africanhungergames

To those who dislike the new combat logging timer

Don't see much point in having a timer for rejoining the same server. Logging out yes, loggin in no, it's the same server, you can't ghost, so what's the point.

Hello there

Why is this "lazy" feature and if you guys think so, what would be a viable alternative?

I dont mind folk not liking the system but lets find possible alternative solutions to push to the devs.

Rgds

LoK

I don't know but if you all think that allowing players to be completely defenseless so asshats like the guy who "must have killed 30 players thanks to this new feature so far" are an intended result, you've got to be out of your minds if you think that's ever going to work.

Yeah let's put in a log out system that allows players to murder another player with absolutely no risk at all, brilliant.  With a system where the player actually had to wait 30 seconds before logging out, at least the player attempting the murder on the player logging out wouldn't be able to sit there, RISK FREE, and put one bullet into the head of the other survivor, presumably preserving the quality of the items the logging out player had.

Yeah, logic for that log out system = non existant.

Don't see much point in having a timer for rejoining the same server. Logging out yes, loggin in no, it's the same server, you can't ghost, so what's the point.

The point is YOU'RE COMBAT LOGGING YOU DIRTY COMBAT LOGGER.  Oh wait...

I don't know but if you all think that allowing players to be completely defenseless so asshats like the guy who "must have killed 30 players thanks to this new feature so far" are an intended result, you've got to be out of your minds if you think that's ever going to work.

Yeah let's put in a log out system that allows players to murder another player with absolutely no risk at all, brilliant.  With a system where the player actually had to wait 30 seconds before logging out, at least the player attempting the murder on the player logging out wouldn't be able to sit there, RISK FREE, and put one bullet into the head of the other survivor, presumably preserving the quality of the items the logging out player had.

Fucking dumbest load of paranoid shite I've read on the subject. What are you complaining about? Choose a better spot to log out. Stop blowing the 30 second timer out of proportion, it's really not that bad. The only way another player can murder you is if they can find you, they can only find you if:

1. they're lucky

2. you chose a shit spot

3. they knew where you were in the first place

the servers are a bit buggy, so getting disconnected sucks, but you paid for early access, so you got it. Stop your whinging, I haven't died once as a result of being on the server for an extra 30 seconds.  

Edited by Capo
  • Like 1

Fucking dumbest load of paranoid shite I've read on the subject. What are you complaining about? Choose a better spot to log out. Stop blowing the 30 second timer out of proportion, it's really not that bad. The only way another player can murder you is if they can find you, they can only find you if:

1. they're lucky

2. you chose a shit spot

3. they knew where you were in the first place

the servers are a bit buggy, so getting disconnected sucks, but you paid for early access, so you got it. Stop your whinging, I haven't died once as a result of being on the server for an extra 30 seconds.  

No you're right, everyone is definitely combat logging.  No one is whinging here, however we are being involved with the feedback process included in the notice you are also accepting everytime you load Day Z.  Care to actually be involved, or are you just going to keep saying "Oh well you were obviously combat logging so you deserved it" like every other "tester" with half a brain?

No you're right, everyone is definitely combat logging.  No one is whinging here, however we are being involved with the feedback process included in the notice you are also accepting everytime you load Day Z.  Care to actually be involved, or are you just going to keep saying "Oh well you were obviously combat logging so you deserved it" like every other "tester" with half a brain?

lol you're a retard, I didn't accuse you of logging. 

Edited by Max Planck
Stop with the personal insults.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned as there's loads of posts already but the problem I have with this feature is this:

Last night me and my friend were moving to a high populated server from one that was getting Lowish on players when we login my character has glitches and I'm back to a new spawn while my friend still has all his gear. So I log out and try another server to see if it fixes it and I'm told I have to wait 5mins to get in. So I tell my friend we'll just go into the server and see if it's fixed but now we both have to wait 5mins so we wait the time and my gear is still lost and my friend has been getting hit by a zombie while waiting to get in and now has a broken leg.

This system is just terrible and makes me not want to play this game until they come to there senses and put in a better system. What my understanding was they were going to do a progressive timer so if you login to a couple of servers quickly next time is a 30sec wait then it goes up to 1min and so on if you keep changing which I think would work fine.

Sorry, Rant over

Yeah let's put in a log out system that allows players to murder another player with absolutely no risk at all, brilliant. With a system where the player actually had to wait 30 seconds before logging out, at least the player attempting the murder on the player logging out wouldn't be able to sit there, RISK FREE, and put one bullet into the head of the other survivor, presumably preserving the quality of the items the logging out player had.

Your opinion is stupid. It goes against everything like 8 people have said in here so you are wrong. Stop being so paranoid and find a better spot to hide in this very buggy version of the alpha where zombies spawn out of nowhere and walk through walls. Oh and where players spawn in based on where they were when they logged off (more or less). There are obviously tons of safe places and this system of log-out penalties isn't premature at all.

