Sign in to follow this  
Rick1633

Explain to me this. How is it better to add small things to the game before fixing major problems?

Call me insane, but I cannot understand for the life of me why they have spent so much time adding items and new features to the game but not updating the game breaking issues.

The zombies actually seem to have gotten even worse about walking directly through not only walls, but entire buildings.  It is so frustrrating to have a strategy about which weapon you want to use and how much time you have to prepare for an aggro'd zed only to find 2 of them are up your ass that appeared out of nowhere.

I heard Star Citizen only raised 25 million but they have 3 entire seperate offices of people working full time on the game.  What is the Dayz team doing with 30 million?

I got a 10 FPS boost after the last patch. I'd say that's what they're doing.

The issues that you are complaining about are being worked on. What don't you get about this?

• Like 2

i agree they need to fix the servers all shit cant play all good on the screen but cant pull out wepaons or kill zombies than out of no where your dead, lets fix this befor adding in small stuff

Ok putting it simple mate:

Thoose making the art for new items, cannot wait for someone to come along and fix the code, they still need to work.
Thoose making the new code for new features, cannot wait for someone to come along and fix the old code, they need to keep working.

Thoose "repairing" the buggy code, are on it, but it takes 100 times as long to fix a code then actually writting it.

So basicly, you will get updates, with new content and new textures and what ever else, regardless of bugs or not.
Bugs will get fixed in due time, but we cannot halt the entire development, because Z's arent working yet, that would be downright foolish lol.

• Like 19

Look at my Signature. No back to me. Now back to my Signature.

If you dont find it, here it is in the post:

Why has <insert any bug> not been fixed yet when there is new content coming in?

While priorities are very important when assigning work, there is a limit to how many people can work on a complex task without making it even more complex. Also, many of the team are focused purely on content/design so while the important stuff is being fixed, they continue to provide content and design updates.

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 4

I can fully understand that 90% of the community doesn't comprehend how a development team is formed and partitioned by work load, duties and responsibilities.  This is due to the fact that the community members are not in the industry of developing games, rather they are in the industry of purchasing and playing the games, and that is perfectly fine and ok!  With that said, most dev teams have individuals each with particular sets of skill that dictate their particular set of work load and tasks.  When work is finished by an individual designer, it is submitted and tested, regardless of the other devs work loads and tasks provided those other tasks are not required to be completed so that the finished work can be released.  So in a nutshell, if one dev or designer is finished on his task, they are not going to slow development down because other tasks are still there to be completed.  Each dev is responsible for the over all performance, it is only going to get better.  To assume they are simply ignoring glaring issues to release new or more content could not be more wrong.

• Like 2

I'd like to add to Streets post by suggesting that people purchase and play another early access game, they are fairly cheap investments. I realized this week that every game I've been playing is early access: Kerbal, Project Zomboid, etc. 

So, I'm keeping up with the development of several games at the same time. And honestly, so far, DayZ's development team is blowing those out of the water.

I guess that's why I'm so baffled by all the bitching.

Edited by Dr. Goner
  • Like 2

This game could print money and cure cancer. People would complain about how how difficult it is to go to the steam store, click on buy, fill out info, then complain about having to download the game and how long it takes to to download.

• Like 4

Bitching will always be there with such a diverse group of early access community members.  Most want their cake now, now, now, now damnit!  The rest of us are patient

• Like 1

848906666_NotAgain_answer_2_xlarge.jpeg

Do people realize that it takes years to develop a game? An alpha is just a skeleton.  Probably one of the most playable Alphas I've played but it's still an alpha.  It's not even "Vanilla" yet.

• Like 1

Call me insane, but I cannot understand for the life of me why they have spent so much time adding items and new features to the game but not updating the game breaking issues.

The zombies actually seem to have gotten even worse about walking directly through not only walls, but entire buildings.  It is so frustrrating to have a strategy about which weapon you want to use and how much time you have to prepare for an aggro'd zed only to find 2 of them are up your ass that appeared out of nowhere.

I heard Star Citizen only raised 25 million but they have 3 entire seperate offices of people working full time on the game.  What is the Dayz team doing with 30 million?

BECAUSE THE PEOPLE WHO ARE MAKING NEW MODELS, AREN'T THE PEOPLE WHO FIX BUGS. 

The Zombies will get fixed, maybe in an early beta but not during alpha. In alpha they will implement content, and gamesystems to test them. Once everything is in the game, they will start to fix such things like zombie clipping.

btw:

Do you have a playable Version of Star Citizien ? Is there an an alpha, besides the hangar module, where you can do nothing ? 

Edited by Rancor

For what it is its a great game, despite the Alpha name.

If u dont like it wait or play something else.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

I absolutely love the pace of development.

We get shiny new toys to get excited about in each patch.

The dev team is also fixing things that are improving performance with the servers/code that we don't notice.

This method of development is keeping me interested in the game. Imagine how boring this would be if no new items were added, and all the patches did was fix stuff that we don't really notice.

I'm sure the "big issues" that we all want to see fixed (zombie clipping is the biggest, IMO) are all dependent on some smaller fixes (hive/server/client communication) happening first. Be patient, and enjoy the shiny toys that come with each new patch.

