Sign in to follow this  
crimsonbzd

What do we really want as far as Character Progression?

Character Progression  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see persistent character progression at all?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What Types (Choose all that Apply)

• Bases/Saved Gear
    • Character Skills/Upgrades
    • Play Style Based Skins (Bandit/Hero Style)
    • Scars, Damage, Unique Character Marks (Random)
    • Scars, Damage, Unique Character Marks (Based on Play Style)
    • Other (Please comment)

Should I even continue putting text here? Vote away!

Addendum: Sorry, I was unclear. I in no way mean the skills would persistent AFTER death. no no no.

Edited by crimsonBZD
  • Like 1

I want me some hairy legs.

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 2

I want me some hair legs.

OH! I like where you're going.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 1

I want me some hair legs.

This isn't the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney lol

• Like 1

I added a y, I can't spell worth (shit).

I want to be given the option of turning into Darryl Dixon after spending 48 hours in game time on a motorcycle with a crossbow

The only kind of persistence I'd like to see are traits that 1) are in line with a character surviving (like BEARDS!), and 2) that have no effect aside from aesthetics. Once your character dies, you should start from scratch, otherwise: permadeath loses its luster. I have mixed feelings about tents and bases, too, though I've used them (and vehicles) in the mod.

• Like 2

The only kind of persistence I'd like to see are traits that 1) are in line with a character surviving (like BEARDS!), and 2) that have no effect aside from aesthetics. Once your character dies, you should start from scratch, otherwise: permadeath loses its luster. I have mixed feelings about tents and bases, too, though I've used them (and vehicles) in the mod.

I'm sorry if I was unclear, I might edit the OP to reflect this.

I'm not suggesting a change in perma-death, you would lose any "skills/upgrades" you gained that life.

This mechanic simply suggests an implemented reason for your character's survivability beyond gear.

No artificial skills you can grind to max, please.

Keep the game skills based, in the sense that personal knowledge and experience help the player, not some bonus for eating 15 bloodbags in a row.

• Like 3

I didn't vote yes to the character skills questions - but I was a maybe.  I don't want to see some skill tree progression type system - just completely unneeded.  I like the fact that this game doesn't show measurable character stats in any way.  I think that's perfect.  I mean, if you want statistics of some kind perhaps the Devs can institute a journal.  Find a blank book and pen, then combine then via crafting into a journal - from there game tracks maybe sequence of locations visited, time spent in game, zombie kills, player kills, etc.  Sorry, I digress.

What would be nice is if certain things get tracked, such as zombie kills, player kills, player trades, player gifting, items crafted, animals hunted, time spent crouched/prone(stealthy), etc.  Then the game could give you a little moniker or title in a corner of the player view screen, opposite of where it displays your statuses say.  You hunt animals?  It says some blurb like "I like to hunt."  You've hunted and killed 100 animals? It says "I am the master of the wild, nothing escapes my sight." or whatever.  Maybe on the 100th kill it gives you an option to craft a unique fur cap from the carcass.  Use this option for anything you can think is worth tracking.  Not sure about it granting any kind of in game benefit, but in the example above maybe it returns more meat portions - goes from 2 to 3 portions per animal or whatever.  That would be the most I'd do with it in terms of affecting the game.

Stuff like that would be great.

I think that character progression (in any way) would add to immersion and bond between player and his avatar. In other words - you would value your life more. Dying would not only deprive you of your weapons and gear, but all that skills and experience (again, in any way) you gathered from playing.

Progression gives value to life instead of just equipment carried and has rewards for lengthy survival instead of lengthy playtime and running back to your body.

Could even implement steam survival based achievments. It doesn't add anything to the game but gives personal goals for bragging rights

Edited by akafugitive

Nothing that equates to an advantage to one player over another. Cosmetic things are ok. Anything else is not needed or required and would simply be something that players would grind for.

All players should start out the same, and should stay that way (except for location, gear, etc.)

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 1

I disagree. Slight advantage would be okay. It's the same as having better gear than other player. To gain both you will need to spend some time (not counting some weird situations where you happen to kill fully geared player with bare hands soon after respawning).

I want me a beard.

Facial hair would be pretty awesome.

I take it that "saved gear" = tents etc. ... All in for that sort of stuff. (Other kinds of "bases" just seems unworkable, really.)

I'd love skills, but so many dislike the idea, that I'll just let it pass.

Also, what do you mean by "persistent". I hope you aren't assuming skills to accumulate accross character lives?

I want to be given the option of turning into Darryl Dixon after spending 48 hours in game time on a motorcycle with a crossbow

I second this shit! 

character skill tree = big no no imo. Other stuff mentioned they are already planning / working on. There will be beards, visibly worn gear and clothes etc. This sounds pretty cool, if every character in game looks totally unique longer they survive. Hopefully visible scars, bandages, splints and others too at some point.

edit: I wouldn't mind tents sometime soon. Don't think they would make game too easy. After all they can be looted by other players if found and there is bit of challenge to get there after death or find if properly hidden. 

Edited by sdry

Probably respeccing balance for next airfield raid.

CO5N9VQ.png?1

Edited by Dallas

I'm bumping awaaayy... With no regards to the community...

Sing it!

For me:

1) Body morphology (shape/build) that changes with nutritional status and physical activity. Growing beards and hair (that can be roughly cropped with a knife).

2) Some subtle under-the-hood improvements in speed or success rate of some activities with practice. Initially steep then diminishing returns (as with skill learning in reality).

For me:

1) Body morphology (shape/build) that changes with nutritional status and physical activity. Growing beards and hair (that can be roughly cropped with a knife).

2) Some subtle under-the-hood improvements in speed or success rate of some activities with practice. Initially steep then diminishing returns (as with skill learning in reality).

I like this - simple, but adds value to your character's life at the same time.