KnightFall1856

How many of you can read/write russian?

So I took 2 years of russian in college and I am the designated translator when we run into a street sign. I am by no means fluent but I am able to read the street signs and sometimes Im really grateful for that ability lol. So im curious..any non-native russian speakers that share in this ability? 

So I took 2 years of russian in college and I am the designated translator when we run into a street sign. I am by no means fluent but I am able to read the street signs and sometimes Im really grateful for that ability lol. So im curious..any non-native russian speakers that share in this ability? 

My friend told me Kamyshovo is actually called Kamiwobo, does that count?

In all seriousness I wish I knew how to read Russian, I might be alone on this but reading the signs in this game make me feel like I am someone without glasses squinting at a road sign trying to figure out what it says. The only reason I know towns in SA is by the geographical markers I noticed from playing the mod.

• Like 1

Not I, but I've become familiar enough with many of the signs to tell at a glance where I am. Not that I really need them. If I know where I started, my sense of direction is good enough in game to get me where I am going.

• Like 2

I actually took 2 semesters of it in college over 20 years ago, but to be honest i retained absolutely none of it, sadly.

Edited by Real Meatshield
  • Like 1

My friend told me Kamyshovo is actually called Kamiwobo, does that count?

In all seriousness I wish I knew how to read Russian, I might be alone on this but reading the signs in this game make me feel like I am someone without glasses squinting at a road sign trying to figure out what it says. The only reason I know towns in SA is by the geographical markers I noticed from playing the mod.

mmmm i dont think so. heres a couple things that might help you guys out so you dont need a map :D

Б = B

B = V

ж= z

и = I

ш = sh 

ц = ch 

• Like 1

I tried learning how to read it recently but gave up. I can sorta guess where i am (unless i'm on the coast because i can tell where i am on the coast without signs) most of the time. I think about 50% of those guesses are right. One of the things on my to do list is to actually learn it.

LT, RU, EN, PL, :) not perfect, but I can read and write all of them. Learned from tv and newspapers, and later internet.

Edited by Nienko
  • Like 1

court-certified russian interpreter and ATA member reporting in.

teach me master

Научи меня, хозяин!

• Like 1

russian would be useful in this game lol

I can say "I dont speak russia" in russian language and I know few other words too and I also remember most of cyrillic letters, I never thought that skill would help me in games but here we are and I feel good. 

• Like 1

I took a week of Russian lessons and went to Murmansk for a while. I barely speak it, but reading the cyrilic alphabet has gotten quite easy.

• Like 1

My brother is half russian, so yeah. He can translate.

But its not that hard to learn how to read the signs ingame. As long as you are decently aware of the towns names.

I'm able to translate many of the street signs on the game, but only because I have made it a conscious mission to know the Russian naves rather than the English ones. I find it adds a bit more realism if i have to actively remember road signs. I speak no Russian, other than the swear words I learnt from the Russian people at school.

Reading russian? Thats cyrillic. An alphabet that was fyi first adopted by Bulgaria, and then by many other countries across eastern Europe. Aand yeah I can read cyrillic, but I cant speak russian, which for the purposes of Dayz is enough.

Reading russian? Thats cyrillic. An alphabet that was fyi first adopted by Bulgaria, and then by many other countries across eastern Europe. Aand yeah I can read cyrillic, but I cant speak russian, which for the purposes of Dayz is enough.

Actually it is "reading russian", as cyrillic is not a language but a set of characters. Russian differs quite a lot from other countries that use the cyrillic alphabet.

Anyways the cyrillic alphabet is very similar to latin alphabet as it is simply different symbols for more or less the same letters

Actually it is "reading russian", as cyrillic is not a language but a set of characters. Russian differs quite a lot from other countries that use the cyrillic alphabet.

Anyways the cyrillic alphabet is very similar to latin alphabet as it is simply different symbols for more or less the same letters

Well not really, the differences between cyrillic and cyrillic are small enough that anyone who knows a language that uses cyrillic can easily read and pronounce most words from other cyrillic languages. And cyrillic also has more letters than latin. There are many letters in cyrillic that describe a sound which to translate in latin youd need a combination of letters. And thats where most people that are used to the latin alphabet encounter difficulties.

You can possibly read some words if you know one cyrillic language, but you wont understand the language itself just by reading letters. For example someone who is a serbian speaker will easily understand a polish person (who does nto even use cyrillics) but will have a hard time understanding russian. Grammar, and the whole accent is so vastly different  you will only be able to make out single words.

A spanish speaker however will have it far easier to understand a french or italian speaker.

Anyways what I meant about latin and cyrillic being the same thing is that they have the same logic, you have letters represented by symbols, once you learn to recognize the different symbol it is easy to read russian words even if you do not speak any cyrillic language.

You can possibly read some words if you know one cyrillic language, but you wont understand the language itself just by reading letters. For example someone who is a serbian speaker will easily understand a polish person (who does nto even use cyrillics) but will have a hard time understanding russian. Grammar, and the whole accent is so vastly different  you will only be able to make out single words.

A spanish speaker however will have it far easier to understand a french or italian speaker.

Anyways what I meant about latin and cyrillic being the same thing is that they have the same logic, you have letters represented by symbols, once you learn to recognize the different symbol it is easy to read russian words even if you do not speak any cyrillic language.

Well ofcourse reading and understanding are two different things. Thats why I said that I can read cyrillic, but i cant speak russian(which includes understanding it) which for the purposes of the game is enough since in Dayz it all comes down to being able to read and distinguish between the names of towns and places.

And 'bout latin a cyrillic, yes thats true, but its abit too much work for most people. Memorizing 30 letters highly similar to the alphabet that you use shouldnt take you more than 5-10 mins, but oh well some people just cant be bothered.

Edited by overdosed

I am from Czech Republic. The cyrillic isn't that hard to understand and russian is a slavic language in the end.. so I can usually navigate my way. Usually.

I have russian relatives, but I don't know the language almost at all. I only learned some letters so I can at least translate the road signs.