline weapons was able to put rounds in the general vicinity of the enemy and hope for the best, at least at those ranges.

This is a very helpful post. Thank you to all who contributed.

If you keep the SKS you cannot rightfully call it your "Mosin Of Justice"

Had a love for the m4 for a while until I started meeting more players. I've switched over to the mosin now as it suits a stealth/sniper style which I find is essential to surviving in game.

It looks super sexy when it's fully modded IMO, sks just look ugly. Not to mention it recoils like a bitch and the PU scope is useless.

Always rock the pimped mosin/fnx combo.

The Sks wins overall as it is just gonna save your life in so many more areas to the mosin, the only place your gonna lose is facing someone who has a mosin and is about 500 + metres from you and already knows where you are but that's super rare.

This is a very helpful post. Thank you to all who contributed.

What a pleasant surprise.

There is a wealth of information concerning this subject and other related discussions.

Look what a simple Search will return if you choose only search in titles  & this Forum only using the Search Tool options (little cog tab).

= Your search for the term mosin vs. sks returned 104 results.

Enter mosin vs. sks

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

• Like 1

I like the mosin only because the LRS can be attached to it. I would prefer SKS too, if the attachment could be put in there.

I havent engaged in combat with the mosin.  But I just like that the SKS is a compromise bewtween the M4 and Mosin.  Great gun with a PU scope.

I always ditch the other 2 when I find a SKS.

Blaze+LRS would be awesome and OK.

It can only fire 2 rounds, and the 2nd round will likely go way off, because the lower barrel is on a different position than the upper one.