knar33

Give 2 choices for logout timer: "wait" and "exit now"

It would be really helpful if the logout menu had 2 choices: one where you choose to wait 30 seconds when you are still ingame, but can't move or do anything, and the other which is how it is now where you log out immediately but activate the 30 second timer while you are offline.

Right now there is no way to know what is happening to your corpse after you log out, and if you die you can't know how or why. Allowing an option where you have to sit stationary but can see what is going on around you would make it so you can watch for players/zombies that might come to eat/defile you. It is essentially the same combat log protection, but much more logical. Nearly every hardcore full-loot mmo I have played has had this feature, and I hope the current timer is just a placeholder.

I would sleep a lot better knowing my character was safe and sound instead of never knowing what awaits me on the login screen when I fire up the game next.

Thoughts?

• Like 13

I also like the idea! I will give beans the next chance I get! 

It is frustrating to find that your character has died and you do not even get to know how he/she died. This would be a little better for everyone! 

If bad connection, task manager shutdown, unplugged modem, or alt+f4, the game should revert back to the previous 30 seconds blind system.

Heres what Rocket has to say on the subject 

[–]thefonztmGuardian of Cherno and Elektro 1 point

18 hours  ago

TBH, this feels like an oversight (though perhaps they'd rather get it in and work on the polish later). If you log out when you think you are safe, you still run the risk of someone you didn't even know was there walking right up and bashing your head in. I hope, and expect, that logging out in the future will allow you to watch your character until safely logged out.

[–]thefonztmGuardian of Cherno and Elektro 0 points

17 hours  ago

Added context incase others are curious.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1whzfy/30_second_logout_timer_in_next_build_confirmed_by/cf2at0s?context=1

I'm not certain this is exactly what I'm talking about. I am curious what rocket meant by sidecases and exploits.

I was thinking more of a sit down and fade to black over the course of 30 seconds. You log out when the 30 seconds are complete, but can break the logout process if you want to. It must then be restarted from 30 seconds.

Seems relatively identical to the current method except you can react to save your character if needed. But, I am speaking from hypothetical thinking. I haven't played with the new log out system. If my understanding is correct, you log out instantly, but your character remains for 30 seconds with the possibility of getting killed. You cannot react to a threat and only know whether you have been killed or not on your next log in.

[–]rocket2gunsRocket 38 points

15 hours  ago

For starters, it is a performance drain and a great deal of complexity that is added to the server. During this process the server would have to acknowledge your actions, and monitor them, to check and see if it is time to do certain things. What we did, alone, added to the work the server must do. Without the server monitoring this it would be very easy for client hacks/exploits to get around such a system.

Secondly, it meant that players could "try" to combat log with much lower risk. You would start disconnecting just in case, but cancel it easily. Sure, you have the extra time to get up etc... But thirty seconds is not long enough for someone to make a cautious engagement. If you see someone sitting down, most people assume that they are combat logging and tend to just go for broke on them. This is because if they have actually logged, there is no way they can come back in. It's a hefty punishment, very heavy. But I think the collateral damage from it is worth it to make logout a huge consideration.

I've talked about this quite a lot over the last year or so, taking apart arguments about why the "view your logout" idea just doesn't currently fit well. For the effort required, it doesn't provide enough value to justify it. We have to make the system far more complex, and spend way more time on it, and use up precious server FPS - for what I personally believe is a fairly negligible benefit really.

source http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/1x2o3x/my_very_first_combat_logger_post_patch_you_can/cf7pnaj?context=3

If players can just sit and watch for threats as they log out then they will simply go into the log out timer ready to cancel as soon as the enemy approaches, In most medium/long range encounters they will be able to combat log just as they would normally, its only in very close range encounters that it will have any effect.

With the current system its the fear of leaving your character defenseless that will prevent people from attempting to combat log in most situations. take that fear away and the whole system becomes worthless.

EDIT:Just read your suggestion again and realised you were saying just to be able to see whats going on, but not be able to cancel, my apologies, must remember to wake up before i start posting.

I was even thinking about this last night, i think just having the ability to stay in game and only hear what is going on around you would be pretty cool, it would further enhance the feeling of being helpless, provide enough info to explain why you are a fresh spawn when you log in next but still give the player who has logged minimal interaction with the game.

Could also do with a confirmation request when trying to exit the game, just so new players are aware that logging off leaves behind their character for 30 seconds.

Edited by Fluxley
  • Like 1

Anyone logging out where another player can actually see their character (unless teamed up with friends) deserves to get their gear stolen.

Too exploitable.

Find a safe place to log out and you'll be okay.

And by safe, I mean a place you'd made sure, yourself, that it's safe.

