Sign in to follow this  
Grimey Rick

One Kill On Sight Thread To Rule Them All!

Okay, from what I've been reading the past week or so since I joined these forums is that the vast majority of players seem to dislike kill-on-sight behaviour. That's cool. I can understand that. I began playing the game disliking the kill-on-sight approach as well. However, what I don't understand is whether or not these people realize just how boring this game would be if no one killed other players on sight. Think about it for a minute...

STOP TYPING. Think!

Where would the rush go that can only be achieved when you feel your character is in extreme danger? Are artificially intelligent zombies going to replicate that? Nope.

What successful video game had no villains?! That's how we should be looking at it. Yesterday I played the role of the hero. Today, depending on my mood, I might play the role of the villain, which brings me to my next point: Being a hero isn't like your blood type. You're not born a hero. Who you are in real life reflects very little on how you play a video game. It's a playstyle that can change day-to-day; heck, it can even change minute-to-minute. Just because you kill someone in DayZ doesn't make you a psychopath in real life. It doesn't mean you're immature, either. All it means is at that particular instance in time you felt like changing your role in this amazing game.

Gunfights in this game actually mean something. It's a constant battle for survival in Chernarus, and whether you choose to help out a new player or gun down a veteran for no other reason than you want his supplies, you're contributing to the in-game society. This is the most visceral video game I've ever played. Your survival depends on the decisions you make on the fly.

If you run around playing a survival game with the sole intent to help people to the point it jeopardizes your own safety, then technically, you're doing it wrong. The people who are killing on sight technically have a better grasp of the game than you as they're insuring their own survival. They don't care about you. They care about taking your supplies and removing you from the equation so that they can press on. Simply dismissing kill-on-sight while praising hero-type behaviour is ignorant.

Am I saying you should never help people? No, I'm not. Help as many people as you're able, as long as it doesn't inhibit your survival. That, to me, is the core ideal of this game. Killing everyone you see on sight is valid. Being a hero is valid. Utilizing both approaches as you deem necessary is valid.

TL;DR:

There is no right way to play DayZ, so let's stop filling every thread with pointless debate. Play the game how you see fit. Make decisions that insure the survival of your character. In a zombie apocalypse, you need to be able to kill loved ones without remorse in order to protect yourself and anyone else with you. Help others when you can. Kill others as necessary.

Live to see another day!

• Like 16

still not sure if attention whore or serious asset to community...

but i think i like you, rick. +1

Kill or be Killed       -> This comment completed the thread

/Wave

I just finished watching a video where I think the guy sums it up how I feel.

"Any Neanderthal can kill on sight. It takes real skill to risk your life to make a new friend, especially when you only return fire when you have been engaged. That said you must respect your opponent. If bandits didn't exist we wouldn't have any competition in DayZ so you cant diss them too much."

• Like 5

Nothing wrong with PVE servers and I find it odd that players don't acknowledge that even on these servers that you can get robbed, camp raided and destroyed, be hunted, and yes killed. What is discouraged in these servers is killing coastal spawns and or people strictly murdering with no interaction aside from bullets. It doesn't make sense to play this way because it's not banditry in because the loots generally ruined and there was no attempt at communication.

Edited by Canned Muffins

still not sure if attention whore or serious asset to community...

but i think i like you, rick. +1

// bats eyelashes, adjusts cleavage //

Who, li'l ol' me?

• Like 2

henche why iam strongly against unique identifyers for bandits/heroes...gah...

I hope the bandit and hero thing never gets implemented into the standalone. I saw the mod and thought that with those two "factions" having their own skin and clothes would be a disaster. I mean, are we in a survival situation, or a war between two factions?

Edited by AntonioAJC

I was going around the harbor at Electro with my friend. We were just scavenging stuff and looking for a second weapon, when all of a sudden he gets shot. Luckily he didn't die, and we were able to take cover in a building nearby and patch him up with bandages and saline. Then we started looking for the shooter, and eventually found him sitting on one of the cranes. The moments when we were running from cover to cover trying to locate this hostile element, knowing that every wrong step could possible be our last, were the most intense moments I've had in a long time in any game. We ended up taking him down and getting some loot as compensation for our troubles.

