Sign in to follow this  
Jesse_James

Modern Weapons

I understand it is still early, but what is going on with all of these WW2 era weapons? With the exception of the M4, all the rifles in the game are outdated uncommon weapons.

WW2 weapons 5eva.

They're not exactly cap-guns, and their ability to blow a hole in a man isn't out-dated either. These weapons were designed to make sure the German you just shot was definitely, beyond a smidgen of a doubt, absolutely dead. My personal preference is towards these guns, since i prefer the style they encourage that steers away from the super-leet mega-tactics mil-sim Arma spill-over gameplay squads that run rampant in Dayz.  Gameplay that is more about organising deathmatches  against other super-leet mega tactics mil-sim Arma spill-over gameplay squads, and less about organising scavenger squads, town guards, traders, collectors. That sorta thang.

I suppose, also, you're likely to find these sorts of weapons around civilian areas. These, and an AK47 for every pillow on every bed in the house.

I like it like this!

Edited by Scerun
  • Like 1

I prefer the style of guns that they are going for in SA.

If you enjoy modern weapons I can recommend Arma III

Modern weapons are boring. Too many hightech weapons would actually ruin the gameplay because it would be to easy to kill.

I like the fact that you can't camp 1000meters away and snipe a moving target with precision. You have to be really good and/or lucky to pull that off.

• Like 1

Well, this is not Arma. 

Chernorussia is an outdated, post-communistic nation. So the soviet-ww2-guns have to be common. And I like it. 

And btw.: In the most countries the most common civillian weapons are very outdated huntsmen-weapons. The people in europe just don't hunt with their m249SAW. And don't own weapons for non-professional pourposes either. 

• Like 1

The only modern-ish weapon I'd want to see is the AK-74 and the older, AKM model

With the exception of the M4, all the rifles in the game are outdated uncommon weapons.

Uncommon.

Right.

It would make sense for AK's to be in the area where DayZ is set.  It's common weapon across that area.  Otherwise you have to look at where you loot this stuff.  The M4 drops in military areas... makes perfect sense.  Anywhere else... you're talking local government buildings... homes... industrial areas... it would make sense to have "hunting rifles" and not combat weapons.

You get kind of tired reminding folks that this isn't a military simulation... or a FPS.  It's horror survival... where a lot of the "horror" comes from KOS players and the zombies are obstacles to your survival. 

It should be evident from the first time you spawn what this is.  "You wake up, remember nothing, you're on a beach... GO!"  Remember this and you'll never ask another "How come..." question again.

Plus there is only 1 rifle right now.  1 shotgun, 1 Military rifle, and 2 pistols.   So not sure why you are saying whats up with "ALL" these old rifles...    ALPHA.  wait for it and more stuff will come around.

• Like 1

The most modern weapon should be the AK-74M - relatively accurate to the kind of the hardware the Chernarussians should be using.

Plus, the marines still use the M4/M16, so we shouldn't be seeing any Remington ACRS, HK416a5s, or SCAR-Ls around.

They don't need to add butt-ugly modern weapons as such, that being the only point behind adding in butt-ugly modern weapons, they should add in weapons representative of the country and the Marine Corp. For example, we won't be seeing too many AS-50s around, but in future, we may see M40s, M21s, M16s, that stuff. On the CDF side, we should be seeing SVD Dragunovs, Saiga 12 and Makarovs.

Civilians should have a plethora of weapons, and will probably be the most interesting. They could range from hunting rifles to pump-action shotguns, and compound bows, crossbows, and regular longbows.

Still waiting on .22's, so we can have semi common guns with common ammo, i understand why military ammo is more rare but i like shooting stuff moar than meleeing stuff.

Well, this is not Arma. 

Chernorussia is an outdated, post-communistic nation. So the soviet-ww2-guns have to be common. And I like it. 

And btw.: In the most countries the most common civillian weapons are very outdated huntsmen-weapons. The people in europe just don't hunt with their m249SAW. And don't own weapons for non-professional pourposes either. 

Fully understandable...but if you are going to include the M4 in the game...the AKM is a must. 

Edited by Jesse_James

I am not so sure about that. How many full-face motorcycle helmets did you see during that time period?

its not about a certain time period. its about proliferation. there were around 45.000.000 mosins of different variants built since its introduction in the 1890s in Russia/SU, with many nations producing licensed versions.. 45 different nations used Mosins at some point in the military, from Afghanistan over Finland to Israel. SU stockpiled large amounts of well-preserved rifles which flooded the markets after the fall of the Union.

Now, how many M4 carbines, manufactered since mid90s, do you think were introduced during the emergency response to the apocalypse in comparison?

This is not a military simulator, I'm pretty sure any post-soviet country has lots and lots of cheap Mosins used as hunting rifles, owned by citizens. It's not all about latest military gear. Even though I'm pretty sure we will be getting 5.45 AK's soon.

Edited by Sutinen

I understand it is still early, but what is going on with all of these WW2 era weapons? With the exception of the M4, all the rifles in the game are outdated uncommon weapons.

The FNX is brand new, brah.