joe_mcentire

What are your biggest concerns and fears regarding the near/far future of the game?

My biggest concern is burning out before the game is finished.

I try not to play it too much.

• Like 2

one of my personal "downfall-of-the-project-along-with-the-community"-ideas ;) are horses. i don't really know why we should need them and what the fuss is all about them?

Pfft, horses, what we really need are dogs. No, wait, wait, rats; what we really need are rats. Oh, hold on a minute, I REALLY think we need cats, or maybe carrier pigeons. Yeah carrier pigeons, they would be so useful, and totally authentic. But then we need falcons too for intercepting enemy pigeons, and hunting rabbits. I NEED a trained falcon NOW!!!

My biggest fear, lack of focus by BI's project management.

Edited by Heiduk

My biggest concern is the vast majority of horrible suggestions coming from a lot of the community and Dean giving into them.

• Like 1

My biggest concern is giving up realism to prevent specific player behavior. Sorry, shooting someones backpack once does not actually ruin its entire contents. Its a mechanism that has been implemented to discourage certain actions and it takes away from the experience. 

I sincerely hope we don't see any more updates based around the meta. Let the "emergent gameplay" emerge, don't suffocate it.

My biggest concern is giving up realism to prevent specific player behavior. Sorry, shooting someones backpack once does not actually ruin its entire contents. Its a mechanism that has been implemented to discourage certain actions and it takes away from the experience. 

I sincerely hope we don't see any more updates based around the meta. Let the "emergent gameplay" emerge, don't suffocate it.

I'm sorry but if you loaded a backpack with stuff and shot it with a high caliber round I'm pretty sure a lot of the items inside it would be ruined

1) Rocket leaves due to stress and the project looses it's way.

2) They give in to the average joe (for future xbox and ps4 options) and writes yet and other Zombie shooter.

I hope it stays very hard, and sales drop. It needs loyal, hardcore followers. It can't be a one size fits all game!

Community driven games on main stream games gets messy.

We're already getting too many posts from bad players who want it easier.

We need to ignore and follow Rockets dream! It's his baby!!!!

• Like 2

font from 1996

Hi.

Sorry to waste space in your thread OP, but, I had to quote this for the lulz. In my thirty something years of playing video games(dating back to pong) this is the 1st time I've ever seen someone complain about the fonts in a game. rotflmao

Thanks Big_T you made my day. :)

• Like 1

I hope it stays very hard, and sales drop. It needs loyal, hardcore followers. It can't be a one size fits all game!

yes because in every business model sales dropping is a good thing

• Like 1

That it will devolve to the point of everyone running around in animal skins carrying bows and arrows. A zombie apocalypse/blue lagoon type scenario.

Edited by zaphodity

I'm sorry but if you loaded a backpack with stuff and shot it with a high caliber round I'm pretty sure a lot of the items inside it would be ruined

I'm sorry but I don't think you realize how large an 80L (mountain) backpack is. Randomized item damage per shot would make much more sense than destroying the entire contents.

• Like 1

I understand it's a selfish idea. But I hope it leaves the lime light, and allows for small but steady growth.

It just sounds like the team are under too much pressure. It can't be sustainable for long periods.

I hope it stays small until the true survival aspects are implemented.

main worry admin abuse server tools when in showing people live 24/7

next is the amount of people who want everything now. i myself dont mind waiting but alot want vehicles today and everything else today not in 6 months or yr. often the next response after telling them its within 6 months is fuck this im off back to the mod !

im loving playing the game at the moment its fresh no abuse from admins and its just me and my skills keep ing me alive. lets keep it this way just ad more content thats good and well be golden ! :)

• Like 1

No, not really. The round would pass through the backpack and damage the stuff it hit, but "a lot of the items?" How? Is it in there zipping around back and forth for a minute before it comes out the other side?

No, not really. The round would pass through the backpack and damage the stuff it hit, but "a lot of the items?" How? Is it in there zipping around back and forth for a minute before it comes out the other side?

well for one if you have an improvised backpack and everything is crammed into it, the bullet can potentially richochet off items and damage contents.

I'm not saying it should happen every time, merely stating its plausibility

private servers with shite easymode mods - 1000 vehicles, spawn with gun etc. Everyone saying "don't play those servers", go fuck yourselves, at the end of the mods life i could not find a single private server not running some variation of that formula. Because that's how private servers pay for themselves, they get donations for being shit. 

I don't think dean will cave, he's probably already funded his game, so unless he decides to leave or is taken off i'm not worried about that. Besides, i haven't seen any evidence that the game is going casual. 

zombies are broken, but because the dev team hasn't made any statements regarding where they want zombies to go it's a little silly to worry either way. We're either getting hard zombies in fewer numbers, or easy zombies in horde mode. I'd like horde mode but 20 or so viciously dangerous fast zombies in a small town would be fine aswell. It doesn't matter as long as they're a definite threat. People are saying "they should do ect before respawning zombies", well that can be worked on while they make sure the server is running steadily off the number of zombies can't it? we're playing an alpha that says "do not buy" we signed up to be fucked with.