• Like 1

Programmers generally work apart from texture artists, modellers, animators, riggers, who also somewhat work independently of each other and can submit updates to the dev branch at will as long as they are felt to be stable. The dev branch then gets merged into the experimental in all likelihood. The programmers are likely working on putting piece number 49 into a 10,000 piece puzzle at any given moment.

I absolutely love the pace of development.

We get shiny new toys to get excited about in each patch.

The dev team is also fixing things that are improving performance with the servers/code that we don't notice.

This method of development is keeping me interested in the game. Imagine how boring this would be if no new items were added, and all the patches did was fix stuff that we don't really notice.

I'm sure the "big issues" that we all want to see fixed (zombie clipping is the biggest, IMO) are all dependent on some smaller fixes (hive/server/client communication) happening first. Be patient, and enjoy the shiny toys that come with each new patch.

I agree. They seem to be on a continuous delivery model with 2/3 week sprints. Working in a similar development model where I am this is taxing on the developers & testers. It's posts like these that make me realize that some people DO realize  what we go through.

OPs post just shows that people think game development is akin to flicking a switch and it's on.

Edited by DoctorWhy

I heard Star Citizen only raised 25 million [ ].

REALY old number, they're at 38,025,087 at the time of posting.

On-topic: Everything was allready said, but not by everyone.

Call me insane..

Not insane.. likely just ignorant and lacking understanding & comprehension of the process required, work flow, resource management, etc etc required for software development.

Throwing money at something is not always the best way to develop things.  I really don't think someone who asks a question is this tone should be participating in an alpha/beta development process.

Edited by MadTommy
  • Like 1

Since I've been redirected to this topic by one of the posters, I'll say this - most people don't bitch. Most people simply ask. I'm sure some bitch, but hey.

Also, I've been present on countless forums where people have blindly been defending every and any dev decision, regardless of how stupid it was. I'm not saying devs make stupid decisions here, just speaking in general. I've seen those games fail miserably as a consequence. Not saying this one will, just pointing out how silly "GIVE THEM TIME! THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!!1!! ALL IS UNDER CONTROL!" type of responses are.

As an example: In a recent video, rocket was talking about how they were adding a new physics engine to DayZ. It will be what enables throwing of objects, among other things (ragdolls, etc.). It's not farfetched to think the melee system and collision detection for zombies will be done by the new engine once it's fully integrated.

So it wouldn't make any sense to fix the current zombies, if they are going to be replaced soon enough. But until the people working on integrating the physics middleware are done, what's everybody else going to do? You can't have the 3D artists or the sound engineers working on that. Even most of their coders can't, that kind of job is usually done better by an individual or a small, tight, team, than by a dozen coders fumbling over it.

So each does their bit of work.

• Like 1

FFS people, they should just remove access to the game for anyone complaining about "Why has X not been fixed yet" 

ITS IN ALPHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you do not understand what that means (and  after reading the OP i can confirm that is the case.. DONT FFING PLAY IT!

I'm getting sick of these people already and i've only been here for a bit over a week.... Your job is to report bugs when you find then. Thats it... If you have a good time along the way.. YAY, good for you!

You have no say in the development of the game, the direction it will be taken in, the amount of bugs that are in it and haven't been fixed yet. You have nothing to complain about, not even if DayZ overclock's your graphics card and causes your house to burn down with your wife and kids inside it... That's what can happen in Alpha's......

Of course people will voice their opinions, and that is fine, but if suddenly rocket thinks "purple bunny's that make you blind on sight" will be a good idea to implement.. He and his team can do that and we can't do shit about it because the game is clearly stated to be in alpha and might change dramatically. 

As Byrgesen already explained. Developing an asset (new texture new weapon and even some coding) is relatively easy compared to bugfixing. There are usually different teams for graphics, (textures artwork etc), physics (weapons, movement etc) there will prob be an "engine" team and then there are bugfixers... who are dedicated to finding and destroying bugs. If the bugfixteam is working 100% do you suggest the other 3 go on holiday? You would halt production to find and remove 1 bug?

And no, adding more people (aka throwing money at it) to a problem does not actualy fix it faster.... That just means more meetings, more conversations and communication (And miss-communication) and more problems while fixing problems. 

• Like 1

Since I've been redirected to this topic by one of the posters, I'll say this - most people don't bitch. Most people simply ask. I'm sure some bitch, but hey.

Also, I've been present on countless forums where people have blindly been defending every and any dev decision, regardless of how stupid it was. I'm not saying devs make stupid decisions here, just speaking in general. I've seen those games fail miserably as a consequence. Not saying this one will, just pointing out how silly "GIVE THEM TIME! THEY KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!!!1!! ALL IS UNDER CONTROL!" type of responses are.

I agree that some will defend DEVs no matter what.

But.. what is so IMPORTANT is the simple fact that as simple 'end users' we have no insight into what is required, staffing issues, the code, the roll out plan, logistics etc etc.. you can't critique something with no understanding of it.  You can ask polity why something is done the way it is.. but complaining or critiquing it is foolish and ignorant.

Do people realize that it takes years to develop a game? An alpha is just a skeleton.  Probably one of the most playable Alphas I've played but it's still an alpha.  It's not even "Vanilla" yet.

i would call "vanilla" the current version of the game with no mods installed....so yea......