africanhungergames

To those who dislike the new combat logging timer

Well what they could do is once they implement tents/sleeping bags the dev's could require players to actually use the "sleep" function that was NEVER used in the mod.  There you go, authentic and still solves all the above.  Have a 30 second log-out timer but make it a requirement that you need some sort of bed roll/bed to log out.  Players have the option to even sleep the beds of buildings if they haven't found a sleeping bag/tent.

That's kind of unrealistic that you can't lie on the ground to sleep though. Tents could allow you to go to sleep in only 15 seconds, then? Not exactly realism but gives them a reason to exist

That's kind of unrealistic that you can't lie on the ground to sleep though. Tents could allow you to go to sleep in only 15 seconds, then? Not exactly realism but gives them a reason to exist

I suppose.  Then it doesn't give the items themselves a purpose nor any point in carrying them if you could just plop down anywhere and bust a few ZZZ's.

I just got into my first engagement in the new update. I was in a hospital in Elektro (the west one, not the one in the middle of the city) when a player ran into me. He shot at me, I shot at him, we both missed. We each ran and hid behind corners. It was exhilarating knowing that he wasn't going to log out. We danced around the hospital for a while before I finally climbed up a ladder on the side of the building. He was hiding in the room on the roof. I shot at him with my sawed off but the wall and windows got in the way. He ducked down into a corner trying to get a a visual on me with 3rd person. Unfortunately for him, I was on the opposite side of the room. I leaned around the window with E and shot him. It was awesome being able to fight someone to the death knowing that he couldn't log out, then back in in behind me. 

Before this update was implemented, I probably would have sat camping for 15 minutes, only to find that he logged out 13 minutes ago. 

Edited by Solopopo
  • Like 2

see a person...oh shit...esc.    your ass sits down....person see's this shoots your ass...

free gear.

STOP BEING A PUSSY AND FIGHT.

how hard is it to log out in a safe spot?

STOP RUNNING THE COAST FFS.

Well what they could do is once they implement tents/sleeping bags the dev's could require players to actually use the "sleep" function that was NEVER used in the mod.  There you go, authentic and still solves all the above.  Have a 30 second log-out timer but make it a requirement that you need some sort of bed roll/bed to log out.  Players have the option to even sleep the beds of buildings if they haven't found a sleeping bag/tent.

so you want to make this game into RUST?

go play rust ffs

And this is why people need to pry their comfy asses away from 3rd person servers and play 1st.  They honestly need to implement a "1st person only" patch just to see how the community would handle the gameplay in comparison to floating camera mode.

to be honest they need to fix the damn buildings so you cant see through them..problem solved.

I'm all for the current system, at least until something better shows up. However, I'm not a fan of being dumped back at the server screen right away. I would keep everything about the current system but include the ability to see my character for those 30 seconds. So once I hit that Exit button, I see the timer ticking down knowing that there's nothing I can do to effect the timer or defend myself in any way (just the same way it functions now) but I can still see my dude picking his nose or scratching his butt or whatever for those last 30 seconds until the server finally boots me out and drops me back at the server selection screen. It's more of a peace of mind thing for me as I'm one of those people that constantly wonders about their keyless car door locks and keep wanting to go back and check to see if it's actually locked.

But yeah, other than the slight uncertainty of whether my character is alive or dead right now, I love the new system. Combat logging was never really a problem for me (nearly 40 hours in and still never seen another player to shoot at or get shot by) but server hoppers really pissed me off. I spent many an hour carefully picking my way across the map avoiding everything that might look at me in a funny way only to have someone magically *poof* into existence, hoover up all the good stuff then *poof* gone again.

Edited by Woodland Creature

And this is why people need to pry their comfy asses away from 3rd person servers and play 1st.  They honestly need to implement a "1st person only" patch just to see how the community would handle the gameplay in comparison to floating camera mode.

First, What's up with the unique snowflake fonts?

This has nothing to do with 3PP, you can still look down a hallway from a doorway in 1PP with your finger on the escape button, ready to engage, anyone who comes close, while you're trying to combat log in 30 seconds.

30 seconds is far too short.

Needs to be 300 seconds. When you log out you should be in a completely safe area so a 300 second timer should not be a problem.

30 seconds is far too short.

Needs to be 300 seconds. When you log out you should be in a completely safe area so a 300 second timer should not be a problem.

300 seconds might be a little too long but I'm in agreement on 30 seconds being too short.

Edited by Woodland Creature

30 seconds can be short as it still leaves room for combat logging scenarios. However it does curb the most blatant forms of instant alt-f4 escapes. It also means you just gotta take into account where you log out. So if you have a set a amount of playtime then take into account that you have to find a safe spot in time.

If you have to leave suddenly.. just find a safe place close by. If its THAT instant you have to run from your keyboard.. then it's probably important enough that you won't give a rats ass about losing some char from a friggin videogame..

• Like 4

I like some of the ideas, and I also feel that 30 seconds is too short for a logout timer. But only if you're actually in a firefight.

Would be hard to implement, but after you've fired a weapon, the logout timer should multiply like 5 or 6 times. And you should not be able to log out when you're bleeding.

But having the logout timer set to over 30 seconds when you're just chilling in the woods, would be stupid imho. If you're far away from anything, you should have the option to logout without being scared of losing your character.

Edited by paulus83

Hear, hear. A toast to you, OP.

