Macdeth

why good samiritans irritate me

Why gear up and then act superior in face of new spawns ?

Gearing up means you going to challenge the strong groups right ? Make sure they leave town and leave you in control.

My answers seem to be the same throughout this thread:

There's a short list of things to do in standalone in its current form, gearing up is pretty much the default.

I think you guys are trying to read way too much in to player behaviour.

Gunpoint? You sound like one of those people who thinks guns are always bad. My gun is there for self-defence, if you threaten me and I press space to point it up then you can tell me you're being held at gunpoint.

That is a rather strange reply to my statement. I am talking about armed players literally pointing their gun at unarmed newspawns, telling them to press f2. As far as I can make out of your incoherent post, you seem to be talking about encounters between armed players.

you know the type, get themselves all geared up then head straight back to the coast to offer assistance to all the helpless bambis out there. Christ they make me want to vomit.

first of all anyone who just spawned on the coast is extremely likely to be very pissed off about dying and losing all their gear, probably at the hands of another player only a few minutes previously.

Secondly, there is a very high chance that this helpless bambi is an accomplished KoS player who would try and kill you with a gun, an axe, a kitchen knife or indeed a pair of fists no matter when and where you happen to meet.

There is something very odd about players who go to the coast specifically to 'help' fresh spawns.

Don't get me wrong, I love genuine and spontaneous acts of human kindness, I myself have occasionally derived a real sense of well being after some chance meeting, a little time spent getting acquainted and establishing that neither one of us is an incurable asshole, it's a real pleasure to share some supplies under such circumstances, a rare and pleasant experience indeed.

But actually focusing on seeking that out? making 'heading to the coast to help bambis' your primary aim is just fucking weird, there is something very patronising and arrogant and selfish about those players and when help is forced down my throat, I gotta tell you truth, I often repay it with an act of extreme violence.

Stop inflicting your strange need to feel appreciated on otherwise quite content gamers who are busily embarking upon, what for most, is the best part of the game. Gearing up and negotiating the wall of bandits that await in the tree lines and the city scapes ahead, leave them alone and for gods sake stay away from the coast unless you are actively seeking pvp encounters.

lol what?

Your posts don't elaborate any further to your "why good samiritans irritate me" title!

The only thing they do add is that you can't understand why people get pleasure from helping others.

You seem to pick holes in every replied post, and have a desire to prove everyone else is wrong and you're some kind far to superior being.

And any criticism of you, then makes you produce a "Everyone is wrong..No one understands me post!".

So, Confrontational, Narassic and isolated!

Most defiantly a DayZ player ;)

• Like 7

That is a rather strange reply to my statement. I am talking about armed players literally pointing their gun at unarmed newspawns, telling them to press f2. As far as I can make out of your incoherent post, you seem to be talking about encounters between armed players.

No I'm addressing the generalisation that seems to be made multiple times in this thread, that people who decide to go and interact with bambis are the type who chase bambis around and force them to accept gifts at gunpoint. Not all of us do that and not all people who decide to help bambis do it to inflate our ego, some of us are just bored. I take a gun with me, sure, but it's for my protection and I only point it at bambis if they make threatening moves.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina

I am always appreciative when someone comes and helps me out.

I died in Zeleno a couple weeks ago and met a group of four who gave me a compass, a Spite, and an open can of food.  It was enough to get me back to the grocery stores in Cherno to get a little more drink then run the rest of the way.

• Like 1

why not let people play the way they want?

In fairness what the op is saying is, don't expect any gratitude in return for forced acts of kindness ,or more importantly  come crying to the forums about KOS when some asshole ko's you and steals your own weapon and kills you with it when you were just trying to be helpful. 

• Like 1

No I'm addressing the generalisation that seems to be made multiple times in this thread, that people who decide to go and interact with bambis are the type who chase bambis around and force them to accept gifts at gunpoint. Not all of us do that and not all people who decide to help bambis do it to inflate our ego, some of us are just bored. I take a gun with me, sure, but it's for my protection and I only point it at bambis if they make threatening moves.

Then next time please write that instead of making erronous assumptions about my opinion of guns.

I have very little interest concerning the motivation of the behaviour I described, since not having done it myself, I would only be able to make uneducated guesses about that. Players can do it because of inflated egos or boredom for all I care, it doesn't change my opinion about it being an extremely daft thing to do.

This is why I asked them nicely to please leave me alone and I can do it myself and gather supplies, equipment, weapons, water, and food and find a good location which I know too many to call as my base of operation to survive. Most of the time I do accept help when I need it and I did get some assault rifle at one point and me being nice try to give something like information to the nearest pond, good location, etc.. or whatever I can do to help this guy. However, I rarely help and whenever I do see people I say "you friendly" and just stop and wave and if they don't and stands still and looking odd boom this guy is dead since this game has turn into a KOS deathmatch. Don't assume this game is a KOS there are some good players you just need to use your common sense and stay vigilantly alert when dealing with people in different servers.

Note: When looting a building it is always wise to have your weapon armed and ready if you have a firearm arm it asap.

Then next time please write that instead of making erronous assumptions about my opinion of guns.

I said "you sound like", not "you are". You're the one who said "hold-up-random-newspawns-at-gunpoint-so-we-can-give-them-some-beans" and I was directly addressing it, if you don't like being called out for making generalisations then don't make them.

I have very little interest concerning the motivation of the behaviour I described, since not having done it myself, I would only be able to make uneducated guesses about that. Players can do it because of inflated egos or boredom for all I care, it doesn't change my opinion about it being an extremely daft thing to do.