• Like 1

All I've seen in this thread is mostly whining about what is probably one of the best updates since SA's Early Access Alpha release.  Yeah, there's pros and cons to both of the timers added (log-out and log-in), but it's a drastic improvement over the former state of the game (get the jump on someone or panic log if they missed you). Yeah, it puts legit players at a slight disadvantage, but it puts the players that abused engine limitations at a much heavier one, of which the aim of the timers is in the first place, and with that I say "mission accomplished!".  Players now have to fight or flee

I've already killed a few people that tried to log out on me when I approached them -- people in most of those cases I would have let live had they not tried to log out when I made my presence known.  If you're that scared of interacting with players (whether you have the ability to defend yourself or not is irrelevant), maybe DayZ Standalone isn't the right game for you -- I hear Hello Kitty Adventures is care-bear friendly, check it out.

While I do see the argument for the legit players in regard to the log-in timer, which is to join a server only to have it reboot in minutes and be stuck having to wait for a log-in timer to tick down, I'm fine with that timer if I know it will buy me a few more minutes if someone plans to ghost me -- a small price to pay.  This doesn't even begin to offset the disadvantage to server hoppers.  If you change servers that often, you're either trying to loot whore high-value areas or find people to kill, and to that I say "Someone call the waaaaaaambulance!".  If you're legit, and you're having lag issues, that's what the Favorites tab of the server browser is for.  If you find a server that doesn't lag, make a note of the server you joined then add it when you're done.  There's very simple ways to mitigate the legit player disadvantage to make it next to none.

In regard to the log-out timer, there is very little in the way of legit arguments for it.  If you get stalked and killed during that 30 second log-out timer, you were essentially combat logging -- you just didn't know it.  If you got hit by a zombie clipping through walls during that 30 seconds, you likely won't die -- you'll just be bleeding when you log in.  If you somehow managed to die, then you didn't take care of your blood/health enough to avoid critical blood/health loss or shock > blood, and that's on you.  It's not hard at all to get healthy with the revamped hunger/thirst system.  If you're standing still in a building or crouched + walk (as opposed to standing + jog), you likely wouldn't have drawn aggro.  Stop running around like an idiot.

Any argument recommending being able to see your surroundings during log-out timer is exploitable.  Again, if you died within that 30 seconds, you either logged out in the open, were being stalked by another player, combat logged, or weren't being stealthily enough to avoid zombie aggro.  Don't log out in the heart of Elektro (or any frequently accessed area).  All in all, this is a permadeath game, so don't get attached to your gear.  It's not hard at all to get re-geared without server hopping/etc.  You don't have to loot high-value buildings to get gear, you just need to know where else to look (or do you not care to?).

Rocket, you have my beans for making so many baddies shed wimpy tears.

• Like 4

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned as there's loads of posts already but the problem I have with this feature is this:

Last night me and my friend were moving to a high populated server from one that was getting Lowish on players when we login my character has glitches and I'm back to a new spawn while my friend still has all his gear. So I log out and try another server to see if it fixes it and I'm told I have to wait 5mins to get in. So I tell my friend we'll just go into the server and see if it's fixed but now we both have to wait 5mins so we wait the time and my gear is still lost and my friend has been getting hit by a zombie while waiting to get in and now has a broken leg.

This system is just terrible and makes me not want to play this game until they come to there senses and put in a better system. What my understanding was they were going to do a progressive timer so if you login to a couple of servers quickly next time is a 30sec wait then it goes up to 1min and so on if you keep changing which I think would work fine.

Sorry, Rant over

There is more to the story then you are telling.

You character was wiped which is a known glitch and bug that is being constantly worked on. If your carachter had not have glitched then you and your friend would have carried on as normal and everything would be fine.

Your problem has nothing to do with the new system it has to do with something completely different, this system made you have to wait a bit longer but it never cause your character to be reset and it never caused your friend to get hit by a zombie, dont blame those two things on it because i don't see how they are related.

• Like 1

All I've seen in this thread is mostly whining about what is probably one of the best updates since SA's Early Access Alpha release. Yeah, there's pros and cons to both of the timers added (log-out and log-in), but it's a drastic improvement over the former state of the game (get the jump on someone or panic log if they missed you). Yeah, it puts legit players at a slight disadvantage, but it puts the players that abused engine limitations at a much heavier one, of which the aim of the timers is in the first place, and with that I say "mission accomplished!". Players now have to fight or flee

I've already killed a few people that tried to log out on me when I approached them -- people in most of those cases I would have let live had they not tried to log out when I made my presence known. If you're that scared of interacting with players (whether you have the ability to defend yourself or not is irrelevant), maybe DayZ Standalone isn't the right game for you -- I hear Hello Kitty Adventures is care-bear friendly, check it out.