I think some people don"t get what has been suggested, the OP just asked to be able to see what happens during the 30secs , not cancel the disconnecting.So if you log out while a player is nearby , you could see your avatar being beaten to death, without being able to react , but at least you would know what happend

• Like 2

there is one thing about that reddit quote that really bugs me - if such a simple mechanic already has a serious impact on the server performance, then the concurrent event handling seems.. rather suboptimal.. and this is not good news for the future

• Like 1

There's nothing exploitable about it , except that for some reason rocket is saying you can alt f4 when you are watching your body. If that's true couldn't they just have the watch your body thing while the time goes down and if you alt f4 when the timer goes down it just resets and your game would close but your character would still be there ( like a combination of what people want which is spectating your character , and what we have now which is just apparently being there but not there)? I know that's like havin two protocols for one scenario but I feel like it could work If its possible to code .

Cuz unless they plan on changing the sit animation to a sleeping animation ,while the timer goes down it makes no sense , why would I allow someone to shoot me in the face If I was conscious and awake? So like I said let us watch out character while it counts down , if we see someone approaching (sound would be minimally reduced maybe , like you're about to fall asleep) we press cancel and in a matter of a second can defend ourselves .

And if we tried to alt f4 our client would close ,the logout timer would reset and our character would remain in game as a punishment . But at least it's better than not being in control of your character for 30 second.

Edited by Grapefruit kush

Thread's title is misleading. Most people think that it is another topic where somebody wants to be able to cancel the logout process.

Of course, I agree with the idea. We should be able to see what's going on, without the ability to do anything. Additionally, the idea of being able to instantly log off when you previously were idle for 30 seconds is, in my opinion, a cure for those whiners that don't like the current system. But doing so may require you to stay for 60 seconds. In the end, it would provide both safety and combat logging prevention.

Edited by fisheye

I really don't see how being able to cancel your log out timer could be exploitable. And i also don't see how it could cause server lag.

"For starters, it is a performance drain and a great deal of complexity that is added to the server. During this process the server would have to acknowledge your actions, and monitor them, to check and see if it is time to do certain things."

I honestly don't understand this, does the server not already do this for every action that every player on a sever makes? I don't get how it would be so hard to make sitting for 30 seconds a prerequisite to logging out instantly. While still having it so if you log instantly, you sit in game for 30 seconds.

Please correct me if I am wrong, as i do not have much experience with programming, but please do it respectfully and don't start flaming like a fucking cunt.

Thank you.

• Like 1

I really don't see how being able to cancel your log out timer could be exploitable. And i also don't see how it could cause server lag.

"For starters, it is a performance drain and a great deal of complexity that is added to the server. During this process the server would have to acknowledge your actions, and monitor them, to check and see if it is time to do certain things."

I honestly don't understand this, does the server not already do this for every action that every player on a sever makes? I don't get how it would be so hard to make sitting for 30 seconds a prerequisite to logging out instantly. While still having it so if you log instantly, you sit in game for 30 seconds.

Please correct me if I am wrong, as i do not have much experience with programming, but please do it respectfully and don't start flaming like a fucking cunt.

Thank you.

Yeah. This kinda seems like a cop-out to me. If Eve-Online can do it, a single server tracking 30-50 people can handle keeping tabs on just one person safe-logging out. I'm not buying it.

• Like 1

Don't try to be a know-it-alls. They are the programmes, and when they say it is hard to do, then indeed it is hard to do. I have some experience in programming and I know how complicated some systems/alghoritms can be. It may look simple on the outside but believe me, it doesn't have to be like that inside.

It's annoying to be mauled to death by wandering zombies you had no idea were there when logging out. 

Check before you log out.  ;)

I think I may be able to offer some light on the confusion but I am by no means an expert in programming.

So at a guess...

When you are in game you are communicating with the server.

When you initiate the logout process you are now communicating with the main hive server.

So in order to see what is happening during the logout process, the main hive server, which is responsible for login logout data, is now under pressure to display the entire world for 30 seconds.

Edited by Skyline-GTR
  • Like 1

I agree with the topic... 

Even if a person gets into a scenario where he/she tries to log when in combat, you really wouldn't have great odds if the opposing player is wielding any short range weapon.  If it was a prerequisite that your character had to put away his weapon and sit to log, you would have to take that time to get into crouch mode and then pull out your weapon.  By then that person, if he/she is smart, would of bum rushed and wasted you.

Compromise: if you sit for more than 60 seconds, you can safely log out.

A 60 second timer would be good too, I agree.

Edited by Lidskjalf

I think I may be able to offer some light on the confusion but I am by no means an expert in programming.

So at a guess...

When you are in game you are communicating with the server.

When you initiate the logout process you are now communicating with the main hive server.

So in order to see what is happening during the logout process, the main hive server, which is responsible for login logout data, is now under pressure to display the entire world for 30 seconds.

Thank you very much for this info, I did not think about the hive server and now it makes more sense. Much appreciated! 

That is disappointing that rocket is against this idea, or a similar idea. I disagree that it could be abused unless you were able to run around and do things while your timer is active.

I don't see the issue with not being able to cancel the logout timer, the server will just be told you are logging out (as it is now) the character stays in the world (as it is now) but the only difference is you can still see the world around you. I don't use reddit, and it's a shame he only responds to people there, or I would suggest this on reddit.