If it wasn't for the shooter, and his KoS mentality. I would have never experienced that. So I do appreciate the "service" they provide.

Killing unarmed players is another matter though, one that I cannot get behind. At least for me, the player has to have a weapon of "equal standing" compared to what I may have, for me to engage him. Yesterday I had my sniper scopes on plenty of people running around in Elektro... Did I fire a single bullet? No. (Well I did once, but that was a zombie sitting at 700m, and I wanted to target practice :) )

Edited by Badass Preacher

Well

If you run around playing a survival game with the sole intent to help people to the point it jeopardizes your own safety, then technically, you're doing it wrong.

Live to see another day!

I wish there was more than just running around though...

I mean what's the point of surviving in this game ?

Kill to get more guns to kill to get more guns to kill to get more guns....

Groundhog Day in Chernarus...

Wtf, every KoS thread thinks they have the final solution or explanation, so this is basicly just another standard thread about a subject that has been discussed to death

• Like 1

The people who are killing on sight technically have a better grasp of the game than you as they're insuring their own survival. They don't care about you. They care about taking your supplies and removing you from the equation so that they can press on. Simply dismissing kill-on-sight while praising hero-type behaviour is ignorant.

I'd have to disagree. People who KoS are in general not trying (it seems) to determine if you are enemy or friend. They kill, and will never know if that dead person would have been helpful or not. That is not the best way to survive in such an environment. Eliminating a possibility before you can even confirm or dismiss it due to paranoia....well, I would stay miles away from that person in a zombie situation.

No player can know in advance, and killing on sight eliminates just as many postives as negatives, but in a real life zombie situation I'm guessing more positives than negatives would cease to exist.

Killing others, if we are talking realism and such, would simply home the zombies in on the last man standing...you.

The point is that KoS is a short sighted mentality.  If the ultimate "end game" is just going to be more PvP, then this game won't achieve the greatness we all feel it potentially has.  Every game has douche nozzles.  And as a gaming community playing in an Alpha we have the power to guide and push the development along in certain directions.  They {devs} are watching us.  They are tracking us.  They are listening to us.  They may not be responding much but all we can do is have faith that they have a general plan in place for what this game becomes.

At this stage the game has so many unique elements that set it apart from a CoD or Battlefield game.  Why devolve it into just another mediocre squad Vs squad FPS.  That makes no sense.  These things have their place in a game like this, don't get me wrong.  Hopefully it becomes a fleshed out and organic experience instead of, "there's nothing else to do so I just KoS."     

• Like 1

There is no right way to play DayZ, so let's stop filling every thread with pointless debate. Play the game how you see fit. Make decisions that insure the survival of your character. In a zombie apocalypse, you need to be able to kill loved ones without remorse in order to protect yourself and anyone else with you. Help others when you can. Kill others as necessary.

Live to see another day!

Don't take SURVIVAL as a justification for KoSing.

KoSing is NOT the right decision if you want to survive.

I used to check the average life span of players on a few private hives where I played the mod.

KoSers / bandits die more often than peaceful players.

KOS has its place it likely will never go away but for me i have far more entertaining encounters with people when i dont shoot them without talking to them.

Usually attempt ( remembering i play in first person view) to get in a position of advantage then make contact sometimes this turns into meeting a friend sometimes it means meeting what i class as the lower spectrum of the KOS crowd the guy who can do nothing else so will blindly try turning to shoot on me when its a straight pull and your dead for me.)

Or the intelligent KOSer who will adapt and talk lowering my guard and maybe getting to kill me when he is clever.

Sometimes they make a good dash to get away find cover and a gun fight begins with the bullets flying and my heart pumping in these i may die or i may kill them but damn it was exciting.

Hiding in a bush or on a hill just waiting to kill the few guys who come past is rather boring to me but i dont want to stop the players who do this ( although i think they could get more from the game) they add the tension there the reason i take carefull moves going around the map there the reason i take such care when i make contact with a player.