I couldn't possibly agree with you more. This patch brought forth a new era for DayZ. One where the ghosters, combat loggers and server hoppers are crying bitter tears while legit players prosper!

• Like 2

It's already been thrown out there in a different thread, but how about for those who would like to know if they are safe, once you hit logout, your character becomes unable to move or act, there is no cancel option for the duration of the 30 second wait.

I am seeing a lot of moaning and whining on these forums about the timers and how its a 'lazy' feature.

It seems that some people have forgotten why this timer was implemented in the first place. To stop server hopping and ghosting and they should judge this feature on whether it has worked or not and guess what MY GOD DOES IT WORK.

..it was implemented entirely to stop "ghosting" ..all players whining on forums (like this one) about "hoppers" are one of the same them self! i know. i have servers running when i want to play. i can see that perhaps 1/300 being a regular. the only once whining about "loggers" are the same kind, being buthurt because someone got there before them ^^

Well in my humble opinion, I agree with the step they are taking, to a certain degree. Logging out should NOT keep your character online for 30 seconds, as you can't guarantee your safety. Instead, I'd like to see a feature where you press ESC > exit, then a logout timer starts for 30 seconds in the game, giving you the ability to move in a fixed position, if you move or fire your weapon, the logout timer stops, halting your character from loging out.

This has been tried before. Doesn't work. Alt + F4 or end process via task manager bypasses this. The current system is the best one I have seen so far to combat ghosting/server hopping/combat logging.

the timer has bloody nothing to do with what the buthurt players go on about "hoppers" or "loggers"! it is simply a measure to prevent "ghosting". nothing more. nothing less. you were/are all hoppers, the only difference was/is how long time you spend on a server before changing to another ..or so my serverlogs show...

The only thing I would change is the timer still up if you join the same server. The 30s should be disabled in this case.

Agreed.

I don't really understand what's so hard about "Oh boy i need to log out. Guess I should find a spot and wait there for a bit, then log out"

like...this is not really that inconvenient lol xD

My gameplay hasn't changed because even before the patch and also while playing the mod I always went to a safe location to logout. Now there is a 30 second timer, I don't see any inconvenience in it at all.

• Like 3

I am seeing a lot of moaning and whining on these forums about the timers and how its a 'lazy' feature.

It seems that some people have forgotten why this timer was implemented in the first place. To stop server hopping and ghosting and they should judge this feature on whether it has worked or not and guess what MY GOD DOES IT WORK.

Since playing the experimental server every battle i have been in has been a fight to the death, I am having so much more fun with this build, died a lot more? Yes. Been hit with the five minute timer? Yes on more then one occasion, does it piss me off? Not one bit.

All i have to do is think of the benefits that it is having and the positive affect it will have on the actual gameplay of the game.

Is it a lazy feature? I dont know tbh but all i know is it works to stop ghosting like a charm (not so much server hopping) and has made me have more enjoyment fighting on the test server in the last three days then the entire month i have been playing the game.

I am starting to wonder whether the people who are complaining about it had mastered ghosting or something and now don't know what to do with themselves or they have completely lost sight of why it is even there in the first place, everyone has had those moments where people have logged just when your about to finish them or the worse one is when you are attacked, you retaliate and the pussy goes and logs off, for me that was killing the game entirely and i just want people to know i for one and chuffed to bits with the new timer.

ponymony, on 05 Feb 2014 - 7:16 PM, said:snapback.png

To this i just wanted to say letting a combat logger control his character for the 30 seconds that he is trying to log out completely defeats the point of the timer. The timer is there to make that person vulnerable for 30 seconds and therefore make the risk of combat logging in most cases too high to take. if he can see and defend himself for those 30 seconds then what is to stop him combat logging, Nothing. Yes this is a burden we will all have to share both loggers and legit players alike but it is a burden most are happy to carry.

No its not there to make u vulnerable for 30 seconds. Its there so u cant just jump out immediately in the middle of battle. It forces you to fight. But if I want to leave anyways at some point. I should be able to see the countdown. I shouldn't be subject to some random or zombie walking up from way across the map. 

"if he can see and defend himself for those 30 seconds then what is to stop him combat logging, Nothing."

This doesnt make any sense. He's having to defend himself for 30 seconds. Thats not combat logging thats fighting. 

Edited by synik4l

to be honest they need to fix the damn buildings so you cant see through them..problem solved.

I don't really know what 3PP has to do with subject of this thread, but fixing the seethrough walls won't solve the (unrelated) 3PP-issue, as it would still allow you to look into doors, out of windows and over low walls and fences without exposing your character.

This has been tried before. Doesn't work. Alt + F4 or end process via task manager bypasses this. The current system is the best one I have seen so far to combat ghosting/server hopping/combat logging.

but you could make it to where if someone does hit alt+f4 then they do stand there for 30 seconds. Just like Wow. All we want is the option to still be able to see...while that 30 seconds is counting down

Should be an aggression timer, if you didn't fire, use axe, punch etc your char should be able to log out as normal. 

If your actively involved in a shoot out and try log i think the 30 seconds should be bumped up to at least a minute or more.

People have to genuinely have to log off for other reasons at times, kids, door, phone etc etc.  

It's already been thrown out there in a different thread, but how about for those who would like to know if they are safe, once you hit logout, your character becomes unable to move or act, there is no cancel option for the duration of the 30 second wait.

If you cant control the character then what is the difference between what you propose and what has been implemented.

The fact that you can see yourself die ???

Your argument does not make much sense to me

• Like 1