It sounds like you're interested enough to me, to have this exchange and to repeat the same stereotype.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina
  • Like 1

In fairness what the op is saying is, don't expect any gratitude in return for forced acts of kindness ,or more importantly  come crying to the forums about KOS when some asshole ko's you and steals your own weapon and kills you with it when you were just trying to be helpful. 

Just because he said "heading to the coast to help bambis' your primary aim is just weird" and hes presumes people only help to force some kind of guilt friendship, doesn't justify anything.

A) its a sand box, and anything goes (apart from hacking and glitches)

B) He presumes that everyone who seeks out Bambi's is some kind of tree hugging hippy.

-If they are, nothing wrong with that. Dayz natural selection will educate them. (or they could stay strong to their values and keep trying)

The end of the day, its a food chain!

All these styles feeds off one other, this is what makes the game pure and entertaining. 

• Like 2

I read this post, when it went up and thought wow what a troll post, I hope no-one replies and it vanishes into the depths with a pair of concrete boot's.....

• Like 1

Op is spot on- the min I hit the coast I am usually a ball of white hot rage from my death and loss of gear and am spewing profanities at anyone within ear shot- dont ask me s*it,

Im fists up and bee-lining it right back to my corpse and hopefully to kill the MFer that just clipped me, I dont have time for your weird Red Cross charity and I myself am wondering why the hell you're down here in the land of Bambis, risking a punch to the temple and becoming a fresh spawn yourself.

• Like 1

Just because he said "heading to the coast to help bambis' your primary aim is just weird" and hes presumes people only help to force some kind of guilt friendship, doesn't justify anything.

A) its a sand box, and anything goes (apart from hacking and glitches)

B) He presumes that everyone who seeks out Bambi's is some kind of tree hugging hippy.

-If they are, nothing wrong with that. Dayz natural selection will educate them. (or they could stay strong to their values and keep trying)

The end of the day, its a food chain!

All these styles feeds off one other, this is what makes the game pure and entertaining. 

no he is questioning the presumption that every fresh spawn is a helpless fawn that needs assistance. More often than not he saying they're probably someone really pissed off at being spawned at the beach, who just see heroes as a means of getting re up's on their shit and people are surprised when this happens & come crying..

Edited by Calibre

What makes you think new spawns are newbies?

for me, newbies = newspawns.

nevertheless.

do unarmed players want to obtain some equipement, such as food, guns, drinks, medics, etc.?

Yes, hey want.

so why is it not right to give them something?

If they don't want to be helped, they can say "No, i don't need any help" and go away.

If they want some things, they can say "Hay, thx for the help"

Generally that's why i try to help people with little gear, a little trust goes a long way.

Bambi's are Satan in disguise ;) (Unless of course they're starving, can't let another survivor die of hunger.)

OP is an ass-hat who demands people accept his preferred gaming style without question.

Posts a thread specifically questioning the style of other's gameplay.

hypocrisy.jpg

• Like 7

OP, as there are 3 things to do after getting the "end game gear" you can:

1) Help fresh spawns and kill bandits on the coast

2) KoS and run around Elektro with a M4

3) Go North and torture yourself to death with boredom because there is NOTHING TO DO IN THE GAME YET, IT IS IN ALPHA JESUS CHRIST

no he is questioning the presumption that every fresh spawn is a helpless fawn that needs assistance. More often than not he saying they're probably someone really pissed off at being spawned at the beach, who just see heroes as a means of getting re up's on their shit and people are surprised when this happens & come crying..

And my argument is that they play part of the ecosystem of the game. (smairitains, whether their stupid or smart)

It's like a dog hating a mouse, for not being a cat!

Look you don't see them every time (i see them rarely, my plan is drink then go inland to food, backpack, axe, gun)

When you do, maybe try and kill them or be killed.

or take food and move on

It provide variety to the game.

My point is anything goes..

The good the bad and the ugly...

Edited by Brok21k

Hopefully you'll never find that 'newbie' fresh off the beach that knows exactly where in the face to punch you for that one shot knockdown, takes your weapon straight out your pack seconds after you drop and kills you with it.

You'll rethink the next person you see in jeans and tee shirt as a newbie

Edited by DayZ Shrapnel
  • Like 1

All newbies are newspawns, but nowhere near all newspawns are newbies. Someone who plays the game as a deathmatch is more likely to respawn often than anyone else. Experienced players also die and respawn, sometimes even on purpose.

If they don't want to be helped, they can say "No, i don't need any help" and go away.

If they want some things, they can say "Hay, thx for the help"

Or maybe, instead of taking your charity, they beat you senseless and loot every last bit of gear. Not unlike what happens IRL in some really bad areas.

do unarmed players want to obtain some equipement, such as food, guns, drinks, medics, etc.?

Yes, hey want.

That's basic point of DayZ, they want. But, most of them want to find this by own. In current game stage, is this most interesting part of game, why deprive it? Ok, maybe some of them don't like this part of game - find food, medicine etc? Then their game logically flows into boredom.

Is the OP the first anti-care bear care bear? The only thing I can figure is that he is some kind of Ayn Rand devotee who operates under the false assumption that every human action is motivated solely by self-interest. Are there lots of assholes that think and operate that way? Absolutely (the OP seems to be a prime example). However, there are many others that feel a deep sense of collective responsibility and try to selflessly help others to the best of their ability because they sincerely believe it is the right thing to do. Some of those may be acting because of an anticipated reward (heaven, karma, esteem of others) but many neither seek or expect anything for their helpful actions.

• Like 7