The environment is gonna be hard. Think about it, at the moment you go to a ditch and drink 25x water, if the water is contaminated, how are you gonna do that without getting sick every time? Without being able to drink all the water you like, how are you going to regen your health so easy? idk, i might be reading too much into it, but the groundwork is all there, a few more additions and suddenly we're all dying of diarrhea.  

Edited by Capo
  • Like 4

Two main fears for me. First, that it strays away from the open field, no safe zone, complete item loss standard. This I could see happening due to the increased popularity and pressures from the new wave of players thinking this is Left 4 Dead 3. Secondly, they never really get a server/cluster based community started. I wan't to see rivalries, grudges, alliances, and friendships that develop over months and years instead of the anonymity of killing nameless people without reason then just popping over to a new server to find more to do the same to. I don't want server/game based rules to create this, I want the players to create this. But to do so they need ways to identify each other and have some reason to stay within the community (server?) boundary. 

Like Darktide, if anyone gets that reference   :)

Edited by Tenebrous
  • Like 1

I have to agree with gibonez, my main fear is that the dev team/BI will cave into the "make everything convenient for me" type of demands of the casual noobs.

This "would" be a fear however i have faith in Dean Hall's "my way or the hiway" stance.

Yes because this thread is about what a good business model is.

I love this current open alpha state. Where new features are implemented. And the game is finding its own way.

But only small companies can get away with this, my fear is that this game gets too popular too early. A big sponsor or company takes over and it then becomes a pure business model and that it's all about profit.

Currently it's like an artists painting, slowly drawn layers of a persons dream.

Most people thought these types of games were dead because of these financial pressures.

The end of the day, the team are human and can't but help listen to all the feed back. Whether that's constructive or not.

I just hope they stay truthful to the original idea.

Edited by Brok21k
  • Like 1

I never thought I'd agree with the majority of posters in a thread but: Yes, my biggest concern is that the game will become too easy (read: casual). I don't think that it will happeninevitably, but there is a chance.

Why? Just because it's DayZ - it should be hard, unforgiving and sometimes just mean. Players, Zombies, hunger & thirst, maybe weather+temperature (wet clothes->sick) etc. etc. SHOULD be a constant thread.

@creature: "I'm worried there will be too many military weapons." - already stated that, as soon as improvised weapons are introduced, military gear will be super rare...I hope this statement stays and is solid as a rock...et.

And Regarding not enough Zombies...well maybe there is a change soon to be seen: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/170785-big-server-optimization-and-more-zombies-incoming/

Edited by LaughingJack

the player base going from a more die hard mod fan base, to a mainstream lets play DayZ because its popular...

while more people is good, it seems the player base and forum threads have changed immensely.

It just seems way more complaint based, not properly constructive thoughts. just bunch of whiny children without patience or understanding.

That being said, my wish is that rocket and the devs DO NOT pander to the masses.

Stick to the true realism, zombie survival, etc. The original plan for SA.

Lets work on getting things UN-broken instead of adding features for the whiners.

• Like 1

I understand it's a selfish idea. But I hope it leaves the lime light, and allows for small but steady growth.

It just sounds like the team are under too much pressure. It can't be sustainable for long periods.

I hope it stays small until the true survival aspects are implemented.

Well you are right, the influx of new players have and will slowly transform the game into a casual snorefest with unrealistic characteristics.

Hi.

Sorry to waste space in your thread OP, but, I had to quote this for the lulz. In my thirty something years of playing video games(dating back to pong) this is the 1st time I've ever seen someone complain about the fonts in a game. rotflmao

Thanks Big_T you made my day. :)

Yep the fonts need a change man, I have a feeling they were decided by the original operation flashpoint coding team and no one ever bothered to change them. :)

First one to mention? not really. 

Some people care about esthetics. Mostly not game coders though, and hence the current state.

The font is in dire need of change it looks too dated, but this is way way way down on the list in  sure, I doubt they will ever change it.
Edited by Big_T

...and why?

my personal "concerns" and inner fears:

• by far too many "we want to do this/look into that" features which we most likely won't see in the game eventually. - rage/tears/disappointment may emerge.

• zeds will never be the way i personally always imagined them to be or we will never see them in their full potential.

• MMO architecture and load on servers are such a restriction that we will never see "enough" zeds, loot, players, wildlife and other objects.

what are your "deepest" fears and concerns regarding the future of Dayz?

original thread from reddit

People altering their game in ways they can justify to the public to essentially get away with cheating on a moral level.

*cough* so many of you already do this it's sickening *cough cough*