Does this get me killed more often than if i just straight KOS sure but then my average game life is around 20 hours before dying so i am doing alright surviving getting tense action as it is at the end of the day if i die and had an awesome adrenaline rush i figure i just won the game harder than the koser who took me out having been hidden or on first sight of my back from a building etc.

Keep rocking KOS crew i enjoy  the tension you bring and it gives me stuff to do when i do get bored ill head to the coast and find the obvious fresh spawn KOSer and then there is no communication i am free to pull the trigger and smile...

I play by the rules of only engaging when fired upon. So you better kill me your first shot or you'll be sorry.

FOOD FOR THOUGHT:

Q. If I kill fresh spawns am I a poor excuse for a player?

A. No. There have been times were a spawn has knocked me out.

Q. If a fresh spawn knocks me out am I a bad player?

A. No. You were either to trusting, or read to much into people calling spawn killers bad players.

Q. How do you approach spawn killing as a topic?

A. Kill them when they don't listen, kill them if they are fist up, kill them if you feel like it.

Q. Is KOS super bad, am I a villan?

A. No. You are killing because you don't want to die. You will eventually have options and can make your own choice on what you'd like to do with these people as the situation unfolds.

Q. Why do people complain about KOS?

A. Because they died, and because they know you're taking their shit and they have to start over.

Q. Are their other reason's people complain about KOS?

A. Sure, you won. Threads will continue to pour in about this topic, ever time you see one rest assured that they'd have done the same to you. Please keep in mind, "Freindly" mean's you've lost control or are in a losing situation and is basically asking for mercy. I've come to find that the same person that killed me is friendly until armed.

Q. Are some people actually nice?

A. Yes, this usually has something to do with them having the upper hand and showing mercy however. KOS is usually an oppourtunity kill that yeilds the killer more loot to ensure longer survival.

Q. If I combat log during a gunfight that I started, or during any form of combat in the game, is this bad? What does this mean?

A. It means you are an asshole.

Edited by Deepfryer

I'd love to see systems that encouraged players away from KOS.  For example sanity/remorse systems that give prolific killers certain drawbacks, or giving non-killers the ability to get certain perks / benefits only when working cooperatively, etc.

Personally, I'd prefer by far to talk / negotiate with other players, form temporary alliances against bandits / zombies, and help others achieve goals - all without having to expect that I'm about to get a bullet to the back of my head.  :huh:

But the choice to play as a KOS psycho should obviously remain, and there should be no way to identify KOS pre-dispostion in advance, or the tension would be lost.

Edited by FatboyTim

Rick, you go outside, you risk your lives

You play dayz, you risk your lives,

We are moving spaghetti Tuesday to Saturday. 

Not going to happen.

Why even bother writing a wall of text

That wasn't a wall of text. Foot in mouth!

k, you seem to be a walking dead fan, let e put it in perspective, rick is just standing around, with nothing, would governor kill him? no, he hasn't got anything.

governor sees rick in a prison, that's enough reason for the governor to risk war with him.

so I don't like KoS when there's no reason behind it, or ignorant people shooting at people with no gear.

although, I feel your opinion is like just as valid, who wants to play a game and feel safe when there's like, an apocalypse? who likes running through a city without a risk? who likes being shot without being given a chance to do anything about it? I guess there's some center ground, I shoot people when they don't listen, when they do odd movements, when they don't talk, when they pull out fists and run at me. but usually ill hold back until I know there's immediate danger, ill usually, when given the chance, ask "why are you shooting at me?" or "if you think I'm a bandit I'm not, please stop shooting or you risk your own life as well as the others around you" id like a more theme based ending "I died because I was hurting people" rather then " I died because I was walking through a small town and someone axed me in the skull" I don't know, that's just me, I think people who deserve death should get it, then again...

The good die young.

the man a few messages above me is right, should be some sort of way to score how good you are, even if theres a tab counting how many people you bandage/ met within 10 yards of and didn't kill each other.