While I do see the argument for the legit players in regard to the log-in timer, which is to join a server only to have it reboot in minutes and be stuck having to wait for a log-in timer to tick down, I'm fine with that timer if I know it will buy me a few more minutes if someone plans to ghost me -- a small price to pay. This doesn't even begin to offset the disadvantage to server hoppers. If you change servers that often, you're either trying to loot whore high-value areas or find people to kill, and to that I say "Someone call the waaaaaaambulance!". If you're legit, and you're having lag issues, that's what the Favorites tab of the server browser is for. If you find a server that doesn't lag, make a note of the server you joined then add it when you're done. There's very simple ways to mitigate the legit player disadvantage to make it next to none.

In regard to the log-out timer, there is very little in the way of legit arguments for it. If you get stalked and killed during that 30 second log-out timer, you were essentially combat logging -- you just didn't know it. If you got hit by a zombie clipping through walls during that 30 seconds, you likely won't die -- you'll just be bleeding when you log in. If you somehow managed to die, then you didn't take care of your blood/health enough to avoid critical blood/health loss or shock > blood, and that's on you. It's not hard at all to get healthy with the revamped hunger/thirst system. If you're standing still in a building or crouched + walk (as opposed to standing + jog), you likely wouldn't have drawn aggro. Stop running around like an idiot.

Any argument recommending being able to see your surroundings during log-out timer is exploitable. Again, if you died within that 30 seconds, you either logged out in the open, were being stalked by another player, combat logged, or weren't being stealthily enough to avoid zombie aggro. Don't log out in the heart of Elektro (or any frequently accessed area). All in all, this is a permadeath game, so don't get attached to your gear. It's not hard at all to get re-geared without server hopping/etc. You don't have to loot high-value buildings to get gear, you just need to know where else to look (or do you not care to?).

Rocket, you have my beans for making so many baddies shed wimpy tears.

Ladies and gentlemen!! Let's have a hand for The Most Interesting Gamer In The World. You have my beans for doing it right while everyone else is doing it wrong.

I'm just screwing with you. I agree it's not that hard to get gear and I actually enjoy playing more when I'm in need of gear... less inhibitions about interacting with other players. It gets boring when I'm fully loaded and don't have anything to do except grief Bambis... Which I don't actually do. Last night I did punch a fellow new spawn to death but only because I watched him kill a third new spawn. It felt... Good.

It should be like this

You are slapped with a 60 second timer each time:

- A bullet or attack lands within X meters of you

- You fire a bullet or execute an attack action

During this 60 seconds of (in combat) and you "log out" or "force close" the game then your character is left, standing there until the timer runs out and you disappear.

It should be like this

During this 60 seconds of (in combat) and you "log out" or "force close" the game then your character is left, standing there until the timer runs out and you disappear.

So if someone try to shoot you from far away and miss you more than an arbitrary threshold you should be able to log out risk free?

Or you should be able to log out instantly against people with axes?

Don't think so.

It should be like this

And decrease server performance while it has to calculate on every bullet fired...no.

And decrease server performance while it has to calculate on every bullet fired...no.

That is a thoughtful and insightful comment! Very true.

I think your avatar should just stay in the game always in real time. Like Rust. If you leave it just lays down until you come back. Better find a tree to climb up.

that is not true. rent your own servers and you will soon understand that "server hopping" isn't effected by any of these new changes ..but perhaps you rather be one of the moochers then one of contributing...?

you are without a doubt the worst server-leasee for any game on any internet.

Lots of personal insults thrown around here, let's stop it now.

I want to use colored text too!

Welcome do DayZ (to those that dislike the new combat log system).

Don't want to spend another 5 minutes to run to a safer area like a dense forest in bush? Your fault if you die within that 30 seconds.

Want to YOLO and log out in the middle of a street? Your fault if you die within that 30 seconds.

Found a safe spot but still died within that 30 seconds? Your fault, should have logged out in a safer area.

Still found an uber safe spot but still died within that 30 seconds? Your SOL. Welcome to DayZ.

I don't see any other ways to argue this and get the main point of DayZ logging system across. This is by the far the simplest and easiest fix for combat loggers and server hoppers and I love it.

Edited by barcode120x
  • Like 5

So  funny, but did he not kill the guy before the timer ran out? or does a dead body even disappear after the timer runs out?

Either way I feel the timer should be longer.

As suggested before in this thread, I think the location you log should modify the timer, eg;

The standard (blind) logout timer should be: 2mins

and the modifiers:

Inside a building: -30seconds

Using a bed roll / sleeping bag: -30seconds

Using a tent (only possible outside): -60 seconds

or some type of system where items/location affects the timer like this, could really add value to the items/locations.

What do you think?

• Like 1

Combat loggin is lame but now we have a system that punished people who never did it in the first place !

There is no punishment because there is no "system" until we have a finished product.

I'm luvin the new system.  It seems so far quite effective at deterring hoppers and especially combat loggers.   Interestingly,  I find it deters a lot of bandits and KOS'ers too because they know that if they start losing the fight, they can't just combat log away their troubles.

Very well done indeed!

• Like 1

I am killing so many combat loggers lately and it feels good.

Thanks dean :beans:  :beans:  :beans:  :beans: