Sign in to follow this  
SEC9 VANDEL

Zombies...What do you think?

So... Just wanted to get a general consensus on what people think should be done with the zombies as far as killing them.

I mainly wanted to see what the communities thoughts are on the mechanics of killing zombies.

Here are my thoughts :

1 ) Change mechanics to where if a player uses a gun to kill a zombie, you must make a headshot.

2 ) If you use a melee weapon the player can hit the zombie on any part of its undead body. Trying to get a headshot with a melee weapon may be too challenging.

I think this would add a more "realistic" feel to DayZ and offer more of a challenge to killing zombies.

As the game is right now, Zombies are more of an inconvience.

Lets keep this thread productive and as professional as possible.

What do you think?

So... Just wanted to get a general consensus on what people think should be done with the zombies as far as killing them.

I mainly wanted to see what the communities thoughts are on the mechanics of killing zombies.

Here are my thoughts :

1 ) Change mechanics to where if a player uses a gun to kill a zombie, you must make a headshot.

2 ) If you use a melee weapon the player can hit the zombie on any part of its undead body. Trying to get a headshot with a melee weapon may be too challenging.

I think this would add a more "realistic" feel to DayZ and offer more of a challenge to killing zombies.

As the game is right now, Zombies are more of an inconvience.

Lets keep this thread productive and as professional as possible.

What do you think?

I believe that this is a moot point, because the zombie AI is just a placeholder right now. I feel it the devs time would be better spent continuing on reworking the zombies entirely from the mod, instead of implementing a system to make them a little more difficult for the time being.

Well from what i understand if you read the patch notes they ARE making the military zombies much tougher to kill in general. But that i could see being more of a challenge.

Why would it be realistic to need a headshot to kill a zombie? Besides being an absurd reference to the zombie mythos, it actually makes no sense. In Day Z, the zombies are little more than people infected by some disease. This doesn't make them any less susceptible to damage than the rest of us. If I shoot a zombie center-mass with a decent-power rifle or shotgun, I expect that bastard to go down.  

Why would it be realistic to need a headshot to kill a zombie? Besides being an absurd reference to the zombie mythos, it actually makes no sense. In Day Z, the zombies are little more than people infected by some disease. This doesn't make them any less susceptible to damage than the rest of us. If I shoot a zombie center-mass with a decent-power rifle or shotgun, I expect that bastard to go down.  

I agree they need to be reworked and I understand that they are a placeholder right now... What im talking about are some ideas for the future.

How do you know that it wouldnt be realistic? From what I understood you had to kill the brain to take down a zombie.

Yes, patch notes did say that some zombies are going to be stonger than others. but why not make them all a bit stronger by impletmenting a change to the way that they are delt with. Its a Zombie game afterall not COD or Battlefield.

Zombies in DayZ are not undead but infected, the whole "blow to the head" mechanic adapted from fantasy-horror does not work here. They are basically normal humans, their brains just no longer work correctly.

Creating undead zombies would need magic, or at least some sort of demonic posession (which I'd count as magic) or another spiritual process (magic).

Edited by Baarn
  • Like 2

I think the zombies should work more like players where they can get hit and start bleeding but still keep coming. Give them a slower bleed rate than humans eventually healing itself, and a bit more health/blood and increased resistance to shock damage. This way headshot do massive amounts of damage and would probably kill most zombies, but shots to other places still hurt them.

Wouldn't it be awesome beating the crap out of a zombie and thinking he died, but a minute or two later he wakes up and tries crawling at you with broken legs? Maybe make it so zombies that feed on humans become more healthy and harder to kill. The pack of zombies who just ate your friend will be a bigger threat than normal.

So much potential. I just don't want to see them immune to bullets unless it's a head shot. They're still physically the same as us, they're just infected with rage.

• Like 4

I think the zombies should work more like players where they can get hit and start bleeding but still keep coming. Give them a slower bleed rate than humans eventually healing itself, and a bit more health/blood and increased resistance to shock damage. This way headshot do massive amounts of damage and would probably kill most zombies, but shots to other places still hurt them.

Wouldn't it be awesome beating the crap out of a zombie and thinking he died, but a minute or two later he wakes up and tries crawling at you with broken legs? Maybe make it so zombies that feed on humans become more healthy and harder to kill. The pack of zombies who just ate your friend will be a bigger threat than normal.

So much potential. I just don't want to see them immune to bullets unless it's a head shot. They're still physically the same as us, they're just infected with rage.

I would have to disagree with them being just infected like 28 days and weeks latter zombies. In FACT if you didnt notice parts of 28 weeks latter there were instances where ppl had been eaten and had things like the Adams apple ripped out etc, and LITERALLY came back to life after lying dead for a few minutes. So i mean you cant really say they are not zombies at that point to be honest.

Edited by Deathlove

I would have to disagree with them being just infected like 28 days and weeks latter zombies. In FACT if you didnt notice parts of 28 weeks latter there were instances where ppl had been eaten and had things like the Adams apple ripped out etc, and LITERALLY came back to life after lying dead for a few minutes. So i mean you cant really say they are not zombies at that point to be honest.

The game isn't 28 weeks later, it doesn't have to follow their model exactly.

The game isn't 28 weeks later, it doesn't have to follow their model exactly.

That is true but im assuming they wanted to go the more 28 Days/weeks movie kind of mythos since you did call it the rage virus after all lol. Your right though as fare as we know it could be a parasite in there body like a slug or something effecting them as fare as anyone knows.

Did Rocket EVEN clarify or think of a name for the damn virus yet? lol

Edited by Deathlove

yeah until its confirmed there actually ''undead'' I don't think they need head shots, so as far as shooting a human body in the chest or chopping it with an axe...it probably on takes one to stop it.

yeah until its confirmed there actually ''undead'' I don't think they need head shots, so as far as shooting a human body in the chest or chopping it with an axe...it probably on takes one to stop it.

Have you even tested killing them in the new patch yet? I hear the military ones are harder. I havent gotten around to trying it yet.

Someone suggested to Hicks having zombies you can only kill with headshots for hardcore mode, he responded in such a way that makes me think they might actually consider it, but it was just a tweet response, so nothing concrete.

https://twitter.com/Hicks_206/status/422821181222162432

To be honest, I would be very happy with having that, my only concern is with zombies already running around rather then being shamblers, combined with other factors such as desync, it might be just a tad too unforgiving, even for hardcore, I would be willing to trial it though and see how it would actually play, before saying it wouldn't work, but I can understand if they decide not to do it.

Someone suggested to Hicks having zombies you can only kill with headshots for hardcore mode, he responded in such a way that makes me think they might actually consider it, but it was just a tweet response, so nothing concrete.

https://twitter.com/Hicks_206/status/422821181222162432

To be honest, I would be very happy with having that, my only concern is with zombies already running around rather then being shamblers, combined with other factors such as desync, it might be just a tad too unforgiving, even for hardcore, I would be willing to trial it though and see how it would actually play, before saying it wouldn't work, but I can understand if they decide not to do it.

Well they gotta do something cause right now there kind of a joke. I know masses are coming but even still if your calm you would be able to take out a large horde NP with the right gun and strategy.

it has been confirmed many times that our DayZ zeds are no undead Romero or Walking Dead zombies but infected like in 28 days later. Rocket even has confirmed that his brother has created a plausible background of the virus which can be found later on in journals etc. So no headshots....but I would expect them to attack you even with broken legs or their guts hanging out ....

More interesting question is how their senses will work...how they will detect a player..

Edited by Private Evans

it has been confirmed many times that our DayZ zeds are no undead Romero or Walking Dead zombies but infected like in 28 days later. Rocket even has confirmed that his brother has created a plausible background of the virus which can be found later on in journals etc. So no headshots....but I would expect them to attack you even with broken legs or their guts hanging out ....

More interesting question is how their senses will work...how they will detect a player..

But 28 weeks latter made them more zombie like than what 28 days did. My point being ppl ACTUALLY had body parts ripped off died than came back.

I dont think you saw anyone reanimate like that in 28 Days. Of coarse they were on a tighter budget in the first film i imagine

And as senses go i think there out of wack right now but when they start nailing things down with the AI we are going to see some drastic changes in stealth. Maybe they can smell us if we dont use deodorant and stuff like that..

Edited by Deathlove

I would not say that they came back but were pumped full of adenaline caused by the rage virus....and this is what I mean by still attacking you with their guts hanging out. As far as I understand the Rage virus, it makes you feel no pain and ultra aggressive. Infected would try to attack you until they are dead no matter how wounded they are...

Edited by Private Evans

I want zombies to be real treat I want them to attack me and kill me...i want a lot of them that's all I want..

Bullet to the head, game over for them.

Melee attack, Slows them down.

Wasn't there a suggestion of having them slower based on how long they were alive for and their feeding habits?

no, no headshot only, no, need more zombie though 

So its seems a few of you are experts on the zombies in day z already. Where did you find all this information? I want to see it.

A 225 km2 open world post-soviet state and one of the areas hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population, now infected with the disease.

Quoted from the dayz mod site. (unlikely that this changed from mod to standalone)

You might consider the zombies dead, their brain seems like it doesn't work any more (at least not as it used to, probably only controls vital functions, movement and perception). However they are clearly not "risen from the grave"-Zombies and neither brain-scorcher-mind-controlled Zombies.

The specifics about the disease are unknown, I often think about them being something similar to the Zombie-Ants.

While there is only a shell left of what once was a human being, I see no reason not to assume that the body still has to be supplied with nutrients and still needs blood flowing through it. Possibly at a very reduced rate as parts of the body might have been shut down, maybe even enter some sort of hibernation while not actively hunting.

Quoted from the dayz mod site. (unlikely that this changed from mod to standalone)

You might consider the zombies dead, their brain seems like it doesn't work any more (at least not as it used to, probably only controls vital functions, movement and perception). However they are clearly not "risen from the grave"-Zombies and neither brain-scorcher-mind-controlled Zombies.

The specifics about the disease are unknown, I often think about them being something similar to the Zombie-Ants.

While there is only a shell left of what once was a human being, I see no reason not to assume that the body still has to be supplied with nutrients and still needs blood flowing through it. Possibly at a very reduced rate as parts of the body might have been shut down, maybe even enter some sort of hibernation while not actively hunting.

That isn't how metabolism works. If a body part "shuts down" and receives no blood/oxygen, it dies and necroses. No disease actually works like that, except for gangrene and certain skin/tissue necrologies, and they are rather well understood, from what I know.

Have you even tested killing them in the new patch yet? I hear the military ones are harder. I havent gotten around to trying it yet.

yes of course, same thing one shot or one chop and they die...its no diff

So its seems a few of you are experts on the zombies in day z already. Where did you find all this information? I want to see it.

Here you go, some old quotes from Rocket

Posted 26 May 2012 - 03:43 PM

Many, many threads about this.

Fortunately/unfortunately, Romero isn't making this mod. And personally I think even if he was, he would want to try something different instead of rehashing the same stuff again and again. 

source http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/6414-romero-style-zombies/#entry65945

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:08 PM

I never said i'm not changing them.

I said the premise of them won't change.

They are not classic zombies, they are infected people. I have new animations, a whole bunch of stuff to add. But that will come later. 

source http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/6455-reply-to-rocket-about-zombie-ai/#entry66664

And heres the classic "Rocket Said..." thread, Might be a good read for the new players who are not so familiar with the original design philosophy behind DayZ, just remember a lot of the specifics may have changed since then, but the basic idea of the game has always been the same.

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/24112-rocket-said-post-resurrected-updated-88/?hl=virologist

Ironically digging up these old threads felt very much like resurrecting the dead...